Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2018, 11:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default scanning layouts/storage

SOOOO
We spent the entire weekend clearing out my office/craft room. It will become DD1's room. Who knew such a small room could store that much stuff?!!!
Anyway, I have a ton of scrapbooks made with paper and chunky embellishments that are stored in 3 ring binders. I am considering scanning these (or taking a photo) and tossing the originals?? I can print Shutterfly photo books that take up a fraction of the space.

Thoughts??
Old 11-12-2018, 12:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think if they have no sentimental value (physically, other than the photos/stories) then go for it ...I'm all about space and organization.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I often photographed the kids artwork when they were smaller. Saved so much space. I think as long as you have it documented/photographed, it doesn't matter what format it's in. I say go for it.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Why not? It will take up so much less space.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:21 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've heard that suggestion before, and from a space perspective it makes total sense. But I'm going to be the voice of semi-dissent. Before you toss anything, photograph or scan some pages and print the smallest photobook you can (20 pages?) of them. If you like the results, then do it for everything.

Personally, I've never been able to get good scans or photos of printed photos. The photos never appear as sharp in my copies as the original photo was or there's a glare someplace on the photo. I haven't tried with paper scrapbook pages, but I don't think I'd be able to get a high enough quality photo or scan to consider it a replacement for the original.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

If you have a flatbed scanner, I would recommend using it at a very high DPI. Like Rachel said, scanned photos rarely have the quality that the original have. I would scan a couple and print them somewhere cheap - like Costco, just so you can see how it will look.

My daughter is the only one I have full paper-scrapped albums for. I asked her if she wanted me to scan or re-do them digitally. She was upset and said she loves her albums and wouldn't want them redone, but she doesn't have room for those massive, heavy albums! LOL!!

Sorry, I know that's no help, but maybe see how your kids feel about it (if they are their albums).
Old 11-13-2018, 11:55 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Great input everyone- thank you!
I have already gone through and am giving Family Members 4 scrapbooks worth of LOs. These are LOs of other's Kids before I had Kids. They can decide what to do with them- lol!
I will try to photography (with Canon Mark ii for highest quality) and print as a tester. You know, in my free time. LOL!!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalund View Post
Great input everyone- thank you!
I have already gone through and am giving Family Members 4 scrapbooks worth of LOs. These are LOs of other's Kids before I had Kids. They can decide what to do with them- lol!
I will try to photography (with Canon Mark ii for highest quality) and print as a tester. You know, in my free time. LOL!!
That's a fabulous idea! I just helped a friend scan tons of photos that were pre-digi. She was reluctant to through anything away, so that's what she did - gave them to the people who may (or may not) want them. It was very freeing for her.