Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-10-2015, 07:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD - Touchy-Feely - 10.10.15

Are you a touchy-feely person? Did you grow up in a touchy-feely family? Is your immediate family pretty physically affectionate or not?
Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Not at all. Only with my kids, I could cuddle and kiss them all day. My poor husband must think I hate him, I pull away and avoid physical contact. My parents were not huggers, I haven't kissed or hugged them in years and the words "I love you" were never mentioned. Although I know they do KWIM? I know it's from their own experiences so found it hard to express. So I make sure to break that stigma with my own kids.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flergs View Post
Not at all. Only with my kids, I could cuddle and kiss them all day. My poor husband must think I hate him, I pull away and avoid physical contact. My parents were not huggers, I haven't kissed or hugged them in years and the words "I love you" were never mentioned. Although I know they do KWIM? I know it's from their own experiences so found it hard to express. So I make sure to break that stigma with my own kids.
Ditto this - almost exactly!

My Mum has started giving me a hug when I see her the last few years, and my boys, but we only see my parents a couple of times a year as they don't live nearby. My Dad still keeps his distance though.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am so not a touchy feely person... and I am married a guy who is totally a touchy feely... *sigh*
Old 10-10-2015, 09:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My in laws all kiss goodbye and it's weird for me. But nice. I'd love to go hug my Mum but it's awkward so I don't Yet she will kiss and cuddle my kids all day.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes, I think so.

Especially growing up, I'm not sure if it's a southern thing or not, but all my friends and family we always greet each other with a hug. I could have seen them yesterday and we'd still hug and say hello.

I don't really do that anymore, people here don't seem to do that. LOL! We are at home, we hug and love on each other all the time.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am not with most people. However, I was a snuggler/cuddler with my DH.

Growing up there was the occasional hug with my parents but we always said I love you and it's the same with my daughter and I now. She's not a touchy feely person either. Now my son is - he always has given us hugs anytime he was leaving us - even as a teen he would hug before he left for school or to go out, etc. He is one of the few that I hug. My sisters and I - no, not ever. I don't mind being hugged but I just am usually not the one initiating them
Old 10-10-2015, 10:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

With family, yes. I hug everyone when we say goodbye. I don't kiss my parents anymore but we always hug when we're leaving. With my kids, I try to cuggle, hug, & kiss them. We do that every night but I try to be more affectionate with them throughout the day. I'm constantly saying "I love you" to them and my husband though. I want them to know that whatever happens, I always loved them. To friends, no. I have a really hard time giving hugs to those who need them, like they're having a hard time or something. I'll hug some when we're saying goodbyes but that's it.

I'm not a huge cuddler. I have a hard time showing affection, my poor husband. I try to be better for him but it's really hard. My parents weren't overly affectionate with each other so I've grown to be that same way. I'm trying to be better though.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yes, I am affectionate and so is my family. My family and my in-laws always greet with hugs and/or a kiss on the cheek. My parents, 2 of my closest aunts, and grandmothers will occasionally say goodbye with a kiss on the lips. I know that's weird for some people, but we are a close family. It's normal for us. Aaron and I make sure to give our kids lots of hugs and kisses. Hugs are good for the soul, I truly believe that.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh! And I greet friends (new and old) with a hug. I probably make a lot of people feel a little uncomfortable... or very loved. But I'm ok with that.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:48 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I hug and kiss my son more often than with any other people... I do hug & kiss hubby, we cuddle occasionally, simply because he'd start to sweat when I cuddle him and I don't really like that :-/
I do hug & say 'I love you' to my parents, because I live very far away from them and only see them from time to time.
With others, it depends... some people I hug, some don't...
But, I do grow up in a no-touchy-feely family though... My dad is quite stiff on that part, but, again, because, I'm away from them a lot, he'll hug me when I come and about to depart from home...
Old 10-10-2015, 10:51 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
Hugs are good for the soul, I truly believe that.
You can come and hug me any time, Brook... I think I need lots of it
Old 10-10-2015, 10:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
You can come and hug me any time, Brook... I think I need lots of it
I would love to give you a hug, Sherly!!!! (((((Sherly)))))

Old 10-10-2015, 10:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flergs View Post

This is almost exactly my situation, too. I'm very close with my family but we aren't super touchy feely - but I have no doubt the love is there.

And I'm SUPER lovey with my kids (and I like to hug my husband), just not with my mom or siblings or anything. I do hug & kiss my sister's kids all the time though.

I don't MIND hugging, I just feel awkward initiating hugs with anyout outside of family. I gladly accept all hugs.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 10-10-2015, 11:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Are you a touchy-feely person?
It depends on my mood. Some days, yes. Most days, not really. It's REALLY hard for me to be touchy-feely.

Did you grow up in a touchy-feely family?
No, affection was not something we got from my family.

Is your immediate family pretty physically affectionate or not?
Husband- no
Oldest- no
Middle- sometimes. I often said she was cat: she'd give/want it on her own terms
Youngest- yes! His favorite phrase "you have lips. I have lips. *pause* lips are for kissing" followed by him kissing you. He's a sweetie and loves affection.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I grew up with balance I guess...lol. My mom was hugs and kisses and my dad wasn't. I was very hugs, kisses, cuddles when I first started dating my hubby. He was NOT>>>> fast forward to 18 years in and NOW he's the one that likes to cuddle but now I don't want to...LOL. I will hug and kiss my kids and my hubby, but no more cuddles ... me NO likey!

Old 10-10-2015, 11:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes, most definitely. My family is super close. We hug. We kiss. We always tell each other I Love You. I'm a hugger. I like hugs.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am super touchy; my secondary love language is touch. I hug and kiss on my kids multiple times a day.

[My primary love language is words so I tell them 'I love you' multiple times a day, too.]

My family was not affectionate in any way growing up, but they have softened a bit in the last few years. My parents do hug me hello & goodbye when we visit. My mom will sometimes say 'I love you' when we hang up the phone.

I'm definitely a friend-hugger, too.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:49 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Nope. Not at all. My daughter is like me. Michael (my husband) is very much so, and my son is just like him in that regard.

My mom maybe would have been moreso with me if I had any interest, but it wasn't my thing. My parents were divorced when I was 7, and my mom married a dick when I was 11. He was a little too touch-feely if you know what I mean. :/

Part of my personal space/bubble has to do with sensory things, including how sensitive my skin is. Even when holding my newborn babies (which I loved), I had to have a receiving blanket (any cotton works) between the baby and my skin or I'd get severe rashes.

Michael's love language is touch, so I step up my game for him.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not at all, my family has never been the affectionate, huggings kind. It is still very strong for me and I have no need to hug my mom or any of my family, to the point of it getting uncomfortable when she asks for one. And she will, because I have no trouble hugging my friends or distant family (we all have French blood in us) so we'll kiss and hug when meeting up, except my mother, she never gets a hug from me or my brothers. And I haven't seen my mother and father being affectionate to each other in more than 10 years, sometimes I think they only stay married because it would be too much of a hassle to get divorced.

Now when it comes to my kids, I smother them in kisses and hugs and love. I'm determined to avoid the issues my family have with hugs and kisses.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:33 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

YES. My primary love language is physical touch and luckily so is my husband's. I am a massage therapist and love that I can use my hands as an avenue for healing. I love to snuggle with my kids and there are lots of hugs and kisses and back rubs in our family.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

Not at all.

I did not see my parents being affectionate towards each other growing up but they did give us (my sister and I) hugs and told us "I love you". I am not comfortable with people in my personal space that I am not close with, but with my children and my husband, I am okay with it.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I"m not a touchy feely person. I don't mind hugging and kissing my family but it makes me really uncomfortable when other people get too close.

One of my biggest fears is the hello/goodbye kiss thing! I have friends from all over the world and a lot of their cultures kiss on the cheek to say hello but I can never remember which ones are one cheek kissers and which ones are two cheek kissers and I always end up getting it wrong and feel like a complete dork because I would rather just say hi and maybe shake your hand, at most maybe a hug.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I grew up in a family that wasn't so touchy feely but my grandma always hugged and kissed us before we went to bed at least. My mom has never been one to show any affection, physically or through words. She will say 'love you' when she hangs up the phone, but it just feels like words. My grandma was more the affectionate one. No father in my life. I was raised by my grandma and my mom lived with us off and on. - Aunts and uncles were mixed as far as physical affection. My aunts hugged. One of my uncles hugged. The others did not.

Our immediate family is VERY touchy feely. Right now my 9 year old son is sitting in the recliner with my husband, on his lap pretty much, watching a movie. I just got off the couch where my 13 year old daughter was laying across me. My kids hug their friends, their teachers, each other, us, everyone. I probably get 20 hugs a day, at least, from my son and my daughter thinks it is funny to kiss me on the nose now that she is tall enough. LOL My husband grew up in a pretty touchy feely family and it has just always felt right for us and our family. When our kids were little we used to say '500 kisses a day' while we smothered them with kisses. Truthfully, we probably kissed them that many times a day most days.

Hmm....

Me personally? I'd say that I am a person who likes physical contact, but I am not great at initiating hugs with people outside my immediate family, including my brothers and extended family. I do tend to touch people on the shoulder, hands, etc. when I talk to them. Well, people I know well anyway. As a teenager I hugged everyone. Now I have a hard time with it, but I really do crave hugs. It is strange because I am very introverted and don't often want to talk to people, but a hug fills up my social bank way quicker than words or hanging out with someone.

I work at a school with 2nd and 3rd grade kids (we have attendance center and our building has just 2 grades). Kids that age are still little enough that they want to be hugged/touched. I will often be walking down the hall and have a kid grab my hand and hold it as we walk. I get lots of hugs every day. I definitely get my fill of touch at work. My co-workers are pretty touchy too. I get huts from co-workers a few times a week too.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

hit for miss with me..I'm a hugger and quite affectionate with my kids and man. I don't like when other people touch me though except for a hug when greeting or whatever.

My parents weren't really affectionate toward each other but were towards my siblings and I. I've always hugged and kissed in front of my kids too. I want them to know it's ok to show affection to those you love

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 10-11-2015, 05:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did not grow up in a touchy feely home. My parents were affectionate with each other but not with me.

I'm sort of an odd mix. I'm very affectionate with my husband and my kids. I think it's important. I have one child in particular that really has that need. People I care about or really like, I have no issue with hugging etc.

In general though, I really treasure my personal space and am not someone who loves to be touched.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yes, very much so! I love hugging the people I love, friends and family! But especially my hubby!! He gives the best hugs!

Old 10-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I grew up in a family that hugged and kissed multiple times a day--it's how we said hello, goodbye, and goodnight. But if we weren't doing those quick hugs and kisses, we all kept to our personal space and rarely cuddled. That's still how I am with my parents and siblings.

My kids all want to hug, kiss, and cuddle me even if they aren't like that with other people, and that works for me. DH kisses hello and goodbye, but he's not a cuddler. I would like to be more cuddly with him, but I'll take what I can get. These days I don't have any close friends, and I don't usually hug casual friends or coworkers. I don't have any objection to it, I'm just not likely to initiate. I work with 3 and 4 year olds, so I get plenty of hugs at work.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am not a touchy feely person.... I grew up in a family that was not touchy feely and that did not express our feelings (I can count how many times I heard 'I Love You' during my childhood on half a hand'). I hated it, and even though I still struggle with expressing myself I am trying really hard to not raise my kids that way. They seem to have grasped the concept (their Dad and his family are the polar opposite and are extremely touchy feely), but I am still very much a work in progress.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:00 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Not at all. I am not a hugger, I don't touch much at all except with my son and my boyfriend, they get hugs and cuddles all day.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm a really big hugger but not much o a kisser. I even hug some of my co-workers (who have become friends). Some other co-workers find it strange. Lol.