Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-02-2022, 12:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Buying new towels...

If you were to replace all the bath towles, wash clothes and hand towels in your house, would you do them all in one color? Or would you do them to match your different bathrooms? Or maybe match a guest room too?

Most of my towels are older and don't get used, so I have decided to replace them with the brand that I prefer. Now, I am trying to decide on the best way to do it. I am leaning towards the matching the bathrooms and the guest rooms, but wondering if all the same would be better since these are the towels that are in the linen closet for use, not "hanging for show." Seems it might be more harmonious in the cupboard. LOL

Do you have towels in your bathroom that are just for show. We always had them growing up and I am still doing it. LOL
Old 12-02-2022, 01:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have bought towels for hubby and I in our bathroom. Kids are still using older ones...some have graduated to a rag bin in the garage. The kids linen closet is a mish mash of whatever. Ours are all gray. If I were to replace the kids I would go with gray as well, but that is the color scheme in most of the house. The only bathroom with "fancy" towels is our half bath. I have a Christmas towel in there...but normally it is just whatever the kids grabbed after cleaning it.
My mother in law has a million different colors in the closets at her house. Our bathroom has a ton of towels in the closet in all colors. JC Penny used to run a deal on their towels years ago so she would grab whatever color was available at the time. Now she also has decorative towels in the "guest" bathroom some of the time. Once we get there it is usually taken down so we can hang our wet towels and such
Old 12-02-2022, 02:19 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I only have 1 bathroom. When I replaced my old towels (that are now in the rag bin), I got 4 sets (large bath towel, hand towel, wash cloth) in 2 different colors that coordinate with the paint and curtains in the bathroom.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We only have one bathroom, unfortunately. Last year when I bought a new shower curtain and carpets for the floor because the old ones were falling apart, we also bought some new towels in a pretty aqua color (because it's my favorite color and the little things make me happy!)& tan to match the shower curtain. We still have quite a few old ones that are blue that need replacing too. I prefer to have the towels match the room, so I would buy ones that match each room if I were you.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:16 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We match the bathroom and the guest ones match the guest room.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:58 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I buy bath sheets from Costco for my hubby & I. Color isn't super important other than it just not be dark or a color that bleeds. I like to wash all my towels together and when one is dark and the other light, I end up doing more loads. The kids basically have the hand me down towels. I used to match to the bathroom, but I just don't care much anymore other than in my guest bathroom downstairs - they are tan.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:39 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

We've only got the one bathroom, and I'll be honest, ours just sort of are whatever they are, whether or not they match. I'm hoping to grab some that match the shower curtain soon, but I cannot believe how expensive towels can be! It's wild! I'm team matchy-match in the bathrooms, though, mostly because that's what I'll be going for when I get the chance Either way, I'm sure it'll look amazing.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I refuse to fuss with decorative towels! The only ones we have are the ones we use every day. The bathroom on the main level is a neutral color, so we have a variety of towel colors since we only keep 1 out at a time. I change it several times a day because it gets so much use, so having different colors helps me remember when I last put a new one out. In the upstairs bathrooms each of us has a few towel colors and patterns we use, so I guess we color code by person. If we had guest bathrooms that didn't get used much I'd pick towels that matched the bathroom.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:52 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I went totally matchy matchy, which is not surprising. Navy for my bathroom, gray for the main bath and yellow for the other guest room.

The second guest room is still a work in progress for me because I haven't found bedding that I love. What is there now I got because it would do for the time being, but I am not married to it, so I am not going to spend money to match towels to it.
Old 12-05-2022, 01:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love costco for towels too. Lately I've been buying just white. It seems that my daughter's face cream and whatever our hockey billet boys use bleaches them out- so I have some really funky looking towels right now! We have a couple for our bathroom that are a light teal color- just because that matches the paint, but if I was buying new- I'd just buy white still- they always look nice & bright & clean.

We are NOT a "just for show" house in any capacity, let alone towels! I do have some holiday hand towels that I put out in the main floor bathroom & kitchen, but we use them multiple times/day.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have two bathrooms and have separate colors so I can quickly identify which bathroom they go to... but for that bathroom, they have to match.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have specific hand towels and washcloths for each bathroom. I like those to coordinate with the bathroom they are used in. When my kids were younger they had their own towels in a specific color so they wouldn't mix them up but now that they're older we just use the same white or gray bath towels (which match both bathrooms). I have 3 sets of 4. My faves are the HUGE bath "sheets" from IKEA with loops to hang them.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We only have 1 bathroom for all 6 of us, so nothing is for "show"! Our towels are a mix of ones we have collected or been gifted over the years. I wanted certain colors when we got married (and we registered for those colors), but we both had some from college, and were gifted others so we just do an anything goes type thing! When we know we're going to have company, we try to put out the nicer ones in the main color I wanted. So, I am no help to you! Do what makes you happy!
Old 12-06-2022, 10:33 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Truthfully, I inherited a lot of towels from my Mom's house when she moved in with me. Some of them were ancient, but still serviceable, so I just kept them and added new ones when one of the old ones gave up the ghost.

I didn't really think about how old they were until my aunt was visiting and mentioned she remembered a certain towel from when she lived with us when I was in third grade. I'm 56 now, so you do the math on how old the towel was. Time for all new ones. LOL
Old 12-06-2022, 07:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I bought all new towels when we moved. I got specific ones for my daughters bathroom (gorgeous white & grey), our main/boy bathroom (charcoal jaquard), our ensuite (black bathsheets) & public powderroom (pale grey. Makes it easy when putting towels away, knowing whose room has which towels etc... But I ended up stealing the towels I bought for my boys/main bathroom & got them new ones (blue)... I got bath sheets for us, but being short, I hate them. So I liked my boys towels & use those instead.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We all have a certain color for each of us. Just because it makes it easier.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:28 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have two bathrooms. I buy to match the shower curtain in my son's bathroom, which is the guest bathroom. I have bought towels for show, and he puts them out when we have guests. For the master bath, I've matched with the colors of the wallpaper - yes, I STILL have wallpaper! I really do like it because it's not bold. Right now I have 4 different colors: grey, light maroon, light blue, and cream - all the colors in the wallpaper. I like to keep up with which towels were last used so that they get equal use (if that makes sense), but if I had to have only one color, I'd choose cream.

New towels are fun! What is your favorite brand?