Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've never had a response that rude, but I have had negative comments. Usually I get the whole "I wish I had time to scrapbook" comment which irritates me but I don't think people usually mean it in the way it's taken. I love Jacinda's comebacks though.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

My SIL makes passive aggressive comments about 'wishing she had all that time' to do something like that occasionally when I post layouts.

I always want to say something about how if she cut back on the time she spent laying in her tanning bed & going out drinking with her friends she'd have as much time as I do.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I've never got comments like that and if I ever did I'd tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine!!! It's none of anyone's business how you use YOUR time!! I find that people who "attack" like that are the ones lacking something in their life so they must attack your choices to make up for it!!! IF you don't want to be mean like I would be then you could be a little "funny" and post this on her wall....

Hey [insert name} I found your nose.....it was in my business"!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshobbes View Post
I would totally snark with a passive-aggressive comment. Or post Jacinda's comment (the first or the second, lol) and then move her to my "ohhhrrrrrmm" friends list (yes, it's really labeled that way) where they don't see anything at all. "Friends" like that can totally hang out with my MIL who's in that list too.
My MIL is on that same list! Haha.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Wow, thanks for all the support you guys!! I love this place!!! You are all so great.

I messaged her privately this morning. I basically sent a brief message along the lines of: "I know you probably meant to be funny & teasing but it came out rude & mean" and then I deleted the whole conversation from my album's comments. But not before I took a screen shot of it. LOL.

I can't un-friend her. Not only is she someone I frequently see (she currently works at my church believe it or not) but my mom is somewhat friends with her. She would be very vocal to my family and friends at church if I un-friended her. She will probably say something about this whole thing to my mom as it is. She has a.... strong personality. I am going to change my settings to filter things from her view. I don't need anymore of her sarcastic biting comments in my life!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd love to be everyone's FB friends from the Sweet Shoppe! You can find me on Laura, Tara or Amber's lists. Or traci, or kristin....LOL.

Anyway, ignore people like that. You're capturing your family's memories and that is priceless. if your laundry sits another day....SO BE IT
Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can happen to be very snarky if I'm attacked like that lol... my comment would have been along the lines of -- assuming she was posting during work hours

"Did you check the mail, file some papers and get your bosses coffee before you hopped on facebook to see what I'm doing? Besides my FABULOUS husband doesn't mind so neither should you. get a life."

That is SO rude of her. I can't stand negative people. Seriously how much time does she spend watching TV, on FACEBOOK, reading or whatever she is in to besides being all in other peoples mix?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It makes me sad when a woman feels the need to criticize another and make her feel inadequate! You are leaving a wonderful gift for your children and future generations! And you are a better person for those you love because you are able to find time to do something you enjoy!

Everyone has something - be it TV, or working out, or sleeping, or going out drinking. We all have the same number hours in the day, don't hate me for the way I choose to spend mine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
Just because I have a hobby doesn't mean I constantly shirk my responsibilities. Sure, sometimes I do! But her comments were way off today. Couldn't be more wrong.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have encountered this sort of thing before and from some of my closest friends. I get a lot of "where do you find the time?" comments. In addition to scrapbooking, I also do birth announcements and invites for friends although less now that most of my friends are done having babies.

I work full-time and commute 3 hours a day (there and back) and I was staying up late on the weekends to scrapbook and do other computery projects. I commented on being tired to my closest friend and she basically told me that maybe I should drop the hobbies since obviously they aren't very good for me. She doesn't get the scrapbooking or my rabid love of taking pictures (though she is often the beneficiary of my obsession since I always take lots of photos of her kids at events and she often doesn't even bring her camera). I have even stopped showing her my layouts or books since she doesn't seem to care. When she told me to drop scrapbooking, I was so upset - somehow I don't think my beloved creative outlet is what is damaging to my health...perhaps it is my stressful job and waking up at 4:45 every day!!!

I don't share layouts on Facebook because there are just too many people on there that are more acquaintances and my layouts feel too personal to share with them. I don't even like that they see my commments on scrapbooking Facebook pages!!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Banned

profile gallery

I got some of those types of comments when I left work to be a SAHM. I'm a very nice person, but if someone wrongs me like that, I give it to them. lolol She may want to pay more attention in church the next time she's there, and I'd tell her so. She could put up any fuss she wanted in church or otherwise, but I'd calmly stand my ground and let her know that her hateful, judgmental comments are her own issues she needs to deal with.

I'm sure your mom would understand if you unfriended her. No one deserves that kind of hate in their lives. {{big hugs}}
Old 04-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow. How incredibly rude. I am super sensitive so I would have been very upset by it. Looks like you handled it perfectly Brook!! Good for you!!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScrap View Post
I got some of those types of comments when I left work to be a SAHM. I'm a very nice person, but if someone wrongs me like that, I give it to them. lolol She may want to pay more attention in church the next time she's there, and I'd tell her so. She could put up any fuss she wanted in church or otherwise, but I'd calmly stand my ground and let her know that her hateful, judgmental comments are her own issues she needs to deal with.

I'm sure your mom would understand if you unfriended her. No one deserves that kind of hate in their lives. {{big hugs}}
I was thinking the same thing. I don't care where I know them from or who they're friends with, I don't keep that kind of negativity in my life, period. I lived too long keeping various people around because I felt like I had to for one reason or another. It was quite liberating when I stopped putting them ahead of me & my family and started focusing on what I needed (and I mean that - what I NEEDED) to be happy. Scrapping is a HUGE part of me and I won't give it up for the world!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
They see me rollin'. They hatin'. They try to catch me ridin' dirty.
Okay, I admit I didn't read through this whole thread, but this totally cracked me up! I think those kinds of comments usually stem from jealousy. Don't let it get to you! Just keep making those fabulous pages for you and your family. There's always gonna be haters. Just let 'em hate! LOL

ETA: If you (or anyone else) want to add me on FB, feel free! I love my scrappin' peeps!
https://www.facebook.com/kendall.tubbs

Last edited by kendallt; 04-03-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad you contacted her about it. That was totally inappropriate. I would have came right out and told her she was rude too. I don't have much tolerance for that kind of behavior. I'm glad you resisted the urge to be snarky to her, good for you!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I'm sorry you got such a rude comment and now are actually spending your energy on dealing with it Brook.
I get those sarcastic "where do you find time for it" or "if I only had so much time", too. I'm considering to start to reply: "Well, I won 10 hours more a day in a lottery, you know. I'm sorry you didn't participate."
Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

PERFECT! Thats what I would say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I wasn't aware I had to be a 50s housewife before I was allowed to scrapbook.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

This thread is great! I'll admit there are times when I want to scrapbook when I should be doing other things. But, overall, my family isn't suffering because of this hobby. I cook dinner, I play with my kids, the laundry gets done (just not folded - lol).

I recently had a friend tell me that when she sees my pages on FB, it makes her feel bad because she doesn't scrapbook. I had to laugh because this is a girl who is VERY involved in a lot of things. She has a successful photography business and a regular spot on a local tv program, etc., etc., etc. So my response to her comment was to kind of laugh and tell her that she does plenty of things that I don't do and she doesn't need to feel guilty about not scrapping. And, then she said, "Yeah. But, what you do MATTERS."

So, just remember that. Yeah - it's a hobby. It can be time consuming. But, in the end, you are preserving memories for you and your family. And, that matters.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberK View Post
PERFECT! Thats what I would say!
I know!!! I love this comment. I might even make a page about it... and post it on Facebook.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm pretty damn serious about scrapbooking being the MOST worthwhile hobby. It's the only thing that preserves and shares your LIFE with people you love now and in the future. I learned the hard way having a father die from Alzheimer's how much history can be lost. I still regret that I wasn't a scrapbooker before my FIL died so I could get his amazing history from him first-hand.

So someone like that would be unfriended, or at least blocked from my layouts, pretty quickly.

I don't get that from others, most are just jealous.

And oh yay - more FB friends! (my link is in my siggy)
Old 04-03-2012, 12:47 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Oh yeah - my FB link is in my siggy too. I love having my scrappy friends on FB.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

https://www.facebook.com/heather.m.greenwood
Old 04-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

wow. that was rude. i'd totally think of some smart ass comment to say.

that being said, yah, sometimes i do slack on housework and things to scrap/etc instead. so what? no one sees the mess but me and since i don't get any help with anything i get burnt out and just don't want to do housework lol. so what? hahaha
Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I know!!! I love this comment. I might even make a page about it... and post it on Facebook.
LOL, that would awesome.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I would totally be a smart ass.

and you already have me, but for those that don't... www.facebook.com/kscwgirl
Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

You can choose to put her on a list that doesn't get to see your stuff..
Old 04-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

sounds like a great response with you emailing her about it. did she ever reply back? i'd love to hear her response.

i want scrappy FB friends! lol https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=706422159
Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
sounds like a great response with you emailing her about it. did she ever reply back? i'd love to hear her response.
No response yet. I have a feeling she won't.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Brook here is my FB info.........

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=621026087
Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

This totally would have gotten to me, too. You took the high road (which is more than I would have done), and that's all you can do. The ball's in her court now. If she doesn't respond to you, that kinda tells you what kind of person she is. If she didn't mean it the way it came across, she should be begging for you to forgive her and keep her comments in check. If she did mean it as it came out, well then, poo on her. I hate it when women are trying to bring each other down. I feel like we should all be one big tribe LOL.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ugh I hate rude people!

I've never had anything said to me, but when I post my pages on FB I have a separate list for all the scrappy people so people who don't do it don't see my pages!

My fb is www.facebook.com/gemmacrane. My Internet is down so I can't add anyone tonight but I can accept requests or I'll add people tomorrow
Old 04-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalskate View Post
If she doesn't respond to you, that kinda tells you what kind of person she is. If she didn't mean it the way it came across, she should be begging for you to forgive her and keep her comments in check. If she did mean it as it came out, well then, poo on her. I hate it when women are trying to bring each other down. I feel like we should all be one big tribe LOL.
I agree with this 100%!!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomi View Post
I get those sarcastic "where do you find time for it" or "if I only had so much time", too. I'm considering to start to reply: "Well, I won 10 hours more a day in a lottery, you know. I'm sorry you didn't participate."
LOL!! I need to store this for any future comments the require a response like this, lol. Love it
Old 04-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnidge View Post
What?! "So, are you going to be adding more photos to this later?" They don't get the "art" of it and didn't understand why my photos didn't fill the entire page. Hellllooooo... it's called composition and white space!
Ha! My mom often says, but the pictures are writting are so small, I like it when they are bigger so I can see them more.. Yeah, I don't really want it to take up the entire page.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Ha! My mom often says, but the pictures are writting are so small, I like it when they are bigger so I can see them more.. Yeah, I don't really want it to take up the entire page.
Yeah. My mom goes "You get so interested in the artsy part of it that you forget that it's supposed to be PICTURES. Like a photo album! I can't see the photos on this screen!" I say, "Mom, when it's in an 8x8 book, you'll see them just fine."

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 04-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the support you guys!! I love this place!!! You are all so great.

I messaged her privately this morning. I basically sent a brief message along the lines of: "I know you probably meant to be funny & teasing but it came out rude & mean" and then I deleted the whole conversation from my album's comments. But not before I took a screen shot of it. LOL.

I can't un-friend her. Not only is she someone I frequently see (she currently works at my church believe it or not) but my mom is somewhat friends with her. She would be very vocal to my family and friends at church if I un-friended her. She will probably say something about this whole thing to my mom as it is. She has a.... strong personality. I am going to change my settings to filter things from her view. I don't need anymore of her sarcastic biting comments in my life!
Good for you for saying something and deleting the comment!

This all reminds me of a facebook friend I have who is constantly making these passive aggressive comments and trying to start arguments about parenting. Apparently she hates being a parent and she wants the world to know that she's a great person even though she doesn't like being a mom. Today she was talking about how people think she's a crappy mom because she has other interests besides her kids and doesn't sacrifice for her kids and that when her kids move out she won't be upset or mope around because she has a life. I get so sick of hearing about her parenting views (if you can call them that) and how she feels like people think she's a bad mom. She won't hesitate to say she thinks its terrible when people get wrapped up in their kids' lives. Ugh. I really need to unfriend her but I haven't done it. We were great friends in high school for about a year before she moved away. We kept in touch for a few years after school. We lost touch, reunited through the internet and she did something stupid that could have really messed with my marriage back when we'd only been married for a month. We lost touch after that for 4 years and then connected for a bit and then lost touch again for another 6 years.

oops... sorry about going off on my own tangent... she just irritated me today (again)
Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love this community. I've seen some other forums (not necessarily scrapping) where even a thread like this among people who share the same hobby would bring out the haters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
This thread is great! I'll admit there are times when I want to scrapbook when I should be doing other things. But, overall, my family isn't suffering because of this hobby. I cook dinner, I play with my kids, the laundry gets done (just not folded - lol).
I'll even go a step further and say that scrapping makes me a better wife and mother. It's the one thing I do that's entirely for me, and spending a few hours on it in the evening renews me and gives me the patience to deal with whatever kid-drama is thrown my way the next day. When I get too busy to take that time for myself for a few days in a row, I'm short-tempered and stressed. I can guarantee my family's well being is affected more by my mood than by how many days it has been since I vacuumed.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I'll even go a step further and say that scrapping makes me a better wife and mother. It's the one thing I do that's entirely for me, and spending a few hours on it in the evening renews me and gives me the patience to deal with whatever kid-drama is thrown my way the next day. When I get too busy to take that time for myself for a few days in a row, I'm short-tempered and stressed. I can guarantee my family's well being is affected more by my mood than by how many days it has been since I vacuumed.
I agree. I think scrapbooking makes me a better person
Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

My response to her - would have been : "YAH - I am JUST this GOOD - at everything I do !!" LOL
Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yari View Post
Here's the thing. For some reason or another, people just don't seem to understand that by someone else doing something good or being able to do something doesn't diminish them in any way and that they should just be happy for them.
So well said!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So -- did she ever reply? I feel like such a gossip right now, lol
Old 04-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_eyes22 View Post
So -- did she ever reply? I feel like such a gossip right now, lol
NO! She didn't. Can you believe it???

Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberK View Post
Just tell her to mind her own damn business. Or ask her if she took some "hater-ade" this morning.
LOVE this. What a great response!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
Good for you for saying something and deleting the comment!

This all reminds me of a facebook friend I have who is constantly making these passive aggressive comments and trying to start arguments about parenting. Apparently she hates being a parent and she wants the world to know that she's a great person even though she doesn't like being a mom. Today she was talking about how people think she's a crappy mom because she has other interests besides her kids and doesn't sacrifice for her kids and that when her kids move out she won't be upset or mope around because she has a life. I get so sick of hearing about her parenting views (if you can call them that) and how she feels like people think she's a bad mom. She won't hesitate to say she thinks its terrible when people get wrapped up in their kids' lives. Ugh. I really need to unfriend her but I haven't done it. We were great friends in high school for about a year before she moved away. We kept in touch for a few years after school. We lost touch, reunited through the internet and she did something stupid that could have really messed with my marriage back when we'd only been married for a month. We lost touch after that for 4 years and then connected for a bit and then lost touch again for another 6 years.

oops... sorry about going off on my own tangent... she just irritated me today (again)
I love that part in FB where you can just turn people off!!! I turned off one acquantaince who was constantly posting pictures of herself in the mirror. It was just too wierd. I also turn off people that get way to political. I'm just not interested in a political discussion.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
NO! She didn't. Can you believe it???
Seriously!? Well - in my book, that means she meant it in the not so nice way. Pooh on her!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Grrrr... I hate people like that. I have a couple on my friends list that are like that too. I changed my notifications to a custom list where my posts go to "friends except...." I figure if they come look for me, then they can, but my posts won't pop up. I figure 'out of sight, out of mind'! Sorry you are dealing with meanies!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Hey, is ur laundry done, house cleaned, dinner ready for ur fabulous husband, yet?!?!

And, despite the hair rising on my back a bit, I reply : "Yep! "

Then 2 minutes later she responds:

Right............. Bahahahaha!
WOAH. Completely rude. I wouldn't be so nice. The comment that popped into my head?

"You know, I scrap to relax after my "wifely" duties are done. And, in fact, this page took me less time that it took you to look at it, think of a scathing comment, and post. I just choose to be PRODUCTIVE with my time. Thanks for commenting!"

Huge fan of:

Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I would have replied, "oh, you haven't heard?? I got a maid and a chef to do all those types of things, so I have all the time in the world to do exactly what I want to do!!!" LOLOLOL
Old 04-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

LOL! You all have such great snarky responses!!! I know where to come when I need ideas for comebacks in the future.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

wow that's really an off thing to say... luckily i haven't got any comments like that in FB.. but IRL as in face to face, yep! and their first assumption, always, is i don't have kids yet, that's why i have lots of free time in my hand. i just shrug them off...

i love the comebacks the girls suggested!
if ever someone commented that kind of thing to one of my pages/albums, i'd probably say that this hobby is what keeping me sane living and working in the Middle East (well, in life in general, lol!)

and yep, scrapbooking reminds me to be a better person too
Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

This is why I pick and choose what I add or post to Facebook. I've discovered that people say a lot more on FB than they would actually say to you in person. Like others have said already, I would have some "clever" comment back and then I'd delete her. She's probably just jealous any way!!