Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to Kim
Default help with nail biting

my 2 year old has started this horrid habit and makes his nails bleed from biting them. Any suggestions? I dont really want to buy a chemical to put on them... but dont know what to do. I constantly take them out of his mouth. Grosses me out.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Got any air in a can? I clean my keyboard with it and it is soooooo bitter that even I keep my hands out of my mouth. I have bit my nails as long as I can remember.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I would suggest cutting his nails like every other day or so so there isnt anything for him to bite? Maybe try some natural essences/oils like cinnamon or peppermint or something he wouldnt enjoy tasting but wouldnt be chemically

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As a nail biter myself, my only piece of advice would be not to hound him about it.
I have chewed my nails since I learned how to get my hand to my mouth. It's an awful habit and I hate it. The only thing (ONLY) that stops me from biting my nails is to have LCN nails put on...not even the chemical helped me.

My 5yo. DD has started biting her nails and it drives me nuts! But how can I stop her when I'm a biter too?

I just remember my mother constantly barking at me to get my fingers out of my mouth and I will never forget it. I don't want my kids to have that memory of me. LOL
Old 03-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboutique View Post
As a nail biter myself, my only piece of advice would be not to hound him about it.
I have chewed my nails since I learned how to get my hand to my mouth. It's an awful habit and I hate it. The only thing (ONLY) that stops me from biting my nails is to have LCN nails put on...not even the chemical helped me.

My 5yo. DD has started biting her nails and it drives me nuts! But how can I stop her when I'm a biter too?

I just remember my mother constantly barking at me to get my fingers out of my mouth and I will never forget it. I don't want my kids to have that memory of me. LOL
I read up on in a little bit and read the same thing about hounding... especially since every other word out of my mouth has been no since he has turned 2.

I might try the peppermint oil if he keeps making them bleed.

"They" said that chewing to the point of bleeding is a sign of stress, but he is so not stressed nor in a stressful environment. I think he just does it subconsciously.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

oh and thanks ladies!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
"They" said that chewing to the point of bleeding is a sign of stress, but he is so not stressed nor in a stressful environment. I think he just does it subconsciously.
I find myself biting my nails when I'm "thinking" about important stuff - but not necessarily stressful. Could be boredom too?
And I'm a "picker"...I'll pick at one side and then it becomes uneven, so then I'll pick at the other side...so on and so forth...
Old 03-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

oh the stress thing reminds me...

My son is a teeth grinder (always has been) I took him to dthe dr (he was 4 at the time) and the ped told me it was b/c of stress..I'm like he's 4..really what does he stress about? Amazing though what runs thru kid's minds....

I used to bite my nails..I outgrew it though lol...my mom put hot sauce on mine..yuck!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 03-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Maybe try a matte clear polish? OPI makes a matte one called "Nail Envy" (for guys who get manis but do not want shiny nails.

Personally, I bit my nails for years and years... and only stopped when I was like 18 and could afford to keep them up and painted.

At least polish may be a deterrant? Maybe temproary tatoo on his hand as a gentle, yet visible reminder?

And/or maybe try and use positive reinforcement... a reward chard (Bree has a template in the Shoppe called "3 Cheers") has worked wonders for us in the past - potty learning, big boy bed, etc.

Good luck!!

Last edited by mommabear0408; 03-27-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

My son did this when he was about that age, and I bugged him, it didn't help. He gave up on his own within a year.

My middle DD never bit hers, thankfully!

My youngest was a horrid biter for a year or so, she had her nails down to basically nothing, bleeding. But lately, she has stopped for the most part.

I am a nail biter, but if I catch myself I can stop it. It's absentminded chewing while reading or watching tv that I have a problem with.

Perhaps if you just wait a bit, he'll stop on his own? My two did. good luck!