Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Car accident help

So Friday morning I was sitting at a stop sign waiting to turn right at an intersection and a semi turned from a gas station on my left, also intending to turn right at the intersection, didn't see me and ran into me.

I am physically fine. My left shoulder and lower back are a little sore, but it's nothing that an Advil won't erase.

I have never been in a car accident and I'm 43. I had my vehicle towed because although it was still running, my driver rear tire was shredded and I didn't have anyone to change it, and I wasn't completely trusting that the wheel itself didn't have issues. The entire driver's side rear of my Equinox is going to have to be replaced, possibly including the hatch door. The Equinox is sitting at a body shop in a nearby town.

I called into work and got a sub teacher for the day because I had no way to get to work. I called my insurance and the accident happened on the day my old policy expired and the new one renewed, so they can't even look up my policy in the computer. I am sure we pay for a rental car allowance of $30/day through our insurance because the girl taking my claim was able to look at our old policy and tell me that. The adjustor wouldn't even touch it until tomorrow.

My adjustor did call and tell me to file a claim with the driver's insurance (or rather his company's insurance... it was a delivery company). So I did that and mentioned my shoulder was hurting (as the lower back didn't start until the next day).

A couple hours later, the delivery company calls and says they're going to tell me where to take the Equinox and they'll just pay for it to get fixed because their deductible is very high and it will be cheaper to do it that way. I say I already have the Equniox somewhere and I'm not doing anything until I talk to my insurance company on Monday.

Later that afternoon, a guy from the driver's insurance company calls to ask only about my injuries. He said that because I'm now reporting an injury he is handling the claim, but he's only handling the part about the injury and someone else will contact me about the Equinox.

And that's where I'm at. My car is just sitting there, no estimates, nothing. I need to go to work this week. My daughter is in college and did bring her car home this weekend because she lives in the dorms and works on campus so she doesn't have a huge need for a car. However, my husband tells me the ABS light is on in her car. I have to drive a major highway to get to work (or add 10 minutes onto my drive by taking surface streets). DH won't let me rent a car because he doesn't want to put it on our credit card, he wants insurance to rent it for us.... even though I've explained that if nothing else, our insurance company will reimburse us. Dan is scared to death that if we use that benefit, our insurance will go up even if the accident wasn't our fault. When the delivery company called to tell me I should get the car fixed where they wanted it to be fixed, they didn't make any offers about rental cars and I was so dumbfounded by the call that I didn't ask.

I honestly don't have a clue what I'm doing. I'm not supposed to have my cell phone while I'm teaching, but I don't want to take yet another day off to deal with all these phone calls tomorrow. I've emailed my principal to see if it's OK to have my cell phone with me and step outside to take calls (there are always at least 2 other people in my classroom).

I know this is long and overly detailed but if anyone has advice, I would love it. I have no idea what I'm doing. Should I go see a chiropractor about my shoulder/lower back, even if it's not bad? I have no intention of calling a lawyer, etc. but I do want to make sure I get covered what should be covered in an accident that was not at all my fault.

Last edited by MissKim; 09-07-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What a headache! My husband has been involved in two minor accidents where he was the not-at-fault party, as documented in the police reports and assessed by insurance. In both cases, we never dealt with the other insurance party. We just went through our insurance company and then our insurance company went after the other insurance party for the funds. Our insurance company required us to use one of the garages on their preferred list for an estimate prior to authorizing the repair work. (Luckily, our usual garage is on their preferred list.)

In both cases our insurance company paid for the rental vehicle we used. Our premiums never went up because of any of it.

Fridays are a rotten day for an accident, but if your insurance company doesn't step up their game a bit, I'd go shopping for a new one.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Well since it was their fault you would use their insurance to pay for your repairs. When they call back I'd tell them where your car is and have them tow it to their body shop of choice and tell you? No sense in you having to deal with all of that IMO. I'd ask them about a rental car as well. I know when I had my car accident the adjustor did the estimate at the body shop. They told me where to take it and took car of it there for me. Which insurance do you have or do they have do you know?

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 09-07-2014, 02:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've worked in insurance for over 15 years, so I am well versed in this subject. It sounds like the other person's insurance company has accepted liability, so that is good. They will ultimately pay for the repairs to your vehicle and any reasonable rental car costs while your vehicle is being repaired. You are not required to use the body shop of their choice, however, you should consider how quickly a shop can start the repairs (if they are backed up, you may want to find another shop who could start repair sooner to avoid unnecessary rental car costs). It's not necessary to get estimates. The insurance company will work directly with the shop to manage the repairs.

I don't know who your insurer is, but non at-fault accidents should not influence your rates. Any change in your premiums would be due to other factors. Even if you utilized your insurance to manage your claim, they would seek reimbursement from the at-fault driver's carrier through the subrogation process.

Regarding your injuries, most soft tissue injuries resolve in 4-6 weeks on their own with no treatment. If it would give you piece of mind, you should definitely see a doctor for an evaluation. I have strong feelings about chiropractics, so I will keep those to myself Unfortunately I'm jaded by a few bad ones who set up excessive treatment plans and billed for services they didn't perform when they were treating for injuries sustained from an auto accident.

Anyway, hopefully the process goes smoothly for you!
Old 09-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad you're okay, but what a pain to deal with! You should talk to your insurance company before deciding how to proceed. A few months ago someone hit me. My insurance gave me the choice of going through them or the other company. I felt more comfortable going through mine. The one disadvantage was that I had to pay my deductible, but I got reimbursed when the other driver's insurance paid my insurance.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much for all the advice. I think I will talk to my adjustor tomorrow and just let my insurance handle it (we use Shelter) and they can get payment from either the driver's insurance or the company, however that company wants to handle it. After I talk to my adjustor, I will call and talk to the body shop where it is and see how long he's thinking it will take and we'll decide on a rental car and body shop from there. I love my car, so I want it back as soon as I can get her, but I want her fixed well.

I have never used a chiropractor but there's one by my house and I thought maybe it would be easier than getting into my doctor who is far from home and work. I'm really feeling fine so I'll probably just let it go. At this age, something aches almost all the time anyway.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd suggest getting in and being seen by your doctor anyway, just so you have a record of your injuries, etc. in case you start feeling worse in the next few days.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any advice - I always let my hubby deal with that kind of stuff. And my dad owns a body shop, so he tells us what to do. But, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're dealing with this headache! And I'm glad you're okay!

Gallery
Old 09-07-2014, 04:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ugh...dealing with an accident is a pain. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

We have Geico for our insurance. When I was in my auto accident in 2012 it would have been my fault but the other driver fled the scene. Our premium did not ever go up. I had a rental car for over 30 days (what my carrier covered) because their adjustor took forever whenever he was assigned to do something.

I hope you are able to have this handled smoothly for you and your car gets fixed quickly.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

ogosh. I'm happy your aren't hurt worse, and glad that you and the other driver has insurance! everyone has given great advise. Things pop up down the road, so head to that doctor soon! Let your adjustor handle everything - you pay them to represent you in this matter. Inquire about the rental, or what company they work with and get that first thing so you can get back to work!

Good Luck!

Old 09-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

I agree with the ladies above. I would let your insurance handle it and you most definitely need to go to a doctor ASAP to get your injuries recorded just in case you have problems down the road that can show up later related to your injuries.

I was hit by a drunk driver (who fled the scene) about 2 years ago this November and he had crap insurance so I let my insurance company take care of it and got checked out with the doctor whom I work for just in case I had problems later on and to have record for insurance sake. I also chose which body shop I wanted because I believe it should be your choice where you want your car fixed and they shouldn't be able to tell you where and when they will fix it.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
I'd suggest getting in and being seen by your doctor anyway, just so you have a record of your injuries, etc. in case you start feeling worse in the next few days.
You definitely need a paper trail from your doctor. Nothing worse than trying to get paid for something that you know was the result of the accident, but you can't prove it. And when you see your doctor, don't play it down with (I'm OK, it will be fine...) be straight up and honest.

I was in a 5 car collision on the freeway. Someone ran into someone, he ran into another car, and so on.... I was in the middle. Some of the stuff I went through was fixed quickly (like the shoulder), but then others like the lower back/sciatica took quite a bit longer. Everyone heals in a different way.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:08 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Glad you are okay and think you got some great advice from everyone here.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you all for the kind words and advice. I talked to my insurance company and they will be handling it. I will have to pay the deductible, but they will try to get it back for me. I also talked to the body shop and they said at least 2 weeks to get it done.... and that the shipping company had called him and asked for pictures because their driver said he didn't do that much damage to my vehicle. Um, anytime a semi hits a regular vehicle, it's going to do significant damage.

My insurance arranged for a rental today. We were supposed to get a standard car, but Enterprise messed up and gave away the car they promised us so they gave us a 2015 Equinox instead. I was a happy girl on the drive home because I have serious love for my 'Nox. The 2015 is just like mine... only it smells a lot better.

Tomorrow I should know the total for repairs and they can start harrassing the other insurance company for money.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad everything is going smoothly thus far, Kim. Thanks for the update!

How are you feeling??? Did you ever see a doctor?

Old 09-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

That is great news! I'm hoping you squeeze in a doctor visit too!

Old 09-09-2014, 12:23 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKim View Post
Thank you all for the kind words and advice. I talked to my insurance company and they will be handling it. I will have to pay the deductible, but they will try to get it back for me. I also talked to the body shop and they said at least 2 weeks to get it done.... and that the shipping company had called him and asked for pictures because their driver said he didn't do that much damage to my vehicle. Um, anytime a semi hits a regular vehicle, it's going to do significant damage.

My insurance arranged for a rental today. We were supposed to get a standard car, but Enterprise messed up and gave away the car they promised us so they gave us a 2015 Equinox instead. I was a happy girl on the drive home because I have serious love for my 'Nox. The 2015 is just like mine... only it smells a lot better.

Tomorrow I should know the total for repairs and they can start harrassing the other insurance company for money.
I'm glad everything is going smoothly and you aren't feeling too sore! Good news! The other insurance company can pay the shop for your deductible directly, but because it's a commercial policy, they may wait for all of the repairs to be completed and your rental to be returned so they know the total cost so they can just issue one check (and then have your insurance company send you the deductible refund). The original estimate is almost always lower than the actual cost to repair because the shop will usually find hidden damage once they start taking the vehicle apart and the part prices in their software are not always precise. You mentioned your tire/wheel was hit. Make sure they do an alignment on your vehicle before you pick it up. I hope everything continues to go smoothly. A two week repair sounds pretty typical based on what you described.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Make sure they do an alignment on your vehicle before you pick it up. I hope everything continues to go smoothly. A two week repair sounds pretty typical based on what you described.
Thanks for your input. The body shop did mention doing an alignment because I did mention the tire/wheel. He said the wheel has a "cut" in it that will be fixed but if they get to the alignment and discover something else wrong, then he'll be putting on a new wheel.

I am not sore at all at this point. No plans to see my doctor because I really don't need to be taking time off work and I'd have to lose an entire half day.