Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Default Making Digi Books for Peeps

Ok so I have a old high school friend that just asked me what I would charge to make him digital book of his 3 kids (3 seperate books). I have over 100 GB of digital stuff already. So here is my questions

1) how does this work with copyright stuff?

2) how would you figure a price for this?\

Thanks In Advance
Old 10-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

Well you'd have to use kits that were scrap for hire friendly. You'd consult each item's TOU to find out if it is allowed, and/or contact the designer directly to be sure.

As for the cost? EEK>no idea. Depends on what they want. I think it's not uncommon to charge $10 a page! I've only done one SFH project and swore I'd never do it again. I did a 20 page wedding album for someone for $150.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Lena.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My price would take into consideration the following:

(a) how much S4H stuff I already had vs. what I would have to buy for this album -- will I use the same kit for each album or multiple kits?
(b) the time it would take to complete the albums -- will I be using templates or premade albums vs. having to put all the pages together on my own?
(c) if they have a deadline in mind for completion of these albums -- can I take my time over the course of several months or do they want these for a specific reason or event that is coming up?
(d) what kind of books they are envisioning -- softcover, hardcover, etc.?
(e) how much it will cost to get these books printed and shipped

In general, the more time and money I would have to put into these books, the more I would charge.

HTH! Good luck!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

As someone who used to do S4O... don't sell yourself short. It is time consuming when doing this for someone else... meeting with them and then them not really knowing what they want. They tell you to just go ahead and do it the way you do it... finally they see what you can do and THEN they have ideas on what they want to see... my personality didn't work well with this. LOL!

You can charge two ways... per hour plus the cost of materials (i.e. if you need to get more kits and cost of printing... do they want bound books or pages to put in an expanding scrapbook?)... or a flat price. If you want to know what the average in the "biz" it's $15-20* per page... so whatever you set the price at, you can tell them that "professionals" are charging this... and if you can believe them, they aren't hurting for business.

*they justify these prices include hourly wage, wear and tear on equipment (like a computer/printer), electricity, heating, etc. More times than not, materials cost extra.