Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-28-2015, 09:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Lunch Ideas

I am ok with breakfast, snacks and dinner but struggle to sort out lunch especially when I have university. I am not a cook by any stretch of the imagination so I need easy healthy lunches that are portable and not need any heating when I am at school.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 06-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just signed this book out of the library and it has lots of yummy ideas:

But here are a few other packable ideas:

Mains
- bagel-wich with cream cheese, thinly sliced red onion, smoked turkey (or ham or chicken), and a bit of cranberry sauce
- tuna salad sandwich on whole wheat with lettuce and tomato
- garden salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrot, etc.) topped with crumbled hard boiled egg and a homemade vinaigrette
- greek salad (romaine, black olives, feta, red onion, cucumber) with diced cooked chicken
- egg salad sandwich with lettuce and tomato on bun
- cold meatloaf sandwich on soft bread
- cobb salad (romaine, diced cooked turkey, cheese cubes, hard boiled eggs, bacon, tomato) with homemade ranch dressing or a vinaigrette

A deli rotisserie chicken can go a long way for lunches too - turn it into chicken salad for sandwiches or to top on salad, add slices/cubes to any green salad, add into a pasta salad, etc. If you have a thermos to keep things warm, you can also make quick homemade soups with rotisserie chicken or chicken chili, etc. and pack it for lunch.

I keep a list on my phone with these categories and then when I'm shopping I make sure to pick a mix from each category for snacks:

Fruits - berries, melon, pineapple, oranges, apples, bananas, etc.
Veggies - carrot sticks, celery, bell pepper, cucumber, etc.
Protein - hard boiled eggs, cooked chicken, cheese, greek yogurt, etc.
Healthy fats - olives, seeds, etc.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have specific food suggestions, but we have some thermos-brand food containers that keep food hot. I use them to send things like hot soup or pasta to school with my kids.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wraps are a good one. Or a flask of soup or noodles with some bread is nice in the winter.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My go-to portable lunch is a wrap of some kind. I don't eat meat or dairy but here are some of my fillings:

Tortilla spread with refried beans and topped with black beans, greens/lettuce, corn, tomatoes, chopped onion, and topped with salsa.

Tortilla spread with BBQ sauce and topped with greens/lettuce, black beans, pineapple, chopped onion.

Tortilla spread with hummus and topped with chickpeas, greens/lettuce, shredded carrots, bell pepper strips, and topped with home made nondairy ranch dressing.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

My go to grab and go lunch is -- A whole wheat / flour tortilla (or any kind you prefer) spread with cream cheese and salsa and topped with shredded taco blend or mexican blend cheese and optional chopped black olives. I then roll it as tightly as possible and then cut into bite sized rounds which I call Fiesta bites! So yummy!

Old 06-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I bring lunch to work everyday. My norms are either a salad or leftovers. Lately though I have been eating celery with Laughing Cow cheese, cherry tomatoes with some Goddess dressing, peanuts and string cheese. It's easy, healthy and fills me up. My son is a big fan of pepperoni/meat sticks, Babybel cheese and crackers.