Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-18-2019, 08:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default How Would You Scrap....?? Guidance Needed :)

Hi all, I am having an issue coming up with a creative way to scrap certain pictures and I'm hoping you all might have some suggestions for me.

Every Summer, all the towns in my area have their own Festival, complete with parades, activities, events, and themes. I take a TON of photos at these events, the photos are typically generalized to what is going on around us, not just photos of us participating if that makes sense. ANYWAY, I always end up with a ton of photos to scrap but never know how to put them together in layouts, so sadly, I have YEARS worth of these events to scrap.

Saturday is our town's celebration.... we have Cherry Carnival.... its been going on for 126 years so it's quite a tradition, and one that I have grown up with my whole life. It's actually the main fundraiser for our Volunteer Fire Dept (which my Husband is a firefighter for), so it's so much more to us than "just a festival". Oh, and I always make a TON of themed treats, and BBQ up a storm.... so there's that too.

SO here's my question (or questions)... How do you scrap a pile of general photos from an event? and also, does anyone have any ideas of what I should focus on when taking my photos this year? I always have photos during the parade, some of the crowd, and a few from each of the events we stick around to watch. I'd like to have some more up close and fun shots, but when it comes to crowds, I tend to just point and click and move on, without taking the time to zero in on special moments.

Any ideas would be VERY appreciated! I really want to have some photos to work with that inspire me to actually SCRAP them. lol
Old 07-18-2019, 08:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Pocket Pages are the way to go for me! Keep them simple, and get 'em scrapped!
Can you find a generic, robust kit with coordinating colors that you can use for all the layouts? Or maybe 2-3 Kits that go well together?
Old 07-18-2019, 09:26 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Pocket pages would be easiest. You could even scrap multiple years in a row by using the same pocket page & kit and just switching out photos & elements.

You could also pick up one of Cindy's Double It Up templates & use that in the same way. That is going to seriously cut down your photos but maybe that would be a good way for you to pick out a photo "theme" from year to year for yourself. If you were to scrap the last 2 or 3 years of a particular festival, you could choose different photos per year & then know what theme you want to capture this year.

For the Cherry Festival in particular since it is especially meaningful to you, I would likely scrap additional non-templated pages about it but all of the other festivals I would just stick to one double-page spread per festival per year.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalund View Post
Pocket Pages are the way to go for me! Keep them simple, and get 'em scrapped!
Can you find a generic, robust kit with coordinating colors that you can use for all the layouts? Or maybe 2-3 Kits that go well together?
Well, I have Kristins retired kit - Cherries Jubilee (that I bought a loooooong time ago), Many Canada Kits (for variety with all the red & white), and a couple firefighter kits, so I think I can piece them together to get the over all vibe I need. Pocket pages will definitely help..... I need to learn to take less photos, cause I think I just get too overwhelmed with the 100's that I end up taking at these things.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
Pocket pages would be easiest. You could even scrap multiple years in a row by using the same pocket page & kit and just switching out photos & elements.

You could also pick up one of Cindy's Double It Up templates & use that in the same way. That is going to seriously cut down your photos but maybe that would be a good way for you to pick out a photo "theme" from year to year for yourself. If you were to scrap the last 2 or 3 years of a particular festival, you could choose different photos per year & then know what theme you want to capture this year.

For the Cherry Festival in particular since it is especially meaningful to you, I would likely scrap additional non-templated pages about it but all of the other festivals I would just stick to one double-page spread per festival per year.

Ooo, I really like that idea of taking different themed photos every year. It does get very overwhelming the amount of photos I take AND the fact that they are pretty much all the same every year. Thank You so much for your suggestions, I am already feeling a little better and more excited about what I can do (hopefully) this year
Old 07-18-2019, 12:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love the “pile it up” templates by Brooke for layouts with many photos. Pocket pages are also a good way of getting lots of photos scrapped.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Honestly, I love looking at photos my grandparents took when they were first married of their houses, town, etc!
I have tons of photos from things like this, too! I think they're important to scrap because they tell not just your story, but the story of where you live.
When I get to the point of scrapping these events, I'm planning on either pocket pages or some of Cindy's double-page templates that hold a lot of photos. I plan on using a theme for each set (if the event had a theme, then I'll use that to pick my kit).
Old 07-18-2019, 01:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree with the pocket style layouts for getting the most photos as possible! Lorie's (LJS Designs) Photo Focus set everymonth is awesome at getting LOTS of photos on one (or two!) layouts!

I also thought of Kristin's (Cronin-Barrow) A Taste of Summer Collection- there are a ton of cherry elements but also bbq, general food word arts, but it could be used totally generally for a lot of other pics too!
Old 07-18-2019, 01:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
Oh, and I always make a TON of themed treats, and BBQ up a storm.... so there's that too.
Make sure to get close up shots on your themed treats that you make instead of just a shot at the table where all the treats are placed.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsashbaugh View Post
Make sure to get close up shots on your themed treats that you make instead of just a shot at the table where all the treats are placed.
This is one thing I always forget to do (I try to remember to take close ups for the eventual recipe binder I will be making.... but things disappear before I think of it...lol).
Old 07-18-2019, 02:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
I agree with the pocket style layouts for getting the most photos as possible! Lorie's (LJS Designs) Photo Focus set everymonth is awesome at getting LOTS of photos on one (or two!) layouts!

I also thought of Kristin's (Cronin-Barrow) A Taste of Summer Collection- there are a ton of cherry elements but also bbq, general food word arts, but it could be used totally generally for a lot of other pics too!
Oh thank you for the suggestion.... I'll take a look at that kit as I am on the hunt for a good BBQ kit for this year also
Old 07-18-2019, 02:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Honestly, I love looking at photos my grandparents took when they were first married of their houses, town, etc!
I have tons of photos from things like this, too! I think they're important to scrap because they tell not just your story, but the story of where you live.
When I get to the point of scrapping these events, I'm planning on either pocket pages or some of Cindy's double-page templates that hold a lot of photos. I plan on using a theme for each set (if the event had a theme, then I'll use that to pick my kit).
Thank you for helping me not feel alone in not having these things scrapped yet. I'll take a look at Cindys double pages.... they kinda scare me a little as I always feel like i'll never size things the same on both sides, but hey..... no time like the present to give it a try
Old 07-18-2019, 02:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineF View Post
I love the “pile it up” templates by Brooke for layouts with many photos. Pocket pages are also a good way of getting lots of photos scrapped.
Oh I forgot about the pile up templates, I love those!! ( I really need to organize my stash better so I don't forget about such awesome goodies )
Old 07-18-2019, 09:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I take a ton of photos then curate the ones that really showcase the event. Take this parade in my hometown. I created a double pager with lots of event photos on one page and then family photos and journaling on the other

Old 07-18-2019, 10:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It sometimes helps me to give myself permission to not scrap all the photos. A few that tell the story is enough and the event is remembered, we never miss the "rest" of the photos that I don't scrap.

I really love this series - some big photos, some smaller for pics that are not great but still part of the event....I've been using them a lot.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:31 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I am with everyone here, multi photos templates will make scrapping those general photos easier. I usually just try to scrap theme with general and not too themey kits to begin with.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:41 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Personally, I'd look at the Album Templates and the 2-page Layout Templates in the shoppe. There are SO many good choices there. I love the simplicity of Janet's 2-pagers, and lots of designers have good album options that allow you to scrap lots of photos quickly. And the beauty of it is, your photos are often so busy that you don't actually need to embellish the page much - the photos do all the talking.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kiana*~ View Post
I take a ton of photos then curate the ones that really showcase the event. Take this parade in my hometown. I created a double pager with lots of event photos on one page and then family photos and journaling on the other

These look fantastic!!! Thank you for the inspo
Old 07-22-2019, 04:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Personally, I'd look at the Album Templates and the 2-page Layout Templates in the shoppe. There are SO many good choices there. I love the simplicity of Janet's 2-pagers, and lots of designers have good album options that allow you to scrap lots of photos quickly. And the beauty of it is, your photos are often so busy that you don't actually need to embellish the page much - the photos do all the talking.
Thank You. I love the idea of the less is more approach
Old 07-22-2019, 04:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
I am with everyone here, multi photos templates will make scrapping those general photos easier. I usually just try to scrap theme with general and not too themey kits to begin with.
Thank you. Keeping it simple definitely sounds like the best way to go
Old 07-22-2019, 04:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
It sometimes helps me to give myself permission to not scrap all the photos. A few that tell the story is enough and the event is remembered, we never miss the "rest" of the photos that I don't scrap.

I really love this series - some big photos, some smaller for pics that are not great but still part of the event....I've been using them a lot.
Oh yes! I do have these in my wishlist, but never had an idea what to use them for.... pages like this would definitely do the trick, thanks for reminding me of them