Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Short haired girls - please help?!

So I got my hair chopped off the other day and it looked awesome! I went shorter in the back than I've ever gone, and it feels amazing. I'm totally loving it. So, to experiment with it, I slept on it, and yesterday, didn't do anything to it at all, just to get an idea of what it's gonna do if I don't have time to do it up. lol, just looked like I had bed head all day. So this morning I took a shower and got all excited to make it look nice, and what in the world am I supposed to do with THIS????

I got the front looking just about like when it was cut, but how the heck do you get those short little hairs to stay down? lol, I'm clueless. I've got a huge curling iron, and a thin straightener, and the straightener I don't think is going to be able to grab a hold of that hair without burning me, for one, and even if I could get in onto it, it'd just stick out even straighter, wouldn't it? Did I blow dry it wrong? Are there any tricks to it?? lol, any help would be greatly appreciated! My hair does have a little bit of a natural wave to it, so I straighten or curl it almost every day, otherwise it's just a frizzy mess.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Round brush while drying it helped when my hair was short.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ooh, I don't have one of those! Would you get a large round, or little round, since there's not much hair to brush lol? I would think little?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I used a round brush while blow drying too
Old 01-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, a little one
Old 01-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would use a medium sized round brush as you wouldn't want a tight curl.

and hold the blow dryer so it is pointing downward toward the brush.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cool, I'm going to have to make a run to wmart here in a bit and pick one up. lol, I was in the bathroom totally panicking!! Thanks a ton girls, I hadn't even thought of that! I may even pick up a large one and see if it might help in the front so I don't have to use the straightener so much.

Know of any decent hair products I can put in it to help it hold it's shape? I totally destroyed my hair in jr high with product, and I swore off hair product since then, never putting anything in it, but lately I've been putting in just a bit of stuff to prevent heat damage, so I don't know what to use even...
Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Sandy! I'll definitely try it out a few times to get a feel for it, see what I can make it do, but if I fail, I may have to go back! lol, I'm just so excited about my cut, I'd be horrified if I couldn't make it look cute!

(Hi! My name is Brie, and I like exclamation marks!! A lot!! lol.)
Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I am awful at using the brush while blowdrying so I usually throw some velcro rollers in mine (all over for volume, but you could just do the bottom with some) for about 10 minutes while I'm getting everything else ready for the day. Then I just take them out and brush through and it stays going under instead of flipping out all day.

*Don't go by my avie, that was a purposeful flip out day.*

BTW...love the cut on you

Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Or I would flip it out. Either way, it looks super cute!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks girls!

lol, Tracy, your hair looks cute flipped! That's funny, though, because I had already wondered if mine would look cute flipped out too.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I have the same issue with mine. My hair is a tad bit longer than yours. I would definitely suggest a round brush, small to mediumish.

And for touch ups as needed I use my straightener. But be careful not to burn yourself.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Those pesky short pieces at the back are my hair arch enemies.

I totally agree on using a round brush back there as you dry. I use a medium size one and that seems to do the trick most of the time. If the hair back there is really short, then sometimes I'll just shape it using my hand as I dry it.

If its really stubborn, I'll use the flat iron to curl them down. The key to doing it is to put the iron right up against the scalp at the root if the hair and then twist the iron about 90 degrees down toward your neck - you'll feel the hair pull tight. When it's really short I'll let it sit a couple of seconds to curl it since there is no real hair to pull the iron through but as it grows out, I twist the iron and then slowly pull it through the hair to give a nice curl. It's kind of hard to explain with words but I've had my hair cut this way for awhile and thats what I've found works best with my wavy hair.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
If its really stubborn, I'll use the flat iron to curl them down. The key to doing it is to put the iron right up against the scalp at the root if the hair and then twist the iron about 90 degrees down toward your neck - you'll feel the hair pull tight. When it's really short I'll let it sit a couple of seconds to curl it since there is no real hair to pull the iron through but as it grows out, I twist the iron and then slowly pull it through the hair to give a nice curl. It's kind of hard to explain with words but I've had my hair cut this way for awhile and thats what I've found works best with my wavy hair.
Definately going to keep this in mind! I'm horrible for keeping up haircuts, I like all the different stages of growing it out usually - but then I just end up with horrible split ends

I just got back from running to wmart, and picked up a couple round brushes, so crossing my fingers for better luck tomorrow lol.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Your hair sounds a lot like mine! I just cut mine short in the summer (and like 4 times since, such a pain to keep up!). Anyway, mine has a little wave and it's pretty impossible to use the flat iron on the very back short pieces. blow drying is the key for me! good luck!

It's cute btw!!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I clip mine up in layers, and then use a medium round brush. Either that, or use a product to enhance that cute little flip and keep it like that. Either way is really cute!!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I had a horrible time with that same issue, so I started growing it out again. You all are making me want to get it cut short like my avi again.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Agree with the round brush. I wouldn't go itty bitty...maybe a medium size one!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My hair always does this little flippy thing. I never really liked my haircuts until I had the stylist accentuate the flippy thing. Now I love my hair cut so much! So easy to take care of. I can either dry it or let it air dry. Just let it flip!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Banned

profile gallery

I use a small round brush when I dry as well. They also make hair dryers with the brush attached, so you only need one hand and they don't require as much coordination.
I use this one. It is a little loud, but most hair dryers are. And now I don't need to hold the dryer in one hand and the brush in the other!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Do you have a blow brush? I have the Helena of Troy one and it's awesome!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I got a stacked (?) bob in the back this past month, and even though I make my hair curly, I'm sure it does that, too. I'm fairly sure, though, that no one is looking at my flip, but starin' at my hips or how else I'm stacked in the back.

[Yes, that is how I justify not spending an extra 15 minutes on my hair to get it looking right in the back. L-A-Z-Y.]