Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Mac EHD

I'm trying to get an EHD for my Mac. I was looking at the Seagate Go ones and I guess they now have a separate Mac version. It's more expensive so does anyone know if I can just use the PC version and format it for my Mac instead? I think it would work but has anyone done it?
Old 07-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never bought a special Mac version of an EHD. Both LaCie and WD EHDs have worked perfectly fine on my Macs. They were plug & play with no fuss whatsoever. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like they're just playing on the Mac community trying to gouge extra dollars. I'd look into other brands.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan View Post
I've never bought a special Mac version of an EHD. Both LaCie and WD EHDs have worked perfectly fine on my Macs. They were plug & play with no fuss whatsoever. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like they're just playing on the Mac community trying to gouge extra dollars. I'd look into other brands.
I agree. It doesn't need to be Mac-specific at all. The only thing I can think of that would HAVE to be platform-specific is any special software that comes with it (like for automatic backups) - but even that normally comes for both Win and Mac in the same box.

I love my Western Digital 500 gig - it's been very reliable, no probs at all. I've always purchased WD brand, but hear good things about SeaGate too. The only thing that is a must for me is that it is FireWire and USB 2.0 - I use Fire Wire for the faster speeds.

Anyway, I agree that your EHD doesn't need to be "Mac specific."
Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well I went ahead and bought it anyway. If it doesn't work, I can just return it and go to something else. But I found an employee that seemed to know what he was talking about and he said it would absolutely work.

I totally agree that it's crap that they're charging more for the same thing. The only difference is the Mac ones come pre-formated for a Mac and include some sort of Mac software on it. I don't care to pay an extra $50 for some "software" that I won't even use. (Oh and both Western Digital and Seagate have their own Mac versions so I'm not sure what other brand you'd go with to avoid them.) It just bugs me that there will be some people who will see the Mac part and assume they have to shell out the extra cash.

Last edited by Nettio; 07-12-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have had my Seagate since I was on a PC. When we got this new Mac two years ago, I used it on here and all I had to do was set it up to accept and read Mac files. No problem.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have 2 Passports that I currently use on both my PCs and my Mac with no problems. 1 Mac desktop, 1 PC XP format and 1 PC laptop, Vista format)

The only issue I have run into is when I had my Mac laptop HD data saved(water spill on my Mac, shot motherboard). The data is saved as my iPhoto data(original and edited). My Mac senses the info as a separate iPhoto Gallery. When I open iPhoto, I either have that gallery or my new gallery. I had to save them separately and then inport the old photos into my new iPhoto gallery as new photos.