Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Chalkboard Menu

I have been wanting to do a chalkboard in my kitchen/dining area for months now and have decided that this week I am finally going to do it!

I found this one on Pinterest that looks really easy to do so I *think I am going to go with it and I *think I like the idea of being able to pull Laddy up to it and let him draw on the lower part of it. I haven't decided on that yet.

I would love it in my actual kitchen BUT...I don't have wall space in it. See....

So I was wondering, do you think it would look okay in my dining room? And should it be on the wall where the wine rack is or on the left side of that window?

What do you guys think? Also....have any of you done a chalkboard in the house?

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Something I would do......might freak you out........but I would consider painting my pantry door with chalkboard paint. Outside or the inside of it. Then it would be in the kitchen AND you can paint it low enough where Laddy can play without having to put him up on a chair or something.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What about painting that far right upper cabinet door? It looks pretty big. And if you want something for the kiddo, I'd put a chalkboard on that blank half wall next to your bar stools.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
What about painting that far right upper cabinet door? It looks pretty big. And if you want something for the kiddo, I'd put a chalkboard on that blank half wall next to your bar stools.
I was thinking the same thing!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I would make a bigger version of the rectangle one you found on pinterest, then screw it right onto the outside of your pantry door. If you rent and don't feel like replacing the door when you leave you can always hang it to the left of the window in the dining room... that seems like the next-best place!

Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

These are all awesome ideas guys! I think I really like the idea of putting a framed version on the outside of my pantry door! I didn't even think of putting it there and I think hubby would go for it too. Fingers crossed.

And the area you guys are talking about on the island - I totally NEVER even thought of this as an option for Laddy a chalkboard until I looked at the picture. I stare at that wall all the time as where I sit in the living room faces that but never even stepped back and looked at it. It would actually be a perfect spot for this for Laddy! I hope Jonathan will let me do it. I wonder if I can get it done before Laddy comes this weekend!

Would it look bad if I did both? A chalkboard for my menu on the pantry door and then a big area on that lower wall for the grandkids?

Oh - and we own so no issue there with drilling into the door. ha ha

Old 10-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have a fear of chalkboard in my house. My kids would probably try to climb up and erase it all anyway! If I ever do it, I'll be painting on one of my pantry doors.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenee View Post
These are all awesome ideas guys! I think I really like the idea of putting a framed version on the outside of my pantry door! I didn't even think of putting it there and I think hubby would go for it too. Fingers crossed.

And the area you guys are talking about on the island - I totally NEVER even thought of this as an option for Laddy a chalkboard until I looked at the picture. I stare at that wall all the time as where I sit in the living room faces that but never even stepped back and looked at it. It would actually be a perfect spot for this for Laddy! I hope Jonathan will let me do it. I wonder if I can get it done before Laddy comes this weekend!

Would it look bad if I did both? A chalkboard for my menu on the pantry door and then a big area on that lower wall for the grandkids?

Oh - and we own so no issue there with drilling into the door. ha ha
My 2 cents... you can never have too many chalkboards!!! If you don't want them to be exactly the same, use different frames on each of them... or and make one black and the other vintage-looking green?

We have two hanging in our kitchen. I used 2 frames I got at a thrift store. I popped out the glass and tacky pictures and just inserted primed & chalkboard painted MDF (very very smooth manufactured wood-like board like particleboard). Then I hung them by screwing right through the frames into the wall... I have a picture somewhere...

Old 10-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
My 2 cents... you can never have too many chalkboards!!! If you don't want them to be exactly the same, use different frames on each of them... or and make one black and the other vintage-looking green?

We have two hanging in our kitchen. I used 2 frames I got at a thrift store. I popped out the glass and tacky pictures and just inserted primed & chalkboard painted MDF (very very smooth manufactured wood-like board like particleboard). Then I hung them by screwing right through the frames into the wall... I have a picture somewhere...
Yes, picture! Picture!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAVampLvr View Post
I have a fear of chalkboard in my house. My kids would probably try to climb up and erase it all anyway! If I ever do it, I'll be painting on one of my pantry doors.
Luckily, my only kid in the house is 15. But wouldn't you know it, when I told her the idea of putting one down on that wall for my grandson, she said "yea, but what are you going to do if he wants to color on the non chalkboard walls too?" Ugh...that is exactly what I don't want hubby to think of. That is one of the worries he will have and not want me to do it. BUT....I am sure he will learn not to do that. He just has to be taught.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think it's going to look great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenee View Post
BUT....I am sure he will learn not to do that. He just has to be taught.
In the meantime you may want to be sure that only chalk and washable crayons/markers are accessible to him. I have 1 who took a LONG time to master that particular lesson, LOL. We have permanent "art" on our walls from the few times a non-washable marker made its way into the marker bin.

Also, thinking of my kids at 2-ish I wouldn't have hung a framed chalkboard for them. They have some that come in sheets or on rolls with a self adhesive back. Then you wouldn't have to worry about him pulling it down on himself.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

Great ideas! Love the Chalk board on the door idea the best!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh yay! He said I could have both! He is going to try and figure out a way to put the chalkboard on the pantry door so that it won't have to put holes in the door. But he said for me to just figure out what I want and he will get it done for me.

He also said Laddy could have the area on the bottom of the island the only thing he asked is that the trim around the chalkboard match the cabinets! I plan to screw it to the wall so there won't be any problem with him ever pulling it down on himself.

I wonder how washable "washable" walls are? I have washable paint in my house but I have never had to try and remove coloring from the walls.....you know, just in case he (or any of my future grandchildren) think it is okay to color on other walls with other types of writing instruments like Rachel said.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

If you have washable paint the Mr. Clean magic erasers should clean off any marks. Just don't let them use a sharpie!!!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

And you can always paint over.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

WD-40 will get off crayon and with washable paint it won't be an issue. I've never tried take chalk off the wall. I would think it would just wash off. My now 13 yo used to love to color on the walls (and use the stamp pad like lotion on herself). Actually she still likes to decorate walls now that I think of it (just with magazines and things printed from the internet).
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Did you know you can make your own chalkboard paint? It's super-cheap! I followed Martha Stewart's recipe here. It turned out great and was WAY cheaper than the pre-made stuff. Here's my chalkboard post on my blog: http://travandmel.blogspot.com/2012/...y-updates.html