Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Any den mothers?

So I saw posts for Dance Moms and Sports Moms, but is anyone a Boy Scouts Mom? Parker will be in his second year and my husband will be with him, but the youngest (age 6) is now talking about joining, which means I would need to accompany him. Kyle has said there are a couple den mothers, but for the most part its dads. A little on the sensitive side, I think Devlin might be embarassed to have his mom with him. Should I try to distract him into another activity...I don't want to pay all the fees and dues to only have him not want to go two weeks in. KWIM?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I'm a Den mom (we actually run the den) and I would say we have a 50/50 ratio of moms and dads. I would ask him if he would be embarrassed to have you there. Also, we don't ask for payment right away so you can try out a den meeting or 2 and see.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are going to be signing Drew up for Cub scouts this year. He has got several friends who are signing up and is pretty excited about it.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My boys both joined Cub Scouts as Tigers and my youngest is going to be moving up to Boy Scouts this year - so we've been in Scouts for a long time. Because of my husband's schedule I've always been the one to bring my boys to den meetings and they've both been okay with that. Also, parental involvement at the meetings is much less after the first year. Would it be possible for you to take Parker to Scouts and have Kyle take Devlin? Do they meet at the same time/place? If so, maybe Kyle could bring both the boys. With our Pack, it wasn't required to be there with the older boys, just the Tigers.

And, can I just say that I'm really looking forward to my youngest to be in Boy Scouts with his brother? Right now I have to drop off Steven at his den meeting, bring Robert across town to Boy Scouts, go back and pick up Steven, then go back and pick up Robert, then finally go home. The things we do for our kids!!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have been in Scouts for many many years ... I was a Den Mother and there were a LOT of Den Mothers in our Pack. Tigers are fun!! Our den did a lot of crafts due to me being involved in scrapbooking ... back then I was a paper scrapper ... so we had a die cut machine and the boys made LOTS of neckerchief slides out of craft foam and chenille stems ... they had them for almost every holiday ... ;-) ...we did presents for family members ... I really enjoyed it.

There wasn't any embarrassment for women to be a part of Boy Scouts ... it's encouraged!! My dh worked up to be the Pack Leader ... and when the boys crossed over to Boy Scouts I dropped out of leadership ... I am not a Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (although I rarely get called) ... dh went up with the boys and became an Assistant Scout leader in the Troop. My oldest is an Eagle Scout.

My youngest hasn't been active in the troop in about a year ... I think he has lost interest since he has been involved in Robotics and it took 4x a week for 3 years ... one of the nights is a Scout night. He could go back if he wanted right now...in fact I am going to talk to him about it right now ... glad you started this thread!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There are quite a few mothers in both my kids' dens. Why don't you switch back and forth between kids? It might be more fun that way.

I might actually have to go this year because the boys meetings might conflict!