Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default 10-year-old with a Migraine?

Is it possible for a 10-year-old to have a migraine? Poor Regan had to come home from school today because her head was hurting...she's miserable. Not really any other symptoms but the headache. I've given her Ibuprophen twice but it doesn't seem to be helping.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Well, my 4 year old nephew gets migraines all the time, so it's definitely possible. But, he has a brain tumor that causes his, so. . . . I used to get really bad headaches and had at least one migraine as a young teenager. I know mine were partly caused from stress - I was a little too serious about school. When I learned to relax, the headaches got a lot better.

If she just started school, is it possible that she's feeling a little overwhelmed and stressed out?

At any rate, if it's something that starts to happen on a regular basis, I'd definitely have it checked out. Poor thing! Hope she gets some relief soon.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh no! I would definately keep an eye on her. Bad headaches can be symptoms of other things that you would definately want to see a doctor for. You might want to call her doc to see if there are other symptoms you should be watching for that would steer it in that direction. Or even if 'nothing' is important?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had LOTS of migraines when I was around twelve or thirteen. I was a little too high strung and let myself get stressed out too easily. I actually got a headache every single time I had to ride the bus one year during basketball season. I think a lot of it was how loud and bumpy the ride was.

I eventually had to have an MRI, see a neurologist, etc but they never really figured out a cause.

I hope she feels better soon!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I had migraines in 2nd grade. They never figured out what was causing them, and eventually they went away. I would just go to bed whenever they hit. Sorry she's feeling bad!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

It is possible. My son had them when he was 6ish. His would come with dizziness and seeing spots. They did not last long and if he got sick (vomiting) the headahche would go away. I did not want to use anything strong prescription based though. We had tests and nothing showed up and he got over it in the following months. ETA: The headaches only lasted only a couple hours but over a couple months they went away completely.

My BFF's son also has migraines and has had them basically his whole life. He is sensitive to bright lights and sounds, gets nauseated and has really bad pain in his head. They did find a mass on his brain but it was not cancerous so the doctor just monitors it...his dr said the area the mass showed up would not be causing the migraines though.

Finally I started getting migraines (same symptoms as my friends son) after a car accident. My dr believed mine were caused by nerve damage in my neck.

I guess my advice would be to call the dr and have her checked out. Little kids can get migraines. If she is under a certain age when she starts getting them (6 I think but Im not sure) they can go away on their own and never come back.

ETA:Have you asked her if she has any other symptoms with the headache? I ask this because my neurologist told me that there are so many different types of headaches and you can have a really severe headache without it being a migraine.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by jessica31876; 08-24-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've had migraines for as long as I can remember... hormones, stress, and food allergies can all be triggers...

Since it's her first one like this and OTC pain killers aren't helping... I'd take her to her doctor... I sure hope it breaks soon - I know that they are no fun!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My kids both get migraines. Avery had an MRI done in 4th grade for it, but nothing was wrong. They attributed it to just being sensitive to all the smells, sounds, and stuff at the school. I give my kids Midol (for the tylenol and caffeine combo) and benadryl (to combat allergy triggers and to settle their stomachs because the headaches make them nauseous).
Old 08-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Has she/is she hitting puberty? That could be another cause...my aunt was flat on her back in bed for 2 days a month from age 8 until she had her hysterectomy.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There are a lot of different types of headaches but I started getting migraines at around 9 or 10 and my oldest DD started getting them around the same time. There are so many variations and triggers, you may want to keep in mind what's going on and what she's eating etc. We get really sick with ours, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Hope she feels better soon
Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I've had migraines for as long as I can remember... hormones, stress, and food allergies can all be triggers...

Since it's her first one like this and OTC pain killers aren't helping... I'd take her to her doctor... I sure hope it breaks soon - I know that they are no fun!
Yes. Sad but true! I remember my first one in third grade. Had a headache and suddenly a "juror dot" kept appearing when I'd look at the teacher. Not knowing what was wrong I toughed it out as long as possible until I couldn't see at all. Definitely talk to the doctor. Aleve may help as naproxen is a key ingredient in the successful migraine meds I found.

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

One of my boys started getting them as early as we can remember. We didn't figure out till later what was going on though...until he could talk and tell us. Screaming, pain, vomiting, etc...

He went through every kind of test too...MRI, pain management doctors, allergy testing, special cranial adjustments, accupuncture, etc... Excedrine Migraine (which I understand is off the market right now), did help some if we caught it early enough.

He started on migraine meds (prescribed) when he was about 13. He was getting 3 - 4 a week at that point in time...it was really hard.

He takes inderal now (I believe it's blood pressure med) and it helps keep them under control. I would say that is only for cases where they are getting a lot of them, and he was an adult when he started that. He is finally able to go more than a week though without getting one.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh poor Regan! You sure don't want to consider that it's hormones, but it sounds possible. When did Riley start showing hormone change symptoms?

Does she get headaches at all at other times? One of Johnny's signs of dehydration is a headache. It can happen fast. If he says he has a headache I'll ask him, "How much water have you been drinking?" The response is usually, "Uhh... none." lol!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry. My oldest daughter started getting migraines at age 10 and now my youngest has started getting them at age 8.
I started keeping track of them so I could show the doctor.

Funny timing:
The school just called.....my 8 year old has a migraine!!

Last edited by Kjersti; 08-24-2012 at 12:23 PM.