Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default kitchen design question

So we are moving into an old home and are finding little surprises as we paint and clean it up. Our kitchen is pretty big and is almost all cabinets/counters. They are white and will stay white. The few walls are more in the breakfast/nook area that leads to the boy's room. That is where my problem is. Sigh.

I started stripping the wallpaper down and discovered the entire wall was paneling. I knew the bottom was since it was the wainscoting look. So we have a few options and only one is simple. We can strip the rest of the paper, clean the old joint compound out of the grooves, sand and repaper. Do all of the above but tape and float the grooves and put up sheetrock. Both of those are iffy since the house is raised and will shift. That would lead to cracks in the joint compound, etc. We could strip all the wallpaper and joint compound and gunk off the original wood (the real stuff) paneling and paint but that is a massive sanding job.

Our other option is to put up beadboard panels over all of it. I would love this but I don't know if I have ever seen a whole 8 ft wall covered with painted beadboard.

Here is a very rough sketch of the kitchen. As you can see there is very little wall that would have the paneling. There is only one short wall that is not broken up by a door or window. The color is a faded blue/green. What do you think? Beadboard the entire wall?

And I have 51 knobs to replace just in the kitchen. YIKES! I need to find some wholesale or something.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I freaking <3 beadboard and think a whole wall would look awesome!!

DO you mean like this??
Old 04-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I'm not farmiliar with beadboard but I was googling and found this blog wiht a whole wall of it!! I think it looks awesome!!!

http://theprimitivecountrybug.blogsp...entry-way.html

Love this little space they left at the top!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's like a foreign language to this Brit girl but those photographs are of what we call tongue and groove and I *adore* tongue and groove cladding on walls - I want this in my new house (if I ever find one I can afford/like)
Old 04-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Do it! I <3 beadboard too and I don't think you can go wrong with it in old houses. It covers a multitude of sins and looks fresh and clean.

As for knobs, I found awesome ones at Hobby Lobby when I was redoing my girls' room. They were 50% off and it made them CHEAP! It would be worth looking into!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks! Love the pics!

I found beadboard panels which is what we are thinking about using. Of course I would love the tongue and groove planks but they are expensive! My main concern is how the panels will look butted up to one another.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We used the panels in our girls' room under the chair rail. They're made so that one side has the lines and the other starts with the solid strip (that doesn't make sense but maybe you get it lol) so as long as you have them facing the right direction they should butt up together just fine. We have an old house with horribly uneven walls and didn't have any problem when putting ours up.

And will you peek in at the AHD forum? I am a dork.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

what do the knobs look like?? could you spray paint them?? they make metal spray paints that are pretty awesome.

The Wheelchair Mommy Tweet*Tweet

William-2004, Lucas-2008 & Nathan-Summer 2011
Old 04-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
what do the knobs look like?? could you spray paint them?? they make metal spray paints that are pretty awesome.
Good idea! They might be a white plastic but they are a bit larger than I want. I might spray paint just to try it. Much cheaper! I would love to buy glass knobs because all the doors in the house have the original glass door knobs.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

The panels will look fine. Most beadboard you find around the web now-a-days is the paneling, not true tongue and groove.

If you didn't want to do the WHOLE wall, you could put a chair rail in and do beadboard on the bottom, and then put flat panels (like thin MDF or plywood or whatever) on top of the chair rail.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love bead board too. They also have beadboard wallpaper, but that might be more work for your situation! You could also do a board and batten thing which looks great to me too!

And if the spray painting doesn't work, definitely try ebay. We just put knobs on our cabinets and it was at least half as much what we found in stores!
Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I thought about that Colleen but I really don't want to rip out the crown molding and mdf or plywood would stick out too much and I would still have to texture it. The panels are real thin and I don't know if we can match the thickness.

Wallpaper is out since we would have to mess with the existing joints. The wallpaper that is there now is all funky due to the shifting walls. (and the house was recently leveled)

I have tried talking to my husband about this since he is a project manager for a construction company and knows all about construction. But he is a man and has no design sense. He thinks blue is blue and that there is only one white. I finally told him to just give me the money and I will go buy the paint.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Totally go for the beadboard . . . if it would look right in my house, I would have done that in a heartbeat! It is going to be sooooo awesome!!

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 04-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had a very similar situation when we renovated. A 100+ year-old house that isn't on a foundation so it shifts with temperature changes, especially in the spring. I used the beadboard paneling and it looks GREAT! Better yet, it went up great and without much fuss.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ikea has some super cheap knobs. I think beadboard would look awesome especially in an older home.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ok y'all convinced me! I will be sure to post pictures as we go along. I can't wait to show the before and afters of the front bedrooms. They went from high gloss pink/white/purple to a soft blue gray with white trim in the "office" and the master bedroom went from a high gloss red and tan wall with navy blue trim (no kidding!) to a light grayish tan.

I am sure I will be back for more suggestions when I start on the boy's room. It is entirely wood paneling and shutters (which we can't paint until we buy it next year) but has the funkiest bathroom/shower combination. It needs major help.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Look for your new hardware on ebay. We are in the middle of a remodel and I needed 56 pulls for my kitchen...I found exactly what I wanted and it was less than 100.00 with free shipping. I saved over 300.00 by finding the items in lots on ebay over buying them at home depot or through my contractor.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ooooh amanda - i can't wait to see pics!! i LOVE before/afters and my dream is to one day renovate an older home! have fun! (i'm sure it is a complete PITA - LOL - but so worth it!)

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

You can buy luan (the thin thin sheets of paneling) to put on top of the bead board if you don't want to have the bead board up the entire wall, and just do a strip of it high up with a shelf moulding on it that would look fabulous for that house. But I think a whole accent wall of bead board would be awesome!

About those glass knobs...start hitting up consignment stores, thrift stores and reclaimed lumber/hardware stores. I've seen them all over the place. I have a whole collection from my aunt's old Arts & Crafts house that I'm dying to put on all of our cabinets here, but Russ hates the look. But I keep them in hopes that he will come around. I've seen them in old junk shops a lot, though, and for really cheap!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I really should be packing but instead I stole my husband's laptop to get an internet fix.

We did it! We put up beadboard panels in the kitchen to cover the original paneling. It was not easy but we did it. We still need to do major touch up but are waiting until after we move in.

Here are the before and afters of the whole house:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2&l=e21b5f91c7
Old 05-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

need to know what color that is
love the msl paints you chose!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Celeste* View Post
need to know what color that is
love the msl paints you chose!
Thank you!

They are all Martha Stewart Living from Home Depot that I color matched at Sherwin Williams. I only did that because I got a huge discount at SW.

all trim, cabinets, drawers and doors: MSL Tailor's Chalk
kitchen: MSL Rainwater
living room: MSL Gull
hallway: MSL Sandpiper
master bedroom: MSL Sandpiper
front bedroom/office: MSL Nimbus Cloud
hallway bathroom: MSL Bakery Box
boy's bathroom: MSL Salt Water
laundry room (I didn't get a pic): MSL Bay Leaf but lightened 15%
Old 05-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

it looks AWESOME amanda!! wow! love the colors too! just a gorgeous house!

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 05-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

That looks amazing! What a difference you guys have made =)

Stephanie
Old 05-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

Looks amazing! I love looking at before and after pics...thanks so much for sharing!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

Looking awesome. Well at my home mine kitchen is open without any door and dinning table is in front of the kitchen.