Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Do your parents post on FB?

My mom has no concept of social discretion. In her defense (if you can call it that) she has minimally managed mental illness, won't make good choices and all that. She posts the DUMBEST things all the time, but the other day she put out some random status update with all her detailed medication info.

From the looks of it she's been posting to some Reddit forum (?) and her posts are linked to FB. So, basically never mind the insight that your children and friends and DOCTORS have been giving you... just ask random strangers.

Grr. It's so annoying!
Old 11-19-2015, 03:58 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yes, my mom and grandma and most of my elderly great-aunts do also. They keep it pretty tame. One of the great-aunts is always sharing everyone's photos which I find adorable. The other randomly posts political stuff, but mainly they use it for facebook games. lol
Old 11-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yes my mom and grandmom are on facebook but they are pretty normale so nothing really weird is posted lucky
Old 11-19-2015, 04:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My parents are techno-phobic - they have a laptop and email but that's it. They probably wouldn't even know what FB is.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh yeah - my mom loves facebook! No matter what she posts she gets hundreds of likes!! It's insane. I'm lucky to have the sweetest mom so everything she posts is positive and happy. It's usually all about the grandkids
Old 11-19-2015, 05:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When we were living away, my mom got used to checking it every day to keep track of the kids & me. Now that we are here, there's no need, but she still does it just to see what I post.

She literally likes every single status and almost every single photo I post.

She reposts memes and quizzes, but doesn't post any statuses or pictures of her own. My dad also has an FB page that he never ever uses.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:09 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My mom just got FB, mainly because my sister said she needed it for a new venture they're starting. I don't think she's made a single post yet...
Old 11-19-2015, 06:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
When we were living away, my mom got used to checking it every day to keep track of the kids & me. Now that we are here, there's no need, but she still does it just to see what I post.

She literally likes every single status and almost every single photo I post.
This is totally my mom too. It cracks me up because my dad is a computer engineer and only uses FB reluctantly for some of the groups they're part of but my mom, the technophobe seems to love it. She's come a long way from her "how do I open the browser?" days.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My mother uses FB, but like me she does a lot more reading and liking than posting. When she posts it's always positive and appropriate for public viewing. And she's definitely a technophobe.

My father is a retired aeronautical engineer who was using computers back before most people, but he's anti-social media and spends most of his online time on email or the New York Times website.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2015, 07:54 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

My parents both have FB accounts, but my dad rarely posts. My mom is usually totally normal . . . usually. Lol. One of my mom's cousins who has been like an aunt to us all our lives posts weird things and makes weird comments on our posts, though. My hubby deletes her comments on a regular basis. Gotta love family!!!

Old 11-19-2015, 09:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My Mum and Dad are on facebook. They don't post a lot - it's mainly to keep contact with the kids/grandkids, and church.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:45 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

My mom is on FB, my dad isn't.
My mom just checks on her friends and kids' photos and status. She shares some recipes she finds. Nothing weird. *thankfully*
Old 11-19-2015, 10:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, but my mother works in IT and is pretty savvy. Same with my father.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My mom thinks FB is not good...so no...lol
Old 11-19-2015, 10:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

<whining> Aww, maaaan... I was hoping more of you would be able to relate. LOL! It is really great that our parents get to keep tabs on our kids and stuff though, isn't it? My out of town family only stayed up to date on what I looked like by visiting town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Yes, my mom and grandma and most of my elderly great-aunts do also. They keep it pretty tame. One of the great-aunts is always sharing everyone's photos which I find adorable. The other randomly posts political stuff, but mainly they use it for facebook games. lol
That how my MIL is too, uses it for games. Now that she takes care of my FIL full-time she doesn't babysit the grandkids and stuff. Eden will be like, "Umm... grandma sent me an invite for a Vegas game." So cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyd View Post
My parents both have FB accounts, but my dad rarely posts. My mom is usually totally normal . . . usually. Lol. One of my mom's cousins who has been like an aunt to us all our lives posts weird things and makes weird comments on our posts, though. My hubby deletes her comments on a regular basis. Gotta love family!!!
See? This makes me feel better, LOL!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:17 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

My mother-in-law is on Facebook and she really doesn't understand it. She regularly shares things that I "like" even if they aren't about me or anyone she knows. One time she shared a photo that Shawna Clingerman posted about toasting marshmallows and enjoying times with her boys. I'm like why would she share that with her friends?!? She doesn't know Shawna! Several times a day she will post those things that say "I'll know who really loves me if you like this post". Ugh!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mom did for a bit but then deleted her account. She swore everyone on facebook was out to get her. She has social issues.

My MIL and step-MIL both have facebook accounts. We had to explain some things to MIL about it. She would post sometimes thinking that when she posted on someone's wall only they saw it, etc. but she's good now.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mom and I are no longer FB friends. However, she uses it as her gossip and woe is me platform Then let's not mention the "forgive, life is short, love all the peoples" memes, then the next one is "hahaha karma is gonna get you and I'll laugh" O.o

Old 11-20-2015, 12:22 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

Ohhhhh where do I start? My mom is on FB and I wish she'd deactivate...lol! She has friended most of my sister's friends, my friends, all of my elementary/high school classmates, my husband's family, and the list goes on. She means well but every single time I see a status, she has liked it. Those little apps that tell you your best FB friend or whatever based on their interactions with the page...she is always the #1 person...always...lol! I love her ...talk to her every day but I cannot get her to give FB a break. She comments on my friends things more than I.

My dad gets on and will comment when I tag him in a pic of the kids. He mostly gets on the computer to play an airplane simulator and will check FB to see what we (my sister and I) are up to.

Definitely understand where you are coming from Valerie. My mom may not post too much personal stuff but her status message are full of memes or religious photo messages.

Last edited by Tronesia; 11-20-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:49 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My dad is on FB and my uncle (my mom's brother). They post nothing weird, thankfully!
My mom isn't, but she isn't that good with computers.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My whole family is on FB and lets say they certainly don't see everything I post cause I'd then spend hours explaining everything to my grandma at least.

Sent from my SM-G318H using Tapatalk

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 11-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This always makes me wonder... when I'm in my 60's, will there be things that my kids think I need to stop doing? UGH.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
This always makes me wonder... when I'm in my 60's, will there be things that my kids think I need to stop doing? UGH.
LOL! face it.. there are things we as parents do NOW that our kids think we shouldn't do LOL!

My parents have a joint acct.. that's all i'm saying LOL
Old 11-20-2015, 01:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My mother in-law recently joined facebook and I was a little hesitant to accept her friend request because I it was like thinking that my parents would look onto my wall and check what kind of things I am posting. Most of the time I forget that we're friends on FB so when I post or re-post something, which is very seldom, she'd be the first one to like them. And then since Wednesday till today she was re-posting some fun stuff which was really fun to read and watch. BUT if you will like her post, she's gonna thank you for it, like tagging you, say thank you for liking and then she's gonna explain the post She's so cute like that
Old 11-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mom has a facebook but, rarely post. If she does it's to share a photo of my critters.

I would be considered the person you wish wouldn't post. I try not to curse frequently but, all bets are off when someone really ticks me off! I don't state names but, I make certain they know that it is them I am talking about. I mainly post about my kids though. That or pictures that I took off my phone so if I need a certain picture I can scrap it lol! I also bock most of my stuff besides scrap pages and phone pictures.

My dad died last year November 19th. He had a Facebook page but, my step mom mainly did his page.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My mom isn't on FB, but my IL's have accounts. They are not regularly on and do not post or like anything.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:31 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

My mom, who I credit with introducing me to the internet in 1994 [Prodigy ] has had a Facebook account for many years. She only uses it to see what her kids, grandkids, and other extended family post though, and she'll click Like on our posts. And I tag her when I want to show her something.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
LOL! face it.. there are things we as parents do NOW that our kids think we shouldn't do LOL!

My parents have a joint acct.. that's all i'm saying LOL
Eden (my 13 year old) thinks that I shouldn't use 'lol'. Umm... excuse me? My generation came up with 'lol', you goober.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:32 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
Eden (my 13 year old) thinks that I shouldn't use 'lol'. Umm... excuse me? My generation came up with 'lol', you goober.
LOL!! yep! I think "haha" is what the kids say now? I always will say lol..LOL
Old 11-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My father doesnt have a computer.
and he isnt that old, 66 years
Old 11-20-2015, 10:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Lord no. Mine are clueless. My Das thinks eBay IS the Internet. And asked me once "how many channels do they have on the Internet now?" Neither own a cell phone or have Internet.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh and my hubby is so FB challenged. His account was actually started by me a few years ago so my son could play Farmville and my hubby HATED fb. He said it was the blame for broken marriages etc... then he decided to start using it himself. He has no clue how sharing/taghing/liking works. And when people tag him he freaks out that they've somehow hacked his account or something. Mind you, he now spends more time on FB than I do yet still claims to everyone how it's the devil o.O
Old 11-20-2015, 11:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flergs View Post
Oh and my hubby is so FB challenged.
I joke with mine that he's the oldest 42 year old I know. No social media accounts and he doesn't text. I'm waiting to see if that changes once our kids start using social media and get cell phones, but we'll see. I think he'll have to come around on the texting but won't on social media.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Mine texts and that's it. No idea of social media at all. Games is his thing, and that's it. He even uses Internet Explorer lol.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mom and step-dad both use Facebook. My step-dad is a magician in his free time and he uses it for business. My mom uses it to post more cat photos and videos than a 10-year old girl...

I wish Facebook would go away along with everything like it. lol
Old 11-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flergs View Post
And when people tag him he freaks out that they've somehow hacked his account or something. Mind you, he now spends more time on FB than I do yet still claims to everyone how it's the devil o.O
LOL!!!
Old 11-21-2015, 01:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mom posts on Facebook all the time, but it's always good stuff. My dad is a Facebook lurker but really only posts a few times a year.

My MIL, on the other hand, is blocked from my Facebook. She was constantly making rude comments on innocent stuff. She's a mess.