Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-02-2022, 04:05 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Default Birthdays

So I am having a birthday soon and I wonder-as I get older I don't celebrate or ask for gifts. Is there something special you like to do? I just like to see my family but keep it low key for the most part.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Happy Birthday (soon)! The best thing that I have always loved about my birthday is getting all the phone calls from my parents and siblings. We (my immediate family) rarely go out on my birthday for that reason (we get take out), especially if it's during the week. The last 5 years or so I have asked them not to get a cake (which I love, though), so we just get "fancy" cupcakes or Bundlets (one for each of us) from Nothing Bundt Cakes; that way there is not so much leftover cake. I have fun deciding what flavors to get.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I usually buy something fun to wear even if I'm not planning on going out. I make sure to take at least one selfie (and later scrap a page with said selfie talking about the previous year).

I don't cook on my birthday (or Mother's Day) so I get DoorDash or GrubHub for lunch & then go out or have my BF make dinner. I also don't do chores.

The people closest to me know that celebrating my birthday is important to me so it doesn't matter what we do as long as we do something.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:14 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Just another day for me.

Haven't really celebrated since 1996 (last year my mom was alive for it). And, after Dad moved to NC in 1999, I only saw him once on my birthday. They had stopped in Ohio on their way to Chicago for his Navy reunion and stopped on his way back. Took me out for my birthday and left the next morning. So the last time I even celebrated was in 2005.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:46 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I just choose to go out for free Mexican food on my birthday every year. My son's birthday is 3 days after mine, so usually, I focus on his birthday. My mom always mails me a gift.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nothing special. I'm happy for family and friends to call or send me text messages. I don't like to cook on "my" day so I let my husband figure out what we're going to have for dinner. It can be takeout or something he cooks, it's all fine as long as I don't have to lift a finger, lol. Otherwise it's just another day.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't require much - just for hubby to say happy birthday the second my eyes open. Then I'm happy. That never happens though, and I stew about it all day lol Same as anniversary - don't want a present, just to know that he remembered (I'm pretty easy)

Old 05-02-2022, 11:35 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It's not a big deal for me - I just love to get phone calls and texts.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The last couple years my guy has taken me out for a pedicure and either lunch, dinner or this year - both! And my parents have us over for dinner sometime that week.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We don't tend to really celebrate me or my hubbies birthdays either! We will do cake and icecream. And usually a gift or 2. I would much rather go out to dinner for a celebration (so I don't have to cook!)

A few years for Christmas, my inlaws did family gifts- passes to the zoo, passes to a museum. They got enough that the majority of us could all go together (maybe paying for a couple extra tickets, but mostly covered). Maybe you could do something like that and incorporate ALL the birthdays as one gift. Get a family membership to something, and then you can all go do it together!
Old 05-03-2022, 11:52 AM
Banned

profile gallery

I always buy myself something extravagant and not feel guilty about it. The girls always bake me something delicious and we all go out for dinner/get take out from someplace special. I usually do a long lunch with friends/co-workers, too. No gifts, though. I always request in lieu of gifts that they make a donation to their local animal rescue.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nothing much here. I have a running Amazon list of fun things I like but don't want to just buy so hubby sometimes gets me something off it...Last year it was cereal bowls that have a separate slot for milk and cereal..LOL A board game and gnomes that light up for Christmas. We also go out to dinner somewhere fun and grab Cheesecake or cupcakes
Old 05-03-2022, 11:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love baking my own cake, why? Because I love my cake recipe. LOL!!!!

Old 05-04-2022, 12:37 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We're pretty low key, too. DH and the kids get me a card and usually a Visa gift card that I can use for scrapping supplies. We go out to dinner, but it's rarely on my actual birthday--my son's birthday is a few days after mine, so usually the weekend in between our birthdays we focus on his. My extended family also calls, and my parents always send a card and check. We do a dessert of some kind, but it's rarely cake--I'd much rather have ice cream or chocolate. When the kids were younger and needed me constantly, I used to get a day "off" of parenting around my birthday and again near Mothers' Day and I did the same for my husband's birthday and Fathers' Day. That was always my favorite present, the only 2 days a year I felt like I got a chance to be me instead of Mom.