Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default Tell me about living in Portland, OR...

What do you love or not love about it?

ETA: The one in OREGON

Last edited by pixelstix; 01-10-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Do you mean Portland, Maine or Portland, Oregon?
Old 01-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was just going to ask the same thing. I can tell you all about Portland, Maine but I know nothing about Portland, Oregon!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I visited Portland, Oregon once and I was car sick every time I went somewhere because the roads where so windy.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hi there!! Welcome to SSD.
I've been to Portland, Oregon (my inlaws live there). It's absolutely gorgeous but you need to be able to tolerate the rain!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep - depends on which Portland you mean, lol. I lived across the river from Portland OR (in Vancouver WA) for 90% of my life. But I know NOTHING about Maine
Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't been there but your thread made me think of the TV show Portlandia, especially this song: http://www.hulu.com/watch/205428/por...eam-of-the-90s

Are you thinking of moving there? Where would you be moving from?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm in Portland and would be happy to answer any questions you might have. I've lived here most of my life (except college) and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL! Lynette I haven't seen that but OMG its funny! Um and just a whole lot true! LOL! I live over the river in Vancouver, but my hubby works in Portland and we go there often, I really do love living close by. There is a great artsy/urban feel to it and its fun for a night out- but I wouldn't really chose to live in the city.-but I have young children and probably wouldn't chose to live in the middle of any city. LOL! Downtown is very eclectic and interesting... there are gems like Voodoo Donuts (PORTLAND MUST), Powell's Bookstore (best bookstore EVER), lots of indie music and entertainment, really good and eclectic food (our fave thing is to go find a new restaurant to try). But yeah watch the video cause that is pretty much what walking in Portland feels like, especially to someone who is new to it LOL!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Sorry to post and run. I know, there are a ton of Portlands. But I mean the big one... Oregon
Old 01-10-2012, 07:40 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I live in the Portland area. I've lived here about 15 years now. If you want a happy report, don't keep reading.

It's not a place I'd recommend personally. Businessweek named Portland the unhappiest city in 2009, and things haven't changed. The cost of living is high because of housing costs, our unemployment is over 9%, the skys are most often grey (data shows an average of 222 grey days a year), rain is plentiful, traffic is pretty awful, and it's not a warm fuzzy friendly atmosphere. The positives are that it's a very accepting environment, there is quite a bit of progressiveness (ok, that can be bad too), our green lush trees are wonderful, mild weather, no sales tax, and if you love rain and grey you'll be thrilled. The area outside of Portland is beautiful- mountains and beaches are a couple hours away. But, hey, after 15 years I'm still living here so there must be something going for Portland. LOL
Old 01-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Jubitz truck stop is pretty awesome & there is an awesome fireworks display you can see on the 4th of July.

(we visited both when we were still trucking)
Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

my in laws have lived there most of their life and we visit often and I absolutely love it there....but of coarse I spent 20 years in the Navy and settled in WA so I don't think it is much different. I think the summers are better in OR than WA and there is lots of green trees and fresh air...you can camp or ski or hike or do just about anything outdoorsy.... I also think it depends on what your level of income is and where you might be living My in laws live in Milwaukie OR, which is a nice little suburd of Portland
Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Personally - I can't stand Portland, lol. I like to go there for shopping sometimes because of the no sales tax (plus they have stores that Vancouver doesn't have). But I LOVE Vancouver (it's right across the river in Washington). I don't want to live anywhere else (even though I have lived elsewhere and currently do live in New Mexico).

I've heard there are really great places to live, but all I ever hear on the news is the bad places, lol (but that's just how the news is - they always talk about the bad stuff). So if you're planning on living there - research where the bad sections are and avoid them I will say that the news talks constantly of failing Portland schools. I've never researched it, so I don't know the particulars - but the stuff I've heard makes me shake my head in disbelief.

If it's a work issue, you can easily live in any of the surrounding cities and commute - most of the jobs my hubby had were over in Portland. I do love living NEXT to it though! A lot actually You have all the advantages of a huge city. An international airport, a huge arena (the Rose Garden) where all the big music names come and play in, art, dancing, fine dining, movies being made there (not many, but more than I thought there'd be). Hockey - if that's your thing. And basketball (Portland Trail Blazers).

And my favorite - there is beauty every way you turn! There are gorgeous waterfalls, and rivers, and viewpoints. There's some awesome history in the area due to the Lewis & Clark trail going through there. It's 3hrs (or so) from Seattle. Less than 2hrs to the coast. If you like skiing, Mt. Hood is insanely popular. And if you've ever heard of Mt. Saint Helens (it erupted back in 1980) is is an amazing site to see up close. Both of those mountains are backdrops of the area.... I really miss it like crazy!!

I don't know what you were wanting to know about Portland, but hopefully some of what I wrote helps
Old 01-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

All of this helps a lot thanks!

Julie, you're probably only the second resident I've asked who doesn't recommend the area. All of this is very helpful as we're exploring this option, I want to hear the goods and the bads.

I've heard great things about Vancouver, but I've also heard that commute into Portland is unbearable. DH hates any commute, so if it was insane he wouldn't go for it at all! We've been looking more in the Portland suburbs to see about potential areas to live in.

I think the emphasis on the outdoors and healthy food, etc. is a big draw for us. We like that it's less conservative too. I don't know if we'd mind the rain. We like the sunshine (who doesn't?) but we live in the South where it's suffocatingly humid all summer, so we feel like we could do without that I don't know if we have an accurate picture though... some people say it doesn't feel gray and gloomy all the time, and others say it's just depressing.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Lisa my DH commutes to Portland from Vancouver and I think it really just depends on where and when. He used to work on the waterfront and really had to time when he left from work to avoid traffic. Now he works over by the airport and its maybe a 10-15 min commute and he hardly meets traffic. We used to live in the Tigard area (south of Portland) and decided to move North rather than commute from the south. That is where the real mess is. I have lived in the Portland area my entire life and honestly they grey doesn't bother me. People will say it rains all year and thats not really true. We definitely have three distinct seasons, it just rains most of the Spring, Fall and Winter. LOL! In general the weather is pretty mild over all and since I really haven't known anything better its just normal for me. The Summers here can be really beautiful... mild and in the 70s/80s. Its close to the beach and the mountains and you really don't understand "green" until you have been here for an Oregon spring.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Dani! I'm wondering if I should stop asking for opinions because I keep getting so many conflicting ones! Someone else told me that coming over the bridge was just insane and that you should never live in Vancouver and work in Portland! lol That's helpful to know that there are other areas further from the city that we can look at. We've been looking at homes in Beaverton area, I have a friend there who recommends it.

Mostly right now, we're trying to see if it makes any sense for us to relocate there. The jobs look very promising for his field. He's a technical guy in a very non-technical town and we're just exploring options outside of here, wondering if here is a dead-end for him careerwise. Portland seems to be a good fit for his career, but it will depend on what kind of response he gets as he applies, I suppose.

The rain thing kind of has us both torn. I really don't know how it would affect me. I love light and I have a hard time when it's super dark and gray (we get pretty intense storms here in the south) but is it really GRAY all the time, all day long for most of the days in those seasons?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmm...Yeah, I guess it's pretty gray - during the rainy seasons. So end of fall, winter and then early spring (although ... I really don't remember the grey in early spring. Rain yes, but I see white clouds and sun breaks in my mind's eye, so I really think it's just end of fall, winter and then random days after that). We get a decent summer in my opinion, and when it's sunny - everyone enjoys it all the more because of the rain I like the clouds because I have really sensitive eyes - so it helps me a LOT to have clouds. There are plenty of white clouds, lol - they're not always grey. It can get depressing I suppose ... But looking at the beauty around usually fixes that for me. But I don't really think it's depressing, but that's just me

The commute from Vancouver to Portland (and back again) is 100% dependent on when, where - and what bridge you need to use. You'd learn which freeways to use - and which to avoid (and if you can't avoid them...then for sure, it can be slow going for a while). You'd learn when it was the worst time to drive, and when things speed up a little more. If he works later into the evening for example, then it will be a LOT easier. And using 205 bridge will be a LOT better than the I5 bridge (THOUGH! There is talk, and has been talk for a while now, of a new I5 bridge being built. I don't know how it's coming along, but it's been in the works for a few years now. I know they're trying to fix the I5 commute problem, it just takes time).

I'm pretty sure you'll find conflicting reports no matter where you look to move to. It's so dependent on what you like and don't like. Where the job(s) are located. How much you wanna spend on daily living. What kind of surroundings you prefer. I'm sure you understand You'd never convince me to live in Portland, lol. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be beyond perfect for you! Kinda like people that live in NYC can't imagine not living there - but a country girl would think NYC lacks everything that makes a home a home (ie: yards, lol)
Old 01-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I lived in Portland, OR for about 7 years. I love that city!

(Before that I was in Seattle which was much bigger. After living in Seattle, Portland was like a small town. So some of your experience might depend on where you are moving from!)

It is a WONDEFUL place to have small kids. I'm so glad I was there when my son was small. Lots of resources: zoo, children's museum, incredible science museum (all with awesome summer camps). Lots of green space in the city and surrounding areas, that is really accesible. Great bike paths along the river too. Plus you can drive out of the city and be in farmland in about 20 minutes.

I personally, lived in the suburbs west of the city (specifically Beaverton). IMHO better schools, better Parks & Rec departement (which is one of the most comprehensive I've ever seen. Tons of kids programs, adults fitness programs, camps, etc...). And the library....I LOVE LOVE LOVE the library there. Unless you like the 'city vibe' I personally wouldn't choose to live on the East side of the river.

The weather: I grew up in the Northwest so it was no big deal. Gets some rain...can be a bit dreary by the end of spring when you are waiting for summer. But summer is beautiful. July, August...totally lovely. Never really gets that miserable heat or humidity that some places do. And fall is quiet pleasant too. We spent lots of time outside in fall evenings. I would definately say the weather is better than Seattle. In my experience the weather systems in Seattle bump into the Cascade Mountains and just park there on the city. That can be gloomy. In Portland the weather seemed to move through the city (since there isn't quite the same mountains to the east). I never felt like the weather systems just sat there and parked on top of Portland for what seemed like forever.

I would totally recommend Portland and definately Beaverton!!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 AM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelstix View Post
Julie, you're probably only the second resident I've asked who doesn't recommend the area. All of this is very helpful as we're exploring this option, I want to hear the goods and the bads.
Glad I didn't scare you off! I know the tourism dept isn't going to be hiring me anytime soon. Please know I'm really sensitive to those gloomy grey skies, and I'd love to see more sun. That completely colors my opinion of the area. I always joke I am solar powered because the grey just zaps me. The biggest way to combat that would be to get a house with LOTS of natural light. You want to get every bit of sun you can. This is a challenge due to our awesome evergreen trees, but definitely hunt for a home with great light.

I live on the Portland East Side, so I don't know much about Beaverton as it's the West Side. You could google Portland traffic and watch our traffic cams during rush hour times if that is a deal breaker for you and your husband. I commuted the I-84 and I-205 for years and the traffic doesn't bother me, but it's the biggest complaint of my friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelstix
The rain thing kind of has us both torn. I really don't know how it would affect me. I love light and I have a hard time when it's super dark and gray (we get pretty intense storms here in the south) but is it really GRAY all the time, all day long for most of the days in those seasons?
yes, it's grey a lot. It's not the rain so much, but the constant grey that gets to you. We don't really get "storms". Pretty rare for thunderstorms and such, but overcast skies are typical from October to May. Our nice months are July-Sept. Our weather is very mild. Snow is rare. Heat over 100 is rare. We love that!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 AM

profile gallery send pm

oh I also can comment on the windiness that Natalie mentioned. The wind is most common on the east side, as the Columbia River Gorge funnels the wind from eastern Oregon down though the gorge and hits the east side of Multnomah County. I live on the east most side of Multnomah County and the wind doesn't bug me at all. Just be careful in parking lots, because when you open your car door it might get ripped out of your hand and hit the car next to you!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

You are all so great, this is so helpful to hear opinions. We've been scouring the internet for information, but for me, it helps so much to just get a feel for the place by asking people who live there. Thank goodness for the message boards that I visit, haha.. It's interesting how differing the opinions can be!

Seriously, that Portlandia stuff cracks me up. I can't wait to watch some more, I saw it was on Netflix. Can't decide if I fully love the weirdness of it all or not... I guess if that's pretty true it might explain some of the things that have puzzled us about the job market there.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Seriously, that Portlandia stuff cracks me up. I can't wait to watch some more, I saw it was on Netflix. Can't decide if I fully love the weirdness of it all or not... I guess if that's pretty true it might explain some of the things that have puzzled us about the job market there.
Personally, I would go for the wierd...l then find it's alot easier to just to be myself! I mean...we are all wierd in someway right???
Old 01-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I think it's funny that the perception of Portland is "weird", and that shows just puts it out there more. Portland definitely has weird people (and I love that!), but there are plenty of perfectly normal families and suburban neighborhoods just like anywhere else.
Portland is a liberal city, a green city, and a wonderful place to live. I don't like the grey days either, but there is plenty of sun too.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
You are all so great, this is so helpful to hear opinions. We've been scouring the internet for information, but for me, it helps so much to just get a feel for the place by asking people who live there. Thank goodness for the message boards that I visit, haha.. It's interesting how differing the opinions can be!

LOL, it's a pretty extreme take on all the weirdness. I was definitely LOL as I watched it though because so much of it reminds me of Austin.

But I totally agree with Kim, if Portland is anything like Austin, it prides itself on being weird, but in reality is much more normal than they'd probably like to admit. Austin has it's weirder areas but for the most part it's like any other city. And really I'd call it more alternative/progressive than weird. But I'm from the Santa Cruz, CA area so my bar for weirdness is pretty high, haha.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Mauch View Post
I think it's funny that the perception of Portland is "weird", and that shows just puts it out there more.
It couldn't have anything to do with this campaign they've got....

Old 01-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL!! Yep I love the weirdness of Portland too Also something to keep in mind Lisa- I don't know if the state you are in has an income tax but Oregon does. It makes a difference in take home pay. Even if you live in WA like we do if you work in Oregon you pay Oregon income tax. I think for the field it sounds like your hubby is looking in there will be quite a bit job wise out here. My DH is a programmer and the job market has been opening up quite a bit in the last year or so! Also the on the grey- I am looking out my window at a nice blue, sunny sky and its January... so its not always grey ;-)
Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I've never lived anywhere without a state income tax, so it probably wouldn't bother us... unless it's insanely high I guess...
Old 01-11-2012, 02:39 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I've never lived anywhere without a state income tax, so it probably wouldn't bother us... unless it's insanely high I guess...
9% I believe
Old 01-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

so, call me naive, but seriously I cant even imagine ANYONE not loving portland!! haha! seriously.

I am across the river in vancouver too - and I LOVE it here, it's very suberbia-ish here, great schools, 8 million starbucks, and anything you could be looking for with in an arms reach. Portland it self is gorgeous, and I love too that it is like less than a two hour drive to the coast and a less than two hours drive to year long ski resorts, beautiful camping, and even closer there are some really amazing views - the gorge may be windy, but it is the most beautiful place on earth I swear!! (google the columbia river gorge and multnoma falls, beautiful!)

If i were single and kidless I would be living in the city hands down, it is such a neat place in portland, there is a lot of acceptance and interest in alternative people/things, also, if you are a biker, portland is one of the top places for biking.

As far as the commute - the hardest places to get in and out of are on the west side - beaverton can be a hellish commute, unless you are working on that side. As far as vancouver is concered the trip across the bridge on the west side of town can also be terrible. But on the east side the communte can be a bit better - but i mean, traffic is a given in any city really, right?

Lastly, the other thing i love about portland, is that its a bit less... hoity toity than some other places (ie, california) the average person isn't spray tanning and getting lipo LOL, i mean we have people that are more high maintenence, but I never feel like I'm out of place at the other end of the scale in my hoody and no makup, even if I'm in the city itself.

I don't know, portland just feels like the place where everyone fits in, people are warm and friendly - it is a wonderful place to be.

(ps, i'm not uber liberal, and I'm at a minority here for sure, probably if i were super political the overwhelming liberal-ness might make me crazy, but i mean, really we all have our own views, and i'm ok with that)

Old 01-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to live in the Pacific Northwest (on two occasions), though not in Portland, but we always loved to take weekend trips to Portland. It's a super fun city and we really enjoyed the coast and the amazing access to the outdoors. I would live there in a heartbeat if it weren't so far away from our families!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
9% I believe
I would choose Oregon taxes over Californias anyday.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
This ^
Old 01-11-2012, 06:32 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
I agree! I have no real complaints about taxes. I love no sales tax so I'm fine with an income tax.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Popping in to add something else... did you know the show Grimm is filmed in Portland? Lots of great shots of the city and surrounding areas. (I actually saw them filming once and am waiting for that scene to be shown on TV.)

Also, regarding the "Keep Portland Weird" campaign. I know you were joking, but for the record I don't know a single person who actually has that bumper sticker. (And I know an actual weirdo or two!)

I didn't know so many SSD ladies were in the Portland area. No wonder I like you all so much.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

another little side note...the movie Goonies was filmled in Oregon
Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 PM

profile gallery send pm

and so was Animal House
and so was a bunch of Twilight
Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Mauch View Post
Also, regarding the "Keep Portland Weird" campaign. I know you were joking, but for the record I don't know a single person who actually has that bumper sticker. (And I know an actual weirdo or two!)
I DO know people with that bumper sticker! Sometimes the wierdos are the best folks!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Oh yeah Goonies I love that movie.

I think I would be tempted to have one of those bumper stickers if we move!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

and even if you arne't a Twilight fan you can totally drive to Forks WA and do the Twilight tour