Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default I was wondering why I did not see this when I got back on

I posted this....I knew I had and was checking online after eating breakfast and I was starting to wonder if I was losing my mind LOL. Well anyhow I guess I posted it in a thread I had opened and I thought I had created a new thread but really had not so here it is in it's very own thread:

We got a citation (I guess that is the word for it) that says we are to attend a mandatory court appearance on June 19th. It was not really a subpoena as it was not served just came through the regular mail although I suppose that is what it would actually be considered?

It is for the man who caused the crash but he has not had any increase in charges he is still just facing the one charge of not following traffic signals but from what I understand he can have his license suspended for an extended period of time and the judge can place an addional fine of up to 1000 dollars. I have done tons of research and have found out since he got his license for the first time in 2002 he has had it suspended 5 times for a multitude of reasons not including the suspension after this accident(so including this suspension it would be 6 times).

So I am slightly nervous....well more then slightly nervous. This will be the first time any of us will see this man since the accident....well actually the first time we have seen him ever really. I am not sure how it is going to work. The guy from FHP who responded to my email after writing to Colonel Brierton - the head of FHP - is still investigating so I am planning on calling him to get some information but no matter what he says there is going to be a hearing even if it is just for running a red lignt and I think that will allow our family to speak of the effect of what has happened. If they choose to charge with more as I am secretly hoping they will then that will be even better. I know it will not bring our son back but with the blatant disregard this man has showed and seeing his complete driving history he should not be behind the wheel!!

I plan on calling today to the officer who was doing the further investigation and see what is coming from that as well. Will post on that later!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Jessica, I don't know if I could stand being in the same room with that guy if I were you. I find it odd that it would be "mandatory" for you to attend -- shouldn't you be able to decide whether you want to appear? I mean there might be some satisfaction in being able to confront him and make him face up to how much harm he has done, but he obviously deserves to lose his license regardless of what your family would say. Just the fact that he took someone's life speaks for itself. I agree that it sounds like a good idea to find out more about what to expect.

You have been amazingly strong throughout this whole thing and it's been inspirational, really, to watch how you've dealt with it all and continued to be such an advocate for your son. I know you can get through this too. HUGS!!