Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Thumbs up Holiday Decorating

So what are your colors and theme?

And what is your tree topper?

Do you decorate anything else besides a tree(s)?
Old 11-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is my tree last year. I'm adding red this year because I found some ornaments with all my old colors & red on them and loved how the red looked added in. I just have a star on top. Not very fancy because I'm poor and most my ornaments came from the Dollar Tree. lol

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I do white lights with red, gold, and silver ornaments + sentimental ones and we have a star topper that lights up. I put garland and lights on the railing on the stairs, and I decorate the faux mantel in the living room (it's a window in the wall between the kitchen and dining room). We hang a wreath in each window, and a big one on the front door. Jordan does the lights outside and we snatched up a bunch of garland for cheap last year to add to the exterior decor. I have an old Santa House that my Grandmother made for me when I was little, and that gets put out each year on one of the side tables. I love to do up the side tables, coffee table, and buffet in the dining room too. Decorating for Christmas is my absolute FAVE. I can't wait to get the stuff down this weekend (and find it ironic that I'm putting out last minute fall stuff for Thanksgiving, just to put it all away come the weekend, lol).
Old 11-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to suze

Mine is the same every year. White lights, blue white, and silver decorations. Its the same theme since our first tree 7 yrs ago.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We do red and silver on our tree. With snowflakes and bows. This year, we're adding musical type ornaments I found online and have been making. I'm hoping to find some good music instruments or notes for cheap.

This year, we have shelves in our kitchen and I finally started decorating our mantel. I never have before because it's in the back of the house and no one ever sees it! But I changed it for fall and had so much fun I want to change it again!! So we'll have Christmas all through the house. The girls have a little tabletop tree in their room and I already made a centerpiece for the table! I also kind of collect advent calendars, so those are all around.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a 1 foot tall purple foil tree. I bought silver Jingle Bells, white lights, and a Sparkly Silver Tree Topper.

Now, I'm going to order Cupcake ornaments from Urban Outfitters to finish it off. I'll have to take pictures when I'm done.

My family's tree has 0 colour scheme-- whatever's in the box, is on the tree. To some degree I love it because it shows off all of our great stuff, but I'm a Christmas nerd, so what I want eventually is to have a small tree for my kid's school ornaments and crafty things, that is displayed where EVERYONE can see it, and then a large tree that is decorated with a certain colour scheme or theme (all vintage ornaments, or something like that).

When I was in my first two years of university, I had a black Christmas tree, about 1 foot tall, and we changed the decorations to match the season each month... We usually used coloured bulbs for each month, but during finals season we decorated it in Taco Bell sauces (since we were ALWAYS at Taco Bell during finals studying!) and at Halloween it was always decorated in whatever candy we had lying around!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 11-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well, I am gonna look really, really sad here. I have 1 tree that is Americana themed, 1 that is all red and white ornaments, 1 I call my funky tree with blue, purple, pink and green ornaments and bows, 1 four foot tree with kitchen decorations that goes, well in my kitchen and my main tree is a mish mash of ornaments and no real theme. I have smaller trees with various colors and themes but I am afraid of getting carpel tunnel typing it all out. LOL!!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm gonna chime in while you're fresh from reading Melissa's cause I have the same "sickness"
I have one "family" tree that is a mish mash of ornaments, but the ribbons and trim are red/white/green, pepperminty stuff. Then I have one that is all pink and off white, victoriana sorta, and then I have a white pencil tree that is all red/green and snowmen and then I hve another pink and green victioriana one and a green metallic one with snowmen in the kitchen and one I just don't know what to do with! I decorate everything that's not nailed down......okay and most things that are. I've been slow this year after being seeing but got started the other day...this was a super fast pic so the pic itself is not good but it gives you an idea.

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 11-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here's my tree last year. My colors are dark red and gold. I don't really decorate anything else except our mantle which needs a bit more bulk to it.

Here's the tree we had downstairs last year, decorated in bright red and silver. We don't have the room for 2 trees this year due to some new furniture so this one isn't going up

Old 11-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm making a change this year... it used to be white lights with navy blue and silver trimmings but last year I took advantage of the after Christmas sales and bought shatter resistant ornaments... good thing now that we're going to have 2 little boys, lol... anyways, the ornaments are gold and I got a gold star and then I picked up some sheepskin rugs from IKEA for the skirt... and I don't have time this year but next year (our family room with the fireplace is under constructions so they wouldn't use used anyways) I'll be making some stockings. I'm also thinking about having a fun tree in the living room next year and then the fancy tree in the family room with the fireplace.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

So what are your colors and theme? We don't have a color and I guess our theme is "homemade", since 99% of the ornaments on our tree are ones the kids and I have made or ones the kids have made through out the years in preschool/school

And what is your tree topper? It's just a white angel (from like Dollar General when times were leaner )...we have been meaning to change it for like the last 5 years but we just haven't found a new one we like!!!!

Do you decorate anything else besides a tree(s)? Yep everyone has a tree for their room, the kid decorate their downstairs playroom with lights and garland. I have tons and tons of nick naks that go on tables and shelves and bookcases. I drag out my Christmas dishes and towels and pot holders and ect ect ect........

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We try to be super traditional, real tree, red, green white lights - most of our ornaments are ones given by family or super sentimental, like the olive tree ones from Israel.
On top of our tree is an angel from Germany and everyone in my family has a theme.
I do snowman, so there are snowman all over the house - and we have decorations from all over the world.

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Old 11-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow, really?! I'm so surprised that so many people have "theme" trees. We have the "traditional" mish-mash tree of every ornament that has ever caught our eye, the kids have made or people have given us! We love it because they all mean something to us for one reason or another.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It really depends on the year.
I try to do some color theme with round bulbs, but we do a mish-mash of other onrmanets to fill in. Some times we have white lights, sometimes colored.

Here is our last years tree:

This year we'll be doing something with shatterproof balls, but I can't remember which colors we've got. Maybe a green/gold/tractor theme, or blue/silver, or red/gold or silver ...

ETA: I forgot about the rest, it's just been one of those days.

Here's what else we do: Small decor around the inside of the house. Hang stockings on the wall since we have no mantel. Decorate the top of the entertainment center with some graduating sized candle sticks. We hang lights in some parts of the house & in the kids' bedroom.

The outside of our house, usually looks like I live with Clark Griswold.

Last edited by MandaT; 11-23-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our main tree is a mish mash as well, the kids get Hallmark ornaments each year and then all the ones they make or we acquire from trips. Then the kids have trees in their rooms, and there is one in the front of the house that is tealish/silver and someday will be all hand made ornaments. This year I'd like one in my new craft room in all pinks & brown. My husband decorates every square inch of the house!

Old 11-23-2010, 06:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Our tree used to be very country with big red gingham ribbon bows scattered around, "rusty" metal ornaments, lots and lots of snowman (I love those smore ones), wooden candy canes, wooden candles to look like the old fashion ones that use to grace Christmas Trees... it has been that same style for 10 years.

Last year I decided to change it up... now it's dark purple, dr copper brown, and platinum silver. Birds, large "diamond" jewels, sparkley snowflakes... I love it!

Our tree top is a star that I FINALLY found that I liked at Target... before that it was just a ribbon bow that I made with streamers coming down from it.

We also decorate the fireplace mantel... where my Willow Tree nativity sits... I have a small tree in the kitchen with cupcakes and mixer themed ornaments. Then I also have a white tree in the bathroom that has really bold hot pink, bright green and blue, and purple ornaments... and that is where my smore snowmen hang out now.

I want to add a small tree in our bedroom and one to kiddo's room... those won't be anything special. But I always had at tree in my room growing up and it had Snoopy wood ornaments that my mom painted in 1976.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Unfortunately I have put myself into a situation where I dread decorating the main tree. I have hundreds of Hallmark ornaments, every single one in a box. Ugh.

I don't have a theme or colors, it's a mish-mash of those Hallmark ornaments, ones from both my husband's and my childhood, ones the boys have made, and anything else I picked up along the way. We do a 10 foot tree in the living room and a 7 foot tree in the family room. The boys do a winter scene with stuffed animals (like penguins, white seals, polar bears, etc) under the 7 foot tree on a white skirt, and then my tree skirt for the main tree is one my mom made that is red with white poinsettieas and in the center of them are white lights.

I use dark red fabric for swags on the bannister and I have a collection of nativity sets - sometimes I put out all of them and sometimes I'm lazy and just put out the one big one. I have a bunch of the light-up houses but I'm usually too lazy to put those up.

Over the fireplace we have a large wreath with my MIL's white doves in it, candles on the mantel with old-fashioned Santas, and wooden snowmen and reindeer that my brother made.

And of course, outside we do white lights on the house and then we have varying things to put in the yard.

Oh, and lighted stars on both trees. I must have stars.

Last edited by maryinaz; 11-23-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This year we are getting a real tree- we have had artificial since we got married and we threw it away last year. I collect Santa, Reindeer, and snowman ornaments and I also love multi-colored lights.

This is my tree from 2 years ago
Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Red, white, gold, and silver for our tree. Everything is in those colors. I don't decorate much of the house because well...it's not a lot of available space, lol.