Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default A dorky question concerning PMS and pregnancy

So. I'm suffering from a particularly nasty PMS and there's been talk these days in the forum about morning sickness and such... And I'm wondering - is there any direct link between the intensity of the menstruation tension you get and the severity of the ugly side of pregnancy? I mean - the worse your PMS, the worse your pregnancy symptoms? I tend to think so, but it's only a theory; I haven't really asked anyone about it.

So ladies - you certainly have more experience with pregnancy than I do... Do you think it's a valid theory? I'm not pregnant or anything, but PMS is showing is ugly head and I feel tired / silly enough to pose a question like this. :-)

Old 07-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to disagree with your theory...I had HORRIBLE PMS and menstrual cycles and I had the three easiest pregnancies I've evr heard of. No morning sickness at all, EVER. And 3 very easy labors, the longest of which was my first, which was only 4.5 hours longer and none of it particualrly hard labor.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWolf View Post
I have to disagree with your theory...I had HORRIBLE PMS and menstrual cycles and I had the three easiest pregnancies I've evr heard of. No morning sickness at all, EVER. And 3 very easy labors, the longest of which was my first, which was only 4.5 hours longer and none of it particualrly hard labor.
Ha! I'm very happy to be proven wrong. As I'm dragging myself through today and hating PMS with all my heart, I couldn't but think of what would happen if I got pregnant, and had this horrible idea that the symptoms might somehow be related. So now I'm going to believe the opposite. ;-)

I have a colleague who had an ideal pregnancy - she was never sick and everything went perfect, but we weren't as close as to ask a direct question.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think there's any correlation either. I have debilitating cramping and other fun PMS junk every month. While I had the nausea with both pregnancies, it was bearable once I'd eaten something. My labors were longer (36½ hours and 14 hours, 20 minutes) the latter of which was actually the more painful.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Yea, I don't think it correlates. I usually had very mild PMS symptoms, and well, you know how my pregnancy is going so far, lol (and that's only the morning sickness that I'm really struggling with, not to mention the rest of the stuff that's going on, lol).
Old 07-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would say no as well. Not because I didn't have morning sickness, I actually had bad morning sickness with my first girl. But I had a completely different set of symptoms with my second kid (anemia and a little morning sickness). I think it just comes down to how you body interacts with the hormones your body creates during pregnancy.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's totally silly, but I'm so relieved. :-)

Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
It's totally silly, but I'm so relieved. :-)
Well, don't be totally relieved, lol. You never know what your pregnancy is going to be like. Mine currently feels a lot like torture, and no one ever tells you that, LOL!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
Well, don't be totally relieved, lol. You never know what your pregnancy is going to be like. Mine currently feels a lot like torture, and no one ever tells you that, LOL!
Relieved in the sense that there's still a chance it might not be horrible. Knowing myself, it might still be horrible, but it's not, like, a certainty (based on the PMS I mean). :-)

Hope you feel better soon, Col!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:49 PM

profile gallery send pm

I know, I was only teasing a bit
Old 07-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
I know, I was only teasing a bit
I'm perfectly aware of it, but couldn't resist to elaborate on it. :-)

Old 07-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

But really... PMS + feeling silly + eyes tired from procrastination make you see "Warning: Forum PMS" instead of "Warning: Forum PM's" as a title of one of SSD's sticky threads. Well.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think it correlates. And, it can be different from pregnancy to pregnancy - at least it was true for me and other people I know.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I never really had bad PMS - just the occasional cramp. But, my pregnancies were horrid! I had morning sickness like crazy for an average of three months. Just smelling certain things would make me sick.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been a beast during PMS + I vomitted and crawled on all four from week 6 to week 13 of my both pregnancies, but I still think it doesn't correlate.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I dont think that it matters how bad your PMS is/isnt. I had three kids and each pregnancy was completely different. And each day was different. Some days I was incredibly moody (like I am during that time of the month) and some days I was fine. One common thread through all my pregnancies was I would get multiple UTI's. I think it was mostly because of the heat in Florida and I just did not drink enough fluids. I got dehydrated alot while pregnant

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
I dont think that it matters how bad your PMS is/isnt. I had three kids and each pregnancy was completely different. And each day was different. Some days I was incredibly moody (like I am during that time of the month) and some days I was fine. One common thread through all my pregnancies was I would get multiple UTI's. I think it was mostly because of the heat in Florida and I just did not drink enough fluids. I got dehydrated alot while pregnant
Oh, yes. That's another favourite. I'm a UTI veteran - had them since I was a baby. Not to mention candida infections, which are also common in pregnancy and I'm very much prone to them. I've known women who never had a UTI or candida infection in their lives and got them when pregnant, so I guess there's a lot to look forward should I be so lucky one day... (not that it would discourage me should it happen).

Still there's a huge comfort in the unpredictability of pregnancy symptoms, because there's always hope that if it's a lottery I might actually win. :-)

Old 07-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

PMS sucks...just my 2 cents!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I'm 37 and I got my period just before I turned 13...so about 24 years I've been getting my period and in all the time I'm never had "PMS" once!!! Now I've had 5 pregnancies:

#1 I had mild nausea for about 2 to 3 weeks and then nothing!!

#2 I started vomiting at 6 weeks and vomited and had all say morning sickness till about 20 weeks.

#3 I started vomiting at 6 weeks and vomited and had all day MS till 12 weeks when I was prescribed zofran. I took it till I was about 20 weeks pregnant...all it did was stop the vomiting..I still had all day morning sickness till about 22 weeks pregnant.

#4 I started vomiting at about 5 weeks and vomited and had all day MS till 12 weeks when I was prescribed zofran. I took it till I was about 24 weeks pregnant...all it did was stop the vomiting..I still had all day morning sickness till I was 24 weeks pregnant.

#5 I started vomiting at about 5 weeks and a week later I was prescribed zofran. I took it till I was about 26 weeks pregnant...all it did was stop the vomiting..I still had all day morning sickness till I was 26 weeks pregnant.

So with each pregnancy I got sicker soon and it lasted longer!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Oh and as you can tell (at least from me) it was hell going through it but obviously not hellish enough to make me stop having babies!!!

So even if you do have terrible pregnancies...there may still be hope that you will have as many kids as you want!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I rarely ever had PMS before Rachel was born, and I has 24/7 nausea my entire pregnancy.
Since she was born, I've had PMS issues...nothing major but a lot compared to the near-nothingness that I had before.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've been lucky on both counts-minimal PMS and 3 easy pregnancies without morning sickness. (But before you start throwing rotten tomatoes, I pay for it once my kids are born, LOL. 2 of the 3 were horrible sleepers, and it was years until they slept through the night.)