Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default I Pad

Ok - So who has an Ipad - and is it worth it??????

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Old 04-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I cannot see that name and not think about menstration. What man came up with that name anyway?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've found way too much hype over something that doesn't look worth what they want. We are waiting for the second generation, probably end of next year to see what they add to it. I'm anti Ipad, sorry. (I love my Ipod and use Safari, so I'm not anti Apple. I just believe not all their devices are worth it. Too many are hyped up just to let everyone down.)
Old 04-09-2010, 09:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I saw one the other day a pt had it and It was just like an Iphone but bigger and I heard the data plan for the 2nd gen will be a few bucks more.. I honestly don't get it

Old 04-09-2010, 09:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

my hubby played with it at Best Buy the other day... size is nice... but awkward to type on. I don't see how they think this will replace the laptop in the future...
Old 04-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Susan Bartolini

I have one. Love it. In fact, I am typing this message on it from my bed. Totally makes sense to me. I use it in places where a laptop is too much and an iPhone is not enough. Took it to the rink yesterday and worked (answered emails) while my kids skated. I would never do that with a laptop. I'll be taking it to the gym tomorrow to watch a movie while I workout. It fits in my purse and is uberconvenient. Some of the apps are amazing. The book reader is gorgeous, ABC's app let's you watch all the episodes from their shows FREE. Caught up on Food Revolution earlier this week. I will be loading all my recipes on it and will use it in the kitchen when I'm cooking (yes, there's an app for that).

Bottom line, it is a total luxury item, but I like that I can read books and magazines now without cluttering my house. I like that I can surf and check email from bed without a huge hot laptop on my stomach, and I love all the apps in the store. In general, I am an early adopter and I know cheaper better versions will come out in the years to come but I absolutely love this thing and it definitely fills a niche in my computing needs.

Susan
Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I think they're uber neat! I'll probably wait till a couple generations from now, but I wish I had one! i have no need for an iPhone and LOVE all the apps so this is a perfect solution for me!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I wasn't sold on it when it was first announced but now I kind of want one. LOL! I don't really think I can justify the cost though since I already have an iPhone, a MacBookPro and a Kindle. Maybe if I sold the Kindle...

No, but really if I traveled a lot, or was away from home waiting around like Susan mentioned, I can totally see how it would be really useful. The last two times I traveled, I took my laptop but never even ended up using it because I could do everything I needed on my iPhone. Having the larger screen on the iPad would just make it that much easier.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I want one but won't be able to afford one for a while...maybe second gen will be my timing. I wanted to use a netbook for a book reader but ended up trading my DD for her laptop with power issues. The thing has a much better size for me but is not portable as it loses power if you sneeze on the power cord port (there's actually a paper clip wedged into it just to keep it plugged in!) I don't need an I phone and I'm going blind so watching movies and reading on somthing that small doesn't appeal to me. But even the netbook was a bit too big (and cumbersome, and hot, and power draining) to carry around with me to read in waiting rooms, etc. For me, the I-pad looks like the right size, power needs, and selection of apps for me. I'm otherwise a PC girl and not terribly drawn to super-proprietary Apple stuff. (besides, Apple has always been priced out of my range.)

Kristi
Old 04-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sure in a generation or two I'll end up with one.....we are gadgety like that.

The Wheelchair Mommy Tweet*Tweet

William-2004, Lucas-2008 & Nathan-Summer 2011
Old 04-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i'm waiting for the the 3G one to come out - and then i'll most likely get it i don't think i NEED it - i have an iphone, macbook pro and a kindle - but i WANT it - LOL! i think i'll use it for all the reasons susan mentioned ... if i'm not scrapping, i'd rather have something smaller than my laptop (which is 17 inches) ... and i LOVE my iphone, but it is pretty small for reading, etc ... i can definitely see myself reading w/ it (i like that it is backlit vs. the kindle which is not, b/c i do most of my reading at night in bed), for recipes/cooking, and for emails, facebook, etc when out and about w/ the kids (while they are in classes, etc) - or when i'm in the golf cart watching my husband golf, etc etc

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 04-10-2010, 12:45 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I'd love to get one! It will be a long while before I can spring to get one. If they would have had it out at Christmas time then I probably would have gotten one of them then instead of the iTouch. However I love my iTouch, so I'm not bummed at all.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:24 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I really want one so bad. They look awesome and after reading Susan's post I want one even more. But first I want to get CS4 and a new lens for my camera. So it will have to wait......

Creating for Kristin Cronin-Barrow,Kay Miller, Shabby Miss Jehn, Kitty Design, K Studio, Ju Kneipp, Kaye Winiecki.

Seaside by Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 04-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am so debating getting one and sending it to Jay for fathers day - Thanks everyone for the input!

Old 04-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

They don't sell in Holland yet....maybe I'm glad about that! I don't know what the price will be here but the IPhone is about 1000 euro's....not worth it my opinion....

I can buy a whole lot of digital kits for that money!
Old 04-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i like gadgets and all but i can't justify having one, lol. i'm at home most of the time anyway. and i'm old fashioned when it comes to reading; i prefer an actual book. so all those kindles and things don't interest me one bit. i love having my books i've read on display, lol.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I would totally buy one if I could justify it at the moment. They looks so super cool!!!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am still on the fence about one. I know the iPhone 4 will be debuting soon (late summer?) and I really want to upgrade from my 3G. Plus, I want to upgrade my Canon XTi. So if I didn't have all that in mind I am sure I would have my eye on the iPad. LOL!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefamily View Post
I am still on the fence about one. I know the iPhone 4 will be debuting soon (late summer?) and I really want to upgrade from my 3G. Plus, I want to upgrade my Canon XTi. So if I didn't have all that in mind I am sure I would have my eye on the iPad. LOL!
I'm with you - I need a new camera and I'm consider CS4, but the ipad is sure tempting!

Old 04-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Don't get CS4.....CS5 is launching in a couple days!

Susan
Old 04-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I would LOVE to have one! It hasn't arrived in Norway yet either, not sure when it will. The price will probably be much higher than in the US, hopefully my boss will let me have one so I don't have to pay for it myself
Old 04-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It is on my wish list, too. I was kinda wanting a Kindle, but was holding out for something more versatile, and I am thinking the ipad is it.

Eva Kipler
BLOGSWEET SHOPPE STORE TWITTER FACEBOOK FAN PAGE NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

♥ SNAG IF YOU ARE A FAN! ♥ ------------->
Old 04-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ok, this is why I think the iPad could be really cool. SO hoping more magazines see the possibilties in this:

YouTube: See Wired Magazine on iPad
Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaK View Post
It is on my wish list, too. I was kinda wanting a Kindle, but was holding out for something more versatile, and I am thinking the ipad is it.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I just got my iPhone a couple of weeks ago, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, but I don't enjoy reading on it, just too small. And my laptop is a 17 inch, so again, that is too big for just web surfing or whatever in bed. I cannot justify buying it at all, so unless I ask for Christmas, it's probably not something I'll get in the near future! I also need to upgrade from CS3 to 5, so that will probably come first.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I will get one but will wait til the 2nd or 3rd generation so they can get the kinks out and really hoping that they will allow adobe flash to be used with it....really a shame when I use my itouch and can't go to some of the sites I like. Plus I want to upgrade to CS5 so just sitting waiting patiently.....lol.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:55 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I'm an Apple addict so I will definitely want one in the future. Trouble is convincing DH. He still isn't hot on the whole iPhone thing. But, he is an IT Manager for a hospital here, and a bunch of the docs at the hospital got iPads as soon as they were released, so he is having to provide support for them at work. I can see how an iPad would be really fantastic for a doctor at a hospital who could take it around while he/she visits patients. Very convenient!

Old 04-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I want one in the way that I want all new shiny gadgets . I think it might be fun to have but I cannot think of any reason why I need one. I don't mind reading books on my iPhone and generally I am too cheap to buy ebooks anyway. I don't really go anywhere. But if I could somehow watch movies on it while I'm on the treadmill .... or if I could stream my Netflix to it ...

I think I may need to go to the Apple store today and have a hands on look though.

I should look up the data plans.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep...you can stream Netflix and you can watch movies while on the treadmill. The 3G one isn't out yet, but once it is, it is a pay as you go plan. You activate the 3G service directly from the iPad. There is no contract. Awesome.

Susan

PS - The ABC app is amazing. I have been catching up on all the shows I missed. It streams all their primetime shows FREE.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
Ok, this is why I think the iPad could be really cool. SO hoping more magazines see the possibilties in this:

YouTube: See Wired Magazine on iPad
That is really neat! I don't read many magazines because I hate the glossy pages and the floppy format. I'd be much more likely to read them on this. I just hope the prices go down some in the near future.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Bartolini View Post
Yep...you can stream Netflix and you can watch movies while on the treadmill. The 3G one isn't out yet, but once it is, it is a pay as you go plan. You activate the 3G service directly from the iPad. There is no contract. Awesome.

Susan

PS - The ABC app is amazing. I have been catching up on all the shows I missed. It streams all their primetime shows FREE.
So you are just using the WiFi connection? I really think my stupid $30 a month iphone plan should cover that thing too!!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, right now I just have the Wifi one. That one is going to be for my husband's business. I personally ordered the 3G and am still waiting for it to be delivered. They haven't been released yet.

S
Old 04-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Does the Kindle app work on the iPad or does it use a different ereader?
Old 04-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yep...you can stream Netflix and you can watch movies while on the treadmill.
omigosh, you CAN? i was just at the Apple store and forgot to ask about this. I think I would want a 3g one but I seriously can't really justify getting one . I have no idea how I would actually use it on my treadmill. I need some sort of something to put it on or something ...

You know what I really liked? The calendar lol. It looked so organized and efficient. It made me feel like I could become organized.

Oh dear.

I think I may be coming down with iPad Fever.

eta: Oh and I am sorry that I looked at the books on the iPad. Now my tiny iPhone screen looks so inferior.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post
Does the Kindle app work on the iPad or does it use a different ereader?
Kindle App for iPad
Old 04-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yeah, right now I just have the Wifi one. That one is going to be for my husband's business. I personally ordered the 3G and am still waiting for it to be delivered. They haven't been released yet.

S
So you can use it with wifi and NOT pay for a data plan for it? I've wanted it, but figured it was set up more like an iphone and would need a data plan which I can't justify - but if it works on only wifi like the Kindle does, it makes it more appealing for down the road when the prices come down!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
So you can use it with wifi and NOT pay for a data plan for it? I've wanted it, but figured it was set up more like an iphone and would need a data plan which I can't justify - but if it works on only wifi like the Kindle does, it makes it more appealing for down the road when the prices come down!
yes, right now the wi-fi only model is out. Soon the wi-fi + 3g model will come out. the 3g data plan is just month to month, no contract.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have been promised one when they release the 3G version. I can't wait!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meems View Post
yes, right now the wi-fi only model is out. Soon the wi-fi + 3g model will come out. the 3g data plan is just month to month, no contract.
Well, that's cool! We don't do data plans, can't justify it at all, so that's awesome that the wifi is available since wifi is so prevalent in our area! WOOT! I know I don't NEED the thing...but I'd still love to have one!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure if any of yall follow the photographer Becker, but he did a video on his thoughts on the ipad. Its long, I haven't even finished it yet.

http://www.thebschoolblog.com/index.cfm?postID=383

Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

my aunt has one for work, and i got to play with it this past week.

it's an awkward size, in my opinion. i mean, it's a cool little toy. i like all the apps you can put on it. and it would be fun to have. but it's a weird size. if it were the size of the kindle (which i want), i think i'd be more excited? i dunno. it's fun, i'll probably have one eventually. the one with 3g though, it'd be a good thing to have when a laptop is too much, but a phone isn't enough (like when i'm at work, where i can't get a wifi connection for my laptop). kind of like what susan said.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:07 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Trixie Scraps Send a message via Skype™ to Trixie Scraps

When I first heard the name of the thing, I thought it was totally dumb.... but I've since seen commercials and previews of what it can do... and I gotta say, I think it might be the coolest thing ever.

I *just* got an Iphone this past fall, tho... so I'm a "late adopter." I've had a Kindle for about a year, too... so, I dunno that I have tons and tons of use for an Ipad. All the same, if someone wanted to give me one tomorrow, I'd be thrilled to have it! lol

But, buying one for myself... it will be a while
Old 04-19-2010, 12:03 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Vera Bradley just emailed me with a pic of a CUTE iPad case. Ugh! Maybe if I am a *really* good mommy, I'll get one for Mother's day. Of course, I'd need to have an iPad first! LOLOLOL

here is the link- Vera Bradley mini-laptop (iPad) bag
Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I put my layouts on my ipad and absolutely LOVE IT! Family members and I can look at layouts easily, zoom in and out, and I don't need to worry about printing out the layouts for others to see it. My DH is finally interested in looking at my layouts, lol. It's close to perfect, if only I didn't need to deal with itunes, which I don't like....
Old 04-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i had specifically not come back to this thread - LOL - now i am SOOOO tempted! LOL! and i didn't even think i liked vera bradley stuff - but, yep, i DO LOL!

creating for:
Old 04-22-2010, 02:27 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

So excited - got our iPads today! Best Buy is offering 18months No Interest financing, so we decided to splurge! The thing is AMAZING!

Streaming movies via Netflix using just the wi-fi rocks and if you're already a Netflix subscriber, you can connect up to 6 devices! So if you have a 2 dvd's out at a time plan, hubby can stream to the PS3 and you can stream to your iPad! We were recently talking about getting a small flat screen installed on the wall above our treadmill - problem solved with no holes in the wall because the ipad is perfect to watch while walking!

USA today is free and looks fabulous. The web is pristine. And...

Simply Sweet looks like it was made for the iPad! The magazine seriously looks so so incredible on the iPad and you can take it anywhere now! I'll see if I can get a pic up later! Download the GoodReader app for .99 and you can transfer each issue to your iPad instantly and view them full screen - tap the corner of the screen to turn the page - scrappy GORGEOUSNESS!

Still playing with our new toy - can't wait to travel with it next month! So far, I think it's worth every penny!

R
Old 04-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ooo Julie your so wrong - Is it wrong the thing putting me over the top is the case?

Old 04-22-2010, 10:15 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Oh Robin - see now I really think I want one, but I'm sure I won't get one for quite a while. Have fun with yours.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
So excited - got our iPads today! Best Buy is offering 18months No Interest financing, so we decided to splurge! The thing is AMAZING!

Streaming movies via Netflix using just the wi-fi rocks and if you're already a Netflix subscriber, you can connect up to 6 devices! So if you have a 2 dvd's out at a time plan, hubby can stream to the PS3 and you can stream to your iPad! We were recently talking about getting a small flat screen installed on the wall above our treadmill - problem solved with no holes in the wall because the ipad is perfect to watch while walking!

USA today is free and looks fabulous. The web is pristine. And...

Simply Sweet looks like it was made for the iPad! The magazine seriously looks so so incredible on the iPad and you can take it anywhere now! I'll see if I can get a pic up later! Download the GoodReader app for .99 and you can transfer each issue to your iPad instantly and view them full screen - tap the corner of the screen to turn the page - scrappy GORGEOUSNESS!

Still playing with our new toy - can't wait to travel with it next month! So far, I think it's worth every penny!

R
Robin - I just KNEW you'd be getting an iPad. Girl after my own heart. I am still waiting on my 3G one. We have the Wifi now and I LOVE it. The problem is, I am staying up later at night because I am doing all my reading/surfing in bed and I can't put the thing down. It is definitely addicting.

Some iPad recommendations for you:

iBooks - Gorgeous! No more books cluttering the house. Nuff said.

Instapaper - basically if you find things on the internet (on your computer) to read throughout the day but you want to read them later, you click the "Read Later" button and it sends them to your account and you read them on the iPad. I use this a lot now...so that I don't get distracted while I should be designing. I just click Read Later and then catch up in bed.

Feedler Pro - this is a good Google Reader app. Google doesn't have an iPhone or iPad app making it next to impossible to read your feeds (the scrolling is all wonky). This reader syncs with your Google Reader account and voila!

Zinio - magazine reader. You can get subscriptions on your iPad now. Waiting for Cooking Lite and Shape!

ABC Player - FREE! All of the ABC's primetime (and some daytime) shows streamed to the iPad. And did I mention, it is FREE!!!

New York Times - FREE!

Twitterific and Tweet Deck

Pandora - flat out rocks!

LogMeIn - you can access your home computer remotely from the iPad. Move your finger across the screen and it literally moves the mouse on your home computer. This is amazing. I have had to access files while out. It isn't cheap.....but it really helped me out when I was in a bind and I love it.

Kids Games
Clicky Sticky - cute sticker game. My kids love it.
123 Color - Coloring book
ABC Fun - learn to write the alphabet
PacMan - yep...the classic. I am freakin addicted.

Have fun!
Susan

Last edited by Susan Bartolini; 04-22-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh susan - i think i love you i want my ipad NOW LOL! (i'm waiting for the 3G ... )

creating for: