Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Let's talk Olympics!

Hey girls (and Aaron ) How's everybody enjoying the Olympics? What have you been watching? What's your favorite sport?

I watched the women's gymnastics last night and winced with every extra step and fall. Those girls are wound SO tight -- too much pressure on their little 16 year old selves, if you ask me. And how about that 31 y.o. vaulter! Let's hear it for the older chicks! There's still hope for me!

My other favorite from last night was, of course, the men's swimming relay. I bet there's a little less trash talkin' from the French team going on today.

I could live without the synchronized diving (a bit boring, I thought) and I missed most of the basketball, but it sounds like it was pretty much over in the first 15 minutes anyway.

How about you?
Old 08-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yes, the french that talked all that smack and we ended up setting the new world record by an 8th of a hundredth second!!! loved it!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

That relay was amazing!!! I'm super into the swimming. Is it just me or are the swimmers major eye candy?! LORDY I need to cool off after watching them LOL
Old 08-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Speaking of older athletes, what about Dara Torres? I'm in awe of her.

Hopefully, the women gymnasts have gotten their nerves out of the way (if that's possible). I can't imagine being under that kind of pressure or even being able to do the things they can do.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I lvoeee it all...honestly-I'll watch it all...I'm watching Womens Water Polo right now...LOL
I loveeee Swimming, Diving, Gymnastics...and Beach Volleyball has always been a favorite of mine...
LOVE THE OLYMPICS...
Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i play on a rec church volleyball league, we're hoping to join in on the 2012 summer olympics.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

Yeah, that relay was amazing. I had a feeling he was going to catch up to him in the last 25 yds and it was such an amazing finish!! Those frenchies sure did put their feet in their mouths with all that trash talk. lol
And yes, swimmers have the most AMAZING bodies! Their faces... eh. But man-oh-man those bodies. **swoon**
I also watched the gymnastics and cringed the whole time. Not a good start for them.
Oh, and Dara Torres is a friggin' machine. She's amazing.
I also watched diving which was nice and a TEENY bit of rowing, which got old after about two seconds.
OH! And beach volleyball of course. I'm a volleyball nut. That downpour yesterday was terrible! Poor guys couldn't keep the ball from slipping through their ams.

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 08-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I watch everything... everything. Okay, except maybe boxing and table tennis. LOL Swimming, diving, track and field and gymnastics are my favs though. Also beach volleyball. I'm a sports nut. That relay last night was freaking awesome. The top 5 teams beat the world record.. just insane. I loved listening to Rowdy Gaines though... he was all.. the French have won.. and then... oh wait.... LOL
Old 08-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Did anyone else stare at the tv thinking that maybe Michael's suit was going to come off? No? Just me? Okay then. Moving on..........

Dara Torres rocks.. and that older vaulter... that was amazing too. Good for her.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

The americans rocked the 8 woman rowing this morning - CRAZY, though I was cheering for Canada, obviously, and my friend who rows in the third spot. I had my PVR record that this morning so I could watch it as soon as I woke up! I've been watching water polo (you must have to be crazy-strong to play that sport!!) diving, swimming, rowing, volleyball etc.
It's just that there is so mcuh going on, it's hard to catch it all. I think I'll probably end up just following a few sports that's it.

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I didn't get to watch in the evening, but we did watch the US/China basketball game and part of the US/China Water Polo game during the day. I love watching swimming, diving, track and gymnastics during the summer olypics. I do watch what ever is on, but love those.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Dara Torres has the SICKEST body EVAH! Majoy kudos to her!!

I missed the relay, but have it recorded and am watching it as soon as I get home. I must've JUST fallen asleep when it came on, lol.

I alsways watch the gymnastics since my sister to do it, and I love the swimming. I thought the synchronized diving yesterday was FASCINATING! Lol! Synchronized swimming is eh for me, but the diving is sooooo much more difficult!
I like almost all of it. Rowing, soccer, Beach Volleyball for SURE, gymnastics, diving, swimming. There's very little I won't watch, lol.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

is synchro diving new? relatively new? I don't recall seeing it before. I find diving itself fascinating.

darn, missed the relay you all are talking about
Old 08-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I haven't had a chance to watch ANY of it yet. I was trying to get laundry done during men's volleyball... I used to drool over one of the guys on the mens volleyball team who went to BYU... he was in one of my classes... it was just me & him & 1000 other people!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My favorite has always been the diving! I love it!!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meems View Post
is synchro diving new? relatively new? I don't recall seeing it before. I find diving itself fascinating.

darn, missed the relay you all are talking about
I think so, Mimi. I don't remember it in Athens, but I could be wrong.

Here's a link.. I think this is the actual race.... I can't check it but try this...

http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/...+delivers+gold

Scroll about 3/4 way down and it should say watch race.. try that.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The relay was fantastic! I'm wishing to Michael Phelps that he gets all those 8 golds.

I was watching shooting a lot, because we had there some great competitors - and won 2 golds, btw which is a BIG success for our small country.

Looking forward to athletics most.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
Did anyone else stare at the tv thinking that maybe Michael's suit was going to come off? No? Just me? Okay then. Moving on..........
Oh no you weren't the only one Sara, he's some very yummy eye candy though!!
Old 08-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm hopelessly addicted to the Olympics. I always am anytime they're on!! I watch pretty much all of the events, but swimming and gymnastics are always tops on my list!! My 3 year old was absolutely enamoured by the women's gymnastics last night - afterwards she wanted to reenact everything they did!!

And no, Sara, I was watching too waiting to see if it was coming off, LOL!!
Old 08-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

WOW! Just watched the video, that relay was amazing!
Old 08-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbysMommy View Post
I'm hopelessly addicted to the Olympics. I always am anytime they're on!! I watch pretty much all of the events, but swimming and gymnastics are always tops on my list!! My 3 year old was absolutely enamoured by the women's gymnastics last night - afterwards she wanted to reenact everything they did!!

And no, Sara, I was watching too waiting to see if it was coming off, LOL!!
LOL Laurie thats really funny! My six year old SON was jumping off the couch and twisting around and then making me and DH judge and score his "dives". LOL

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 08-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Having been a swimmer for 10 years I pretty much watch all of that.......YEAH Men's Relay team (LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!) I really don't have a favorite, I am in awe of every swimmer!!!!! Love the diving, all gymnastics...I think that is about it for me!!!!!

Proudly creating for:
LCC by Amy Stoffel, Cori Gammon, DIGI SCRAP ADDICTS Site CT,
Faith True, Geek Chic Scraps, Jac Bernardo, Laura Banasiak, Litabells Designs, Kelley Mickus, Micheline Martin Designs, Nikki Epperson,
Penny Springmann, SCRAP ORCHARD Site CT, THE DAILY SCRAPPER Site CT
Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
Here's a link.. I think this is the actual race.... I can't check it but try this...

http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/...+delivers+gold

Scroll about 3/4 way down and it should say watch race.. try that.
thanks, Sara! wow, what an amazing race!
Old 08-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcameronsmommy View Post
LOL Laurie thats really funny! My six year old SON was jumping off the couch and twisting around and then making me and DH judge and score his "dives". LOL

Abby was practicing her dives and her gymnastics too. She's decided she wants to be in the olympics but she only wants to do floor exercises because the others are too scary. LOL
Old 08-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm so loving the Olympics! My heart was in my throat watching the women's gymnastics yesterday. I hope the US comes back in the finals!

And Sara, I so thought his suit was going to come off! lol

Old 08-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I haven't been watching much, it's been pouring here for days, and the kids have taken over my tv with their Wii
Old 08-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a swimming fanatic so I have been watching it as much as possible! But honestly I have the TV on pretty much all day catching the events during the Olympics! I am a TEAM USA cheerleader all the way!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I am a sports fan, and watch quite a bit from the Olympics. But I try to watch the sports where my fellow norwegians are doing good (off course).
And that is handball, rowing (is it called that? ), football (Norway beat USA 2-0 by the way... ), sand volleyball, and more...

There are only about 4,5 million norwegians in this world, so I think we are doing pretty good compared to the big great nations as USA, China, Russia ++

Old 08-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Brooke W

I'll watch whatever is on frankly,lol. I tried hard to not get involved with it this year but couldn't help myself . I even watched Ladies' singles badminton. That is one wicked game!I just love all of it, sports fan that I am.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

The ones I like best - archery, fencing & riflery don't get much air time, at least not convenient air time. We did get to see some archery earlier today though.

I enjoy the gymnastics too. I like it better when they get to the individual competitions because the networks shows people other than the US. Nothing against the US but I do start to wonder how the other countries gymnasts are doing.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scarletsierra

I love it all. I'm just in awe of the excellence in athleticism. It's amazing. I'm amazed by that fabulous relay (never seen anything like it). I'm amazed by Dara Torres. I'm amazed by Misty and Kerri. By the horses. By our fencing sweep. By the team unity and positivity of the women's gymnastics. And there's so much more to come. Loooove it all. (lol)

My two year old has been fascinated as well. She especially loves the swimming and gymnastics and says "wow" and "cooool" and "awesome" the whole time. It's so cute!

(oh and Sara...yes, Michael's suit was precariously positioned if I do say so myself. LOL)
Old 08-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love a lot of the sports - love the swimming, bike racing, gymnastics, archery, shooting and weightlifting. The US is doing so well in swimming this year. And I would think that if it hadn't been raining so much yesterday, it would have been an amazing experience to bike so close to the Great Wall.
Dara Torres is such an inspiration as is Melanie Roach (although she didn't get a medal, she placed 6th in women's weighlifting in her class even after back surgery 2 years ago and she has an autistic son as well). They show that not all the Olympians need to be in their 20s or younger to be successful.
The gymnastics was a bit scary for the US women's team with the injuries and errors in their programs. But Shawn Johnson was definitely the best of that bunch. I would love to see the men's team win gold, as well as Shawn getting the individual women's gold, too.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 08-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
Oh no you weren't the only one Sara, he's some very yummy eye candy though!!
LOL, I saw this on perezhilton, and thought of you ladies, so I brought it to share:

Anyways....the swimmings on in the background, now gymnastics...I really hope that Michael gets all 8. Did anyone see the story about Mark Spitz being pissed that they didn't invite him to the olympics? check out yahoo...

BTW I heart Kerri Walsh..

Old 08-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Okay, don't be hatin' on me all you Phelps fans, but the Fu manchu is sooooo not working for him! I was watching an interview with him earlier today and all I could think was, "Dude, you could so use a date with a razor!"
Old 08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

michael phelps is ghastly, btw...but he did just win his 3rd gold!!! YAY!!!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

ummm...the korean who just placed 2nd is hot, however!!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappychic

Love gymnastics, diving, and surprisingly cycling! I think biking in the rain was kinda intriguing, I was looking for a crash.

*Dianne Rigdon*Jan Guest for Krystal Hartley*
Old 08-12-2008, 01:38 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I watch pretty much anything Especially when there are medals on offer! I am looking fwd to the dressage and equestrian.. the Aussies are supposed to be doing well apparently. I love the swimming but im so cranky at the IOC!!! For once, it would have been PERFECT timing for us Aussies to come home for work, have dinner and watch the finals at a decent time with a beverage in hand... but nooooo..... they had to go swap the finals to the MORNING so they are on when I'm at work and not able to watch them cos I dont have a freaking TV in my office!!!

Also creating layouts for Pickleberry Pop
Old 08-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I'm only able to watch the late evening ones with swimming and gymnastics. We just won four 1st places in a row in swimming tonight. I know I'm outnumbered here by the Phelps fans but I thought Piersol is some major eye candy. Yum!

Lizzy, I thought the Korean is a cutie too!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

NOT a Micheal Phelps fan, I find him obnoxious. lol We are loving watching all the games though. Sophia is especially into the horse stuff since she takes riding lessons!