Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-19-2019, 06:27 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Default What would you do?

I am going to Singapore on holidays next month and I’m having a dilemma on whether to take my DSLR with me. I know I will take a lot of photos but if we are walking a lot I am worried that the camera will get too heavy. I have an iPhone 8+ and hubby has iPhone X so we can take decent photos either way ... would you plan to take the DSLR (Canon 7D) and if so what would you take with it and would you take your whole camera bag?

Old 04-19-2019, 06:37 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I would take the canon for such journey.
The whole camera bag.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:40 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Oh Singapore is a wonderful place to visit, Kim! I am sure you're excited for it.
When we went last year, I took photos mostly with my iPhone X and hubby is the one who carried the camera and took photos with it. He only brought one lens and 2 batteries and the charger with him, though.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I only use my phone when I travel because we tend to go places where we walk a lot. It's so much easier to quickly capture moments I never would have before if I had to drag out a big camera.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:03 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Take it!!!! To me it’s a once in a lifetime adventure and would require such a camera for quality photos!!!
Old 04-19-2019, 08:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When we went to Maui, I took my Canon. I took more photos with my phone but I was happy I took it. Especially when we went ziplining (hubby took photos since he didn't participate) and when a lot of our group jumped off of Black Rock since I stayed on the beach. There are certain instances where a good camera is a must. Enjoy your trip!

Old 04-19-2019, 09:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I struggle with that too when we travel... When we went to Italy, it was my first trip that I did solely on my iphone... I was happy to have all the photos in one place, could use apps to write notes on the photos during tours do I didn't forget some little cool nugget of information.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm solely a phone user now. My kids have newer phones than I do, and the iPhone X and newer take AMAZING photos!! I hope to upgrade my phone before our trip to Greece this fall.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I only use my phone for photos, so I would say just take the phone. But, like others have said, it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and you wouldn't want to look back on it and think, "could I have gotten better photos with my DSLR?".
I hope you have an amazing time!!
Old 04-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm back--I answered on my phone this morning and I'm not the greatest with my phone.

Back to my answer, yes I would take my DSLR. What would I take?
I'd take an Everyday Backpack. Inside the zoom lens would fit, your laptop (if you have one), extra items for the camera (charger, battery, sd cards, filters, etc). You can use their Lens Kit to add your extra lens (your zoom) to your camera strap, so when you are out and about you really only need your strap that has a lens on it and your camera. The Everyday Backpack also doubles as a carry-on, for an airplane, if you are flying as it meets carry on requirements (if carry-ons are part of your ticket)

https://www.peakdesign.com/
Old 04-19-2019, 03:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If you can bring the dslr with a zoom I would recommend it. You can use your phone for close range pics (we've got the 8Plus and the X too so I know they take pretty decent pics) and depending on where you are going, you could have a zoom for distance.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I honestly would be on the same boat as you and not know which route to go!
Old 04-19-2019, 03:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would take the canon! You have more options for photos to take, can probably zoom in better, adjust your settings easier depending on what you are taking photos of. I wouldn't take my full camera bag though. I would use a backpack as a kinda day bag. Carry your camera in that, as well as a lightweight sweatshirt/jacket/sweater, maybe your maps/guidebooks, and a purse. As a backpack, it's something you or your husband could both carry. You can even add souvenirs to the bag as you purchase them, not having to carry them sepearely.

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I'm sure you'll have an amazing time!
Old 04-19-2019, 07:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I went to Switzerland last year, and I only used my PIxel 2 phone camera. And I was SO HAPPY with my photos! Like, so very happy. And then we went on a road trip to the western US and saw the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, which were all amazing, and all I used was my camera phone. For me, it's not worth the added weight of carrying a DSLR around, especially since you'll probably do a lot of walking in Singapore. A camera phone will make your whole experience lighter.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't think i'd take the DSLR. I enjoy myself so much more without. With those iphones I think you'd be more than happy! Unless you were really wanting to get shots where you are like setting up your DSLR with a tripod and the works.. IF they are for your family albums/memories I really think you'd enjoy your experience more with just the phones. Less to worry about too.

If you follow persnickety prints on either instagram or facebook she gives lots of good tips on mobile photography and travel photography with your phone!
Old 04-19-2019, 08:21 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Hahaha thanks ladies, now I'm just as confused because there are such good arguments for both options! I still have a couple of weeks to make up my mind but I'm leaning towards taking it, even if it doesn't come out with us every day. I have a backpack camera bag that hubby will carry and my favourite lens is my 28-200 which is a great all round lens that saves switching too much. I can't wait to have new photos for scrapping!

Old 04-20-2019, 09:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'd take it then decide based on each day's activities if it's worth carrying that day. I love my phone for the convenience, but it can't compare to my mirrorless for zooming ability and clarity. When I shoot with my phone, there are always more photos that I lose out on because someone moved and they came out blurry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2019, 10:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGeling View Post
t I'm leaning towards taking it, even if it doesn't come out with us every day.
That sounds like the perfect solution. You have the DSLR if you want it, and you don't have to take it with you some days if you decide not to carry it. Have a great trip! I can't wait to see you scrap some of the photos!