Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Hybrid Chatter
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default Cuttlebug? Big shot? Grand Caliber?

Although I have a Gazelle and love it, I don't have a designated "scrap area" so I have to pull my gazelle to my kitchen table whenever I need to use it. I don't think it is worth it to do this for small things. I was thinking of getting an embosser for small things or things that may fit after I have cut them out. It there any recommendations for which of the above to get? Hobby Lobby currently has $4.95 shipping on any item and 40% off. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have both the cuttlebug and the Big Shot... IMO, the cuttlebug is easier to transport... it's the one that my mom borrows all the time to use when she gets scrapping (she prefers scrapping paper vs digi) it folds up into a nice little "box"... the Big Shot is larger, but I find it more stable on the table, so when I have a lot to do, I will pull out the Big Shot... I think you can get it powered so it rolls it through for you.

The Big shot is also wider, so their embossing panels won't go through the cuttlebug, but you can put the cuttlebug's panels through the big shot...

HTH!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just got a Grand Calibur and LOVE it! I chose the Grand Calibur because I was starting from scratch and don't already have dies and since I was planning on buying mostly Spellbinders Nestibilities. Though, there aren't many dies that don't work with it. I based my decision on this review and even bought the Grand Nestabilities scalloped squares for my December Daily book after seeing hers, lol.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

If I was starting from scratch, I'd get the Grand Calibur too. I pretty much only planned on using Spellbinders dies, but when I got mine for Christmas last year the Grand Calibur wasn't out. So I have the big shot express (powered so you don't have to crank it to roll through). I love it, but I have a designated scrap area. It can also use other company dies (like Spellbinders), whereas the Grand Calibur can only handle the thin Spellbinder dies and products.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
whereas the Grand Calibur can only handle the thin Spellbinder dies and products.
I'm confused... there are lots of dies the Grand Calibur can use besides the Spellbinders dies and products.

Quote:
Compatible with Sizzlets, Cuttlebug, and Quickuts dies, as well as Cuttlebug Embossing Folders and Fiskars Texture Plates.
quote from the Spellbinder's site... I think the only thing it's not compatible with are the Sizzix Big 3d dies but you can still use the Sizzix thin dies. Is that what you were saying Col?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 AM

profile gallery send pm

That's my mistake then Heather. I was under the impression it was only meant for Spellbinders stuff. Thanks for clearing that up
Old 12-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the input gals, I ended up getting a Big Shot Express. There was a local scrapbooking store going out of business sale and I purchased it for $51. I ended up purchasing $435 retail prices for dies/embossing folders and only paying $130. Looking forward to embossing my projects now.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Paula - sounds like you got a great deal!

I was looking for something to use with Papertrey dies and Spellbinder dies that would be cheap and easy to use ...suggestions?

I have a little red Sizzix cutter that is probably about 7 years old...but most of the dies won't fit through it.

I just invested in a binding machine so I need a cost effective solution. Ideas???
Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 AM

profile gallery send pm

I would still probably recommend the Grand Calibur, because it handles the larger sizes and can use an 8.5x11 piece of paper. (Still kicking myself over that.)

But, Joann's online has the Big Shot (the non-electric one that you crank by hand) on sale right now for $59.99. That's about as cheap as any of the machines are gonna get.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I used a 50% off coupon from Hobby Lobby to get my Grand Calibur for $60... I'd also look at overstock.com they have some great packages on the Grand Calibur too, tho I think they're out of stock right now. I LOVE my Grand Calibur! I don't know if it works with the Papertrey dies or not though... are they thin dies? I do know that you are limited with the Sizzix dies though on the Grand Calibur, but have been really happy with the selections I can use, especially the Spellbinders. The reviews I've read say that the Grand Calibur is better at embossing and yeah I LOVE that I can run 8.5x11 w/o having to trim my paper first.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:25 PM

profile gallery send pm

Papertrey dies are thin, like spellbinders. They just don't have the center part cut out (spellbinders patented that feature).

Reason #85408540654 why I wish I had a Hobby Lobby, lol. That's a GREAT deal!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Col! Another die brand... umm, addiction to check out, lol.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Geez.... I wish I had the grand calibur if it can do that large size of paper!! But since I have 4 die cut machines... and one electronic die cutter... I suppose I don't need another one, huh? I really need to get into making cards... but that is an area that just boggles my mind, design wise... odd, isn't it?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love my big shot and use it for all my nesties bit also for the thick and chunky sizzix shaoes because you can cut thin wood and chipboard to make your own embellishments.

I just got a Grand Caliber for Christmas and a few *ahem* a lot of the grand dies too
Old 12-30-2010, 07:57 PM

profile gallery send pm

SO JEALOUS Andrea, lol.
I need to hit the lottery to sustain my nesties habit, lol. I got 3 more for Christmas, and knowing my mom she probably got me a few for my birthday next month too, lol. I got 4 PTI dies too, lol.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, that's awesome Andrea! I love the grand dies!

We should totally do a must have dies thead! I would love to know what your favorites are as I'm needing to work on my "stash" LOL.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I'm so out of the loop. I've never even heard of Grand Caliber. I got a Big Shot last year when Sizzix clearenced their Hello Kitty model for $50. I'd LOVE to see a must-have die thread, with examples.

I recently got my Silhouette up and running again and the one thing that has been driving me batty is not seeing the files in use and exampled. (ANd I have a HUGE gift card to use there too--that was such a pleasent surprise.)
Old 01-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

As I have worked in two paperstores (I guess before the grand caliber,hahah) and have used the cuttle bug and the big shot, I definately would go for the big shot!! The cuttle bug is brought back to us a few times because people serioulsy broke it!! So I am always affraid to wreck it myself!