Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny
Default NSBR: iPod Nano

I need the dish on the iPod Nano. My son wants an ipod for xmas that does not only music but video and the Nano is the cheapest one.

Is it any good? Are there a lot of problems with it? What do/don't you like about it? What is the video quality like? Approx how big is the screen?

Thanks!

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 11-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

have you thought about anything other than an apple? if so, zune's are amazing. i would not ever want an ipod after having my zune. they are cheaper, they have a bigger screen and they have a built in FM radio. oh also the preview for the album/song/video or whatever is huge! oh and more of my opinion. the sony walkman's rock too! maddie loves hers!

Last edited by lizzyfizzy; 11-18-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I would advise against an apple too. My daughter bought one for herself and hers was stolen. It would mess up my computer everytime she plugged it in. I plan on buying her a zune for christmas because they just seem to be much nicer IMO. I tried to talk her into getting one when she bought her IPOD but she wouldnt listen

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My DH has the last version of the Nano, and we love it. We've never watched video on it (I'd rather just pay the 0.99 for the song than 1.99 for the video, lol). I only have the Shuffle, which is also great, but sometimes I wish I could "browse" it for songs and I can't. I'm considering getting myself a Nano soon, though...
Old 11-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just to give a differing viewpoint, iPods are not the devil. We have them, I know so many other people that have them, and everyone I know loves theirs. I know tons of people who plug theirs into their PC every day with no troubles whatsoever. We gave a Nano years ago to my totally technopeasant MiL (pre-video generation of Nanos) and it still works great. She doesn't even have a computer, she has to plug it in when she's at work, and she's never had troubles.

I could fill a book with all the bad reviews I've read about Zunes, just like others could go out and find a ton of bad reviews about iPods if they wanted. I think you just have to look at them all and see which one you feel most comfortable with, but don't be afraid to get an iPod if that's what she really wants. They're fabulous.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

awww joan, you sure are passionate. btw, i personally didn't mean to imply ipods are the devil. i just think everyone gets one cause it's all the rave. my sisters ipod wishes it was a zune. so there you have it...the final verdict...LOL!!! i wanted an ipod cause everyone was getting them and then i fell in love with my zuney zune zune. did you know it has an amazing piece of art inscribed on the back. free of charge a la microsoft.

more of my opinion...cause you love it: becca and sarah have ipods (the big fat ones). they both LURVE theirs but think my zune is cooler. lol becca had a nano before her black fatty and she loved that one too. none of their ipods ever gave them trouble. ever.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

See, our iPods have never wished they were a Zune. They look at Zunes and think, "Aww, poor thing..."
Old 11-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan View Post
See, our iPods have never wished they were a Zune. They look at Zunes and think, "Aww, poor thing..."
ahahahahahaha!! i love you, joan.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL Joan!

Both my boys have the Nano but not the newest ones so they don't play video. Guess I'm not much help!

Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Just wanted to add that I advise against an IPOD just because of MY personal experience (yours could very well be quite different) I just did not like my daughters IPOD. My son has a Philips MP3 player and I found it very easy to use and it has held up really well although he is pretty easy on his stuff. If you wonder what the IPOD did to my computer it would be ok when she plugged it in but when she unplugged it my computer would just totally freeze/everything that was open would not work anymore and I would have to close out everything. She would plug it in alot when I was working on a layout and that was sorta aggravating if I did not save before she unplugged it. Not saying that other MP3 players would not do this also but I know my sons Philips doesnt and her prior MP3 player didnt. I would go to the store you plan on buying from and check them all out and see which one you really like before buying.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Was she properly ejecting the iPod, or just unplugging when she was done? You need to eject it like you would any drive, or you can screw things up.

I should clarify that I wasn't trying to jump on anyone. I just wanted to provide the counterpoint because the first couple of responses were negative to iPods.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wanted an IPOD but couldn't see spending the rediculous price for them. I ended up with a Sansa that also has video, photos, voice recorder, and an FM Radio. I use it everyday at work and havn't had any problems with it at all.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I totally agree with Joan. I love my ipod and have had NO problem with it at all. I have an 80GB classic, my son has an 8GB nano, and my daughter has a 4GB nano. For Christmas, my daughter is getting the 16GB nano (it comes in YELLOW... her favorite), and my son is getting an iTouch. So, as you can see, we are an ipod family. LOL!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You should be able to get the actual dimensions of the new Nano screens on the Apple website. They just changed the Nano lineup, so I am not sure about the new screen size. I have a 60GB classic iPod and the size of the screen is decent but I prefer to watch videos on my iPhone for the bigger screen. lol I haven't had any issues with my iPod or iPhone, luckily.

You could also probably score one of the older Nanos for a discount now that they changed up the Nanos. That is, if he doesn't already have his heart set on the brightly colored new ones.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my oldest has the newest Nano (the Chromatic) and he loves it. I find the battery doesn't last half as long as my Shuffle though. lol
He has the 4GB, has about 500 songs on it, plus one silly Sesame Street podcast on it, and is only using about 3 GB of the memory. I love being able to scroll through and see what's playing, which my Shuffle doesn't do. And being able to have the flip screen like the iTouch and the iPhone is pretty neat! The screen is really small for viewing videos and podcasts though, just a FYI.
One of his friends has an iTouch, and I soooo want it! So many more options than the Nano. lol

*edited to add* I also love that I can have numerous iPod devices plugged into my laptop at any given time, and I have never encountered issues, as long as ejecting the iPod before unplugging it. lol At the moment, I have my Shuffle charging, Cody's Nano charging and his friend's slim Shuffle updating and charging. lol

Last edited by tuneskids; 11-18-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneskids View Post
my oldest has the newest Nano (the Chromatic) and he loves it. I find the battery doesn't last half as long as my Shuffle though. lol
I wonder if that new shake & shuffle feature is a battery eater? I've wondered about that feature and the novelty aspect for kids anyway. We'll probably be getting my 9yo niece the 4GB for Christmas. She wants one soooo bad, so I guess we'll soon find out!

I have pretty great battery life on my 60GB Classic, and Craig has the previous generation Nano which also has great battery life.

The screens on the Nano aren't huge. I mean, for the size of the actual device, they're pretty amazing, but I wouldn't want to try and watch a movie on it lol. We just all chipped in on an iTouch for my nephew's 16th birthday and he's in heaven! I really want one, but I'm trying to hold out in hopes Telus will pull their heads outta their nether regions and make their technology compatible with the iPhone.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My daughter has a 4 GB Nano and we also have a video Ipod too. We have never had any problems with either of them. We are planning to get my step dad a nano too.

I think Nanos are great for kids if they are old enough to be responsible for it.

~~Siggie by Laura (emmasmommy)~~
Old 11-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan View Post
I really want one, but I'm trying to hold out in hopes Telus will pull their heads outta their nether regions and make their technology compatible with the iPhone.
I so get ya on this one ... I want one too! But not through Rogers, not where we live anyways. Telus works down here.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneskids View Post
I so get ya on this one ... I want one too! But not through Rogers, not where we live anyways. Telus works down here.
Yeah, I briefly contemplated a switch to Rogers, but when we were on our trip to Sask this summer, my Telus phone worked almost everywhere we went, no matter how remote, whereas my niece's Rogers phone lost its signal all the time.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I have an iPod, no idea what it is ROFL!!! It's not a Shuffle, so I guess its a Nano?

Anyway, I had one incident a few months ago where the thing locked up and I had to reset it. I still love mine though, and I totally LOVE iTunes. I was actually secretly hoping my iPod was dead so I could get a new PINK one for Christmas. LOL

ETA: I have a PC not a Mac.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmos75 View Post
I wanted an IPOD but couldn't see spending the rediculous price for them. I ended up with a Sansa that also has video, photos, voice recorder, and an FM Radio. I use it everyday at work and havn't had any problems with it at all.
WORD
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Sansa. I also have a rhapsody to go subscription so for $14.99 a month i can put anything in the world on that puppy! My whole family has the sansa and we love it!

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 11-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Another Ipod family. The boys have various ipods. They have learned that they dont wash well =}. They have learned that I may buy one but I will not by another-if lost or stolen!!! =}

My husband has an Iphone---I love it!!
We are looking at getting Itouchs for the older boys this Xmas.
[we just got our tax refund]
Old 11-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sari View Post
You could also probably score one of the older Nanos for a discount now that they changed up the Nanos. That is, if he doesn't already have his heart set on the brightly colored new ones.
Yes, you can. I was actually just on Amazon, and they have dramatically dropped in price...here.

I have the hot pink 8GB 3rd generation and love it! My DD has the classic 60GB. My older son has, I believe, a Nano, and my younger son has a Nano AND the touch.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ohh also wanted to add that we have looked at alot of MP3 players and nearly everyone we looked at had FM radio on it. There are alot with video too. And I can tell you that when we went to the store the guy who worked there advised against the IPOD unless you were into accessories. Otherwise he said one of the lesser expensive ones would be just as good as an IPOD. That is what he told my daughter who paid 250 dollars for her IPOD then paid another 30 or so for accessories. He and I both tried to talk her into a Zune or some other type of MP3 player. Her old one is a Sansa which still works great but had very little storage (512 megabytes I think). It was a graduation gift for middle school so it is almost 4 years old now.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

My oldest wants a new nano (pink please)

not sure about it yet..I have the old ipod video and I love it haha..and 2 of my kiddos have a shuffle but oldest wants video now...

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 11-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Ipod fandamily checking in.
Never had an issue and never considered any other form of MP3 player.
I recently upgraded to the new nano. I am concerned about the glass screen, but have found a tech cert. in replacing it with non-glass, so that's cool. This week they've released an update to the new nano's software allowing more control over the new features, which is cool.
So like I said, we are all pretty happy with it. And as previously mentioned make sure you eject it properly from the computer and you shouldn't have any issues with it that you wouldn't have with any other small electronic device you are toting around with you, kwim?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mandy

I have been begging for an iPod Touch for Christmas now for 2 months and DH finally relented (but I can't have it til the 25th). It's so freakin awesome but I'm starting to lean toward the Classic which for the same price will hold 120GB compared to the 8GB of the Touch.
What to do, what to do.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmos75 View Post
That's what I have too & I LOVE it! The only way I'll be getting rid of it is if someday I can afford an iPhone! lol, but until then, I love my little Sansa!!