Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Tamron 18-200 lens

Anyone have one of these?

Good? Bad? Anything?

DF bought one yesterday and of course he stole it and the EOS this week so i don't even get to play with it.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My MIL was just here visiting and bought one. I don't know much about it - but with the few shots she took, she was sure loving it! If I hear any pros/cons, I'll post again. I wasn't much help...but had to chime in anyway.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Tamron makes good lenses, not great but good. I started out with my Tamron 28-300 for the Nikon and it worked well for me for years. Sometimes if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of walking/zooming in and out I'll still use it so I don't have to switch lenses on my camera. BUT as with other lenses of that type (higher F numbers) it is not very good at low light situations and doesn't give me those Ahhhhhhh! shots very often because the lowest aperature setting is 3.5. But if I had to chose it over a kit lens, then I would totally go for the Tamron! Just my 2 cents!!
Old 06-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I think it depends on if you're a beginner or not. This was the first lens I bought to use with my Nikon D50 about 3.5 years ago and I really loved it. Now that I use a D90 and shoot in manual, it's not my favorite because the lowest aperture is 3.5. I do think that it takes nice, vibrant outdoor shots.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:24 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Don't know anything about Tamron, but I have the Nikkor 18-200mm and swear by it. It's my everyday lens. Great for chasing kiddos around, I don't have to constantly switch lenses. I do have a 50mm for those apeture shots, but I've found with a toddler, speed comes first.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacsmom View Post
My MIL was just here visiting and bought one. I don't know much about it - but with the few shots she took, she was sure loving it! If I hear any pros/cons, I'll post again. I wasn't much help...but had to chime in anyway.
Glad your MIL likes it...hopefully I'll get to play with it a bit next week.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
Tamron makes good lenses, not great but good. I started out with my Tamron 28-300 for the Nikon and it worked well for me for years. Sometimes if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of walking/zooming in and out I'll still use it so I don't have to switch lenses on my camera. BUT as with other lenses of that type (higher F numbers) it is not very good at low light situations and doesn't give me those Ahhhhhhh! shots very often because the lowest aperature setting is 3.5. But if I had to chose it over a kit lens, then I would totally go for the Tamron! Just my 2 cents!!
That's really the reason he bought it, so we don't have to drag all our other lens to the US in Sept. Thanks for your input.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis View Post
I think it depends on if you're a beginner or not. This was the first lens I bought to use with my Nikon D50 about 3.5 years ago and I really loved it. Now that I use a D90 and shoot in manual, it's not my favorite because the lowest aperture is 3.5. I do think that it takes nice, vibrant outdoor shots.

Nope, definitely not a beginner. I was a professional before I moved to Holland. We just needed something a little smaller and lighter than the 70-200 L lens when we go to the US. It wasn't my first choice, I'd have gone with a regular 70-300, but he liked the fact that it would replace the kit lens and the zoom, for our trip.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearskies View Post
Don't know anything about Tamron, but I have the Nikkor 18-200mm and swear by it. It's my everyday lens. Great for chasing kiddos around, I don't have to constantly switch lenses. I do have a 50mm for those apeture shots, but I've found with a toddler, speed comes first.
Yep, we'll be taking the 18-200mm and the 50mm. I bet the Tamron will be good for chasing my critters around too.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't talked to you in ages! I bought a Tamron 70-200 for my Rebel XTi and absolutely LOVED the pictures it is taking!!! I took it to a robotics competition and loved the pictures it took!! The pics were so much better than the ones I had taken at the previous competition. I put mine on a monopod to stabilize it.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
I haven't talked to you in ages! I bought a Tamron 70-200 for my Rebel XTi and absolutely LOVED the pictures it is taking!!! I took it to a robotics competition and loved the pictures it took!! The pics were so much better than the ones I had taken at the previous competition. I put mine on a monopod to stabilize it.
Girl, I know....seems like it's been forever, huh? I've just been so dang busy with my future MIL undergoing cancer treatment and surgery, spring cleaning like there is no tomorrow, getting the windows replaced in our house, planning for our trip to the states (tickets are bought, car rental is arranged and paid for), planning our wedding in Sedona, and the reception for friends and family here, just busy, busy, busy.

Any way, yeah I think the one thing I really won't like about the lens is that there is no image stabilization, but I'll live. I'm glad you really like your 70-200.

Last edited by FireWolf; 06-02-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWolf View Post
Girl, I know....seems like it's been forever, huh? I've just been so dang busy with my future MIL undergoing cancer treatment and surgery, spring cleaning like there is no tomorrow, getting the windows replaced in our house, planning for our trip to the states (tickets are bought, car rental is arranged and paid for), planning our wedding in Sedona, and the reception for friends and family here, just busy, busy, busy.

Any way, yeah I think the one thing I really won't like about the lens is that there is no image stabilization, but I'll live. I'm glad you really like your 70-200.
That is a LOT on your plate! Wow. I bet you are getting excited! Amazing trying to make the plans that far away.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Most of it is already done. We have a wonderful officiant who is actually meeting us in New Orleans the week before the wedding. He is giving us exactly what we want and how we want it. All we have left to do now is write our vows and make some changes/additions to the ceremony he sent us, arrange for hotels for the trip, buy wedding rings and I still need to make a dress. It's come together really well and fairly easily, thank goodness!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to juliemarie

I have used both the Tamron and Nikon 18-200. The Nikon does take better shots (as it should for the price). I think the 18-200 is great for chasing toddlers around since you can be on the other side of the room or yard. But for not so active things I do love my 50mm.