Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-24-2020, 12:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD: 02/24 Pets

Do you have any? Did you in the past? Any pet you'd love to have (but never will)? Do you look in pet stores/online at pets?
Old 02-24-2020, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We've got Taz, our super smart, funny and sweet mini labradoodle. We had pets when I was growing up, a few cats but mostly dogs. My mom loved poodles and we had a few strays and mixed breeds.

I sometimes think it would be fun to have a rabbit, chinchilla or ferret but we won't. Taz would think it was a toy and I think that would end in disaster. But I love to watch them in the pet store and sometimes will get to hold them for a bit.

I think about all my dogs with sadness and affection, those that have passed on. We had Cali, my beautiful chow, Euker, a smart gorgeous furry poodle/cocker spaniel cross and Sandy, my beloved golden retriever. Each was very different in personality and traits, but all were loved by the family.

I just love dogs and really enjoy walking with Taz and meeting lots of other dogs. This past wkend I met a 10 wk old australian shepherd that was the sweetest little pup. It was hard to tear myself away from her. I could have spent all day with the owners, chatting and cuddling with their pup. She curled up against me and stayed with me the whole time we chatted. I love the breed, their thick mottled coat and blue eyes are so pretty. I used to babysit Beckham, an australian shepherd, for a few yrs and he passed away over a year ago. I still miss him, we bonded really well and he loved to stay with us.

I often think about getting another dog but I think Taz likes being "top dog" in our home so at this point I won't but it's not easy, I keep looking and thinking about it. But, at some point, you never know, it might happen.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Do you have any? Did you in the past?
Currently we have 2 dogs, Rosie a 4 year old super lazy chocolate pitbull mix, Daisy a 9 month old super crazy psycho hound/german shepherd mix and a cat, Black, he's about 4 and outside. We've had chickens in the past but our current house doesn't have room for more; so we're waiting until we move and we'll start that little fun back up. And hopefully have enough room for a few more animals around as well. The kids really want a horse and space for 4H animals. We've had horses in the past, but no place for them currently.

Any pet you'd love to have (but never will)?
Not really, We are pretty much if I want it I'll have it... although if you ask hubby he'd randomly mention some sort of predator (Mt Lion, Bobcat, etc) that would be cool, because he thinks they'd make good snugglers. LOL

Do you look in pet stores/online at pets?
Not typically...last time 2 times I've looked at a pet online, we ended up going to the shelter and bringing them home!!
Old 02-24-2020, 01:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ugh. Pets. I'm at a love/hate place with pets lol.

Since moving to the country I have learned to love outdoor pets WAY more. Stay out lol.

But we have a cat and a dog and my son has a cat and we both also have a bearded dragon. Then outdoors there are cats and chickens. BUT we are going to have to move again in the next month or two and we won't have outdoor pets anymore so I am going to miss that a lot.

The first stray in the country that started trusting us was Penny a sweet calico and look she just had 5 babies They were born on Valentines day.

I dont know how to link Instagram pics lol so here is one with mama and babies
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8md9_wHDaw/

and two of babies
https://www.instagram.com/p/B81rz1yHw0j/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8rBcfcnebi/

The white one with gray spots looks just like the daddy.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have always had cats. Currently, we have Coconut who is 14 years old. I'm not sure what we'll do when she's gone.
We're considering getting my mom a dog as a companion animal. The only time I've had a dog was when I was a kid. I don't know the first thing about taking care of them, so we'll see.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:03 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Do you have any? yep! two crazy cats
Did you in the past? always cats, but we've also had a dog, guinea pigs, hamsters, turtles, fish
Any pet you'd love to have (but never will)? river otter!!
Do you look in pet stores/online at pets? the kids and I watch youtube videos of people who own river otters as pets for fun and dreaming.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Omgoodness Tanyia.....those kitties are just absolutely adorable!
Old 02-25-2020, 07:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had a cat growing up, and we have one now. My younger daughter loves animals, so she looks at all of them at the pet store every time we go to buy cat food. She loves dogs and birds.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We would LOVE have dogs... but No pets here... my husband has severe asthma and we also like to travel and it wouldn't be fair to the dog. Plus we differ in ideas of what it means to have a dog... I grew up with dogs in the house, they were part of the family and could go anywhere they want... my hubby grew up with dogs that stayed outside.

When we want our dog fix, we go over to my mom's... she has a hearing service dog.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Do you have any? I am convinced that a house isn't a home without a couple 4-legged furry ones running around! We have small "companion" dogs, and love the mix you get when you combine Yorkshire Terrier with Maltese. Morkies are smart like Yorkies, but with the people-pleasing personality of the Maltese to smooth out the Yorkie's stubborn streak. Right now, we have Maggie (8 years old, apricot, more of the terrier look) and Charlie (10 months old, white, floofy). My stepdaughter has a 1 year old Yorkie, Archie, who visits us a couple times a year and rounds out our pack.

Maggie:

Charlie:

Archie:

Did you in the past? I had a cat as a kid, but dogs are a much better fit for what I want in a companion animal. We lost our sweet boy, Jack-Jack, last April after a long fight with kidney failure from a Leptospirosis infection. He was a black Morkie, and was just shy of 10 years old when he died. Before him, we rescued Eddie, a Yorkie mixed with dachshund, we think, which made him a Dorkie. And given his personality, that's a pretty accurate moniker. He was with us from 2006-2012, and we think he was just shy of 8 years old when he died.

Jack-Jack:

Eddie:

Any pet you'd love to have (but never will)? A hippopotamus. A panda bear. An otter.

Do you look in pet stores/online at pets? I avoid pet stores since they generally deal with puppy mills. When it's time for us to add a new dog to our home, I go to a reputable breeder our family's been working with for over a decade. But I have an Instagram account for my dogs (@thekeymorkies) and that feed is FULL of adorable dogs! I could spend hours looking through https://www.instagram.com/norbertthedog/

BTW, people who rescue dogs are angels, and they do important work! For our home, and our lives, we've found our best fit involves raising them from puppies. That way, the only neuroses they have are the ones we give them!

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 02-25-2020, 09:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Growing up, I always had a dog, but once we moved overseas, we lived in apartments, so no pets allowed. But once we moved to a house in the Philippines, we got a dog (added a second five years later) and 2 cats. I love my cats the most, but I'm just meh about the dogs.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Do you have any? Did you in the past?
None now. The only pets we've ever had are fish, and we'll never have them again! We spent a lot more time and money than we expected on tank maintenance and fish health, and after the first few weeks no one paid them much attention.

A cat. We're not dog people, but I think it might be nice to have a cat. DH is allergic. He uses that as his reason for saying no, but in reality he's just anti-pet. (It's not really all him. At best I'm on the fence about having a pet; it doesn't bother me not to have any.)

Nope! But a coworker brought in a few guinea pigs during Pet Week at school, and they were almost cute enough to make me want one!
Old 02-25-2020, 10:02 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Do you have any?
nope. I like to say I have a hubby, 4 kids of my own and 5-6 other kids (depending on the day) so this momma doesn't have the time for taking care of anyone else.

Did you in the past?
Growing up we always had a dog or two, a rabbit, fish and a guinea pig.

If I could have a farm and someone to help, I'd love to have some horses.

nope.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 02-25-2020, 10:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Angie, your dogs are adorable!! I’m not sure I’ve seen that mix before...

We have a 9 month old puppy - half shih tzu, half bichon frise. He is beyond cute but proving very difficult to housetrain!

Also have 5 guinea pigs... long story short, had three that we thought were the same sex but weren’t. Kept two babies and gave two away. Lol
Old 02-26-2020, 12:21 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

one word, one animal for me and mine

CAT! lol. we are a huge cat family and have the most yummy Ragdoll named EnzoBlu. We are hoping to give him a buddy later this year.

I had cats and dogs growing up, and sometimes miss having a dog around but then I look at Enzo and I'm smitten all over again

My daughter could have a housefuls of cats, so could I really, but I think hubs and son would have a knipshin!