Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default silhouette question

Okay I just got it unpacked and out of the box, and did my very first cut with it... soo... where in the book does it say that the adhesive on the cutting mat will bond with your paper for life? I can't get the paper off and now my mat is wrecked... I tried scrapping if off with water to get the paper fibers off... and of course the adhesive has ceased to be sticky... I read on line that respositionable adhesive spray works (and you can make your own matts, too)... any help? I have a second pad for those other types of papers and I'm fearful to use that... I did read about taking a towel to it, but will have help keep my paper in tack?

ETA... I just heard back from the company... apparently this is not an unheard of problem and they are working on getting different adhesive... in the mean time they are going to be replacing my cutting pad.. and to pat the mat down with jean material may help in the future. That is nice customer service.

So... new question had anyone made their own pads with adhesive spray?

Thanks!!

Last edited by MamaBee; 03-01-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Well, Rebecca, I don't even own a Silhouette, so I can't answer any of your questions. But I thought you might get a kick out of knowing that when I saw this thread I thought it was about this month's technique challenge and wanted to come see what gorgeousness you had created for it!

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 03-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to tettletop20 Send a message via Skype™ to tettletop20

Happened to me the first time I used my mat! I was so PO'd.

I actually had some of this stuff that worked and took the paper all off. It also made the mat less sticky, which was exactly what I needed!

Silhouette customer service is very helpful from what I've heard - glad they could help you out!

I hope it's smooth cutting from here on out for you!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I made my own cutting mat for my Robo. Laminted a piece of card, masked off the edges and used spray mount all over it. You HAVE to remember to mask the edges off or you'll clog up the wheels though x
Old 03-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i have really old cutting mats for it because i have the old version. i sisn't have this problem. i've never made my own mats.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I failed to read the instructions when I first got it and used the mat with the vinyl (you don't need a mat for it!) so the backing from the vinyl did the same thing! I never could get it to work well after that. I recently bought a Circuit mat at Walmart (I think they are 2 for $12) and just cut off the extra 3 inches, its worked well!

Old 03-01-2011, 05:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecia27 View Post
I failed to read the instructions when I first got it and used the mat with the vinyl (you don't need a mat for it!) so the backing from the vinyl did the same thing! I never could get it to work well after that. I recently bought a Circuit mat at Walmart (I think they are 2 for $12) and just cut off the extra 3 inches, its worked well!
Oohh... I'm going to have to try that! thanks!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to tettletop20 Send a message via Skype™ to tettletop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecia27 View Post
That's a wonderful idea!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I found that the thick cutting mat is way stickier than the thin cutting mat. What type of paper were you cutting? I've started using the thick cutting mats exclusively. They are usually really sticky for me for the first cut or so.. but after that the stickiness is just right and I seem to get alot more life out of them over the thin cutting mats. Here is a neat trick I found- use an uphostery grade lint roller- it picks up all the extra paper that sticks really easily, and the mat stays sticky. I run mine over my mat after each cut and it picks up all the little leftover pieces, lint, oils etc and the mat stays nice and sticky
Old 03-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Love the idea of using the Cricut mat!

My thin mat ate my first two pieces of paper. I used Undu (do they still even make that stuff??) to get it off. It took forever and I had a headache when I was done. Then I took a white t-shirt to it and that helped for a while, but now it's not sticky at all, so I have to take my Herma repositional adhesive (the dotty one) and apply it to the top and bottom of the paper. It holds it well enough to cut without slipping and without sticking forever.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just did my first cut with my machine and the same thing happened to me. UGH. I ran it under hot water and got all of the left over paper off and then Im going to take an old tshirt and pat all over it to make it less sticky. But I was so excited to do my first cut!!!! Im going to love this thing!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have done a couple sets of cricut mats. You can also wash it with dish soap and hot water, let it dry and it tends to resticky itself. I use baby wipes on mine too.