Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2012, 04:13 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default who here knows how to draw? (realistic drawing)

I want to get a tattoo to honor my son. Ive thought about it for a long time. And I know this community is filled with talented designers and know some of you do know how to draw really well. Maybe this would be something you would be interested in doing. My idea is this...he was born in the fall and loved nothing more then to spend time in the woods. So I wanted something like a spiral of leaves going from blurry to very clear and sharp in colors of fall with his name (Matthew Allen Knorr) and the dates 11-09-1993 to 7-22-2011 in a really pretty script font. Anyone interested? If so how much would you charge for something like that?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If you don't find anyone here most good tattoo artists will drawl your tat for ya.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am nervous about getting this done. Ive seen some tattoos that people have gotten done that look horrible. I want to find the best of the best here in Orlando to do this tattoo. Price is not really a consideration. This is for my son and I am willing to pay to get something that will really remind me of him.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've thought about getting a tattoo for my son as well but then I think that I would feel guilty NOT doing something for the other 2 boys that are still living. I was thinking of angel wings with Colin's name in the middle. But again, im chicken and try to stay away from pain as much as possible. LOL!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I do not mind pain especially needles they do not bother me. Im not worrued about the pain. I know my husband has endured and incredible amount of pain since this accident and I know even though it was seconds for my son he had to have endured a lot of pain as well so I figure they can endure what they did I surely can deal with a little pain from the tattoo in order to get a memorial for my son done. My son and daughter are both older and they both understand why I want to do it. My daughter plans on getting one of 2 fishing hooks in the shape of a heart and have her brother name added to it
Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Well I'll give you my 2 cents!! I wanted a tattoo for my 2 brothers that passed away and I contacted one of the designers here in digiland and she was willing to draw something up for me but let me know that it might not "translate" well into a tattoo...because drawing on a flat piece of paper is way different then drawing on a "curve/bumpy" body!! That the tattoo artist might not be able to duplicate it onto my body.

So what you might do, especially since you said cost wasn't a factor, is find a tattoo artist...explain what you want and have them draw up a rough draft and then you both can work on it till it's want you want!!! That's what I did and the artist didn't charge me till the design was DONE and it was only about $200 bucks (It's a fairly large tattoo). I haven't gotten it yet because I started losing weight and she advised me to get to my goal weight before I got it done...but when it's time to start the tattoo...that $200 bucks comes off the price of that actual work!!!

So just shop around and get some quotes and look for a place/artist that has good reviews!!! Good luck Jessica!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

There are sooo many tattoo places here in Orlando Im not sure Id know where to start LOL. I had my tongue pierced at a place and the guy there kinda made me uncomfortable with the comments he made. He had heavy body modifications which is ok with me but I had no tattoos or piecings and I asked some questions and he kinda laughed at me. Still it was the place recomended to me and he did an awesome job on it but it just didnt work for my body. Some I actually like and think are cool. Yea I am kinda not really the type you would think that would be into tattoos and piecings. I wanted to get a corset piercing until I found out they are not permanent and how much they cost LOL. But I think they look amazing. Anyhow when I had my tongue done I had an allergic reaction to something in the tongue ring and it just would never heal. Everytime I took it out even for just an hour or two it would close back up. It got to the point it was getting to painful so I just gave up.

Last edited by jessica31876; 06-20-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I totally agree with Elizabeth. I've drawn a friends tattoos and all of mine besides my wings. My wings are my fav. I had the artist drawl them right one me though. He took a sharpie and a ton of mirrors to see. He started small as most do and when I kept saying bigger... he would get a different color and drawl more. They are not finished. I have 10-12 hours into them so far and still need to sit for my last sitting probably another 3/4 hours. My wings are in memory of my dad. His name is above them with dates. I want to add more around them after I'm done.
I love that I drew my own but its always nerve racking to drawl others. Its so permeant and that makes me nervous. Though its neat to see others with my drawings on them. Does that make sense? I would start by asking friends/family near you if they have any tat's? Where they went? What they thought of the place? Look up tons of places and go visit them. I've been in probably 50 studios before I got my first and another 50 since finding the perfect studio with the perfect artist for what I want. Ask them about size, prices, seeing pictures of previous clients. Even ask to see the room, the gun, the needles. You should feel comfortable with whoever you chose. I don't know where you want it or how big but that would be a big part with price. And look online for ideas too if you wish. The more ideas/pictures you can describe to/show the artist the better chance of getting what you want. And like she said, you can keep changing it with the artist till its what you want.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes- the artist can draw you a custom piece (here it was $100 nonefundable deposit but it goes toward to price of the tattoo) That said- the drawing on paper looked ok- but once on your skin with the shading and things they can do with color- it looks amazing. The sketch looks flat as it's just an outline but gives you a general idea. I love the theme you're thinking of too- it'd be a nice way to honor him.

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

The problem is I can see the image in my mind and I can draw but every attempt I have made has not looked like what I imagine in my head. Maybe just going into a studio and talking to an artist will make it a little easier to get an idea on what I want after seeing some samples. I told my husband I want to do it next month on the 22nd.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

You look around first. Get recommendations, go visit the shop and see if its what you like. Look at their galleries. Then when you find the right place, you have them draw your tattoo. You talk to them and tell them what you have in mind and a good tattoo artist will go beyond what you pictured even. Its their job, they will do best. Just don't go cheap and find someone you love.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

There are mony awesome artist tattooist out there. Don't be nerves, if ya gave birth to a kid you can handle it...LOL I have both upper arms sleeves done, along w/ about 30 more all over my body

Wish i could find a decent tattoo/biker kit
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Im not nervous about the pain. Im nervous the person is gonna spell something wrong or totally screw up the tattoo LOL. Needles do not scare me. If I did not have an allergy to metal Id have more piercings.