Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Officially Giving Up...

I'm officially giving up pop. I have to. I've given up coke a few times in the past and cut back enough that I'm no longer addicted to it, I just have it once in a while.

But, back in the beginning of May I had a coke and ended up in the hospital right after drinking it. I'm not totally sure the symptoms brought on by the coke are the same as the complications, but it helped them FIND the complications, for sure (the pain was different from when I went into the hospital to when things started going wrong).

I didn't have ANY pop while in the hospital - a sip of someone's coke here or there, but just only a sip. I was drinking mostly water or orange juice...sometimes a coffee, if someone brought me one from the foodcourt downstairs.

So, I get home and I was home for only a couple of days, I cracked open a coke and took a few sips...immediately I began having those SAME symptoms that landed me in the hospital. I gave the pop away...forget it, it's not worth it. But I've had pop since and felt fine.

Tonight again I had a Pepsi and got the exact same chest pains. So, whatever my problem is...it's NOT the complications from my surgery. I'm going to fully give up pop because I don't DARE go back to the hospital...they may keep me in for another 3 weeks! I'll mention it to my gastroentrologist (sp) when I go on Tuesday and see what she has to say about it.

It's SO irritating though because I thought I was better...and I'm NOT! Now it's just going to be a bajillion more tests and stuff to figure out what is really wrong with me...I probably didn't even NEED to get my gallbladder out. Grrr.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to suze

oh Bree I'm with you on giving up pop too. Now I hate that you are having chest pains tho. My hubby has had the same type of problems with pop.

Well I know we can do it. Its so crazy but its so hard to give up. I'm also trying to quit smoking............... not doing well on that either. Oh wait trying to lose weight too... haha

so

no pop
no sugar
no cigarettes

I really hope you can figure out whats wrong without to many complications. Good luck hun and start to feel better
Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It sounds like it is the carbonation that is effect on you. Defiantly stay away from soda if it causes you pain. If you need a sugar drink get some juice or kool-aid. Good luck!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

soda is evil anyway..

just a guess.. prolly some sort of reflux? I know soda/caffine and what not can cause issues like that in some people.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:50 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

it's common to have some heartburn and reflux after gallbladder surgery. Not that that info should stop you from making healthy choices. (This said by the 5 Can a Day girl. LOL)
Old 06-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Good luck Bree! I so hope that you can do it. I would hate to think of you in the hospital again.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yikes! Thats really bizarre & freaky! Just think though... if you stay away from pop, that weight you lost won't find you so easily!!

Huge fan of:

Old 06-05-2009, 07:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Good luck Bree! I haven't had any pop since November last year...I had a taste of it about a month ago and spit it out. BLECH! I hope the pains stay away!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

DH and I are working on giving up soda. We are weaning and have none in the house now but I think we may still drink it out right now. I eventually want to be 100% off of it.

Your symptoms sound really scary, you take it easy! And hooray for a healthy change anyway!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

We are almost off it too now, we're both down to 1 a day, when we used to drink a lot more. I went out yesterday shopping, and had Burger King, and 2 diet pepsi...I feel like crapola today.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I was forced to give up caffeine and artificial sweeteners (among other things) about a month ago due to migraines/possible TIA. I was addicted to Diet Coke - which was basically my only vice so I thought it would be terrible, but surprisingly it was easy. I started drinking sparkling water - still gives the fizz but without the junk.

Happy to create for:
Old 06-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I'm giving it up, too... but just b/c it's bad for me and I feel soooo much better when I'm not drinking it.

You can DO it!! Er, I mean WE.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am right there with you. I gave up soda for the most part but still have one every now and then. I noticed when I dont have one for awhile then when I have it again it tastes horrible. It takes like two or three for it to get to where I actually want to drink it. There are certain foods though that I have to have a pepsi with. Pizza and buffalo wings mainly. Its like I cant eat either without a pepsi.

Just something else you should think about that might help you give up cola type drinks. They are the worst for you to drink because they can cause you to get UTI's. Your body has a hard time processing dark sodas according to my uroligist.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

OH wow! I know it's hard. If it makes you feel better, I'm also giving it up, because of kidney stones. I had another one this week that landed me in the ER, and I'm 98% sure it's from sodas.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to give them up too... looks like there's a huge non-soda support group here!

Huge fan of: