Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Long Term Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm
Question Question for PL Hybrid

Hi, I want to do a Project Life book this year and I'm still deciding on the size, but what I do know is I want to do a hybrid version just so I can stick mementos into the pages for safe keeping that I normally stick in a box and forget about (oops!). My question is how do you print your pictures, cards, etc.? Do you just use presentation paper or matte even for the photos? What pens work best to write on them (another reason I want to do hybrid is to include my own writing/drawings if I want)? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use presentation paper matte or bright white cardstock. I haven't done much photo printing at home, I usually order my prints from Sam's Club just to save on ink. I use the project life brand journal pens and love them, have heard great things about sharpie pens too, but have not had the best luck with them myself. I love doing this project in hybrid, it's so great printing photos regularly and a great motivation to hot down our memories.

I'd link you to some things but I am on my phone! I'm sure others will chime in with great suggestions!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 01-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use Wausau/Neenah Bright White Cardstock for printing cards and other printables... my photos I send off to Costco for printing... we do most of our grocery shopping there, so it's just part of my weekly routine...
Old 01-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I use cardstock (the kind i've been using is @office or something here at walmart in canada) for printing my cards and such and then photo printing online : )

It has seriously given me this new love of all the digi stuff I have in my stash - it sounds so crazy but printing and cutting out the cards is so therapeutic LOL
Old 01-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I use cardstock (the kind i've been using is @office or something here at walmart in canada) for printing my cards and such and then photo printing online : )

It has seriously given me this new love of all the digi stuff I have in my stash - it sounds so crazy but printing and cutting out the cards is so therapeutic LOL
it really is... even though I have the Silhouette do most of my cutting... there is just something I really love about sitting down and putting it all together...
Old 01-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I think too, it makes you appreciate how special digital product is.. there is SO much talent out there that is stuck on computer screens. It is LOVELY to see stuff online but seeing it printed out like this is sorta wow.. to me
Old 01-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This year is my first year, but I've made some decisions about what I'll be using based off of other projects I've done in the past. I'm going to print on bright white cardstock, since it works so well for other projects I've used it for, so I know how the quality works with my printer. I'll likely order photos from Walgreens just because the quality isn't bad and there are ALWAYS coupons for their quickprints. While I'm sure there are other (more expensive) places I could order prints from that have higher quality, for a long-term project designed to give an overview of life for us, I'm okay with just doing those prints. If I have a photo I love, I can always do a layout otherwise and print it somewhere with better quality.
For writing, I'll likely just use my glue/pen from my smashbook. I want to say they sell the pens separately, but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't had good luck with Sharpie pens on cardstock (I feel like it smudges), but I may give it another try.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 01-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I think too, it makes you appreciate how special digital product is.. there is SO much talent out there that is stuck on computer screens. It is LOVELY to see stuff online but seeing it printed out like this is sorta wow.. to me
totally... and I bet more so for you seeing your designs in print
Old 01-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have some white cardstock already but I have to print out a few pics first and my ink is almost gone. I already started finding supplies though and have some ideas for the first week. I can't wait until my ink comes so I can start printing and making pages!
Old 01-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It really is such a fun process!! I just really started to get seriously into hybrid when I got my new printer but had dabbled in it before. Now that I've discovered the beauty of being able to select whatever gorgeous designs I want for each week and have them in my hands pretty much instantly...I'm hooked forever!

I hope you enjoy (and share your progress!!) your hybrid journey!!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 01-13-2014, 10:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I couldn't find a local printer that had decent prints, so I print all my PL photos at Persnickety Prints. I print a draft of all my pictures on regular printer paper using the lowest ink setting so that I have something in my album every week and I can plan out my spreads and do my journaling cards. I order the photos monthly and finish the spreads when I get the photos back.

I tend to use the PL core kits instead of doing true hybrid, but the cards I do print are on regular card stock from Walmart usually. I've also used the Bazzill Orange Peel paper because of the awesome texture, but it's not quite white and I like the white cards in PL.

I got the PL pen set - there are pens in it for both writing on paper and on photos and they've worked well for me so far.