Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy
Default I am going INSANE

With the kids home for summer, all they want to do is snack. ALL. DAY. LONG

Are anyone else's kids like this? It absolutely drives me INSANE. Any suggestions on what to do to curb this?

Old 06-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Container of cut up fruit and veggies in the fridge and tell them that is only snacks allowed. If they are really hungry they will eat it, if they whine for something "better" they aren't hungry. That is my plan this summer, that and homemade real fruit popsicles.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:11 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

YES! I have one kid in particular who is ALWAYS begging for food. He actually really loves apples and carrots and often has those for his snacks. But, if he had his way, he would be eating one thing or another constantly. It drives me batty. So, I'll be watching this thread.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I do similar to Jenn. If my kids leave food on their plate at breakfast or lunch, I tuck it away in the fridge for the next time they tell me they are hungry. If they have gone through their lunch food, they are allowed all the fruit/veggies and water they want; no other options until dinner.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have been only allowing them fruits/veggies/hummus/etc. but lord, it's contstant!

Old 06-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

my girlfriend keeps a tupperware sort of container/bin on the bottom shelf her fridge (easy access for the kiddos) and fills it with healthy snacks each morning. her rule is that her kids can help themselves to whatever they want in the bin, whenever they want. but once it's gone, it's gone for the day. no refills. period. end of story. her boys are 8 & 5.

my boys don't actually ask for snacks that often, but if it comes up i'll totally be stealing her idea.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm....short of that maybe planned snack times? We used to do 10AM and 3PM as snack time and did a bigger snack like fruit/veggies, some sort of protein (hardboiled egg/yogurt/hummus/cheese) and maybe crackers.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My would snack all day, every day and then not eat at dinner....Derek is the biggest problem.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I find my kids snack pretty often. I try to curb that with them having fruit and veggies. I may try the bin in the fridge with appropriate snack ideas for the kiddos. I have a hard time with my son though as he's a VERY picky eater.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ha. I'm the one who won't quit snacking. I teach, so I'm used to being crazy busy 3 hours, then an hour break then crazy busy another 3 hours (I teach pre-K so we have an AM session and a PM session). There's no time to snack in there so I do pretty good with a diet during the school year. When I'm home, it's snack like crazy time. I do have veggies, fruits and healthy snacks, but when you eat them all. day. long. it doesn't matter.

My kids are great. They rarely snack and when they do, they choose healthy. Wish it would rub off on me.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Growing up it was always lunch no earlier than 11, and snack time from 3-4 with dinner at 6. Set times, and that's when we could eat. If we were hungry, Mom could just point to the clock.

For my kids I feed them 4 meals a day. Breakfast at 7-ish, lunch at 10:30, snack (fruit + protein + crackers) after nap or around 2:30, and then dinner at 5:30. My 2 yo asks for crackers all day long...but if I don't stave her off then she won't eat dinner and wakes up even earlier than usual.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Summers drive me crazy with my kids for a few reasons. Snacking is definitely one of them. My son seems to think he has to have three breakfasts and then three lunches. Literally, full meals. It has gotten better the past few weeks but, sheesh, my grocery bill is almost double in the summer because they eat all the time... and not just snack, but have a full meal and then an hour later want another full meal. I don't get it. I don't wan to eat in the summer, it's too hot.

As far as insane... the fighting is driving me insane.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Honestly I just quit buying food. I mean, my kids are like locusts and even though they love healthy fare, I don't want them eating all day long. I also hate to monitor them too closely because they aren't little and are capable. We shop and that's it until X day. Ainsley would eat a pint of cherry tomatoes in two sittings if you let her but with them knowing that it has to last, they're better about it. It also helps that during the summer I make my kids prepare food so if they want something and it's not prepared they have to make it.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to force my boys to eat. Seriously. All 4 of them. And THAT drives ME insane!

I snack all day too. I'm no help.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm totally gonna give the bin thing a try. Thank you ladies

Old 06-20-2013, 09:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We pretty much have set meal/snack times. Breakfast/lunch/dinner at the normal times, then a mid morning and mid afternoon snack. If they're hungry inbetween that, then they didn't eat enough at the previous mealtime. And that's too bad. They learn quick enough to eat when the food is available.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We try to have set meal times. If they do not eat breakfast and lunch they do not get afternoon snack. They get dinner and that's it. I don't let my kids snacks all day since it means they won't eat their meals. :/
Old 06-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

See I can't do the bin thing... Because they would go crazy having the power to just reach in and eat something whenever they wanted. The bin would be empty by noon. LOL.

We have set meal & snack times. I always try to include a protein in their snack, too. I've noticed it holds them over better. Another thing is making sure they are drinking water... Sometimes they think they are hungry, but it's actually thirst.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:21 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Barrette View Post
Hmmm....short of that maybe planned snack times? We used to do 10AM and 3PM as snack time and did a bigger snack like fruit/veggies, some sort of protein (hardboiled egg/yogurt/hummus/cheese) and maybe crackers.
this is what we do - 10am morning tea and 3pm afternoon snack. Kitchen is closed between these times (unless for drink of water). Also only healthy snacks allowed, fruit etc. Like others have said, if they dont want healthy stuff they're not hungry.

My 15 year old and 5 year old are absolutely obsessed with eating, and my 5 y/o drives me absolutely insane with CONSTANT nagging for food. Instead of saying no all the time I now just say it once 'no, it's not morning/afternoon tea time yet, I will tell you when it's time' and then I just say 'I love you' each time she asks. She ends up giving up lol.

I also point them towards some kind of activity when this happens as I have found that it's not that they are hungry, they're bored (me too sometimes lol). If they're occupied with craft or playing something hands on outside, the nagging seems to lessen.

somewhat.

Donna
Old 06-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We have planned snack times but they still are always "Starving!"

Generally they are not starving enough to have an apple or carrot (which they can always have at any time, along with grapes & oranges). They are starving for chips, crackers, cookies, pretzels, etc (which are not all in the house at any one time but generally there is a bag of something). They will sometimes moan & whine their way through an apple and then claim to still be starving. The bin thing doesn't work for us. They either eat everything by noon and spend the afternoon complaining about how they are starving or they eat nothing and complain about the contents of the bin while wailing about how they are starving

I send them outside to run around the house 5 times at that point. I tell them that hunger unsatisfied by apples or carrots means you need more exercise.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapweaver View Post

I also point them towards some kind of activity when this happens as I have found that it's not that they are hungry, they're bored (me too sometimes lol). If they're occupied with craft or playing something hands on outside, the nagging seems to lessen.

somewhat.
This is what I was going to suggest. Have a list of ideas to keep them busy. They may not be hungry as much as bored. If they are busy with activities and still asking for snacks then they probably really are hungry too.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

My issue is with my kids and DRINKS. See, I specifically do not buy kool aid or other super sugary drinks. I try to encourage water and I also get juice, which I know can also be pretty sugary depending on what you get, but it's better than kool aid! My kids will drain a pitcher of anything in a day no problem. And if I'm not buying kool-aid then my boyfriend does even though I've told him repeatedly not to. I think some behavior problems around here stem from having a steady stream of sugar water all day! So maybe if I just clobber him over the head that will solve my problems? I've also been trying to buy less junky stuff for us to eat, but then he brings it home from the store. Drives me nuts.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misserin View Post
My issue is with my kids and DRINKS. See, I specifically do not buy kool aid or other super sugary drinks. I try to encourage water and I also get juice, which I know can also be pretty sugary depending on what you get, but it's better than kool aid! My kids will drain a pitcher of anything in a day no problem. And if I'm not buying kool-aid then my boyfriend does even though I've told him repeatedly not to. I think some behavior problems around here stem from having a steady stream of sugar water all day! So maybe if I just clobber him over the head that will solve my problems? I've also been trying to buy less junky stuff for us to eat, but then he brings it home from the store. Drives me nuts.
This is why I'm glad my husband doesn't grocery shop for us LOL

mine are REALLY good about drinking water or "crystal water" (flavored seltzer water).

I've already told them about the bins starting Monday, I think they'll learn quickly when they're really hungry and when they're just bored.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I have the food tendencies of kids I guess..I'm a snacker. Rather have a snack here or there all day than a meal. I think some of it is metabolism too though. I try and make mine have a cup of water when they are hungry and if they are still hungry 20-30 mins later they can have a snack...we stopped eating junk around here months ago so most of the snacks are healthy so I usually don't worry about what they are getting

The drinks is a HUGE problem here too...my kids can go thru a pitcher of something so fast it's inane.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe