Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Template Designers - A Question for you?

One of my designers that I CT for has recently mentioned that she was getting some flack for having team members that were using templates from other designers with her kits in her advertising? I was just wondering if that is a no-no... I scrap with templates all the time and always credit the designer but I don't want to be doing something that I am not supposed to be doing? I always assumed that the more exposure the better, no matter how they are being advertised?

Please give me your thoughts on it!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

That is strange, I had never heard of that. I use templates all the time, and don't mind at all if my CT uses other designers templates.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I had a team before that the store she was at didn't want her using LOs her team created with outside templates for advertising. I think thats just silly.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was on a CT once where we got stuff ahead of time and then our layouts were primarily used for advertising. In that instance, it was suggested that we make sure any templates we used were CU OK because we really were using the templates to help our designer make a profit. I don't think anyone ever complained, the designer was just very conscious of that stuff.

I think that for your regular CT stuff -- get the designer's stuff, make a layout, and post it in a gallery or three -- there's no need to worry about using templates.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As a designer, I tell my CTers that it's okay to use other stuff with my templates and vice versa. They always. I know most of the designers they use (we all kind of met up on a particular site) and know they wouldn't have a problem. It's good exposure for both. Some designers ask that you use their stuff for ad purposes. But I've never had anyone complain to me.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKim View Post
I was on a CT once where we got stuff ahead of time and then our layouts were primarily used for advertising. In that instance, it was suggested that we make sure any templates we used were CU OK because we really were using the templates to help our designer make a profit. I don't think anyone ever complained, the designer was just very conscious of that stuff.

I think that for your regular CT stuff -- get the designer's stuff, make a layout, and post it in a gallery or three -- there's no need to worry about using templates.
I can see it from that designer's perspective, but I don't agree with that interpretation of commercial use. To me, CU for a template would be to make a quick page out of it to give away or to sell. By that definition, the CT shouldn't use any fonts that aren't CU, either. Yes, the CT layouts are advertising, but they're also layouts that will usually end up in a personal album.

The bigger issue I see is that when the layouts are used for advertising, there aren't usually any credits attached, so the template designer wouldn't be getting the advertising benefit. But the same thing happens in reverse when template and font designers advertise their products. Typically, the kit used may be credited in the kit preview, but not in the sample layouts in the store.

ETA: Having voiced my opinion, let me say that if I knew a particular template designer didn't want their products used for CT layouts, I would respect that.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Hmm...that's weird but I guess I can see it from both sides, if I use a template I just always let my designer know...that way it's up to them if they use it for advertising or not
Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I noticed a kit created by a designer not at SSD, but at another large site, used with a Cindy Schneider template (a really new one). I thought it was a little weird (the team member used the template with her kit on it, it was an excellent page), but if she accepted it...*shrugs*. I always thought when a team member worked for a designer, the TM used all materials from that designer's store, not from any other store.

But that's what I thought. My two cents!

goes away now

Last edited by JulieB146; 02-24-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've been on quite a few CTs where the designer did not want the LOs that were going in the previews using outside templates. Other LOs they didn't care, but not for the ones that were being used specifically to promote a new product.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 02-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My personal opinion is that it doesn't hurt sales for either one. If I see a promotional layout that I really like, I don't say, Ugh, that uses a template; I can't tell if I really like the kit or not. And likewise, if I see a promotional layout that uses a template, I might buy the template because I've seen it in action and liked it.

I just think templates used to be a big deal, but they're not anymore. I can't see why a designer would be bothered by her designs being promoted using a template; the end result is the same: her product is on display. As for template makers, they're getting exposure, too, even if their names aren't included in the kit promotion.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't mind if my team uses templates, but I do prefer for them to use ones that are available for purchase here, but I don't strictly enforce it.

Kate, as you mentioned in your post... I had a template designer a few years ago use her template with my kit in your product preview. Not one of her CT members, but her own example of how the template looked in action. TBH... I was a little annoyed. She could have easily given me credit on the preview if she wanted -- but that wasn't really my issue. I just would have liked her to email me and ask my permission. IMO what she did was using my products for advertising her's since she had the layout in the main preview along with the template. I never said anything... it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't even know if she is still selling templates and TBH I can't even remember her name now. It was a few years ago.

I also tend to agree with Miss Kim. I think I know what designer she is speaking of. If I was more organized and got my kits to my team well in advance I think I would have the same policy. If you get nitty-gritty with copyright laws... it is a very grey area. I personally do consider it as using another designer's product as advertising which would be a copyright no-no, and I know that most template designers don't mind -- but that still doesn't make it straight up legal.

TBH I get concerned if I put a layout in the store that uses another designer's product in it at all (unless they are from a designer here --- who I know doesn't have a problem with it). Yeah.... customers SHOULD look at the list of contents in the kit -- but that list is sometimes pretty long. A super cool alpha or maybe a tag in a layout might stand out to the customer as something they want -- and they assume it is in the kit. And it does happen. A few years ago I had a customer who saw one of the example layouts that had a scalloped edged page mat used that wasn't in the kit. It was one of my own designs... something I had sold separately at the time the kit released, but I had retired the scalloped edged papers before I retired the kit. It wasn't listed in the kit contents... but I didn't want to make a fuss over $6... so I just gave her a refund.

I honestly do not see an easy solution for this. Unless designers require CT members to ONLY use what is in that specific kit in their layouts (and NOTHING else) and not to use templates at all. To me that stifles creativity. I know I love to use templates as a starting point for layouts -- and sometimes I may want to add some stitching or a staple to my page that isn't in the kit. But then again... I scrap like 4 times a year (not 4 times a week like a lot of CT members do).

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth (inflation gets me half a cent).

Eva

Eva Kipler
BLOGSWEET SHOPPE STORE TWITTER FACEBOOK FAN PAGE NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

♥ SNAG IF YOU ARE A FAN! ♥ ------------->
Old 02-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I see less of a problem using a template for example layouts than I do with using products that aren't in the kit. When I do a CT page, I try to only use what was in the kit. I don't even like to necessarily pull from kits by that same designer, because I'd hate for a customer to look at my layout and think they were getting those stitches or that alpha when they aren't. They wouldn't assume they were getting a template (and really, would have no way to know I even used one unless they recognized it, kwim?).
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
My personal opinion is that it doesn't hurt sales for either one. If I see a promotional layout that I really like, I don't say, Ugh, that uses a template; I can't tell if I really like the kit or not. And likewise, if I see a promotional layout that uses a template, I might buy the template because I've seen it in action and liked it.

I just think templates used to be a big deal, but they're not anymore. I can't see why a designer would be bothered by her designs being promoted using a template; the end result is the same: her product is on display. As for template makers, they're getting exposure, too, even if their names aren't included in the kit promotion.
I agree with this-templates have come so far and most of the pages I make that I love the most anymore are templates...and that is important to me!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie4b1g View Post
I see less of a problem using a template for example layouts than I do with using products that aren't in the kit. When I do a CT page, I try to only use what was in the kit. I don't even like to necessarily pull from kits by that same designer, because I'd hate for a customer to look at my layout and think they were getting those stitches or that alpha when they aren't. They wouldn't assume they were getting a template (and really, would have no way to know I even used one unless they recognized it, kwim?).
I agree with this. For my CT pages, I desperately try to use ONLY what is in the kit, because I have been so disappointed in the past to find that pages I saw in the advertising of a kit included stuff that wasn't in the kit. Nothing sucks worse than seeing a CT layout advertising a kit, and loving a piece of it, only to find once I bought it that the piece I loved wasn't in there.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

GAH is that not stupid!!!!
whats wrong with a little added promotion from a template designer kwim?
my templates are so allowed to use with other designers or stores kits
PLUS, you can also use my templates to make quickpages, desktops, bragbooks etc etc for other designers whether you buy them from me or are on my CT and you can make quickpages to SELL also
no extra charge or anything
as long as your designer is OK with that, then have at it as far as usage with my templates
its just an added bonus
many of times i have bought a kit along with the template i was eyeballing so in the end i think it suits both designers
Old 02-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

on an added note LOL
i use non store kits in my previews ( though i usually add store product ones first) as both my stores i sell at are OPEN galleries meaning, you can post non store items there just no linking ( well mscraps you have to have something, in this case my template would be the item, the kit wouldnt but the kit name and designer would be credited) so its an extra gallery that the designer can get their kit viewed at
i dont require my team to use just the store i sell at kits or items
unless the store required it or was exclusive or had a rule of it
luckily they dont
i love being able to showcase how my templates can work with any kit or designer and i think my templates can also show how amazing kits look with my templates and how versatile kits can be with the use of a template
Old 02-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have been on a CT for a girl who worked for a store that I did not really shop at except for her templates. I loved her templates so it would have been a problem if I had to use stuff only from the store she sold at. I would have to buy stuff I wouldnt normally use in order to be on her team. That being said I always made sure to post the layout at the store where the designer sold whos kit I used to promote for her whether or not I was on her CT. That way even if someone could not get the credits from an ad for the template designer I was sstill giving the promotion and credit to the designer who made the kit I used.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

when i make pages with my own templates i do the same
i post at the store gallery where the designer i bought the kit from is
along with the other galleries i post at

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
I have been on a CT for a girl who worked for a store that I did not really shop at except for her templates. I loved her templates so it would have been a problem if I had to use stuff only from the store she sold at. I would have to buy stuff I wouldnt normally use in order to be on her team. That being said I always made sure to post the layout at the store where the designer sold whos kit I used to promote for her whether or not I was on her CT. That way even if someone could not get the credits from an ad for the template designer I was sstill giving the promotion and credit to the designer who made the kit I used.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
I agree with this. For my CT pages, I desperately try to use ONLY what is in the kit, because I have been so disappointed in the past to find that pages I saw in the advertising of a kit included stuff that wasn't in the kit. Nothing sucks worse than seeing a CT layout advertising a kit, and loving a piece of it, only to find once I bought it that the piece I loved wasn't in there.
And my dirty little secret of the day is, I get annoyed when my fellow CT members throw all sorts of stuff on their pages that wasn't from the kit. After I tried so hard to best showcase THAT KIT, which is what I feel my responsibility is.