Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-02-2022, 11:07 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Spin Off - Grandparent Names

What are/were your grandparent names?

My husband's mom is Dranny, my stepmom is Grandma #1 (she has an identical twin who we call Grandma #2), my mom was Chewy Grandma because she had a dog named Chewy, my middle son's grandparents are Nonna Red and Old Dude, and my oldest son's grandparents are Grandpa and 'Not the Grandma' (she treats my other kids as grandchildren too )

Old 02-02-2022, 11:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to name my grandparents because they passed before I was born. However I'm now a grandmother and my grandchildren call me Babcia which is Polish for grandma.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:24 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I will never be a grandmother (no children) but my grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa "last name". No special name ever.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:29 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

We decided for my son to make my parents Granny & Grandpa and my husband's parents Grandad and Grandma... then when we talk about them he can know who we mean.
When he started to talk he couldn't say Grandpa so called my Dad Papa and it stuck... so now that is his name when we refer to him.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:49 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I struggled to find my special grandmother name, but in the end I went with Grandma. That's what my kids call my mother, and she's got the best relationship with them and that's what is special to us. I wanted something unique but I ended up going with what felt right. Unfortunately the "other" grandmother also wanted to be Grandma, so it is what it is. As long as I'm not referred to as Grandma Nat... I hate that.

Hubby is referred to as Grumpa and the other side is called Grandpa, although at under two, Olivia calls both Bumpa. I have a feeling that one is going to stick, as I've found myself referring to Rich as Bumpa now when I talk to Olivia. (So far she's been calling me Mama... as opposed to a clear Mommy for her mother.)

My mom (Grandma to my kids) is called GiGi to Olivia, for Great Grandma.

Last edited by Ponytails; 02-02-2022 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:10 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Both of my grandparents were Grandma & Grandpa. My husband's grandmother was called Frannie - her first name. My children call/called their grandparents Mimi & Boppa (Mimi was chosen by herself, Boppa was named by the oldest grandchild) and Memaw and Grandpa.

My oldest kiddo turns 21 this year and I've had my grandmother name picked since he was a baby lol. I'll be called Oma (oh-mah) which is the German word for Grandma.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My grands parents's name was Papy and Mamy in french with their first name following and my kids called them (for my mom's parents) Grand Papy and Grand Mamy. We only have Grand Mamy now.
They call my parents Papy and Mamy too or in Basque Amatxi and Aitatxi (Prononce Txi=tchi).
Old 02-02-2022, 12:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My grandparents were Nana and Boppa (mom's parents), Grandma -first name- (dad and stepdad's mothers), Grandpa -first name- (stepdad's stepdad), and Granddaddy (dad's dad) and Granddaddy -first name- (stepdad's dad).

My kids call my parents Mawmaw and Pawpaw (stepdad) and Little Pawpaw (dad, who isn't short, just shorter than my stepdad ). We don't have contact with my husband's family.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 02-02-2022, 01:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My grandparents were all grandma/grandpa [last name]. My kids mostly call their grandparents grandma/grandpa [first name]. My parent live on a farm and my kids started calling them meemaw and peepaw and it has stuck, though (and no offense meant to those who use those names -- it just felt countrified to my city kids). And, we had one grandmother who didn't want to be called grandma and chose Gigi instead. I might go with that one myself if I ever have grandkids - it's cute!
Old 02-02-2022, 01:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My great grandparents were Big Grandpa/Little Grandma and Grandma Boelter (on my dad's side). My grandparents were just Grandpa and Grandma on my dad's side... Granny and Grandpe (his nickname was Pete - so Grand-pea) on my mom's side.

For my son - Grandpa Kuch (kuchenbecker is our last name) and Marina on hubby's side... Marina is FIL's second marriage and when Jake was born, she refused to be called Grandma, she wasn't old enough to be someone's grandma. So when her grandson was born a year later from a previous marriage, then she wanted Jake to call her Grandma... no. But we have called her babushka when she isn't around - she is Russian. .

My mom is Grammy and my step dad is Grandpa D. My dad is Grandpa Johnny.

When Jake has kids - I want to be called the Queen Mum. hahahaha
Old 02-02-2022, 02:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My grandparents: mom's side-Nanu and Grandad (apparently I mispronounced Nanna and Nanu it was)
dad's side-Granny and Grandpa.

For my son: my side: Grammy and Grandad.
His dad's side: Grandma and Grandpa, great-grandmas were Oma's, and their last name.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We're boring in my family--all grandparents (mine and my kids') have always been Grandma/Grandpa [first name].
Old 02-02-2022, 02:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

What a fun thread!

My grandparents were just Mamie "name" and Papy "name" on both sides of the family. That's French for Grandma and Grandpa. Great grandmother is called Mémé "Renée" by my kids. Pépé would have been great grandpa if they were still alive.

On my husband's side they are Grandpa Gary and Celie (he remarried a couple years ago), she wants to be called Grandma but it's too weird not knowing her very much. Plus the kids already have a G-ma (ghee-ma).
Old 02-02-2022, 03:25 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My grandparents were Grandmom & Grandpop and Mom-Mom & Pop-Pop.

My kids call theirs Mom-Mom & Pop, and Grandmom & Grandpop but as they've gotten older its been more Grams & Gramps.

I am not a grandma yet.... but I am thinking maybe I'll be a Grammie or a CiCi.... hubby doesn't know yet, but we probably have a few years to decide... our oldest just got engaged this weekend!

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 02-02-2022, 04:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My grandparents were Grandma with their name Sadie and Shirley. I only knew one grandfather and he was Poppy Wayne. Papa Jack my mom's dad passed before we knew him.

My husbands grandparents were NanNan and Papa and then Grandma/Grandpa

My mother in law and FIL are Pa and Granny
My parents are Grandma Jean and Papa Mike

I have a friend that goes by Sugar...it is so sweet!
Old 02-02-2022, 04:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My son was not the first grandchild, so I tried to get him to use the names the other kids used, but he would not. He decided to call them all Grandpa and Grammy. He would differentiate between them by calling my mom & step-dad the ones from the cows (cause they had cattle), my dad & step-mom the ones from the hotel (cause they would always get a room to swim in when they came to visit), and the ones who are dad's mom and dad. It was so not an easy way, but he did it himself. lol
Old 02-02-2022, 05:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Everyone is either Grandma _{insert first name here}___ or just grandpa for my dad, because my FIL is YEYE. Bianca was into "Ni Hao Kailan" show and that is what the character called her grandpa.

Old 02-02-2022, 05:36 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I called both my grandparents Grandma or Grandpa and their last name.

My children call my husband's parents Nana and Papaw and my parents are Nana Rose and Grandpoppa.

My grandchildren call me GiGi and my husband is Hops (he didn't want to be Pops and wanted a different twist on it. He loves craft beer - hence the Hops title.

Old 02-02-2022, 05:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I called my grandparents Grandma/pa A. and Grandma/pa B. (the initials of their last names) & I often called my Grandma B (the only one who was alive past my elementary school years) "Grammy" when I talked to her. Or else just Grandma.

My husband called his grandma "Granny".

My kids called my husband's mom "Grandma Ida" (first name). My dad wanted to be called Papa. That was a surprise (he's kind of a formal guy? and also not really the type I would have expected to care what his grandpa name was?) and honestly, it doesn't come naturally when I say it even 10 years later, haha. My mom is "Gah"-- it's just what came out when my son was little and tried to say grandma & it stuck.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My grandparents were Grandma & Grandpa [Last Name] and Grandma & Papa [Last Name]. My children's grandparents are Grandma & Grandpa and Grammy & Pops.

I am planning on being a Nana, and my BF-who-will-then-be-my-husband will be Papa.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

my grandparents were called Bobba (yiddish for grandmother) and Zeida (yiddish for grandfather) on both sides.

My kids call my mother Babo as Jess (first born) couldn't say Bobba and my father is Zeida. My in-laws are Bubie and Zeidie.

Hubs wants to be called Zeidie come the time and I will NOT be called either Bobba, Babo or Bubie... lol. No idea what I want to be called but still a few years from that... first we need a wedding (hopefully sometime in the next two years God willing)
Old 02-02-2022, 07:28 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCee View Post
my grandparents were called Bobba (yiddish for grandmother) and Zeida (yiddish for grandfather) on both sides.
Mine were "bubbe" and "zaide" too!!

I'm planning on being Bubbe since I think it's the perfect name for a Jewish grandmother.
www.gallerystandouts.com
Old 02-02-2022, 10:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaMom96 View Post
Mine were "bubbe" and "zaide" too!!

I'm planning on being Bubbe since I think it's the perfect name for a Jewish grandmother.
yay.I'm sure you'll be a great Bubbe.

I actually don't mind Bubbie... as in the u sound is a uh sound, hope that makes sense. lol xx
Old 02-03-2022, 12:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My Grandmas just went by Grandma <last name>. My one grandpa died before I was born and the other was Grandma <last name> but he died when I was three so I don't have any memories of him. My kids call my parents Grandma and Grandpa but my brother's kids call them Cow Grandma and Cow Grandpa because they live on a farm and their other Grandparents are Candy Grandma and Grandpa, because, well, you can guess lol. My in-laws went by Jhidhu and Yaya as their oldest daughter married a man from Lebanon. They had the first grandkids and that was what his family tradition was.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:05 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My paternal grandfather died when my father was a young boy, so I never knew him. We called my paternal grandmother "Grandma Lala," "Lala" being a form of her first name. We called my maternal grandmother "Grandma [first name]" and my grandfather "Grampo."

My parents are Grandma and Grandpa to all their grandchildren. My inlaws are Granny and Pawpaw to all their grandchildren.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I only had one grandparent. I was raised by her so I alternated between calling her Mom and calling her Grandma. One of my brothers called her Grammadaddy (all one word) for a while because he felt cheated that he didn't have a dad. The other called her Ba-um. I can't even spell how he said it. The cousins called her Gram or Grandma.

My husband had a Nannie and a Nana. Their husbands had both passed before he met them so he called his step-grandpas by their first names.

Both of my husband's sets of parents chose to have my kids call them MomMom and PopPop. We attached their first name to each. MomMom Gail became MomMom Pumpkin at one point though. My children called their great grandmother's on my husband's side just what he called them.

My daughter called my grandma Grandma Great. She loved that so much! My children called my mom Grandma Bonnie. Her name is Cheryl. She had a ferret named Bonnie when my daughter was tiny and she called her that meaning the grandma with Bonnie. It stuck. After about 10 years of using that my mom blew up and said she hated it and why couldn't we use her name. We had no idea it bothered her before that. Now they call her Grandma but don't talk to her often.

I have 2 grandbabies (SOON TO BE THREE!! WE JUST FOUND OUT!!). There are a lot of grandparents in these babies' lives. Their mama is my stepdaughter. We learned of her just a few months before her oldest was born. She asked what we wanted to be called and my husband was quick to say Papa. I really had no idea. I thought about all the different grandparent names and then decided that Grandma was the one closest to my heart, since that is what I called my grandma and she was my best friend. So we are Grandma and Papa.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We don't really have many unusual or cutesy names in our family - just Grandpa Mike, Grandma Karen etc. On my side the same applied to great-grandparents while they were around but for some reason on my husband's side the great grandparents were called by their last names. I think I started that because I didn't know them well enough to call them by first names? I'm not really sure.

When my niece was little she couldn't say Grandpa so my step-dad became Puppa. She kind of led the way for all the babies that came after her.

My daughter was the first grandbaby on my husband's side so she was the trailblazer. My MIL wanted her to call her Mama Jo (her name is JoAnn) and being young that I was back then I was offended by that because I'm her mama/momma. Living across the country meant we didn't see each other often or have too many opportunities where it would have caused conflict or hurt feelings, thankfully, and Lainey herself started calling her Grandma Jo-Jo because she couldn't pronounce JoAnn. We think it's cute and it means more to her because Lainey gave it to her. My BILs kids just call her Grandma. He raises them so maybe a house full of boys wasn't into cutesy names? Who knows...
Old 02-06-2022, 11:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

On both sides of my family it was just grandma and grandpa for us. But on my dad's side, many of my younger cousins used Maw-maw and Papa. My grandparents were still having children of their own when me and my siblings were born so they really did not have time for that idealized grandparent role. But as time went on, they got their kids raisied and had time to be grandparents in the truest sense of the word and were just much closer with the younger ones, hence the different names.

My dad was Papa and my mom was Grandma, but she was Gi-Gi to the grand pups. LOL

My DIL wants me to pick out a cool grandma name for future grandchildren, but to be honest, I am fine with anything. To the grand pups I am grandma, and they get very excited when they hear that word cause I am a kick ass puppy grandma, but if future two legged grandchildren want to call me something else, I won't care.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love reading about all the variety in grandparent names and the backstories here! I knew I couldn't be the only one for whom a grandparent kit with customizable grandparent names would be helpful...

I know I gave my name in the other thread, but I go by Amma with my five grandchildren. My husband goes by Grandpa. The mother of his children goes by Gigi.

My parents are Oma and Opa both to my stepdaughter and to my brothers' 3 girls. My stepsons were adults when I married their dad, and they didn't develop a relationship with my parents until just before they married, so they simply call them Jim & Karen. Their kids, however, all call them Oma and Opa - so they go by the same name with both the grands and great-grands.

My husband's parents go by Grandmother and Papaw. It's a weird combo to me, sort of poised and proper paired with down-home and country, but they each chose the grandparent name their parents went by. My husband called his maternal grandparents Grandmother and Granddaddy, and his paternal grandparents Mamaw and Papaw. They're all from Arkansas & Louisiana of French & English descent.

I called my paternal grandmother and her 2nd husband Oma and Opa; my paternal grandfather and his 2nd wife were Grandpa Flinn and Jackie (her first name, because she had children just a few years older than me and refused to be called something grandmotherly). I called my maternal grandparents Grandmom and Granddad. My family is of Irish, English, and Polish descent. The German influence of Oma & Opa came from the fact I was born in West Germany on my parents' first overseas military tour and my dad's stepfather was a second-generation German immigrant to the US.

One more interesting note - my dad's grandparents, who raised him from infancy to mid-elementary school, were Nana and Papa. (They were of Irish & English descent and lived in upstate New York.) He was very close to his Papa and desperately wanted that to be his grandfather name, but when my brother married his wife, he gained a sweet 4 year old stepdaughter who already had a grandfather she called Papa. And although Gabby was certainly old enough to be able to differentiate between the two grandfathers even if they went by the same name, my brother insisted our dad go by something different, and pushed him toward Opa instead.

So instead of being called Papa, after the man he adored, the man who raised him, he is called Opa, like his stepfather, the man who was abusive and neglectful from the time he married his mother until he escaped by joining the Army at age 17.

I want so much to scrapbook that story, but I haven't decided how much trouble it will get me in...

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 02-10-2022, 03:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I really enjoyed reading this thread!

We called the donor's parents Grandma-Dorothy and Grandpa-Ken. We didn't see them often.
My mom's parents were Grandma and Grandpa. My Grandparents were still around when my kids were born. Actually my Grandpa was still here when my kids were adults! They called him Grandpa, too (even though he was their Great-Grandpa. Even the Great-Great Grandkids called him Grandpa

My hubby's grandparents all passed when he was very young. If he refers to them, he usually calls them "my mom's mom, my mom's dad", etc.

When our first Grandbaby was born, our SIL's mom decided she was going to be "G" and her mom was "Gigi". My mom was upset because she wanted to be "Gigi". LOL! Our SIL's dad wanted to be called "Him". So, that's what the kids call him.

Hubby and I are Grandpa and Grandma. They also call my mom Grandma. Gets a little confusing sometimes
Old 02-11-2022, 10:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Our SIL's dad wanted to be called "Him". So, that's what the kids call him.
Too funny! So many names for Grandmas and Grandpas!

My grandparents:
Grandma and Grandpa
Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop

My kids grandparents:
Grandma and Grandpa
Grandfather (my mom passed away before we had kids)

Don't know what I'll choose, but I love Mom-Mom, maybe because I have such fond memories of my Grandmother!
Old 02-11-2022, 11:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I only had one set of grandparents and they were always just grandma and grandpa. Our kids call their grandparents grandma/grandpa + their first name when they talk to use bout them, but call them grandma/grandpa without their first name when they are with them.

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 02-12-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

My paternal grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa.
Maternal were Nanny and PaPa.

My mom in NiNi to my daughter; dad is Grandpa.

I have a friend whose grandkids call her and her husband Lolli and Pop...I love it!