Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Busch Gardens-Tampa, FL

My husband, son, and I are heading to Tampa next week to visit my DH's business partner. On Friday, Caleb and I get to entertain ourselves while my DH does business stuff so I thought we'd go to Busch Gardens. I've looked at the website a bit, but I've never been there. Can you give me any tips, or must do activities? Or any other websites to look at before we go. I like to go in with a plan especially if it's going to be crowded. My son is 5, about 4 ft tall, so I know there are some rides he probably can't do, and he's pretty adventurous. I, on the other hand am not a big fan of the roller coasters and such because I get a little motion sickness, but I'll probably suck it up and ride what he wants to. Any info would be appreciated. Or if you have suggestions of other places to go that would be great too. I think on Saturday and Sunday we're going to be going out on a boat, and riding wave runners, etc. Thanks for any info you can give me

Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I went when I first met my DH - and all I can remember are the roller coasters - which I don't remember as something a 5yo would even be able to ride because he'd be too small.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

They have some pretty awesome shows. Try to see the musical one which has probably changed since I went was always my favorite. There is an area in Timbuktu which has rides more like fair rides. I would advise against Gwazi. My son almost slipped under the bar on that ride with me. Scared the crap out of me. The height for most I think is 54 inches so most likely he cannot do the bigger coasters like Gwazi, Montu, Cheetah Chase, Sheikra and Kumba. Those are the big ones. Defenitely do the Rhino Ralley it is really fun. Also make sure to go to Myombi Reserve. You can see the gorillas really close up. It has been a good amount of time since Ive been last. I went last when they just opened Sheikra after making it a floorless coaster which I think was 2006 or 2007. We never really have a plan when we go just hit the major coasters and try to make the two major shows. One is air conditioned inside and the other is outside next to the main locker area. There is a kids area with nets and lots of fun rides for the littler kids too. And lots of photo oppurtunities. Stanley Falls is a log flume. My son is scared of coasters but he loves it. Then you have Tidal Wave. You WILL get wet on it. Not just wet but SOAKED!! LOL It is fun though. There are like two or three smaller coasters which your son will probably be able to ride. They are not scary or fast at all and dont go upside down as far as I remember.

As for other stuff...The Lowry Zoo. It is amazing. I have been once and I fell in love. We have two other zoos in pretty close range (Central Florida and Brevard) and the Lowry Zoo is my favorite of them all.

You also have the aquarium in Tampa. You can do a dolphin excusion while there where they take you out on boats to see the dolphins. We did not do that when we went because the aquarium is really so huge and it took us awhile to get through the whole thing.

In St. Petersburg you can meet the dolphin Winter from the movie Dolphin Tale. I want to go there someday but have not made it yet. Of course we just saw the movie at the beginning of the year.

There is also a water park next to Busch Gardens (or down the road). I cannot remember the name and have never been but heard it is fun.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh and of course if you are in Tampa there are tons of beaches to go to. I love the Gulf of Mexico beaches so much but we are on the opposite coast so it takes us about 20 minutes to get to the water over here on the east coast and about two hours to get to the west coast.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I live in Tampa, but it's been a year since I've been to Busch Gardens. There are plenty of nonoller coaster rides to keep you busy for a day. If you like animals you can explore lots of different animal areas and mixed in are rides the two of you could ride together and few he could ride alone. Keep in mind that it's already in the high 80's here. So pack a bathing suit and flip flops with you to the park. There is a kids area with fountains he can cool off in and there are three rides where you can get wet. There are also some fun shows which you can schedule for the afternoon when it gets hot out and you need a rest.

They will check your bags before they go in. They allow water bottles and some light snacks but no coolers with food. The food in the park is actually pretty good. We really like the BBQ restaurant.
School is still in session here for a few more weeks so I would expect that during the week it won't be crowded but you might run in to school groups.

Other ideas for Tampa - Adventure Island. Water park right by Busch Gardens.
Lowry Park Zoo - very nice zoo, some foutain/water play areas to cool off, outside the zoo is a park where you can picnic. If you have a pass to a local zoo in your area and check and see if the pass is good here too. Lots of zoos have reciprocal relationships that allow free admission.
Museum of Science and Industry (out by Busch Gardens) - Science museum that also has an IMAX theater. If you have a local Science museum and have a family pass check to see if you can visit here for free on your pass.
Florida Aquarium - this only takes a few hours to visit. There is a great splash/play area out back that overlooks the channel/cruise ship area. You can sit out there with a drink and watch him play.
If you aren't looking for a full day thing there are lots of places to do trampoline jumping, bowling, ice skating, etc. If you like baseball the Rays might be playing in town that weekend. We also have several minor league teams in town which are super cheap to see a game and a lot offer fireworks for free on the weekend.

I hope that helps! What area are you staying in?

Last edited by julifish; 05-22-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

have to agree with the zoo, aquarium and the science center!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
have to agree with the zoo, aquarium and the science center!
Ditto! And I vote for AIR CONDITIONING. I told my family last weekend "Enjoy this, kids. This is the last outing we are doing until November!" LOL! It's just too hot now. I hate being out in the sun when it's so intense.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you so much for all the info ladies! I'm pretty sure we will go ahead and do Busch gardens. I know it will be hot, but I'm a Texas girl and fairly used to the heat.
Juli, I'm actually not sure where we are staying. We are staying with Roy, my dh's partner, and all I know is that he lives on the Bay. Not sure how much that narrows it down. I'd rather stay in a hotel, but he and his wife wanted us to stay with them.