Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-02-2019, 05:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Vacation Foibles

So, I'm on a "working vacation". I've been in California at my mom's house working on projects to get her house ready to sell.
Well, yesterday was "paint day". My cousin started the day with primer, and when she was leaving I took over. I got on the stepstool (2nd step), sprayed one spot, and as I got down to move the stool my shoe cover caught on the glue-like step, and down I went!!
I broke my wrist!!! And of course it was my right wrist! Ugh!! (pictures below)

So, my question is... what is your worst vacation foible?

I think this LO is self-explanatory now:

Old 07-02-2019, 06:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no! Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

First....OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to jinx myself. I don't have any from vacations....lol
But I'm a clumsy gal, so I've got stories to tell. lol

Old 07-02-2019, 07:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ouch! That looks painful! I almost fell on Sunday when I tripped from a protruded root of a huge tree, but thankfully I caught myself lest I embarrass my husband and daughter if I did and they will need to pick me up
Old 07-02-2019, 08:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

aww poor Tammy!
Old 07-02-2019, 08:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no, Tammy! I'm sorry you got hurt. I hope you feel better soon.

I'm none too graceful. I always have mystery bruises that I don't remember how I got because I run into things so often.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry Tammy! Right hand would be rough!!

I don't have a vacation injury, but I did do this a week or so ago. I pimped out my ride. :P
Old 07-02-2019, 11:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
Oh no! Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kiana*~ View Post
First....OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to jinx myself. I don't have any from vacations....lol
But I'm a clumsy gal, so I've got stories to tell. lol
LOL! I love a good klutz story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrygutz View Post
Ouch! That looks painful! I almost fell on Sunday when I tripped from a protruded root of a huge tree, but thankfully I caught myself lest I embarrass my husband and daughter if I did and they will need to pick me up
I'm always embarrassing my family! I'm glad you're okay, Cherry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
aww poor Tammy!
Thank you, Lea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
Oh no, Tammy! I'm sorry you got hurt. I hope you feel better soon.

I'm none too graceful. I always have mystery bruises that I don't remember how I got because I run into things so often.
Thank you, Lynn!
I can relate about bruises. I'm always getting them, but usually don't remember how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
I'm sorry Tammy! Right hand would be rough!!

I don't have a vacation injury, but I did do this a week or so ago. I pimped out my ride. :P
Oh no, Cindi!! How did you do that?? I love your pimped out ride!
Old 07-02-2019, 11:39 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Speedy recovery for you, Tammy!
So far, thankfully, I've got nothing like breaking bones, but I did get really sick with a cold when we went to Singapore last year. I had to take a day of sleep to recover.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh no!! Sending speedy recovery vibes!

As I always say, Grace isn't my middle name... haha... I think my worst fall on vacation was when coming off the plane in Venice Italy, the jet bridge dipped down and back up in like a step... in the US, there would be yellow tape, signs, etc... not there... and bam, knee locks and I face planted. My glasses go flying and I got a good goose egg on my forehead. All I cared about was my glasses - here the first day of our 10 day vacation (and my brother-in-law's wedding)... what would I do if my glasses were broken? I was so lucky - they were bent, but still wearable. I don't know if I should be happy or sad - but no one saw me fall so they didn't believe me (well, except my mom - parents were on this trip, too - and husband who know my inability to walk like a normal person)..
Old 07-03-2019, 07:09 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post

As I always say, Grace isn't my middle name... haha... I think my worst fall on vacation was when coming off the plane in Venice Italy, the jet bridge dipped down and back up in like a step... in the US, there would be yellow tape, signs, etc... not there... and bam, knee locks and I face planted. My glasses go flying and I got a good goose egg on my forehead. All I cared about was my glasses - here the first day of our 10 day vacation (and my brother-in-law's wedding)... what would I do if my glasses were broken? I was so lucky - they were bent, but still wearable. I don't know if I should be happy or sad - but no one saw me fall so they didn't believe me (well, except my mom - parents were on this trip, too - and husband who know my inability to walk like a normal person)..
That sounded so painful, Reba. Ouch!
Old 07-03-2019, 09:26 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Oh no that is terrible! Here's to fast healing!
I don't have one of myself, but last year my mother had my twins for a summer vacation, they took a road trip from Oklahoma out to Arizona and back.
On the last day she was supposed to have them, she took them roller skating. Long story short she fell and broke both her wrists, 1 week before my family was going on vacation to Florida. So I had to leave my best friend's engagement party, drive down to Oklahoma, take care of my mom, get her situated, drive 10 hours home with my kids on Thursday, went to work Friday, after work we packed the car and drove down to Florida. (I tried cancelling our vacation to take care of my mom, but she was having none of it.)Whew. It is exhausting just typing it!
Old 07-03-2019, 11:07 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh no! What a bummer that you can't even do tons of scrapbooking while you recuperate!

Hmm, the only "bad luck" vacation stories I have are things that happened after the planning but before the actual vacation. We had a big trip planned to Cabo San Lucas for a friend's wedding (we were stationed in Japan at the time) and my DH ended up getting deployed and not being able to go. I made a "Flat David" to take along and we all had a blast posing for pictures with him, burying him in the sand, etc. I even made him a paper-doll-style shirt and tie to wear to the wedding, hahahaha.
And during another deployment, we decided to plan a trip to Disneyland Paris a few months after he got back. When vacation time came, I was pregnant with our "reunion baby" (born 40 weeks and 4 days after his return, lol) and got turned away from the line for most rides.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

a84martin - both wrists broken? Oh my I can't even imagine!!

Rebecca I LOVE your flat David story!! Awesome that you could laugh about it. That does stink that two of your vacations were disrupted though.

Tammy, I fell in my house. No exciting story. Sigh. But at least I can scrap while I'm down. I fear that won't work well for you with a broken right wrist!! Did they cast it? I think you'll get some relief from the pain once you get a cast.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
Speedy recovery for you, Tammy!
So far, thankfully, I've got nothing like breaking bones, but I did get really sick with a cold when we went to Singapore last year. I had to take a day of sleep to recover.
Thank you, Sherly! Oh no!
I'm glad you could take the day to sleep & recover, but it's a bummer when you have to do that on a vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post

Thank you, Rebecca!!
Oh no!! I'm so glad your glasses were usable, and that you weren't hurt worse. That would have been terrible! Your last line made me laugh!! I have that inability as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a84martin View Post
Oh no that is terrible! Here's to fast healing!
I don't have one of myself, but last year my mother had my twins for a summer vacation, they took a road trip from Oklahoma out to Arizona and back.
On the last day she was supposed to have them, she took them roller skating. Long story short she fell and broke both her wrists, 1 week before my family was going on vacation to Florida. So I had to leave my best friend's engagement party, drive down to Oklahoma, take care of my mom, get her situated, drive 10 hours home with my kids on Thursday, went to work Friday, after work we packed the car and drove down to Florida. (I tried cancelling our vacation to take care of my mom, but she was having none of it.)Whew. It is exhausting just typing it!
Thank you!
Oh no, your poor mom!! That would be awful!!
When I was in my early teens, I was riding a bike with a kid on the handlebars...his foot got stuck in the spokes, the bike went wheel over handlebars!! His foot was fine, just a little scuffed, but both my left forearm, and right elbow were fractured!! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
Oh no! What a bummer that you can't even do tons of scrapbooking while you recuperate!

Hmm, the only "bad luck" vacation stories I have are things that happened after the planning but before the actual vacation. We had a big trip planned to Cabo San Lucas for a friend's wedding (we were stationed in Japan at the time) and my DH ended up getting deployed and not being able to go. I made a "Flat David" to take along and we all had a blast posing for pictures with him, burying him in the sand, etc. I even made him a paper-doll-style shirt and tie to wear to the wedding, hahahaha.
And during another deployment, we decided to plan a trip to Disneyland Paris a few months after he got back. When vacation time came, I was pregnant with our "reunion baby" (born 40 weeks and 4 days after his return, lol) and got turned away from the line for most rides.
I'm sure going to give scrapping my best effort!! At least I've taught myself to use my mouse left-handed fairly proficiently.

LOL!! I love your "Flat David" idea!! Too cut!

Quote:
Tammy, I fell in my house. No exciting story. Sigh. But at least I can scrap while I'm down. I fear that won't work well for you with a broken right wrist!! Did they cast it? I think you'll get some relief from the pain once you get a cast.
Oh Cindi!! You'll have to make up a good story. I'm going to try to scrap once I'm home...I don't like scrapping on my laptop at the best of times.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had planned to be here at my mom's until about the end of July to get all the work done, but now I'm pretty useless now. I'm flying home on Saturday night and will return when I'm healed to finish up.
Over the next few days we'll go through books and easy stuff to continue her clearing out process.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So sorry Tammy! I'm glad you'll be able to return to help her more after you have healed some!

you poor ladies! All of your stories sound really painful, some a little comical!

I'm not the one to usually injure myself on vacations. But growing up that would have been my mom. She fell when rollerskating for a Church event when I was little and broke her left arm I believe. It never did extend fully for her after that, it always had a slight curve.
Another time, her and I were on a group trip (just ladies) to the Chicago area for a day trip to a big shopping mall. We had just gotten there, and were walking across the tiled floor. There was a cord across the walkway, and it blended in slightly to the tile. My mom tripped on that and down she went. Her glasses went flying (and actually the nose guard broke off, scratching her face in the process). She was bleeding and pretty scratched up. We took her glasses to a store in the mall who fixed them, and we got her cleaned up. But it pretty much killed our shopping mood. We ended up just wandering for the rest of the time, resting some and not doing much.

Praying you heal quickly Tammy (and Cindi).
Old 07-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh! I love that you have a sense of humor about it though!

My worst? Went to Hawaii and got so sunburned the first day, that the rest of my trip was miserable because I was in so much pain. I spent the remainder of it drinking Chi Chi's in the shade.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my....so sorry to hear. Hope you heal quickly. So painful and inconvenient but again....when it is ever convenient to injure ones self. Ugh....big hugs to you. Take it easy and hope you are taking something for the pain.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
So sorry Tammy! I'm glad you'll be able to return to help her more after you have healed some!

you poor ladies! All of your stories sound really painful, some a little comical!

I'm not the one to usually injure myself on vacations. But growing up that would have been my mom. She fell when rollerskating for a Church event when I was little and broke her left arm I believe. It never did extend fully for her after that, it always had a slight curve.
Another time, her and I were on a group trip (just ladies) to the Chicago area for a day trip to a big shopping mall. We had just gotten there, and were walking across the tiled floor. There was a cord across the walkway, and it blended in slightly to the tile. My mom tripped on that and down she went. Her glasses went flying (and actually the nose guard broke off, scratching her face in the process). She was bleeding and pretty scratched up. We took her glasses to a store in the mall who fixed them, and we got her cleaned up. But it pretty much killed our shopping mood. We ended up just wandering for the rest of the time, resting some and not doing much.

Praying you heal quickly Tammy (and Cindi).
Thanks, Dawn! Aaaw! Your poor mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_hart View Post
Oh my gosh! I love that you have a sense of humor about it though!

My worst? Went to Hawaii and got so sunburned the first day, that the rest of my trip was miserable because I was in so much pain. I spent the remainder of it drinking Chi Chi's in the shade.
Haha! Gotta laugh, right?!
Oh no! Sunburns are awful...especially on vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
Oh my....so sorry to hear. Hope you heal quickly. So painful and inconvenient but again....when it is ever convenient to injure ones self. Ugh....big hugs to you. Take it easy and hope you are taking something for the pain.
Thanks, Rae!
Old 07-09-2019, 01:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I saw my doctor Yesterday. The x-ray tech said I should buy a lottery ticket because I'm super lucky with the placement of the break. The doctor put a new splint on that doesn't hurt as much as the one the urgent care doctor put on. I go back in 6-weeks. I'm SO glad I won't need surgery!
I'm able to type a bit more with the new brace. Hoping to scrap some, but I don't want to overuse it for a bit.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hooray for no surgery and some pain relief. Hope the 6 weeks go quickly and you’re able to do most of what you need to/want to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2019, 08:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Hooray for no surgery and some pain relief. Hope the 6 weeks go quickly and you’re able to do most of what you need to/want to!
Yes, it's great news!!!