Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Unhappy I don't get to go school shopping this year

All the stores are stocking school supplies now and it makes me sad. At the end of this past school year the school sent home a letter stating they wouldn't have a school supply list anymore (they used to distribute the list at the end of the school year with supplies needed for the next year). They said they are now buying supplies in bulk and making the packets for each grade level for you to purchase at open house.

I hate this because I always enjoyed going school supply shopping with my daughter each year before school. Does anyone else enjoy this too? The bad thing is, they aren't even giving you an option - they won't give a list, you have to buy the school supply packet from the school.

Am I being silly that this makes me sad? They wear uniforms at her school so we can't go school clothes shopping either - darn it, they are just taking away all of my legitimate shopping opportunities .

Happy to create for:
Old 07-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I'm obsessed with all things stationary related. I would absolutely still be going school supply shopping.

Look at it this way, you don't get go and do it now, but once you get the packet from them, it'll run out eventually and then you can go and replace schtuff
Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

Iknow! They don't do that at Nathan's school yet but they DO do it for Kindergarten. I remember being excited in 1st grade because we would get to do our own shopping, only to find out that the list was micro-specific. Red, three pronged folder, that sort of thing. We didn't really get to pick anything out at all! And then had to pay a $60 fee anyway for a stupid workbook, on top of everything else!
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I looooooooove stationary and pens, and all stuff like that. I'd be ticked! I would probably still go buy stuff LOL.

I'm sorry, it is fun to take them out and pick out their backpacks and stuff. That stinks!
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

They did that at my DS's preschool, but this year will be the first year we get to go school supply shopping, I'm actually kind of excited. Sorry, you don't get to do that this year

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 07-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ok, so I get that it would be sad not to school shop. I would miss it. But man, I'm a teacher, and we just got out of school three weeks ago. Already we have backpacks in the aisles at Target...summer vacation gets shorter and shorter....
Old 07-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

The lists are soooo specific, it's actually just easier for me to buy the box of supplies and be done with it.

Teachers always need supplies - pencils, sanitizing wipes, etc. - maybe you could buy some stuff and give it to the teacher?

Michele
Old 07-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm obsessed with all things stationary related
ME TOO!!!!!!!! I buy so much stationery!!! LOVE stuff like this!

They "pool" supplies at her school (they even did this before when you got to buy your own supplies) so all the supplies go into one big "pot" and all the kids share them. They make them last the whole year this way. The only thing they've ever asked for more of in the three years she's been in school is antibacterial gel or wipes.

Happy to create for:
Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The school I teach at does both- you can buy the pre-packaged cardboard suitcase of supplies or use the supply list and buy your own. The pre-packaged is usually done out of convenience for families with lots of kids in different grade levels or who don't want to buy their own- so I'd be bummed!
I hate walmart but their ad had CHEAP supplies- maybe because I'm a teacher (or possibly because I'm a nerd) I LOVE school supply shopping!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to MelissaL88

When my oldest was in Kindergarten, we went supply shopping. But, it was soooooo frustrating because everything was so uber-specific, dh& I spent the entire weekend driving around from store to store to try to find everything. After that, I swore I would never do it again. And, now that I have 2 in school, I much prefer to write a check to the PTO and be done with it.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to MelissaL88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirScrapalot View Post
Ok, so I get that it would be sad not to school shop. I would miss it. But man, I'm a teacher, and we just got out of school three weeks ago. Already we have backpacks in the aisles at Target...summer vacation gets shorter and shorter....
Three weeks ago????? Where do you teach? My kids have been out since May 29th. Our summer is almost over The boys (including dh LOL) go back to school on August 24th.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So you have to buy your own pencils, pens, sharpeners, rulers etc ?

In England you buy your kids their uniform, sports kit and school bag and that's all they need until they get into secondary education. Pencils, felt pens, rulers, work books etc are all provided by school.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My school breaks up for summer tomorrow
Old 07-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have either option at my kids' school, and they chose to do it ourselves this year, so I guess they like it too!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh that's no fun! Can you at least get her a book bag? Man at least "something" fun to make it feel like you're preparing for another school year.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

IKWYM. I didn't get to do that for DS for Kindy. I hope they will let us this year for 1st grade... His Kindy teacher told me that they bought the stuff just to make sure that EVERYONE had all the supplies required. Understandable but still no fun....

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 07-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

what a bummer...you can still buy some things, though, to set up a work area at home...I teach Kindergarten, and that's something we often suggest to parents who want to buy some of the extras that we don't ask for...I'm sure we'll be doing that for my DD when she gets old enough...

I can see the point of schools buying in bulk and letting parents buy from them...the schools get the supplies at an amazing discount, and they can be sure they get what they want/need most, and that all children have supplies, and it might be enough discount for some of those families who would have otherwise said they couldn't afford to do the shopping...unfortunately, not all parents are like you ladies, getting all excited about school shopping...

your post totally got me thinking that I need to be writing up my purchase list for parents. We have all the essentials for our classrooms (for the most part) but we ask for donations of items we need for the room to pool for all students use, and give a few specific requirements for student personal use items...I better get off here and go work on that list...our secretary will be after us soon for it....I get my class list next week...summer is going too quick!!!

Last edited by becca372; 07-17-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Sophomore and a Freshman and I still LOVE school supply shopping!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would be bummed too. But I think Col is right. The stuff will eventually run out and then you can shop without all the rush

~~Siggie by Laura (emmasmommy)~~
Old 07-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can imagine how you are feeling because school shopping is totally my favorite!! I would be bummed to!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

oh I would be so SAD too! I LOOOOOOVE school supply shopping time! Not that it really matters for us since we're homeschooling at the moment.

(btw, I found composition notebooks for 50 cents at Walmart this week)
Old 07-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ugh I would hate that too!! There's something thrilling about back to school shopping! They are robbing mommies everywhere!

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 07-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As an office/school supply junkie, I just buy a few special fun things to start the year off. That way I still get the fun without all the pressure. The supply lists are absolutely insane...sucks the fun out of it, I tell ya'. I personally love writing the check to the PTA and having everything ready, it ends up being less expensive too.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Though I really enjoy doing school shopping, I would have given anything for them to have prepackaged bundles to buy for DD last year for Kindergarten. We had so much trouble finding what we needed. We live in a small town so there aren't many places to shop and at the time didn't have a well enough running car to go to a bigger town to shop.

Try finding twistable crayons. It was totally impossible to find them. I even had my parents look for them at a Super Walmart and they couldn't find them. We had to get them online and pay alot more money for them on top of shipping and handling.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I looooove school supply shopping!
When I was a kid, my dad actually understood the necessity of having cool supplies - not cool because they had the latest charicter on them, but cool because they were funky pens with 'my' colours and matched my backpack, and pretty notebooks and the best markers, etc. We didn't splurge much in our family there wasn't much to go around but THIS was a big deal! I looooved going school shopping and can't wait until my kids are old enough to outfit them with the perfect stuff.
I think that's awful that they don't give you a choice

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 07-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrphanAnnie1016 View Post
Try finding twistable crayons. It was totally impossible to find them. I even had my parents look for them at a Super Walmart and they couldn't find them. We had to get them online and pay alot more money for them on top of shipping and handling.
ack, why do they make you by twistable crayons? I hate those things! my kids just twist twist twist until the crayon pops out. (well that's what they did when they were younger and now I refuse to buy them) plus I think they are just a waste of plastic.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

We had to have 2 of them. You would think that the local store that we do have would carry the supplies that we need for school or the school should supply the items that aren't available. With the gas prices I don't want to spend a bunch of driving looking for things that are impossible to find. I'm hoping she doesn't need twistables for 1st grade or I will just scream.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love school supply shopping. Last year all I had to get was a backpack and lunchkit for my son going into kindergarten. I haven't gotten a supply list yet (though school doesn't start for over a month yet), so I'm not sure if we get to go or not. I will be upset if I don't get to...I liked picking out stuff when I was in school, and was hoping to pass that on to my kids (haha).
Old 07-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Our school does that too but we never buy the packets. The supplies in stores are soooo much cheaper and I buy tons to last all year. They have spiral notebooks for like 8 cents and notebook paper for like 15 cents and crayons are down to like 10 cents. I buy like 40 to 50 dollars worth of supplies and send some in to the classrooms and keep the rest at home. The schools might buy in bulk but they charge regular price. I remember when they did it the first year at my childrens school they charged like 30 dollars for each kid and you didnt get much included
Old 07-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Our shcool provides everything (even daily snack through the 6th grade) and charges nothing. I do like this even though I like school supply shopping, it just means I can buy all the cool stuff for me and keep it all to myself!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would be sad too, my kids and I always make a morning of it! And I would be upset that you are not given the option of finding sales and saving money!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf9597 View Post
They did that at my DS's preschool, but this year will be the first year we get to go school supply shopping, I'm actually kind of excited. Sorry, you don't get to do that this year
Ditto Angel! I can't wait to go shopping for my daughter!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

It is a ritual in our house and my girls really look forward to it too. I have the option of ready packed but always do our own. However, when those crayons are 25 cents etc you could always go shopping for your home craft stash - I always pick up enough for the year in Sept when it is so cheap. BTW Does anyone need any glue I picked up for 10 cents each last fall???
Old 07-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh I would miss back to school shopping if we didn't get to go! Wesley, my oldest, is as obsessed with the stuff as I am, so it's always fun for us!
Old 07-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh wow! I think that's really cool!! And as a teacher, I like that idea. No more "she has better colors than I do" or "he has Captain Jack Sparrow folders and I don't" crap. LOL
Old 07-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I won't be going either...but that is because I have decided to homeschool my children! We have so many supplies leftover from public school that we don't need anything...plus their school work is almost all computer driven.

Our public school gave a choice of the packet or buying our own...I didn't like the packet because I know (was told by someone who did it) they were making a ton of money off it (they bought at end of season the year before) and not giving us a choice of items. It was cheaper to watch for sales and also allow my children to pick their supplies so they didn't look like all the others. Plus they always put more supplies in it than the kids used...I'd rather buy as they need it. We've got tons of notecards leftover and spiral notebooks that weren't used.

I think you should let them know you prefer to buy your own...maybe if enough speak up they will change it for next year. I'm guessing you can still take your kids to find their own favorite back pack?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was psyched to go school supply shopping until I saw the lists for the boys. JP's list won't be an issue, we'll just get what he needs and be done with it. Devin's list, OTOH, man...he's going to pitch a fit. Even with a list to show him, he will NOT be happy about having to get red, green & blue folders/notebooks. He HATES those colors, and his rather rigid Aspie personality wants what it wants. His list is so specific that it even requests velcro sneakers for ALL kindergartners. Devin's afraid of the noise velcro makes. Sigh...
Old 07-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's bittersweet for me...I actually don't enjoy trying to find all the things on the list, so I'd rather just write out a check.

BUT, I LOVE office supply stores as much as I love scrapbook stores. YUM!!! So, I enjoy stocking up on the supplies for homework and projects at our house!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

We don't get to go school clothes shopping really...my kids have a uniform (cam can wear regular clothes to prek though woot!)

I love school supply shopping though lol

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 07-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always loved school supply shopping as a kid and I still love shopping for anything like that. My niece and nephew's school does this, though, and I have to say it is nice to have it all taken care of. I think everyone likes doing this kind of shopping, but there's plenty of other back to school shopping that needs doing, so this makes one less thing for the parents to worry about.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids aren't old enough for me to worry about this yet, but I hate the controlling, uberestrictive attitude that so many schools have taken. Talk about squelching independent thought! Why can't a kid have a pink folder instead of a red one? And why can't a kid wear slip-on or buckled shoes instead of velcro ones? And why does everyone need 2 twistable crayons?

And don't even get me started about everyone who says that schools provide their supplies for free. Because, as we all know, they come from magic if the government provides them. People conveniently forget about a thing called "taxes," especially if they're hidden.

Sorry...as an economist by training, this is really something that gets under my skin.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

this is my first year having to actually go out and buy their supplies. Normally our parents advisory does the bulk shopping and we purchase from them.
And it really sucks, cause I have one in high school come September, one in grade 4, and one in grade 1! Clothes, backpacks/lunch kits AND all their stationery needs. UGH!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheltzey View Post
My kids aren't old enough for me to worry about this yet, but I hate the controlling, uberestrictive attitude that so many schools have taken. Talk about squelching independent thought! Why can't a kid have a pink folder instead of a red one? And why can't a kid wear slip-on or buckled shoes instead of velcro ones? And why does everyone need 2 twistable crayons?

That's my thought, too. I understand certain restrictions, like saying they need a solid color instead of popular characters. And I'm all for giving a list that tells you to buy 48 crayons instead of 120, or whatever. But the degree of control some of the schools are insisting on is insane. What if you've already bought shoes and they aren't Velcro? Or if there's a good reason not to buy them, like the child mentioned earlier who's bothered by Velcro? (And BTW--in that case I'd be calling the school to discuss it and get permission to ignore that requirement.) The requirement should be that every child has shoes they can get on and off independently, not that they be Velcro! I've got another year to go before DS starts K, but if this is what it's going to be like I'm dreading it. I suppose I should be glad I've been warned ahead of time!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by [michele] View Post
The lists are soooo specific, it's actually just easier for me to buy the box of supplies and be done with it.

Teachers always need supplies - pencils, sanitizing wipes, etc. - maybe you could buy some stuff and give it to the teacher?

Michele
LOVE that idea...i need me a good stapler..too bad that i am not your kids' teacher!

you can still shop...why don't you go and pick up some "at home" school supplies for homework and projects..that might be fun..and then you can get some quarantined/banned SparkLy and SHINY folders and pencils to use...you know..get the fun stuff that all teacher's ban in the classroom for HOME! Have them decorate a fun box to put all the supplies in...could be fuN!

my kindergarten teacher does that..she buys everything..very picky.but LOVE her..i would LOVE to just get all the supplies for our class too *preschool 3 year old program* but i fear that the kids are already skitzed out enough about school...at least their parents get to "buy" them something to kinda ease their fears...

xoxo.ash

Old 07-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

You know, I wonder...how much of this has to do with jealousy issues? You know how they've taken the competitiveness out of sports in the younger grades (everyone wins)...so now nobody knows how to deal with competitiveness. Now they make everyone have exactly the same things in school...now the kids aren't going to know how to deal with those issues. It's NOT preparing our kids for anything, it's just making them worse!

I can see how it stands from the point of view of families who can't go out and get supplies - not everyone has that ability financially, and that's understandable. But, if it's about making all the kids identical and conforming, and not being unique because someone might get upset/jealous/whatever...that's just ridiculous, kwim.

Yes, in school...my parents didn't have money. They had 5 kids to raise, and my dad was self-employed. Many years we reused pencil crayons, binders, notepaper (whatever was left over from the previous year was put into new binders for the next year)...my mom made us fabric lunchbags that we used for anywhere from 6-9 years of school (6 years for me, 9 for my brother)...we only got new backpacks when ours wore out, which was only every 3-4 years. Did we ever have the coolest stuff in the class? No. Were we jealous of the kids who hate the NoteTote binders and Crayola crayons/markers and cool pencil cases? You betcha. But, at least we learned to deal with those emotions and now that we're older, we can understand where our parents were coming from, not buying into all that crap.

Err...sorry. Rant over, lmao!

Last edited by ditzyscrap; 07-17-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
You know, I wonder...how much of this has to do with jealousy issues? You know how they've taken the competitiveness out of sports in the younger grades (everyone wins)...so now nobody knows how to deal with competitiveness. Now they make everyone have exactly the same things in school...now the kids aren't going to know how to deal with those issues. It's NOT preparing our kids for anything, it's just making them worse!
Bree, I TOTALLY agree with you. The school's role is NOT to make everyone the same. I really feel that the public school system is trying to take over the job of parents. I should be able to teach my child how to deal with jealousy and how we, as a family, set priorities for our money. The school is taking away those valuable teaching opportunities by trying to play "Big Mother"--and doing a terrible job at it.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love school supply shopping! In fact Walmart has everything for so darn cheap right now that I've already purchased almost everything on their lists plus extra to have at home and to send later on should they run out! The only thing we really have left to get is backpacks for both girls and a lunch bag for Kaylie, and a few new outfits of course!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:04 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I can see how it stands from the point of view of families who can't go out and get supplies - not everyone has that ability financially, and that's understandable. But, if it's about making all the kids identical and conforming, and not being unique because someone might get upset/jealous/whatever...that's just ridiculous, kwim.
I know Bree - Every year I've ALWAYS donated extra supplies because they had always put at the bottom of the list to do that if you could to help out those who didn't bring supplies. I donated the exact same things I bought my daughter and I know for a fact MANY parents did the same thing.....AND they would say specific colors and brands to buy so everyone had basically the same thing. On top of that, they always "pooled" the supplies, they told you not to write names on any supplies because it all went into a pile that was redistributed later. So, at her school at least, there was no "she's got a cooler folder than me", etc... going on because they all had the same. AND...they have to wear uniforms too and the uniforms are VERY specific....two color choices of pants/shorts/skorts: Navy or Khaki and two color choices of polo shirts: Blue or Gold (UGLY)!!! They can ONLY wear tennis shoes (and my neighbor who is on the parent advisory committee for the school said they are getting ready to crack down on what "type" of tennis shoes the kids can wear too). Yes, this is a public school.

Now.....I can see both sides of the issue regarding uniforms (even though I'd rather NOT have them - I can still see the reasoning in a broad sense), but this IS getting ridiculous! At this point there is no choice left for anything.....well at least she can still bring her lunch to school....wonder if they'll demand we buy school lunch next.

Happy to create for:
Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheltzey View Post
Bree, I TOTALLY agree with you. The school's role is NOT to make everyone the same. Snip 8<...
You will love this one! Our elementary school does NOT believe in individuality when it comes to art. When my middle child was in 6th grade (couple years ago) I was called in by his teacher to look at her wall of paintings...she was just beside herself...in art the WHOLE CLASS painted these stick trees (no leaves) and every single one of them used the SAME COLORS of paint...they were all just copycats of each other...well my son used different colors in his painting!! When she asked him why when the INSTRUCTIONS were to use purple and he used orange...he told her "well my painting was painted at a different time of day and the shadows were a different color". My husband and I just looked at her and said "well that makes perfect sense...so what's the problem?" We stood beside him in his decision.

You walk the hallways of the school...every single art project is the same...same color...same shape...nothing to show a child has any creativity. What a shame.

My kids were lucky...they grew up with a mother that was a Craft Editor and taught them that originality is what it is all about...and they stick to their principles...they still do the "technique" but they add their uniqueness to the project.

Last edited by Sharon Kay; 07-18-2008 at 02:23 PM.