Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Hybrid Chatter
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife
Default Hybrid help

I've scrapped, I think 2 paper pages. I have no idea what I need, but on Sunday I'm going to Michaels!!!

I am guessing I'm looking for modge podge, I'm planning a book, so perhaps I'll need a board book also LOL. Is there anything else you crafters can recommend? I'm really really interested in getting into some hybrid stuff!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

real ribbon..all kinds of colors and fasteners like keyring hooks, etc just to have on hand..beads!! FLOWERS..ummmm an exacto knife and a slicer thingy

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 03-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

seriously just ask for a slicer thingy..they will know haha...like a straight edge razor thingy

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

So is this hybrid going to use up my budget? LOL!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

prolly lol..but see my real life budget isn't the same as my digi one lol...just tell yourself that!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ok...so now I need two separate budgets. I'm sure Tony will be happy about that ROFL!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with all that stuff too...I also suggest some of those really cute 3-D stickers from Jolee's Boutique too (if they go with your layout!!) Flowers are a must of course and there are some really great stamps out there too. I like to use them with the chalk ink pads, it gives it a really neat vintage look... Good Luck and have fun at Michael's, try not to get overwhelmed it can be a bit intimidating...

Proudly creating for:
LCC by Amy Stoffel, Cori Gammon, DIGI SCRAP ADDICTS Site CT,
Faith True, Geek Chic Scraps, Jac Bernardo, Laura Banasiak, Litabells Designs, Kelley Mickus, Micheline Martin Designs, Nikki Epperson,
Penny Springmann, SCRAP ORCHARD Site CT, THE DAILY SCRAPPER Site CT
Old 03-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

You'll need other adhesives besides modge podge if you're using other things besides paper. Double-sided tape...maybe a glue gun, depends on the size of the objects. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

You don't need to buy chipboard just to make books. Alter a composition notebook, or any kinda of notebook you can find. Michael's usually has a bunch in their dollar bin that are great for list making (I'm a list maker, it's how I Think, lol).

I adore any kind of distressing ink. Those cat's eye chalk sets are awesome for distressing too. I personally use the Tombow roller for my adhesive, but scotch double sided tape works awesome too. I'm addicted to Prima's paper flowers, but they don't sell at Michael's so you're safe. The dollar bin is also great for ribbons, I love ribbons. I have 2 giant jars and then some.

Ummmmm what else.......Like Meg said, get some binder rings, those are great to have handy to put together mini-albums. I have these chipboard sets that I'm making a hybrid notebook with next week, totally recomment those if you're into albums.

I'm sure there's more, but I don't want your head to explode
Old 03-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm excited about trying something, you guys make such nice stuff. I'd like to try now, so by Christmas I will be good enough at it to make gifts LOL
Old 03-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

a crop a dile! so you can punch through the chipboard . . . and it will punch through a CD (which is as far as I got with mine)

I am hybrid-clueless though

Can't wait to see what you make!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodoNY0123 View Post
I have these chipboard sets that I'm making a hybrid notebook with next week, totally recomment those if you're into albums.
Col, did you find those in an actual store or did you buy them online?

oh Jamie, my Michael's will take Jo-Ann coupons if you happen to have any . . .
Old 03-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

WARNING ON MODGE PODGE...
I'm not really sure why modge podge madness seems to be flying around town.

2 of my concerns (and yes, I've used modge podge before so I speak from experience - I mean that in a nice way...it sounds so snotty ):
1. Even when it is dry it can still be sticky. For example, if it's in the sunlight (or ANY kind of heat) and you have modge podge on pages of an album you'll find that the pages stick together.
2. I would check the label to make sure it's acid free.

The slicer thing being referred to is the paper cutter. ;-) I've owned a few in my day and I love my Cutterpede has been my favorite. I had problem with the crappy blade on the Fiskars one and it never cut exactly straight. Again, I'd recommend the Cutterpede. It looks like this:
http://myscrapsandscribbles.com/stor...on=show_detail

Yes, this will break the bank! If you're going to Michael's those 40% off coupon ads they run are ESSENTIAL!

I would recommend not going crazy and buying everything you see that excites you at once. For example, I love chipboard letters that come in a lot of colors. However, I have never bought any b/c I can't afford it! And if you just buy plain, uncolored chipboard you can always purchase cheap acrylic paint and paint them any color you want!

If you like a little sparkle you can buy some of the really fine glitter in the stamping section to jazz up your elements!

Here's what the crop-a-dile someone mentioned (mimi I think?) looks like:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd61518

I LOVE my Cutter Bee retractable "x-acto" knife. BRILLIANT! It looks like this:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd48014

Sandpaper is handy if you want to distress anything yourself. And I also like inking my edges as Colleen mentioned but I have to say I prefer the Versa Dew Drops to the Cat Eye's (only b/c I find that the foam has separated from the base a few times in my experience from the plastic holder on the Cat Eyes).

And those photo mounting squares are ESSENTIAL for adhering photos, paper, anything. And I LOVE my glue dots!

GOOD LUCK!!

Edited: Modge Podge definitely has it's place! If you are embellishing a box or a canvas I will agree that it's great for that kind of application! (love ya Col!)

Last edited by MikkelPaige; 03-03-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:21 PM

profile gallery send pm

You hush Mikkel, I've used ModPodge millions of times with no problems :P

Mimi I bought mine in a Joann store, but I'm almost positive I saw them in Michael's as well. DCWV is a popular company in the craft stores.

Joann's also takes any competitor's coupon as well.

And, I my crop-o-dile
Old 03-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

hmm, I wonder if Mikkel lives in a more humid area and that causes more stickiness?

gosh if I have this much fun talking about hybrid maybe I should actually do a project . . .

oh and I've had 2 Fiskars slicer thingies . . . and they suck!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:48 PM

profile gallery send pm

That cutter bee retractable exacto is awesome.

And I don't put stuff in the sun, soooooo there
Old 03-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I love and adore my crop o dile. It's my favorite tool.

Jamie, buy glue. lots of glue. I always run out of glue in the middle of something. so annoying. I heart the tombow roller. There's also a xyron roller thing. I don't really like the liquid glues although I did discover something this weekend called zip dry, and I heart it too.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Michael's is sure to be running coupons off each week this month, as it is national crafting month in March. So get the Cutterpede paper cutter one week (you'll need that earlier on) - and get the regular one, not the one that has 5 different attachments. The next week get the Crop-A-Dile. Those are two essential tools. Adhesive is a preferential thing - some people swear by Tombow, some by Duck, some by Hermafix, and so on. But definitely get a dry adhesive for your paper other than your outside cover. While Mod Podge is great, if you use it on a lot of pages, it can get a bit bulky and if there's high humidity in your area they will stick a bit to each other. And buy at least one refill for the dry adhesive. Also, if you plan to add paper flowers or buttons or other similar ephemera, buy some Zots - dimensional glue dots. They work really well with heavier and/or bulky embellishments.
I think what you need beyond that is up to what you want to create. M's does sell board books, but those only have a few pages in them, but are good for cute keepsake or brag books. If you are looking to make a book to write like a journal, then cheap composition books that you can get at Target, WalMart or grocery stores will do just fine. Making Memories also makes cute little books for paper scrappers that sometimes M's sells (depending on the Michaels staff).
Also if you like the slightly shabby look, you could invest in distressing ink (I suggest black soot, walnut ink or tea stain as the basic colors) and/or a sanding block.
If you're in the US, without taxes, the prices would be:
Cutterpede - $20-22, $12-13 with 40% coupon
Crop-A-Dile - $26, $15.60 with 40% coupon
Dry Adhesive - $6(Tombow)-$12(Hermafix)
Zots - $4
Board Book - $6-9
Mod Podge - $3-8 (depending on the size)
Sanding Block - $3-4
Distressing Ink - $5
Hope that helps!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 03-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You've got some great suggestions Jamie! One other thing I have that I love is my Xyron Cheetah adhesive runner, it comes in a 2" size and a 4" size. I have the 2" one and want to get the larger one. The refills are pretty reasonably priced too. These are great for adhering pages to chipboard albums and board books!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow, you girls make me want to shop more for DH for me!!!! There have been some really great suggestions here. I too love my Xyron and I also buy glue sticks by the dozen....I love my Zots and now I think I need to buy a Crop-A-Dile and a new paper cutter too. I have had 3 so far and they all suck so I will take your advise and get the Cutterpede. I have a birthday coming up in 22 days so I will ask for those for sure...Thanks for the great info you crazy scrappin chicks!!!!!

Proudly creating for:
LCC by Amy Stoffel, Cori Gammon, DIGI SCRAP ADDICTS Site CT,
Faith True, Geek Chic Scraps, Jac Bernardo, Laura Banasiak, Litabells Designs, Kelley Mickus, Micheline Martin Designs, Nikki Epperson,
Penny Springmann, SCRAP ORCHARD Site CT, THE DAILY SCRAPPER Site CT
Old 03-04-2008, 02:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

wow, I think Leslie is a hybrid shopping pro!

Does Michael's mail out coupons? Or are they just in the Sunday paper?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my poor brain! LOL!

I don't have to worry about humidity. It is COLD here, even in summer it's not humid often. Our Michael's is pretty big, so I'm hoping I can find what I need in there. I did go crazy when I decided to paper scrap and bought a lot of stuff, but I am confident it's not enough
Old 03-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Yeah Mikkel lives down here with me in "humidity central" (Florida) so that may be why she doesn't like the Modge Podge as much. I used it on a bottle that I covered that sits in my laundry room to collect change and it does have a slight tackiness to it when it's hot outside (which is just about all the time).

Old 03-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh yeah, it never gets that hot here LOL
Old 03-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As far as I know, Michael's only has the coupons in the Sunday paper. I know we used to get them in the weekly circulars you get in the mailbox, but they don't do that anymore here in OH. I now supplement with Archiver's coupons, but you need to be on their mailing list for those. They sometimes have 30% off one item for a given month.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 AM

profile gallery send pm

Michael's also has coupons in the scrap magazines sometimes. Like Creating Keepsakes, Simple Scrapbooks, Scrapbooks Etc, etc etc.

For both ACMoore and Joann's I get circulars wtih coupons as well as emails with coupons I can use online, or print out in store. I pretty much never shop without a coupon. Although I do run into the problem of buying mostly stuff that's onsale and then using my coupon on a $3 adhesive refiller, but whatever :P
Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i don't know if anyone has a Hobby Lobby like i do, but i went yesterday and they are having 50% off some of their chipboard letters and their stickers. they always have nice 50%off sales on their scrapbooking stuff here and there througout the year. i'm always there. i've been to a Michaels before and love them, but don't know if i have one around here, i'll have to look. i'm learning a lot of stuff from this thread, lol.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

A little tip on the Michael's coupons...if you don't have one tell the cashier you forgot yours at home and ask if you can sign for one. It's just a sheet of paper that asks for your name, reason for requesting coupon, and your zip code. They can't volunteer that sheet but if you ask for it, they should provide it as long as they are running an ad that week. (I used to work there.) *Warning* It varies from store to store, depends on the manager. Some are really mean and refuse to provide it, but most stores have the sheet ready for customers at the registers.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am in AZ where it is DRY so I haven't had the tackiness from Mod Podge. I mainly use it on really 3-D objects though. I haven't completed a board book, but when I did my altered journal I found that it didn't stay glued down. I tend to use very thin coats so that may be why.

I asked for the Xyron 9000 for Chirstmas and it is my new best friend when I need full coverage ahdesive.

I bought myself a crop-a-dile and was amazed at how easily it punched. When I made my paper bag album it was a breeze to punch all the layers at once.

I also picked up a bone folder recently because I was doing the gift punches and wanted a clean fold.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Jamie,

If you go over to the Hawt Mama Team Blog and look at the altered stuff you can probably get a good list from the supplies we use over and over!

HTH!

Have fun!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have no advice, but this stuff sounds like so much fun, Jamie! Be sure to post pics of whatever you make, k?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

With all the Michaels and LSS nearby, I really should not be reading this thread! And here I'd pretty much convinced myself there was no way I'd venture into hybrid anytime soon. Now I'm finding myself certain I can't live without a Cropadile and a Cutterpede... and maybe that nifty retractable exacto... *sigh*

We usually get a Michael's flyer with the coupons. I've never had any trouble when I ask at the cashier though. I've never checked, but does their website have online flyers you could print the coupon from? Anyway, it's always for one regular priced item, so I second what was said about buying one big thing each week.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:43 PM

profile gallery send pm

No, Michael's doesn't offer the coupons online. And you can't sign up for emails from them to get extras like you can with ACMoore and Joann.

ETA:I got the Purple Cow dual trimmer for myself for Christmas and I it almost as much as my crop-o-dile
Old 03-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'd like to make a CD album as my first official hybrid project, what adhesive is reccomended?
Old 03-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I make a CD type album I use 5" circles cut from sheets of chipboard instead of CD's (cheaper for me) and I always just use Mod Podge with no problems. I think if you use CD's you'll want to rough them up first with a sanding block to help whatever adhesive you use stick to the slick surface better.