Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-27-2018, 05:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default What to Expect?

I have a phone with video conference/interview tomorrow for a work at home position with Apple I'm so nervous for SO many reasons!! Has anyone ever done a video interview before? What should I expect? I know the email said that they need my driver's license to prove it's me and that they'll want to see my work space to make sure it's secluded, quiet and an appropriate "work from home" material. Outside of that, I have no idea what else they'll do or say.

I'm also worried that my cell coverage won't be able to video down in my basement, where my office is located. I'm worried that they'll tell me my area isn't "work from home" good enough. I'm also worried that my daughter won't watch my son good enough and he'll come in during the interview

Back to my original...anyone ever do a phone with video interview before? Do I hold my phone? Do I get a stand? What do I do? I never Facetime or Skype, that's just too weird for me, which is probably why this is very awkward for me in the first place!
Old 06-27-2018, 05:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No advice but congrats on the interview and sending good luck wishes your way!!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
No advice but congrats on the interview and sending good luck wishes your way!!
I appreciate it! I'm so nervous. If I got this job, it's a job that can move with me when my husband comes down on orders next summer. But it's also a hard job to get in to, many interview but only a few are selected
Old 06-27-2018, 07:08 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Good luck with the interview, Wendy! I have only done a phone interview, not a video one. I'd say keep calm, deep breaths and take a bit of time to think of your answers. *though it's so hard to do in reality!*
Old 06-27-2018, 07:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Good luck with the interview! I don't have any real advice, short of "Google is your friend." I'm sure there has to be good info online about what the proper protocol for video interviews is.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I really hope everything goes well, Wendy!!
Old 06-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My suggestions would to be to find a way to stablize the phone and to try and make your area bright so that they could see your setup. Best of Luck with the interview.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have Skyped on my laptop before for an interview. I made sure to test my set-up ahead of time & planned it for a time when someone could watch my children.

Make sure you smile during your interview. Like think, 'I should smile now.' Talk slower than you think you should/normally would. Pause to think of an answer vs. saying whatever might come out of your mouth because you're eager/nervous. Practice looking directly into the camera vs. checking out how you look while you interview.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:32 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Will you be on cell with the job? Or on a landline? Because that would be easy to explain, I'm sorry my cell isn't the best in the office where I would work. But that's why I have a landline for this job. Or whatever.
Definitely stress to your daughter how important it is that your son does not come down! Maybe even resort to bribery.
I've never done an interview like that, but if it were me, I would make sure there are no drinks or toys in the area by my workspace.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2018, 02:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestcee View Post
Will you be on cell with the job? Or on a landline? Because that would be easy to explain, I'm sorry my cell isn't the best in the office where I would work. But that's why I have a landline for this job. Or whatever.
Definitely stress to your daughter how important it is that your son does not come down! Maybe even resort to bribery.
I've never done an interview like that, but if it were me, I would make sure there are no drinks or toys in the area by my workspace.

Good luck!
Well I thought I was going to be on my cell phone, but after talking to someone who has landed the position, they told me to get a webcam. So tonight I went out and bought a webcam. I've never used one before so I'm trying to learn it tonight before my interview. So since the computer is hardwired (one of the requirements for the job), my internet speed will be good for the interview!

My girls know to keep their brother up on the second floor. I've bribed him with his ipad, so hopefully that will keep him quiet. The girls barely make a sound, so I don't think they'll be a problem.

As far as the room. I took photos and redid everything that was "questionable". I even put up blinds and curtains (because that's a no-no for safety issues). According to the people who landed the job, my working space is very good. It's just a matter of me passing the interview.

I did get a hold of the interview questions. So I've been reading over them and learning the "key words" that they are looking for. Tomorrow I'll go over them a few more times so I feel a little bit more prepared.

I've never done this video thing before---I did Facetime with my real life best friend, Dawn (aussiegirl) tonight and that was SO strange!

LeAndra, I've been told to smile. I have a post it note on my monitor that says smile, slow down, don't look down--keep eye focus. Hopefully that post-it note will be the reminder of what I need to do while trying to come up with the right words.

It's late. I need to try to get some rest.

Thank you all for the good words of encouragement and helpful hints. I really do appreciate it! Here's hoping I land the job because while it would be awesome to do a work at home job, it would be even better to have that extra income as well as the employee discount and getting my own mac computer!
Old 06-28-2018, 06:59 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Best wishes on the interview Wendy!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:06 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sending more well wishes your way. You got this!!!
Old 06-28-2018, 01:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Let us know how it goes, Wendy!!
Old 06-28-2018, 06:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Today was SUCH a rush!!! My daughter had a dentist appointment at 10 and my interview was at 11:15. I got home at 11, kicked the kids upstairs and came down to my computer to see my email say "log in 15-20 minutes earlier to ensure connection to your interview" :O Thankfully for me, I connected with no issues, read over my notes and about 5-minutes later a lady came on for the interview!

We talked for about 45-minutes. She roleplayed scenarios of phone calls, asked a dozen different questions. At the end of the interview, she said my starting pay was $2.00 more than the initial offer (yay). I start July 9, and then that week, I'll get all my Apple products to learn for my Training Orientation on July 16th where I'll officially start training full time days. When I applied, I signed up for afternoon/evenings but the training is 8am - 5pm Tuesday through Saturday, which leaves me with a LOT of scheduling conflicts for my daughter who needs to be taken and picked up at the local college 4 days a week. Training also go through the end of August, possible early September, which conflicts with me getting my kids to school (they start 8/13 and 8/15) in the morning. We are scrambling, trying to get everything situated to make this work!!

So fingers crossed (or prayers would be appreciated) for us to be able to figure out transportation for the kids to make this job work because with two with braces, one needing wisdom teeth removed and major dental work, we could use the extra dental insurance and money to pay down the debt of our daughter's dental work a lot quicker than anticipated!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Congrats on getting the job, Wendy! I hope you get everything else figured out, because it sounds perfect for what you need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2018, 08:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Congrats on getting the job, Wendy! I hope you get everything else figured out, because it sounds perfect for what you need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is one of those jobs that is perfect for our family's situation. I'm able to be home should there be an emergency, especially when my husband goes away, and still be able to bring in a steady, weekly income to help cover all those kids dental work!
Old 06-28-2018, 09:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

CONGRATS!!! That is fantastic news!
Old 06-28-2018, 09:51 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Congratulations on getting the job, Wendy!!! I am so happy for you!
Old 06-28-2018, 10:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Congrats Wendy! And I hear you on the orthodontics - I have two going through that at the moment.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:24 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Congrats!!!
Old 06-29-2018, 12:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Huge congrats Wendy! That is so awesome! Prayers you all will be able to figure out scheduling and it will all work! So happy for you!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 06-29-2018, 08:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm just reading this now but I wanted to say congratulations! I'm so excited for you that you got the job. Sending prayers that everything works out with transportation/scheduling so it will work for you.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Congratulations
Old 07-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you guys! We are trying to figure out the kids school schedules sorted so that I can move forward with this job.

I submitted a bunch of documentation on Friday, was supposed to get a follow-up email that needed to be finished by tomorrow. I never got it. I called them today and they are closed :O I'm really hoping I can get all the documentation filled out as well as figure out all the kids schooling dilemma situation so that I can start my first day on July 9th!
Old 07-01-2018, 09:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Congratulations !!! I am so thrilled for you!!!
Old 07-02-2018, 12:07 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Congrats Wendy!!
Old 07-02-2018, 02:33 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Congratulations on the job! Things will work out as needed.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Congratulations Wendy! When I had a similar situation getting my son every where he needed to be, I hired someone to drive him. The extra money was worth it in the long run for me.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
Congratulations Wendy! When I had a similar situation getting my son every where he needed to be, I hired someone to drive him. The extra money was worth it in the long run for me.
I'm currently trying to get the school's transportation to drop them off at a friend's house on post (we out of bounds our children to school and we are required to provide transportation). If they allow that, our friend said she'll keep both kids (one is done at 2:20 and the other is done at 3:20, and my husband can pick them up at 5, after work)

I can drive my oldest to college in the morning (once I go afternoon/evening shift), and there is a lady who is willing to carpool with me to pick her daughter and mine up in the afternoon if I drive her daughter to the college in the morning as well.

IF the transportation office says yes, the younger/school kids are good to go. IF they say no, I might have to decline the position because I can't find someone willing to drive to my son's school, pick him up at 2:20, drive over to the college to pick my oldest up at 3:15 (she can't drive, she's only 16) and then drive a half-hour away to pick my middle up at the high school at 3:30 (yes, they will always be late due to the timing, but she knows she has 15 minutes after school before I can pick her up). That's a lot of driving for a friend, who all of my friends already have kiddos in school and are either picking them up or waiting for the bus to drop them off. So I NEED transportation to say yes!
Old 07-02-2018, 02:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Congrats, Wendy! Fingers crossed you get all the transportation kinks worked out. What kinds of tasks would you be doing with this job? Sounds like a perfect fit for you!