Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2023, 01:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Decorate for Christmas

When do you decorate for Christmas?

I think we are going to get started today
Old 11-24-2023, 02:57 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

This is a very difficult time for me. First Christmas season with no family due to a divorce. I miss decorating with my grandkids especially the one I raised for 8 years. I will be scrapbooking all of the past pictures soon (since I bought so many kits today) and gift that to him in the future. But for now, I bought a very small tree, ornaments of my absolute favorite color and started the decorating last night. I am following my grandmother's tradition now of only using one color on the tree. I used to love that as a child and am hoping it will help me get into the season.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Outside a week or two before Thanksgiving, to try and take advantage of the nicer weather.

Usually this weekend inside, but with Keira being away at college, we started on Wednesday, but will decorate the tree and finish everything up tomorrow. I've got to take her back to school on Sunday.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Um, I have been decorated for Christmas. I started on November 1! My kids have to finish their tree since the lights went out, we had to take them off and since my daughter is home from college, I'm hoping she will have time to add her ornaments. We have been buying the kids their own ornaments every year that they put on their own tree and then we have one in the living room with more traditional ornaments. I do have add some more decorations to the kitchen, though. My son decorated outside with lights and I did the greenery in pots, made some wreaths, and decorated the olds sleds we put on the porch.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Honestly, I've been getting a little out since before halloween! I LOVE Christmas tho! I put both our trees up a few weeks ago and just did the lights on the house last week. It's a lot, so I think it needs to be up long enough to be worth it and to enjoy it! And don't worry- we did Thanksgiving JUST FINE.... Turkey tastes the same with the tree up. Thanksgiving is a day, Christmas is a season. Etc Etc!!
Old 11-24-2023, 08:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We decorated today! I wanted to do it earlier but life got in the way. The oldest kid was off work today as was hubby so we got to work. It took all day but it is done and I can enjoy it now. Love having my Christmas decor up. <3
Old 11-24-2023, 09:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeideC View Post
This is a very difficult time for me.
Sending you hugs. I love your one color tree idea.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
We decorated today! I wanted to do it earlier but life got in the way. The oldest kid was off work today as was hubby so we got to work. It took all day but it is done and I can enjoy it now. Love having my Christmas decor up. <3
Hooray for being done!
Old 11-24-2023, 09:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
Honestly, I've been getting a little out since before halloween! I LOVE Christmas tho! I put both our trees up a few weeks ago and just did the lights on the house last week. It's a lot, so I think it needs to be up long enough to be worth it and to enjoy it! And don't worry- we did Thanksgiving JUST FINE.... Turkey tastes the same with the tree up. Thanksgiving is a day, Christmas is a season. Etc Etc!!
I feel the same way- it is so much work so you need to make sure you maximize the time it is up.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BluEyedBabi View Post
Um, I have been decorated for Christmas. I started on November 1! My kids have to finish their tree since the lights went out, we had to take them off and since my daughter is home from college, I'm hoping she will have time to add her ornaments. We have been buying the kids their own ornaments every year that they put on their own tree and then we have one in the living room with more traditional ornaments. I do have add some more decorations to the kitchen, though. My son decorated outside with lights and I did the greenery in pots, made some wreaths, and decorated the olds sleds we put on the porch.
My Kids are asking when we are going to go out to buy their ornaments for the year
Old 11-24-2023, 09:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Outside a week or two before Thanksgiving, to try and take advantage of the nicer weather.

Usually this weekend inside, but with Keira being away at college, we started on Wednesday, but will decorate the tree and finish everything up tomorrow. I've got to take her back to school on Sunday.
Hugs to you mama for having to take her back to school. IDK how I am going to handle that when the time comes.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We put up the tree last night after dinner! I probably won't put up my Christmas Village until closer to next weekend.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not feeling it this year. I wonder what would happen if I didn't decorate.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:56 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I've had a tabletop tree in my office since last year. I added a tree skirt to it yesterday.

I put another tabletop tree on a rolling cart I have in my dining room as well. And, the most important thing is a little scene I made in 2016 called "Christmas in Heaven". It has 2 dollhouse rocking chairs, 3 dollhouse dog beds, a small tree with gifts around it sitting on an embroidery "rug" I made over 30 years ago. I also have the "Christmas in Heaven" poem next to it. It signifies those most important to me that are no longer with me... my parents and 3 dogs I had in my life.

I have one other tree to put out but I will wait until Tuesday and have my cleaning lady help me. It is too heavy for me with my health issues right now.

The rest of my decorations are not going to be put out this year. I just wanted to get the ones that are the most important to me.
Old 11-25-2023, 02:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I’m mostly done - our Thanksgiving is in October, I wait until after Nov 11 (Remembrance Day) out of respect and then decorate after that. I still have a tree to put decorations on but the rest is done.

Old 11-26-2023, 01:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeideC View Post
This is a very difficult time for me. First Christmas season with no family due to a divorce. I miss decorating with my grandkids especially the one I raised for 8 years. I will be scrapbooking all of the past pictures soon (since I bought so many kits today) and gift that to him in the future. But for now, I bought a very small tree, ornaments of my absolute favorite color and started the decorating last night. I am following my grandmother's tradition now of only using one color on the tree. I used to love that as a child and am hoping it will help me get into the season.
Hugs from me as well. The holidays can be tough when you are going through hard times, so approaching it using a cherished memory to start your own tradition is a great idea. Every time you look at that little tree, I hope think of your grandma and smile.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am prepping for next Christmas with the new grandbaby, but this year I am keeping it simple with just a few holiday themed tier trays.
Old 11-27-2023, 01:55 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I decided on a whim that today is a good day to take the tree out of the box, but I did not calculate how long it took just to have it all done. So, 1.5 hours later, the tree is up and the lights are on it, but no decoration just yet. Maybe tomorrow...
Old 11-27-2023, 11:42 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We don't decorate outside the house. But inside I will get everything up over the course of 2-3 days once hubby pulls it out from under the house and brings it inside. Yesterday I took down and packed up everything autumn in preparation for Christmas decorating. I like decorating because I get to be a 'designer' for each holiday!