Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question Suggestions? Opinions? Advice?

I'm so confused as to what I want to do here. Which will be the most economical? The best tool for what I need? How hard will it be to learn something new? So many questions.

So, I am currently using a 3 year old, 17 inch HP laptop with CS3 for my scrapping and as my main computer. I need to replace it and I think I have too many options. We have a 15 inch MacBook Pro that we bought refurbished in June and I haven't been able to get used to it. (probably not giving it a chance). I also have CS5 software for Windows that I haven't loaded on any of our computers because they're all getting pretty slow and I'm afraid it'll crash them or something. lol

I can't decide if I want to
a) buy a new PC and use CS5
b) buy CS6 for Mac and use the MacBook

What would you do? (if you can even understand what I'm saying here lol)

And, if you'd buy a new PC, what would you get?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Honestly........there are PC peeps and Mac peeps. I am totally a Mac girl. SO my vote would be hang with the Mac and upgrade to CS6. Macs with Adobe products seem to flow better for me. Not as many shut downs and glitches. That is what I have noticed. You are right.......there is a little bit of learning the new operating system for mac but it won't take you long. I think I was good as gold after a week or so. Now I can't imagine ever going back.

That is what I would do. And now there will be a PC girl telling you to do the opposite. LOL (this is such a big thing.......mac vs. pc, canon vs. nikon, ect)
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I don't have much advice cause I am in the same boat....I want another laptop but I already have CS5 for windows and LR4 that can be installed on another windows based device...but I want a mac laptop, but then I would have to rebuy CS6 and LR for Mac and I am not sure I could afford CS6, LR and a mac laptop all in one shot!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

HA the great Mac vs PC debate.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

since i am happy to be very opinionated about NOT using mac products, i would stay with a windows device.
i rarely have crashes with my pse (only when i pull lots of raw files at one time) but even with the cs6 demo version it went quite smoothly.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I will be silly and ask - what does your heart tell you? :-)

I'm a PC girl, but I wouldn't advise you one way or the other - as Tara said, it's a question of taste and habit. I'm pretty sure you can be be happy with either choice.

My only advice would be, if you get a PC, get something REALLY good so that you don't have to switch computers again too soon. Of course if you go the Mac route, you already have the laptop, so your investment would be into the software, and if you stay with a PC, your investment will be into the hardware. I suspect that - even though I'm no Mac fan - the CS6 for Mac would actually be cheaper. Staying with a PC involves no learning curve on the other hand, so it's more convenient. It all depends on what you really feel like doing. :-)

In short, I'm no help.

Last edited by adrianka; 01-15-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Download the free trial of CS6 to your Macbook and force yourself to use it for 30 days. If you really don't get along, then your choice will be easier.

I'm a PC user, and sometimes I feel like the Mac vs. PC thing gets almost political. Really it's your opinion. Everyone has computers that they love and computers that they hate. It's all about finding what will work for you.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

It would be cheapest to stick with the mac and get CS6 with the educational pricing since you have girls in school.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I switched from a PC to a Mac (MacBook Pro) about six months ago and I <3 my Mac! It has taken some getting used to. Frankly, there are still some things that I have to figure out how to to on the Mac that I knew how to do on the PC. Overall, though, I'm very happy that I switched. I think my Mac has frozen twice in the time I've had it and I've never had a problem with any of my Adobe products. I was having problems with my PC several times a week - and it was a newer PC. And Photoshop and LR run so quickly on the Mac!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd follow Megan's advice and use CS6 on the Mac for 30 days. Don't switch back and forth between the Mac and PC. Just use the Mac and see how you like it. At the end of the 30 days you'll have your answer
Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

As somebody that had an imac in the house for almost a year before being forced to use it...I'd say go with the macbook..I'll never go back to a PC

I like the idea of downloading the trial and making yourself use it..if you absolutely hate it then go with a PC since you are comfortable with that.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 01-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love love LOVE Megan's idea. I think that will for sure help you make up your mind.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glumirk View Post
Download the free trial of CS6 to your Macbook and force yourself to use it for 30 days. If you really don't get along, then your choice will be easier.
Now there is some practical advice!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Keep in mind that if this is your first time using CS then that will be an adjustment too. Go in with an open mind and Google/SSD search at your fingertips so that you can really give it a good try. If you can get the student discount then this is definitely the cheaper option, but if it'll drive you crazy because you are really a PC person, then you will know that it's worth it to upgrade your PC.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Just throwing this in there....if you get a new PC, you are going to have to learn Windows 8.

So, you are going to have to learn a new system no matter which way you go. I switched to a Macbook Pro and have finally decided that I love it but it did take a bit to get there.

We got the kids a new laptop for Christmas and I can't figure out Windows 8 for the life of me - hate it!! But, that's me and others may really like it.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtutu View Post
Just throwing this in there....if you get a new PC, you are going to have to learn Windows 8.
Yeah, I just thought of that as well. I've heard a lot of people don't like Windows 8.

For you Mac users...do you have the 15 or 17 inch? If 15, do you find it adequate for scrapping?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i have a 17" macbook
you couldn't pay me to go back to a PC

Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the 15" MacBook Pro with retina display. I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't be big enough for scrapping, but it's been just fine. I never even got a mouse to use with it - I use the built-in touch pad, which is kind of funny because I couldn't stand the touch pad on my PC laptop.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm a PC user, and sometimes I feel like the Mac vs. PC thing gets almost political. Really it's your opinion. Everyone has computers that they love and computers that they hate. It's all about finding what will work for you.
I hear you on this. I really hate the whole debate... same with Canon vs. Nikon. I have a PC and I have a Nikon but I don't think they are any better or worse. I chose my Nikon because it fit better in my hand than the Canon which was larger and made the buttons feel like an unnatural stretch for me. I chose PC because it was all the local computer store in town sold back in '95 when we bought our first computer. I learned how to do things on a PC inside and out (I can trouble shoot, replace parts, and even build one if I needed... which I have done before) so it is what I am comfortable with. At work I have a Mac and I'm fine with that too. Some things confuse me on it since the interface is pretty different but I don't find it to be superior or inferior to PC. It's funny because there is a good mix of Mac and PC at school. The office computer is a PC, some of the teacher computers are PC, others are Mac. No one complains about what they use. So, I agree completely... find what works for you! And the advice given is stellar!

Now.... our old laptop is on it's last leg. It came with Windows XP, that's how old it is. DH bought it for me to design on but I never have been able to design on it. I actually find laptops really cumbersome and annoying. I am much faster and more efficient on a desktop. So, the laptop became DH's and he uses it for browsing the net while he's watching TV or doing mindless tasks on his WOW game (he can't do too much because the laptop is so slow). I want to get him a new laptop and I do find myself curious about a mac book. However, I'm not sure how a mac would jive on a PC network. I guess it works at school to have different platforms on the same network so I guess it shouldn't matter at home. It's just something I've considered since I've heard that they are good laptops. I don't have the knowledge and experience with laptops that I do with desktops though. Heck, I'm old school.... I still use a MOUSE. I remember not long ago asking for advice on getting a new mouse and many of you seemed shocked that I use a mouse still!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That's what I was going to say, too. Since you've already got the Mac, you might as well do this and see how you like it before investing money either way.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sherri, my Mac works just fine on the network with the PC's. We have an Apple router now, which is really nice because we can plug in the printers and EHD and access them from any computer. However, when we first got my Mac, we had a different router and I was able to print from the printers connected to the PC's just fine.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think the ease, convenience, and overall delight I have with my Mac now has WAY WAY WAY WAAAAAAAAAAAAY outweighed (hee, see what I said there?) the uncomfortable adjustment period when I got it (about 1-2 months tops). I now scrap using just the trackpad, and I'm tickled over how I don't have to rely on a mouse any more!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
It would be cheapest to stick with the mac and get CS6 with the educational pricing since you have girls in school.
Unless your husband takes you to the Apple store and you fall in love with a new one with retina display!