Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default A question on the FB "Like" Button

So. If I understand it correctly, the FB "Like" button should be available in the gallery in some time.

Before I start being concerned, I'd like to ask - what does it mean it practice? Who will actually see the likes? How will it look for me and how will it look to the person who liked? And also, if I like someone's LO (which I most probably won't, I prefer to comment), how will it show to me, to my F-list, to the person I liked and their F-list?

I only ask because I like to keep my life here and at FB a bit separated, and I'm a bit nervous about some people on my FB list seeing my gallery here (or starting feeling curious and start reading my posts here, even though I think that's highly unlikely). It's not like I have anything to hide, but I don't feel like sharing everything with everybody (and yes, the gallery here is public, but I don't think anybody would actually look for it if I didn't tell them to - the "Like" might change that... nor maybe it won't, I dunno). Also, some people gave me permission to post LOs featuring them here, but not on FB, that's why the FB dimension makes me wonder.

So this connection makes me worried a bit, but I have no idea if there's a real reason to be worried. I hope there's not. :-)

P.S. If "share on Twitter" and "pin on Pinterest" are other options considered for implementation, I feel just as unexcited about them as about FB, even though FB makes me frown most, because it's so huge and because that's where my RL people are. :-)

Last edited by adrianka; 01-01-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Honestly, this makes me worry, too. I keep my scrapping off Facebook so irl life people won't see the layouts I do that are not about my son.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Exactly. I only post a portion of my LOs at FB. I don't post my personal pages, like vacation books with personal journalling, my fashion pages etc. and I don't want that to change. I also don't want to end up deleting stuff from here because of... Facebook? That would hurt, because FB is *so* not worth it.

Honestly, not everybody is on FB, and how unfair is it to share someone's stuff when they even can't see it's being shared? And I know you can do it through Pinterest, but - that's Pinterest that does it, not SSD. I feel a difference there. SSD can't control what's going on at Pinterest, but SSD can control what's going on at SSD... it's not like a site can't survive without having a "Like" button.

Before I sound like an alarmist - I'd truly like to learn what's involved in the "Like" button before I start panicking. :-)

I only have a vague idea, but since I keep seeing people's stuff in the right-hand "stream of consciousness" - stuff that I shouldn't be seeing at all - I can't help but wondering.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i would think you would have to link your account here to your facebook account. if you don't nothing should show up there. at least that is what it is like at other sites.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Celeste* View Post
i would think you would have to link your account here to your facebook account. if you don't nothing should show up there. at least that is what it is like at other sites.
Ha! Thanks. That would make me quite relieved. :-)

Old 01-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Perhaps you guys could set up a second Facebook account to link to your scrapbooking? With a username like Scrapper _____(insert your name here)___?

I totally understand keeping the two separate (even though I don't keep mine separate), but maybe it would help?

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't see facebook buttons in the gallery? Maybe I am missing something? I was curious too so I tried it in the shop on a product. It posts on your profile as a link. Your sweet shoppe account and your facebook account are not connected. So basically if someone did like your layout in the gallery it would show up as a link on their profile. Their friends can see it, but really its no different then sharing a link to your layout in the gallery which anyone can do already, it shouldn't really affect your profile at all.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I don't post anything scrap booking related on Facebook. Thanks for he info, Celeste, I hope that's the case.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Honestly, I am not a social networker at all. All of the buttons came as a result of people requesting them because they're everywhere and so I did my best to give them to people.

The Social Networking buttons in the gallery are "coming soon" because my web designer hasn't had a chance to look into them and make the code work yet.

R
Old 01-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengerbread88 View Post
Perhaps you guys could set up a second Facebook account to link to your scrapbooking? With a username like Scrapper _____(insert your name here)___?

I totally understand keeping the two separate (even though I don't keep mine separate), but maybe it would help?
I'd like to avoid that; all I want to separate my FB and SSD.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmogs View Post
So basically if someone did like your layout in the gallery it would show up as a link on their profile. Their friends can see it, but really its no different then sharing a link to your layout in the gallery which anyone can do already, it shouldn't really affect your profile at all.
Nobody ever posted a link on my LO at FB as far as I know. But with the Like button it's going to be far too easy for my taste. Not that I think that everybody will like my stuff like mad, but there's always the possibility. :-)

I won't be very happy with my LOs being shown on other people's FB accounts for their friends to see, but since those will be my scrappy friends, and not RL friends, it's bearable I suppose. Since many of my friends don't want the LOs featuring their kids or themselves on FB, I guess they might not feel excited about this either if they knew it. I won't tell them, but I will know. If I'm friend with the person who likes, I can see it I guess and if I notice that it's a LO that I didn't get an FB permission for, I can always ask them to unlike it, but I really don't want to be playing police.

Last edited by adrianka; 01-01-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

If you weren't already 'friends' with them on Facebook, you'd never know if they were sharing anyway. I've never seen a layout posted on Facebook from someone who either didn't own the layout (putting their own up), or it being a winner of some kind of prize one entered.

But the ability for people to share layouts that you don't know about has been there all along in sharing on blogs or facebook posts you aren't friended by or people saving them on their PC's for lifting later. It's the online world as it is.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
That would be against FB user policy anyways...I know people do it, but it's a no-no just the same.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
If you weren't already 'friends' with them on Facebook, you'd never know if they were sharing anyway. I've never seen a layout posted on Facebook from someone who either didn't own the layout (putting their own up), or it being a winner of some kind of prize one entered.

But the ability for people to share layouts that you don't know about has been there all along in sharing on blogs or facebook posts you aren't friended by or people saving them on their PC's for lifting later. It's the online world as it is.
Yes. But it was those people's initiative, not SSD making it easier for them. Of course anything I post online can be shared - I know that, been "living" online since 2001. I was always very cautious about what I post and where I post it, but I won't have any control over this whatsoever.

The most important part for me is to avoid people on MY FB friends list going into my SSD gallery from FB, which, if I can understand correctly, can be done if I don't link the accounts, so I suppose I'm OK with it now.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

And with Pinterest, anyone can pin anything you put up, except on FB. So that opens it up even wider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
It's the online world as it is.
Yup.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

See I'm the opposite...FB wouldn't bother me since you have to have a FB account to see stuff. Pinterest anyone can see...you don't have to have an account to browse over there and all kinds of creepers could troll there!!

But in all honesty none of it really bothers me...I've taken precautions to keep my kids name off the internet and our location as vague as possible. Really so what if someone sees my page with my kids photo....1. if I don't want people seeing it I should have kept it off line. 2. I should be way more worried about people in my own town who could see me/my kids at Wal Mart....follow us home...and murder us all in our sleep!!

There is a reason the "internet" is call the WORLD WIDE WEB, at any given time....anyone.... any where could get "anything" of mine that I have posted. That 's a chance I took by opening myself (and my family/friends) up to the "world".

I know it's weird...I'm like a complete alarmist (in everything) but this just doens't bother me.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
Honestly, I am not a social networker at all. All of the buttons came as a result of people requesting them because they're everywhere and so I did my best to give them to people.
Yes, I understand. Since I'm a social networker, I can see the downside to this connection, especially when it comes to FB, which is a site that has very strange rules about copyright and protection of personal information. Obviously you can hardly prohibit people sharing your LOs once they decide to do it, one little button won't change that much about it. But connecting SSD to other sites, to sites that some users might not love the way they love SSD - that's the part I'm not that excited about. Of course I'm willing to listen to reason and that's why I started this thread - to learn what's involved. It appears it's not as tragic as it seemed to me at first impression.

That said, I love all those other changes that have been introduced, but I've already said that in different threads. :-) Your hard work is certainly appreciated, Robin, as is your willingness to listen to people's demands.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
See I'm the opposite...FB wouldn't bother me since you have to have a FB account to see stuff. Pinterest anyone can see...you don't have to have an account to browse over there and all kinds of creepers could troll there!!

But in all honesty none of it really bothers me...I've taken precautions to keep my kids name off the internet and our location as vague as possible. Really so what if someone sees my page with my kids photo....1. if I don't want people seeing it I should have kept it off line. 2. I should be way more worried about people in my own town who could see me/my kids at Wal Mart....follow us home...and murder us all in our sleep!!

There is a reason the "internet" is call the WORLD WIDE WEB, at any given time....anyone.... any where could get "anything" of mine that I have posted. That 's a chance I took by opening myself (and my family/friends) up to the "world".

I know it's weird...I'm like a complete alarmist (in everything) but this just doens't bother me.
I agree on many points. Of course I don't post anything that I can't live with people seeing. It's just I'm used to SSD being "my home", where I can post LOs that I don't post elsewhere, where I can talk openly about things that I don't care some RL people to know, etc.

I could always delete some people from my F-list, some colleagues that I truly don't want to laugh about my fashion LOs (yes, some would do that) or read my journalling on some of my pages... that's a possibility as well. I don't mind having colleagues on FB, but I choose what I reveal to them. They have no idea about SSD, and I suppose there's not much chance they will even due to the Like button, I was just curious how it's going to work in practice.

Last edited by adrianka; 01-01-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
And with Pinterest, anyone can pin anything you put up, except on FB. So that opens it up even wider.
True. However, I don't have RL friends on Pinterest, and most of them don't even know it exists, so that's why it doesn't bother me that much, even though I admit Pinterest as such has marginally worried me ever since I realised the above. :-)

Old 01-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well I haven't tried it but from what Dani and Darcy posted I think you might be able to "control it".

Like for examples we aren't friends on FB, so if I would go into the gallery and "like" one of your pages it will just post a link to my FB wall and only my friends would see it and actually all they would see is a link...they would have to take the initiative to follow that link. Because we don't share any friends your FB (non scrappy) friends would be none the wiser.

So all you would have to do is when the time comes......(meaning the buttons go live in the gallery)...is simple send out a statue to all your scrapping friends on FB (which I think is pretty simple with the list feature on FB) that you would appreciate them not like your pages here at SSD.

I mean if they are your "Friends" then I would think they would not have a problem with respecting your wishes!!! If they give you grief then maybe you could rethink the "friendship" and you might chose to delete them. Which would once again save your non scrappy friends from seeing your pages.

I'd like to point out that if anyone ever asked me (or stated here in the forums) that they didn't want their pages shared by using the like button I'd totally respect that!! Just cause it doesn't bother me doesn't mean that's the right choice for everyone!!!

Elizabeth

Old 01-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Honestly, I think its far more likely that the Pin It Button will get used in the gallery far more often than the like button on FB. I cant see people wanting a bunch of layout links in the FB profile. They dont really seem to "go" together if you know what I mean.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i would just imagine that if someone shared something of yours on facebook that you don't want shared, you could unfriend them. if you don't have mutual friends, no one will see it regardless.

**sorry posted same time as e, and she said it much more eloquently *

Old 01-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Well I haven't tried it but from what Dani and Darcy posted I think you might be able to "control it".

Like for examples we aren't friends on FB, so if I would go into the gallery and "like" one of your pages it will just post a link to my FB wall and only my friends would see it and actually all they would see is a link...they would have to take the initiative to follow that link. Because we don't share any friends your FB (non scrappy) friends would be none the wiser.

So all you would have to do is when the time comes......(meaning the buttons go live in the gallery)...is simple send out a statue to all your scrapping friends on FB (which I think is pretty simple with the list feature on FB) that you would appreciate them not like your pages here at SSD.

I mean if you are your "Friends" then I would think they would have a problem with respecting your wishes!!! If they give you grief then maybe you could rethink the "friendship" and you might chose to delete them. Which would once again save your non scrappy friends from seeing your pages.

I'd like to point out that if anyone ever asked me (or stated here in the forums) that they didn't want their pages shared by using the like button I'd totally respect that!! Just coause it doesn't bother me doesn't mean that's the right choice for everyone!!!
Wise words.

I'm glad I started this thread, I knew my concerns might get calmed down if I asked questions. :-)

Old 01-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
i would just imagine that if someone shared something of yours on facebook that you don't want shared, you could unfriend them. if you don't have mutual friends, no one will see it regardless.

**sorry posted same time as e, and she said it much more eloquently *
Yes, and what she said makes a lot of sense. :-)

Old 01-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Honestly, I feel like these are all things that you have to take into consideration when you dive into social media. If you're not comfortable with them, then social media may not be for you. However, if you want to be an avid social media user, these are the terms you have to come grips with.

I totally understand why these buttons are being added to the site. First off, people have asked for them a THOUSAND times...literally. Second, social media is such a large part of society today, and an even larger part of digital scrapbooking, that to leave them off would be silly. Robin and all involved are trying to make the store match what is working in our niche, as well as give the customers something that they have been asking for for a long time.

Bottom line: they're not even here yet. Let's just enjoy the awesome improvements that are here now before we all start freaking out.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirScrapalot View Post
Honestly, I feel like these are all things that you have to take into consideration when you dive into social media. If you're not comfortable with them, then social media may not be for you. However, if you want to be an avid social media user, these are the terms you have to come grips with.
I've been online for over 11 years, I think I can understand a lot about social media, forums, blogs, and personal websites, even webdesign (been there, done that all). All I'm trying to say I want to keep my SSD gallery and my FB separated. If it's weird, then I suppose I'm weird.

I don't think it's essential to have every website out there connected to FB - but as I said, maybe I'm weird. ;-)

I'm not trying to criticise anything, I'm trying to find out what's involved and how can I adjust to the new functions so that I can be happy with them.

Last edited by adrianka; 01-01-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We all have our "weird" things when it comes to online. I don't Facebook with my local friends - I get grief from them every time I see them about that. They are all FB friends, but not with me. But I had an online "presence" for many, many years before they even touched a computer, so I'm not comfortable mixing the two. Like George Constanza in Seinfeld - I don't want my 2 worlds colliding!

But to me, FB is much more private than the SSD site, since it's open. So I only post on SSD what I don't mind the entire world seeing.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
We all have our "weird" things when it comes to online. I don't Facebook with my local friends - I get grief from them every time I see them about that. They are all FB friends, but not with me. But I had an online "presence" for many, many years before they even touched a computer, so I'm not comfortable mixing the two. Like George Constanza in Seinfeld - I don't want my 2 worlds colliding!

But to me, FB is much more private than the SSD site, since it's open. So I only post on SSD what I don't mind the entire world seeing.
Hehe, so true with 2 worlds colliding! And about having our online sensitivities set differently. FB is the first ever place where my RL friends and online friends mix, that's why it feels kinda weird for me now. Before, I was only part of online communities where my friends were online friends - I met some of them later, but they weren't RL friends to start with. When I had a blog it was a LiveJournal where you could have public and friends-only posts.

I think it's pretty weird on my part that I feel pretty safe with SSD even though it's public since nobody knows about it from my RL. Of course, there's always a possibility somebody will stumble upon it, so even if I posted personal stuff, it was never anything really "compromising" (LOL). If they find the site by mistake, I think I can survive, even though it wouldn't make me happy. :-)

So the FB and SSD connection now truly feel like 2 worlds colliding, that's why I'm asking this much.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Adrianka, I hope you don't feel attacked by all our responses. I think we are just trying to make you feel better about the change and give our opinion on how it all works. I totally understand wanting to keep your FB and SSD stuff separate, and hope you can find a way to keep it that way!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Barrette View Post
Adrianka, I hope you don't feel attacked by all our responses. I think we are just trying to make you feel better about the change and give our opinion on how it all works. I totally understand wanting to keep your FB and SSD stuff separate, and hope you can find a way to keep it that way!
You're so sweet, Jenn. Don't worry, I don't feel attacked. I can see that my worries might seem ridiculous to some people, but it's just we all have our sensible spots set differently, as Marina said. I was just trying to explain what was worrying me and hopefully find some solution so that everybody - including me - is happy with the new functions.

People in this thread have been most understanding. I think (and I was sure when I was starting this thread, that's why I started it) that there is a solution that can work for me, I just have to find it - there have been some great suggestions here, so I'm feeling optimistic.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I won't be linking my SSD stuff with FB at all. My FB friends are mostly people I know IRL, people who know my full name and location and who I trust with that info. But since anyone can come onto SSD and see anything I post, I never use my full name or location here. I post too much about my kids here for me to be comfortable having it linked to that real life info. That's why I rarely post LOs on designer's FB pages, since I don't know of any way to do it without sharing my full name.

But since I can't see any way for SSD to "know" who I am on FB unless I tell it, the ability to like doesn't worry me. My LOs won't show on my FB wall no matter who likes them, and my real name won't be connected to them if anyone else likes them.

Honestly, the pinterest thing is worrying me more. I registered there for the first time because of the new Portfolio format, and it wouldn't let me register without linking my FB or twitter account. It says you can de-link and I plan to do that later today, but it still makes me nervous.

Last edited by rach3975; 01-01-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tend to blend my scrapbooking and my social media a lot anyway-- I integrate social media in a lot of areas in my life (I have spent a lot of time studying social media for my degree, so it's as normal to me as breathing almost), so I don't mind the two being connected. I can see why others wouldn't want it connected, though.

And yes, I know it's against FB policy to have two accounts, but facebook has a lot on their minds other than banning secondary accounts, and it's highly unlikely they'd ever notice.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 01-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Hey chickies,

Regarding the Pinterest portfolio, you dont have to register there to participate at all. Feel free to just lurk on the January portfolio pinboard to get your challenges and go. There's no need at all to register there if you don't want to <3

Also, I will be pinning gallery standouts and challenge inspiration layouts picks of my own on the Sweet Shoppe pinboard soon, so if you'd like to be left out of the consideration for that, just let me know!

Robin
Old 01-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
And yes, I know it's against FB policy to have two accounts, but facebook has a lot on their minds other than banning secondary accounts, and it's highly unlikely they'd ever notice.
Actually.... that is very much not true. I know several people with secondary "non real life" accounts that have gotten completely banned from facebook.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I won't be linking my SSD stuff with FB at all. My FB friends are mostly people I know IRL, people who know my full name and location and who I trust with that info. But since anyone can come onto SSD and see anything I post, I never use my full name or location here. I post too much about my kids here for me to be comfortable having it linked to that real life info. That's why I rarely post LOs on designer's FB pages, since I don't know of any way to do it without sharing my full name.

But since I can't see any way for SSD to "know" who I am on FB unless I tell it, the ability to like doesn't worry me. My LOs won't show on my FB wall no matter who likes them, and my real name won't be connected to them if anyone else likes them.

Honestly, the pinterest thing is worrying me more. I registered there for the first time because of the new Portfolio format, and it wouldn't let me register without linking my FB or twitter account. It says you can de-link and I plan to do that later today, but it still makes me nervous.
Glad I'm not the only one...

My FB started out as a RL thing, I added scrappy friends / designer pages later on.

One of the things I didn't know before starting this thread was that you actually had to LINK FB / Twitter with SSD before the likes work the way I feared. So I won't link and ask everybody I know from here not to like anything by me (now that sounds funny). :-)

And yes, Pinterest makes me worried too, and yes, it didn't let me register without linking to FB, to, so if it's possible to de-link, it would make me happy.

Last edited by adrianka; 01-01-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
It shouldn't , you can actually go into your settings and change you name to whatever you want, unlink your facebook/twitter and make your profile unsearchable. So it's probably "safer" then facebook as long as you don't put to much info in your journaling (which I know a lot of us don't)!!!

Elizabeth

Old 01-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Hey chickies,

Regarding the Pinterest portfolio, you dont have to register there to participate at all. Feel free to just lurk on the January portfolio pinboard to get your challenges and go. There's no need at all to register there if you don't want to <3

Also, I will be pinning gallery standouts and challenge inspiration layouts picks of my own on the Sweet Shoppe pinboard soon, so if you'd like to be left out of the consideration for that, just let me know!

Robin
Thanks, Robin, for being this thoughtful.

The only thing that truly make me worried right now is FB because of the RL dimension. But it's clear that people are also worried about Pinterest, so this was a good suggestion on your part.

One curious question - why did you and the team decide to use Pinterest (as a third-party website) rather than the SSD website?

Old 01-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
It shouldn't , you can actually go into your settings and change you name to whatever you want, unlink your facebook/twitter and make your profile unsearchable. So it's probably "safer" then facebook as long as you don't put to much info in your journaling (which I know a lot of us don't)!!!
Thanks, Elizabeth.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm not sure how FB works but I have my Twitter account attached to my Pinterest account and as far as I've seen other than using my Twitter info to login, the only connection between the two is that I have the option to post a message to Twitter when I pin something. But as long as I don't choose to do that, no one on my Twitter sees anything about my Pinterest account.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:55 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I'm not sure how FB works but I have my Twitter account attached to my Pinterest account and as far as I've seen other than using my Twitter info to login, the only connection between the two is that I have the option to post a message to Twitter when I pin something. But as long as I don't choose to do that, no one on my Twitter sees anything about my Pinterest account.
Yes - same here - except with FB. I have my FB linked to my Pinterest account, but I never tell it to post to FB, so it never does . . .

Old 01-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
Actually.... that is very much not true. I know several people with secondary "non real life" accounts that have gotten completely banned from facebook.
Yep, me too, which is why I mentioned it.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
One curious question - why did you and the team decide to use Pinterest (as a third-party website) rather than the SSD website?
Because truthfully, it's easy, convenient, pretty and perfect for our needs. Why reinvent the wheel when there is an application out there that suits what we want and need and is wildly popular. You can browse at Pinterest with no danger to your personal security, so there's nothing to be worried about on the challenge front.

R
Old 01-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Because truthfully, it's easy, convenient, pretty and perfect for our needs. Why reinvent the wheel when there is an application out there that suits what we want and need and is wildly popular. You can browse at Pinterest with no danger to your personal security, so there's nothing to be worried about on the challenge front.

R
Thanks. :-)

Totally OT, but I've been wanting to split my personal website into a gallery and a personal website, but my webdesigner days are over, so I've been kinda playing with the idea of using Flickr for the gallery part, but I'm so unwilling to move the biggest part away from my own domain, that I'm doing nothing. :-) So basically you did what I can't do (even though my website is pretty non-important compared to SSD and you kept the essential part at your domain, so the comparison is pretty failed).

Old 01-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That doesn't seem to be true for FB. It automatically found all my FB friends who are on Pinterest and made me followers of them. I don't think it made them my followers. But I've since de-linked my FB profile, removed my last name from my Pinterest profile, made my profile unsearchable (all 3 under Settings) and un-followed everyone it had me follow (manually, unfortunately). It will probably be fine like this, and if not I can always delete my account and follow along without being a member. I'm glad that's still an option, thanks Robin!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've unlinked pinterest, fb, and twitter so I'm not so worried there. And it frequently logs me off.
FB, I've figured out to be best with my online world. With RL people it gets too messy. I end up deleting them off soon after I cave in. Being that we live across the world, my family are on there, but they love my scrapping. And if they didn't I'd tell them off. I don't think I would like layouts much, as I love recieving and giving comments. But I have liked kits that I wanted to share with my friends. (Like Traci's new AB kit-wuv it!) I still see pinterest as my photo board, hard to see it past that. Maybe I should make a kit/layout board...
Old 01-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yup, I do this as well. I very rarely share pins on my FB, and that is mostly quotes, nothing scrapelated.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have never had a Facebook account or been on Pinterest until today, when I signed up to start the January Portfolio. I honestly don't know how to work either or them, or what to do with them really, but I've got them now. If I don't care for them, I can always delete, right?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:58 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I don't have my Fb or Twitter account linked to my Pinterest it is just me and Pinterest and I absolutely LOVE that website and everytime I go there I get SUCKED IN!!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Honestly, I think its far more likely that the Pin It Button will get used in the gallery far more often than the like button on FB. I cant see people wanting a bunch of layout links in the FB profile. They dont really seem to "go" together if you know what I mean.
I agree. It's much more practical for inspiration, too. If I wanted to do it (which I don't, but still), I'd choose Pinterest over FB as well.

Do I get it correct that if I don't connect my SSD account with FB, Pinterest or Twitter, those buttons won't appear in my gallery at all?

Or does it only mean that I won't be able to link/pin other people's LOs, but they will be able to do it with mine? I promise this is my last question on this topic. :-)

And thanks for your understanding!

Old 01-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

To my knowledge none of the buttons here are linked to anyone's accounts, they just appear over the product, blog post or potentially gallery images so that people who are logged into their various accounts can like, tweet or pin the post they're clicking the button from.

If we do put a pin-it button in the gallery, it would be on every layout and could be clicked by anyone who wanted to pin the layout to their pinterest pinboards, etc.

There are some technical glitches regarding the pinit button in the gallery, so it may not happen.

R