Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default Blue Screen of Death

Ugh. So Jeff built me a killer new computer a month or two ago. Seriously, this thing is smokin'... when it's not crashing.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit (which I hate with a passion, but that's neither here nor there). At least once a day or every other day, I get the blue screen. When it happens, there's no rhyme or reason. It's not like I'm running the same program every time or anything. There are no common factors that I can find.

I've checked and double checked software and hardware to make sure it's all 64-bit compatible (it's amazing how much is NOT) and updated all drivers.

I've updated windows.

I run CCleaner religiously.

I did a disk check and defrag.

I can't think of anything else to try. Anyone have any suggestions? Jeff feels awful because we can't figure it out. His computer also runs Win7 64-bit, and we don't have any problems at all. So obviously, I have something on mine that he doesn't. I just can't figure out what it could be.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I know NOTHING about computers, but I have Windows 7 64-bit and have never had any problems until I ran the latest update on Monday, which was some Service Pack 1?? Now I am having ALL kinds of problems. My computer is SUPER slow, I can't get Firefox to work AT ALL, which makes no sense to me. And It's been crashing left and right. I'm about convinced it was some bogus update and I really just DL'd a big virus or something?? I actually just logged on with IE, which I can't stand. I use Firefox exclusively but haven't been able to use it for 2 days. I wonder if you got that same update?? I don't know. Seriously, I'm clueless about computers. But I wanted to tell you that I didn't have any problems until I ran that last Windows update.

Oh, and I tried to do a system restore earlier today and it won't let me. It keeps saying that the system restore failed. UGH!! I'm going to have my IT guy come out on Friday and work on it. I'm mostly upset about not being able to use Firefox - all of my bookmarks and stuff are on there and I feel like a total idiot trying to navigate IE.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

To clarify, I haven't got any Blue Screens, which is good, because I wouldn't know what to do if I got one!! But my computer just keeps freezing up and everything will stop responding and I'll have to restart to get anything to work again. That's happened about 5 times since I ran the update on Monday. So annoying. Never happened once before that update.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

you too (in conjunction with melly's post) what antivirus software are you running? when i got my lappy i installed everything happy happy. and boom brand new, bsod and ps/ai werent functional uninstalled antivirus crap..happy lappy.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I use AVG antivirus, but it's the same AV that Jeff uses on his and the one I've used for years on my other computers. Weird.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You are all making me nervous!! I have Win7 64bit too... I'm backing up my files now!!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I had trouble with AVG on my last computer. My IT guy said not to use it. I have no idea why. He uninstalled it and things started working better. But he didn't explain it. He's a good friend of ours. We don't usually ask questions, we just call him when we're having any problems and he fixes them. My new computer I have the McAffee that came on it and I just went ahead and paid to renew the subscription.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I run a Windows 7 in a 32-bit system w/ Service pack 1 installed. And had the BSOD in this machine a few times. What worked for me was:
  • Open up the command window. (You'll be initiating Microsoft's System File Checker)
  • Then type in: sfc /scannow
  • press enter
  • It will find all the currupt system files & replace them with healthy ones. Even if some can't be fixed (like in my case) it should find/replace all the fatal ones.
  • That's all. Never had the BSOD again.
I know about this software named NirSoft BlueScreenView. It scans all files created during 'blue screen of death' crashes and displays the information about those crashes like the driver that possibly caused the crash, filename, etc. I guess this is a start to help you to figure out what's going on.

Is your error message like this one?
"STOP: 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"??
If so, there's a hotfix in the Microsoft website to solve this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/979444

HTH
xoxo

Last edited by Giseli Freitas; 09-07-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had problems for the past 10 days or so with the BSOD. It was an IRLQ message about something equal or less than equal, blah, blah blah. I did the same things - updated drivers, ran checks and restores, etc. (I also run AVG). I finally decided to try pulling my wireless and hooking up with ethernet and bingo, no BSOD for 2 straight days (and it was getting to the point where it was happening 5-6 times a day). Oh, I also have windows 7, 64-bit and haven't had any issues up until now...
Old 09-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My nephew told me to use Microsoft Security Essentials for my antivirus software, and since I switched over I haven't had any issues. He's a student at Carroll and works in their IT dept and does all kinds of work on all their school computers so I could ask him if he knows of anything else you could try.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I just talked to my IT guy and he suggested I start with uninstalling that Service Pack 1, just since that's exactly when my problems started and things were working fine for me until then. So I'm going to do that now. I'll come back and let you know if that fixes anything for me. One thing that is a definite problem for me is the lack of being able to use Firefox for whatever reason...I don't know what that would have to do with a Windows Service Pack, but who knows??

Old 09-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband is an IT computer geek type of guy and says that Microsoft Security Essentials gives you everything you need and because it's part of the Windows package, Microsoft keeps it in sync with their product. (He runs all of his stuff on Linux but keeps our Mac and PC up and running too.)
Old 09-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

my computer geek hubby says this:

I would try checking the RAM
if it has, say, 4 sticks of RAM, power off and remove 1, run without it, Observe. If nothing changes, put it back, repeat until all 4 have been pulled at some point to see if one is bad.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post

if it has, say, 4 sticks of RAM, power off and remove 1, run without it, Observe. If nothing changes, put it back, repeat until all 4 have been pulled at some point to see if one is bad.
What he said...we had that issue years ago, I was ticked at the tech guy for making us try out the memory, but sure enough - that was what it was! a bad memory stick.

I have Win 7 64-bit and LOVE it. No issues at all, I run LR, CS5, firefox, I even run citrix to remote in to my work stuff and my computer never crashes.

I hope you get it figured out Libby sorry about your troubles.

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

MIchael says to open her up and make sure everything is seated securely.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Was that in English!?!?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Just thought I'd let you know that I uninstalled that Windows 7 Service Pack 1 that had updated just before all of my problems began and everything is back to working perfectly for me. I have no idea if that's at all related to anyone else's problems, but it seems to have fixed mine. It took FOREVER, but so far my computer is back up to speed. I did have to uninstall Firefox and reinstall it to get it to work correctly and was flipping out that I'd lose all my bookmarks, but they were magically all there when I reinstalled. YAY!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

But seriously, I have NO IDEA what Darcy just said. Or Beckie for that matter!! LOL. My brain hurts just from reading those 2 posts...and I didn't even TRY to understand them!! ha!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe you've got some hardware problem? My DH ran into some quirky things with his computer bios which couldn't handle the size of the hard drive. When it tried to write on the second half of the drive it couldn't do the addressing so it would overwrite the boot sector. Maybe it's something super quirky like that.

DH also says it could be a piece of bad memory. So it would only crash when it tried to write to the particular chip. You would have to run some type of memory diagnostic (found somewhere on control panel).
Old 09-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

^
This is what I recommend too.
My last computer did this, turned out to be faulty RAM.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Smile

OH NO! Not the NEW computer!!!! That's awful! I'm so sorry! I hope it gets better soon!

I've become Windows dumb over the last 4 years since we switched to Macs.

If all else fails, maybe go Mac... once you go Mac, you never go back...

just sayin'

(I lurve my Mac!!!!)

Public Relations for www.digitalscrapper.com
(Photoshop & PSE digital scrapbook training)