Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default gah. i loathe oprah!

a tid bit on why. clearly, she is nuts!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Lizzy, the link doesn't work but without even seeing it I agree

Creating for Kristin Cronin-Barrow,Kay Miller, Shabby Miss Jehn, Kitty Design, K Studio, Ju Kneipp, Kaye Winiecki.

Seaside by Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

OK it worked and yeah she is nuts.

Creating for Kristin Cronin-Barrow,Kay Miller, Shabby Miss Jehn, Kitty Design, K Studio, Ju Kneipp, Kaye Winiecki.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sadly she has been for a while now. What's even sadder is that so many people buy into everything she says and does.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i know. she is going to end up killing people. i swear she makes me so angry!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Wish away cancer?!!!! If it were just that easy no one would die from it.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

what a whackjob!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So is Suzanne Somers even made up of living cells anymore? It sounds like she is just a mass of hormones, vitamins and supplements shaped into a likeness of Suzanne.

Going to read the rest...
Old 06-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to suze

yep Lizzy she is wacko... and wackos buy into her
Old 06-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

bold but very true statement, susan. i just can't see how you would take a word that woman says to heart. people really like look up to her for their answers in life. she makes me barf.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefamily View Post
So is Suzanne Somers even made up of living cells anymore? It sounds like she is just a mass of hormones, vitamins and supplements shaped into a likeness of Suzanne.
oh my gosh!! *snort*
Old 06-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Ok I just scanned through the rest of the article, and I stand by my whackjob statement LOL

I have never really liked her, and haven't watched in years.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

And I also blow my bubbles with a Tiffany's bubble wand.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie

I haven't liked her for years but not because of this (well this is currently part of it)... I believe very strongly that people should do good things because it's right... not to toot your own horn on national television. Yeah, lots of actors and actresses do it... but not to the extent that Oprah does... and yeah, she does a lot of stuff that she DOESNT carry on about but the fact remains... she's no longer humble and arrogance is a stinky perfume.

/rant
Old 06-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

gah. amen annie.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep. She's a nut job.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

http://www.newsweek.com/id/200025?GT1=43002 There is a corrected link.

Well now I know WHY I don't watch her. Mom talked me into watching the meopause show and I taped it and bought the book she recommended. It's sitting on a shelf somewhere...I started reading it and it was just too out there to believe it at the time. I figured I would pick it up this summer when things calmed down...but now I am thinking I should talk to my doctor when the time comes.

That's scary what Suzanne is doing to her body....gives me the shivers. What do you think will happen to her? Toxic shock from all that stuff she is putting in her body? a "new cancer" from the combination? Ewww

Last edited by Sharon Kay; 06-09-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Lizzy my BFF feels the same way about her LOL. I dont dislike her biut dont like her either.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

The entire 'Oprah cult' makes me want to hurl. She seriously needs to get over herself.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Being one of the ones who does a little 'alternative' therapy, one of the things that Somers is doing is okay in my book (progesterone cream for peri-&menopausal women) But the rest? Eegads. Can you imagine injecting your va-jayjay to do that?! I love my husband and our sex life, but that certainly wouldn't be happening.

But this is why I quit watching Oprah years ago. She does more harm than good...and her Oprah life is just out there.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I can NOT stand her and haven't been able to stomach her for years. I think she's a idiot. I'd rather watch Springer than her, at least I'll be entertained.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

She's totally nuts!!
Old 06-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Have you guys ever heard of this living Oprah blog? This lady did a year long experiment in 2008 where she followed ALL of Oprah's recommendations to see if they really made a difference. You can see her blog here, it's kind of funny: http://www.livingoprah.com/

Personally I don't care about Oprah one way or the other, but I think that like anything in life, you shouldn't follow blindly just because someone said so. That's coming from Oprah or anyone else.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You should hear my moms potty mouth when it comes to oprah too! I think she wins hands down for the biggest Oprah hater!
Old 06-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my grandma despises her. She says that Oprah uses her show as a soapbox and for her own agenda. LOL
Old 06-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Susan Bartolini

Well, I guess you can all put me down as a whackjob, idiot, nutjob, et. al. I certainly don't think that everything Oprah says or does is gospel, however, I do think she has done good and helped a lot of women self actualize. She also has a lot of interesting shows that aren't preachy at all (how to organize, decorate, budget, etc.) The Suzanne Somers thing is totally lame, but that is just something I take with a grain of salt. Any host (talk show, news, or otherwise) deserves to be viewed with a skeptical eye but I don't think it is fair to write Oprah off as a complete waste of space....and I certainly think she is hell of a lot better than freakin Springer.

Flame on....

S
Old 06-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I haven't watched her for months and months, and I haven't missed it yet.

ETA: Actually that's not true. I did watch the episode where she had Matt and Madeline. That was it. lol

Old 06-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

Well, Lizzy, you know how I feel about Oprah. I personally think she likens herself to a diety. She has been drunk with power for many, many years and I think she truly believes that her thoughts, opinions, beliefs, and values are more important than the "everyday" person.

The worst part, is that she wouldn't *have* all of this power if her crazy followers would just wake up and realize she's nothing more than a regular ol' human with tons of money.

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 06-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Well, I guess you can all put me down as a whackjob, idiot, nutjob, et. al. I certainly don't think that everything Oprah says or does is gospel, however, I do think she has done good and helped a lot of women self actualize. She also has a lot of interesting shows that aren't preachy at all (how to organize, decorate, budget, etc.) The Suzanne Somers thing is totally lame, but that is just something I take with a grain of salt. Any host (talk show, news, or otherwise) deserves to be viewed with a skeptical eye but I don't think it is fair to write Oprah off as a complete waste of space....and I certainly think she is hell of a lot better than freakin Springer.
I confess that I agree....so I guess maybe the flames will come my way too. Because I am younger, a lot of what she says when it comes to the health shows I don't even pay attention to, but I do enjoy watching some of her other things. Nate does the best decorating shows and she has really made me think and investigate on some current events and things too. In general I am a much more conservative person than she is so I just take everything with a grain of salt, but I do find some of her stuff interesting and thought provoking.

People do give her way too much power though and I think that when it comes to getting medical advice especially you should make sure you do some serious investigating and don't just do whatever someone on TV says.

The Suzanne Somers stuff is totally whack though IMO.
o
Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I don't watch her show. I don't like talk shows. I do check out her site though. I like her decorating stuff & every now then she does something interesting on relationships. I distrust everything medical I see on tv or the web & Suzanne Summers is totally overboard. Oprah would have done a better service to confront her about that rather than portraying her as she did. But at least she has people talking about it. There are meds for erectile disfunction but nothing for hot flashes. I'm not that far from menopause myself & it does give a reason to open a conversation with others about it.

"hey did you see that nut on Oprah with her injections? I am so not doing that when I hit menopause."
Old 06-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieBananie View Post
. she's no longer humble and arrogance is a stinky perfume./rant
Well said!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I stopped watching Oprah (was never religious, but got really annoyed) when Lisa Bearnson first appeared on the show many moons ago. I remember reading how Lisa was on family vacation when the invitation came through and how she and her family had to jump through hoops to be able to get the gig. I lost respect for Lisa that day, too, that she let herself be manipulated because she was so blinded by the opportunity, but I was fully annoyed that Oprah couldn't manage to pencil her in for a non-spur-of-the-moment visit when she wasn't in the middle of a camping trip or whatever it was.

I know a lot of people have been "educated" for the better because of things Oprah has done, but she lacks a degree of humility that I would appreciate from someone with that much influence.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I like Oprah. I think The Secret was silly, and I may not agree with the hormone stuff (or I might, I've not done my own research) but she's done a lot of good in this world. I don't think that just because someone believes differently on some subjects than I do that they're whack jobs or whatever. Just different. The fact is that no one's the be-all-end-all source on anything and if you're kooky enough to believe what Oprah (or your doctor for that matter) has to say is gospel then I say it's modern day survival of the fittest. LOL!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oprah HAS done good things, and she's had some interesting shows, but I haven't watched her in years...probably since she started having Dr Phil on all the time, and when she got all crazy spiritual. Now it seems she's gone crazy about health, lol. Some of the stuff she promotes is scary, though...and it's sad that so many people just blindly follow what she says.

As an avid reader, one thing that bugs me is her book club! SO many of the books she "chooses" are such CRAP! But people pretend to like them...I can't possibly understand why! Some of her choices (which I know she doesn't really choose, her staff does) have been good, but I *never* buy or read a book just because it has the Oprah sticker on it...and a lot of times I will avoid it if it does, lol.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Honestly, though...it can happen in any community! I know in the digital world itself, there are people deemed as "experts". I remember one in particular who kept just a regular old blog - others in the community would go out and buy the same things she bought her kids, whoever she said was good quality products would be insta-popular (even if their stuff was crap), she'd rant about another designer and ruin their reputation. It's not just Oprah...people in general want someone to look up to, and they manage to find someone to fit the bill.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I like ellen

thats all.. haha
Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I'm not an Oprah fan. I don't understand what is so wrong with growing old and looking old? And I just don't think that is very helpful for women to think that they have to do all this stuff to themselves just to look better. I can understand doing things to make yourself feel better but it just seems like there's so much a push to stay young.

But, I mostly have a problem with her shows that are focused on marriage. We don't share values in that area and I end up getting ticked off every time I watch. And I really dislike the marriage expert she started using a few years ago when Dr. Phil left. I think she still uses her.

Overall the show just doesn't relate to my life because I disagree with so much of the advice being given.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just think that what Lynette said is true, that people shouldn't follow blindly. I've never been a fan, even before she changed so much. I'm not downplaying anything good that she's done in the world, just that with THAT much influence on the general population, she might want to present things in a better manner, that would make people do their own research. People do things just because Oprah said so, and since she does have that much influence, she should be able to present things in a better manner.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I would rather look like an old lady than stick a needle in my hoo-hoo.

If I hadn't already stopped watching her show and subscribing to her magazine, this would have been the final straw. Or needle. Or needle in the hoo-hoo. Geez.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I gave up on Oprah years ago. She is to "New Age"ish for me and her "advice" is off the wall.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewiththewind View Post
I would rather look like an old lady than stick a needle in my hoo-hoo.

AMEN to that! I could pretty much ditto everything that Bree said about when she stopped watching, and why. And LOL, the book thing annoyed me too. Ask someone what kind of books they like, and get the answer, 'Oprah Book Club' books....arrgh! I HAVE avoided reading certain books that had her book club sticker on them.

My main problem is with ppl that take everything she says as gospel...and I've known more than a few ppl who thought if they saw it on Oprah, it was fact. I think it's sad that we live in a culture where so many ppl allow the TV and the ppl on it to do their thinking for them.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

That was likely one of the best written - or at least well thought out - articles I have read in a while! thanks, Lizzy!

Personally, I think you have to make your own decisions, think things through, and not just swallow things whole. From anyone. It's your mind, no one else's. You can use it. You get to use it. Along with your common sense - this does not smell right - reallly? seriously?? - meter.

If Oprah gets you to think, more power to her. Yet you have to think, not just veg and swallow like a drone. Because some of the stuff - umm...??

Last edited by NettieB; 06-10-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:32 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't like Oprah, either, but the warning given on the HPV vaccine last summer was spot on from everything I've read on it (and from what my doctors have told me).
Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i agree that she has done some good in the world. in fact a lot of good but like annie said its in front of a camera. there is no humble pie being eaten in oprah's kitchen i can tell you that. i would love it if she would stick to more of the household organizing, decorating shows...you know any of the lighter stuff. the thing that pisses me off most is that she does know she has a huge following and she force feeds all this medical and spiritual bologna down everyones throat. i wish she would stop trying to be a friggin all knowing guru and stick to talk show hosting. is that too friggin much to ask for?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post

Flame on....

S
Hey I'll join you! I like her to, I don't whorship at her feet, but she has done A LOT of good!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Everyone sing with me:

All hail the power of Oprah's name, let women prostrate fall...

That is what I always think when I watch her show, lol. The last episode I saw was all about HOW HAVE I CHANGED YOUR LIFE?

And while I HATE the influence she has on America, I find myself being influenced by her, too. Lots of the stuff she says makes good sense. After I watched a show about people making lifestyle choices after watchering her show, I found myself thinking about some little changes I could make.

And, btw, I wouldn't think TWICE about sticking a needle anywhere on my body if it would keep me looking young.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a talk show person in general. In all the years she's been on, I've only seen it a handful of times. I just don't have time to watch TV in the day, and if I taped it, I'd never watch it. I honestly don't care about what she has to say.

Last edited by 4noisyboys; 06-10-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyfizzy View Post
a tid bit on why. clearly, she is nuts!
She does a lot of good for people and gives tons of money away so I do respect her for that. Otherwise, I think she's a coooook......why can I not spell kook this morning.... and has a weird religious like following. What made me turn off the channel many years ago was her "spirituality" discussions where she claims to be baptist but believes and preaches opposite from it, telling all the church folks watching that it's just ducky. Be who you want and believe what you want, but just don't deceive people (I would much rather watch an atheist who is honest about it, kwim? but i guess that topic is not for this place), in my um not so humble opinion. Not a fan of the O.......used to love her long time ago.

facebook

Last edited by AmyM; 06-10-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyM View Post
Not a fan of the O.......
THE O? What does that have to do with anything? And WHY aren't you a fan!??!?!?!? ROFL

*runs away*
Old 06-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Annie. She has done good, but all the good is in the spotlight for her to get accolades and acknowledgement. The TRUE people that do good serve with NO expectations of being put in the limelight. They serve and help others because they WANT to and NOT because they want acknowledgement. In fact, they usually want to do it anonymously.