Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2009, 05:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Help me choose a camera please!

I need help choosing a new camera so I'm looking for recommendations from you lovely ladies

I have a point and shoot at the moment (about 5 years old), and it's time for a new one. I'm not even sure if I want to go the DSLR route, or another point and shoot.

I tested out my sister's DSLR for a few weeks and just couldn't get a feel for it. I think it was just too big for me, and I didn't want to spend the time learning how to use it, lol.

I'm quite happy with the quality of my photos at the moment (Sony Cybershot), the problem I have with the camera is the shutter lag....and most of my pics are of the kids, so I sometimes end up with blurry bits as they just won't sit still! I'm sure that 5 years later, I could get a point and shoot with a better shutter lag than what I have? I also got to test out a friend's newer Cybershot (T200), but found there was a lot of noise in the pics, that I don't get with my own older model.

So....help?!! What would you recommend? And particular cameras that you'd be happy to recommend?

Thanks ladies
Old 10-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If you want less lag and less noise, the best thing to do is go for a DSLR. I was looking for the same thing as you a year and a half ago and didn't find it in a point and shoot. I hardly ever go off of automatic and I think my pics are pretty good most of the time
Old 10-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am also trying to decide what kind of camera to buy...and I don't think I am ready for the DSLR route. I am leaning towards this camera that just got released - it sounds like it is the closest thing you are going to get to a DSLR.

I read this review:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s90.htm

which has me almost convinced. I am just not sure if I want to spend that much money. The reviews on Amazon are good too. What attracts to me this camera is its low-light capabilities. I have been so frustrated with my current camera because it sucks in low-light situations.

I will be curious to see what people recommend though, it might help me in my search too.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

This is what I have now for a point and shoot, and I luv it: Canon PowerShot SD960IS - I have the snazzy blue one.

Here is a great article from the daily digi, with some more review sites, and some camera recommendations, tho some are a bit more pricey than I wanted to spend on a P&S.

And while I love the flexibility of a DSLR, that's simply not my life right now with a diaper bag. This does it for me.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks girls.

The more I think about it, I don't want to the SLR route at the moment, so I'll check out those links Nettie - thank you.

Jenny, I looked at that camera too, great review from Ken Rockwell....but then, I have to wonder, do I really need all its features, lol. And then there's the cost. It's $430 on Amazon.com, but I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic for them to ship to me . It would cost me about €445 here, which is currently approx $650 and there's no way I could spend that on a camera!

I have also been looking at this one (probably because I'm familiar with the Sony brand already!!), but I'm really at a loss as to what to go for