Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Default another military move question

Sorry, this is probably a really silly question but I seem to be receiving conflicting information. How much stuff do you pack before the movers come, and how much do you have the movers do for you? Did you put small stuff in boxes for them to move or did you let them do all that. I have talked to a lot of different people and have received a large range of answers. Thanks once again for your help.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I packed things into boxes that were specific to them..i.e. I packed my collectibles into their packaging, etc.

beyond that, I only pack our suitcases and things we are shipping ourselves. Everything else I leave for the movers to take care of.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I didn't pack anything unless it went in my suitcase or it was already in it's orginal box unopened. The reason for that is the movers have to write down EVERYTHING they pack on a inventory sheet, so sometimes if you pack a box, they will unpack and repack it~
Old 08-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

ok, sounds good. Thanks ladies.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

where are you moving too?
Old 08-15-2011, 12:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scarletsierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
I didn't pack anything unless it went in my suitcase or it was already in it's orginal box unopened. The reason for that is the movers have to write down EVERYTHING they pack on a inventory sheet, so sometimes if you pack a box, they will unpack and repack it~
This. There were a couple things I had grouped together to help keep things better organized the way *I* wanted them, but they really are meticulous and have to inventory everything, so I too was advised not to do too much packing beyond what we were taking with us. GL with the move!!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:09 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
where are you moving too?
We are moving from Phoenix to Hawaii.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It also depends on the moving company (not for what they want you to do - but for what they'll do with anything you've already done). The first time I did a move with the military, I had no clue I wasn't supposed to have everything boxed. They showed up with little to do. They took my word for what was in each box (I was pretty detailed - more then them actually) and they used my list for their own. They did look at me funny, but didn't complain.

The 2nd big move, I left EVERYTHING up to them. They showed up and looked quite irked at the place (like I was supposed to do something. I still don't know what though). Took them ALL day and they grumbled pretty much the whole time.

This time around (though it wasn't military - it's still the same. They actually thought we were a military move). I did kinda half way. I emptied out the bathroom and used it to stuff everything I was taking and then just told them that that room was off limits. And then brought everything out & down. Like - everything on the wall was stacked over here. And all my nicknacks were over there. I emptied my cupboards and drawers and stacked it on the counter...I have no clue if it helped, but I felt better knowing I did something, lol... Oh and the stuff that I did have packed (we had a storage full of stuff that didn't fit) - he started going through everything, trying to be thorough, but you can tell that a few hours into it, he gave up and just left it with whatever I had on there, lol. Basically - a packed box that THEY don't do won't be covered under insurance (and therefore, if something breaks - you're SOL).

You can sort of try to help, but there's really no way to know what can help and what can hinder the movers since each company has their own rules (and each mover has their own personal ways of handling the packing/moving).

Good luck with your move!! Hope you get settled comfortably and don't have any complications along the way

Last edited by Jen22; 08-15-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:48 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Angie. We packed what we were taking with us in the car. They packed the rest. (Drove off two days ago actually...)
Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Nothing except stuff for traveling...the first time we moved I didn't know that and packed tons! They came in and repacked everything..so lots of time wasted on my part...the next time I packed nothing except our clothes and stuff for the road.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We were told we had to take anything hanging on a wall down though, but I think that depends on the moving company. Watch them like a hawk! We lost over 50 DVD's with one of our moves, the guy packed them, and they never made the list or our new home.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Bennett View Post
We were told we had to take anything hanging on a wall down though, but I think that depends on the moving company. Watch them like a hawk! We lost over 50 DVD's with one of our moves, the guy packed them, and they never made the list or our new home.
Yes important stuff like DVD's, electronics, and tools need to be made sure they make the list not just generic descriptions! And no do not pack stuff, if you do you claim responsibility for anything broken since YOU packed it. And yes designate an area/car/room for stuff not being packed or it will be packed! They may be irked but it is what they are being paid. You are the boss here, don't feel bad for overseeing them. It is the tiny bit of control you have!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You can take photos of large collections of things, that way if they are lost, you have the proof you had them, or if something is damaged, you'll have a photo of it.

I did that with electronics, dvd's and and collectables we had.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh, another reason to watch them like a hawk. They get paid by the pound and you would be SHOCKED at what they will pack to add weight (i.e. your garbage).