Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-04-2020, 11:44 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default Affinity & Shadows

Hello, long time lurker wanting to get more involved here. I have been reading the message boards over the last few days looking for a tutorial on shadowing specifically using Affinity.

I scrap mainly on my iPad and have some shadows saved from Grace Lee but what I am looking for is a tutorial on the how & why on shadowing. I see some shadows that look like they are different all over. Meaning, it doesn’t look like the shadow is the same all around the object but a little deeper in areas. (I hope that makes sense).

Can anyone using Affinity point me in the direction of a tutorial or two?

Thank you!
Old 01-04-2020, 11:49 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

welcome!! I don't use it but I am sure there is someone who will pop in and help you out.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:31 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Hello!! Since I made those shadow styles you mentioned, I'll try to explain the reasoning behind them. First, shadowing works differently in Affinity and Photoshop. I'm not sure if this has changed (I haven't played in Affinity for a couple of months) but in Affinity, the shadows change according to the size of the object. So the same shadow style will look different on a button and a large piece of paper. This issue doesn't exist in PS and makes it harder to make a consistent shadow style in Affinity.

In general, shadows become bigger, fuzzier and lighter the bigger the object (since it's lifted off the page). Shadows for objects that lay flat (like paper) are more defined and darker. You'll need to play with your shadows if you want them to look realistic. I usually err on the side of bigger shadows for a more dramatic look. This is a recent layout I did:

As you can see, the more items I stack on top of one another, the bigger the shadows become. The butterflies, as well, are shadowed in a way that look like they're flying off the page.

I have a more detailed tutorial at Scrapaneers. https://scrapaneers-society.mn.co/po...-right-2771494 The controls in Affinity correspond as follows to those in PS. "Radius" is "Distance," "Size" is "Offset," and "Intensity" is "Spread." If you play around those settings and follow the tutorial, you should be able to get the result you want. Let me know if you have other questions!

PS. for shadows that look different in places (like the title in my layout), the shadow may have been separated from its layer and modified individually. I'm sure there's a workaround in Affinity but I did that in PS.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:43 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Thank you Grace. I will check out the Scrapaneers post and let you know if I have any questions. I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceLee View Post
Hello!! Since I made those shadow styles you mentioned, I'll try to explain the reasoning behind them. First, shadowing works differently in Affinity and Photoshop. I'm not sure if this has changed (I haven't played in Affinity for a couple of months) but in Affinity, the shadows change according to the size of the object. So the same shadow style will look different on a button and a large piece of paper. This issue doesn't exist in PS and makes it harder to make a consistent shadow style in Affinity.

In general, shadows become bigger, fuzzier and lighter the bigger the object (since it's lifted off the page). Shadows for objects that lay flat (like paper) are more defined and darker. You'll need to play with your shadows if you want them to look realistic. I usually err on the side of bigger shadows for a more dramatic look. This is a recent layout I did:

As you can see, the more items I stack on top of one another, the bigger the shadows become. The butterflies, as well, are shadowed in a way that look like they're flying off the page.

I have a more detailed tutorial at Scrapaneers. https://scrapaneers-society.mn.co/po...-right-2771494 The controls in Affinity correspond as follows to those in PS. "Radius" is "Distance," "Size" is "Offset," and "Intensity" is "Spread." If you play around those settings and follow the tutorial, you should be able to get the result you want. Let me know if you have other questions!

PS. for shadows that look different in places (like the title in my layout), the shadow may have been separated from its layer and modified individually. I'm sure there's a workaround in Affinity but I did that in PS.