Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default What's up with the gallery comments at scrapbook.com?

Can I post that?

There are a few people posting comments about putting layouts in the digital layouts category instead of "layouts." Does anyone know if there are any rules or guidelines? I tried to look but didn't see anything. To me, extra categories are always kind of optional... not the mention there are WAY more views when I just put it in the layouts category.

I know I'm not alone! Some people are commenting everywhere about it!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Yes - I got a few of those right in a row late last week. It kind of discouraged me from posting there at all. The Layout category doesn't specify "Paper," so I didn't think I was breaking any rules by posting there. I wish I could go delete those comments, but I don't think I can.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I'd FWD them to an admin there since the ones I've seen are just from members not moderators or admin..and what is wrong with posting for INSPIRATION..really a layout is a layout whether paper or digi IMO.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 06-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I thought they were just from members. Which really just means they don't want to look at them right?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't had these types of comments in my gallerie, but I think that you should report them, since the category says "layouts" and not "paper layouts"
Old 06-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I can't get a confirmation email to get signed in there. I have had that issue before with other galleries though.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
I'd FWD them to an admin there since the ones I've seen are just from members not moderators or admin..and what is wrong with posting for INSPIRATION..really a layout is a layout whether paper or digi IMO.
Exactly. A layout is a layout as far as I'm concerned. Who named them the scrapbooking police anyway? I'd just report them and not worry about it.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Seems that they (the members) are on a mission. There is a thread in their forum about digi gals posting in the layout cateogry and not the digital layout category.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I got a few of those too in the last couple of days so I thought something was up......I went and peeked in the forum there and there is a huge "is is really that hard to post digital LOs in the digital category"....etc. it's kind of turned into a big bashing thread, but I thought something must have been up.

It's frustrating because I've had a lot of paper scrappers fave my stuff (as I'm sure you all have who post there), so it must mean they like looking at them........

Oh well.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yep..I've been getting them too...so rude..especially to leave a comment on your layout about it..geesh.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

geez that thread is so elitist. shall we have separate "paper" and "digi" water fountains now? Let's make sure all digi artists sit in the BACK of the bus too! We wouldn't want them to get our digi cooties.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't gotten one yet but it's disappointing. I've gotten some really nice comments/views/faves there and I enjoy browsing their gallery, ALL of it. I mistakenly thought that whole paper vs digi thing had mellowed....a lot of those posters just sound nasty and insecure.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindys732003 View Post
It's frustrating because I've had a lot of paper scrappers fave my stuff (as I'm sure you all have who post there), so it must mean they like looking at them........

Oh well.
See, this is what I don't get either because I've gotten nothing but really positive comments, including the layout I posted this morning. Clearly some people there like looking at them and even if you don't, so what? Move on to the next one, is it really that hard? Good grief.

And LOL Traci, I was totally thinking the same thing.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

People have too much time on their hands if they are upset that something is in the wrong gallery. It's still a LO, and the gallery is still an open gallery, so get over it.

I mean really. It seems like most of the complaints is that it's not something they can buy. Well yea, actually, it's all something you can buy, you just don't WANT to because heaven forbid you use a DIGI product on your precious paper page. Oy. Good thing I don't give a hoot and will continue to post in the LAYOUT gallery because THAT IS WHAT IT IS.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Geez. That's rude! If it was labeled "Paper Layouts" I could understand the frustration... but it's not. It's just labeled "Layouts."

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
People have too much time on their hands if they are upset that something is in the wrong gallery. It's still a LO, and the gallery is still an open gallery, so get over it.

I mean really. It seems like most of the complaints is that it's not something they can buy. Well yea, actually, it's all something you can buy, you just don't WANT to because heaven forbid you use a DIGI product on your precious paper page. Oy. Good thing I don't give a hoot and will continue to post in the LAYOUT gallery because THAT IS WHAT IT IS.
I know. There was a comment from someone about how "she had yet to figure out how to glue a digi element to her paper layouts." Umm, it's called a PRINTER. Do they think scrapbook paper is made by magic? It ALL starts on a computer, the point at which it is printed out is just different.

I wasn't annoyed until I read that thread. I really hope the attitude in that thread isn't representative of the community as a whole.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's somehow a disappointment to learn that there are bashers in the scrapbooking world, even though it really doesn't surprise me. I've been a member of several online communities so far, changing with time as my hobbies have changed (I used to write Star Wars and Harry Potter fanfiction, had a blog, was active on Shakira-dedicated forum) and there are bashers everywhere (and I still think you haven't met a basher until you've met a Star Wars basher - those are just... hard to describe with words, really).

That said, I was (and still am) really pleased to find out that SSD forum is such a basher-free community, it's SUCH a relief.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:55 PM

profile gallery send pm

If I got that comment I probably would have made a snide remark about the magic of printers and real glue.

I cannot stand the elitism. One person suggested the irritation comes from searching the layout gallery for products. If you search for something like "Cosmo Cricket" as a product, you're not gonna get any friggen digital layouts in your results because they don't MAKE digital products. Someone else mentioned searching "distressed papers" (which, serioously? Who is searching that?!), and again a digital layout isn't going to show up unless someone used a particular distressed paper pack or something. And seriously, I don't care how effing slow your internet connection is, CLICK NEXT. 90% of the stuff that shows up in the results isn't relevant, whether it's paper OR digi.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:57 PM

profile gallery send pm

I have received sooo many kind comments on my layouts over there. I was really enjoying posting stuff there, but after going through that thread a little bit, I am entirely annoyed. I think I will leave them to their business and not burden them with my digi layouts anymore.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I've never posted there, and after reading the entire thread, I am glad of it. Kudos to Shannon for her post...you were very nice about what you had to say...not sure I could have been.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow- I went and read the post and Im so glad that I dont post over there. I can't believe people are taking time out of their day to complain over something so trivial.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:20 PM

profile gallery send pm

I posted. Hopefully I came across as nice, I wasn't trying to start/continue the fight, but I def wanted to lend a little support to the digital side.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

It's a great post Col, but I hope you have your flame retardant suit on because I can see them tearing you to shreds over it.

I forgot how friggin' catty people are on other messageboards. Wow... we really have it good here.

Your post did give me a lightbulb moment though as you were talking about taking inspiration from a mini-book to make a card or a card to make a full-size layout, etc. Gosh we are a creative bunch :P It's fun to think outside the box and look at the world and other people as something to be inspired by rather than to make a shopping list from.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What annoys me is they act like our layouts won't get seen unless they're in the digital gallery. That's crap because no one looks in the digital gallery there. I actually have a layout in the general 'layout' category that has 47 comments (no nitpicky comments either) and almost 800 views. You can't tell me our layouts would get that much exposure in the 'digital' gallery. I do like the comments, but I'm just happy to have a place where my layouts actually get more than just a couple of views...I like the exposure it gives the designers I CT for. I'll just keep posting in the 'layout' category until an admin there tells me otherwise. Like pp have said - it's not like we're posting in the 'paper layouts' category. I've been pretty annoyed about this because I keep getting comments on my pages from the same 2 people....it's getting old, but they won't make me change my mind. I actually have really enjoyed posting there up until those comments started....so many nice people there. Too bad it's always a few that have to ruin the fun.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I sure as heck posted in the silly thread-yesterdayude people! What really ticked me off is someone was insinuating that we couldn't READ...WTheck.

Last edited by ZaCola3; 06-22-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Shannon I love what you said!! I saw that yesterday!!

Col - I just read what you posted and wow - you are so right on and said everything so well!!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:35 PM

profile gallery send pm

Well I'm glad you liked it at least Robin, lol. Cuz I posted and then was like "OH NO! What have I done?! ::PANIC::"
Old 06-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know, I love posting there because of all the views. I'm thrilled to even get 50 views over there! So much better than other places... and I totally agree Laurie, they feel bad for us because it won't get viewed by people searching digi layouts. And the comments really are SO good over there.

I think it's really only what, 5-10 people... out of probably thousands? But because they keep going on that thread and won't give it up... it seems like a much bigger deal than it is. Crazy.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well said, Colleen in your post at SB! If the site doesn't want digi-layouts added, then they need to change their policy... *roll eyes* it's just so silly to have 9 pages of people ranting about it!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Well I'm glad you liked it at least Robin, lol. Cuz I posted and then was like "OH NO! What have I done?! ::PANIC::"
Well I could fire you for participating in community dramatics, just keep your head about you and I won't have to do that :P
Old 06-22-2010, 02:46 PM

profile gallery send pm

Done and done Robin

They don't want to listen anyway.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I thought your posts were great Colleen!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Wow. Guess I'm done posting layouts over there! They were so incredibly RUDE in that thread. We don't know how to read? Well, there is NOWHERE that says we have to post in the digital section.

I hate the paper vs digi mentality. I thought it wasn't as bad any more, but apparently it is.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I say we flood their "layout" gallery now!! Let's see if their panties can get anymore in a wad. LOL!!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Will be interesting to see. Thing is, that thread is just the same half-dozen people when there are thousands and thousands that post to the site. One of the gals posted a comment on my page this morning (a nice comment, but made a point to notice it was digital) and then went and said something in the thread. I'm tempted to send her a GC to buy the paper she wants.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalhartley View Post
I'm tempted to send her a GC to buy the paper she wants.
LMAO!!! Now that would be funny

Old 06-22-2010, 03:07 PM

profile gallery send pm

I'm done, cuz like I said, they don't want to listen anyway.

But, I am SO TEMPTED to go buy a digital pack of Basic Grey stuff in a collection I already own IRL, and create 2 of the exact same friggen layouts and see what happens. "I want fresh mushrooms vs canned mushrooms" and "I don't want to look at digital or even hybrid" really got me. THAT is where the paper vs digi battle line is. I don't even want to look at it, because I'm so closed minded I can't FATHOM applying a design principal from a digital or hybrid page into a traditional page. Oy.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalhartley View Post
Will be interesting to see. Thing is, that thread is just the same half-dozen people when there are thousands and thousands that post to the site. One of the gals posted a comment on my page this morning (a nice comment, but made a point to notice it was digital) and then went and said something in the thread. I'm tempted to send her a GC to buy the paper she wants.
Hahah, I would do it!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm done, cuz like I said, they don't want to listen anyway.

But, I am SO TEMPTED to go buy a digital pack of Basic Grey stuff in a collection I already own IRL, and create 2 of the exact same friggen layouts and see what happens. "I want fresh mushrooms vs canned mushrooms" and "I don't want to look at digital or even hybrid" really got me. THAT is where the paper vs digi battle line is. I don't even want to look at it, because I'm so closed minded I can't FATHOM applying a design principal from a digital or hybrid page into a traditional page. Oy.
See, this is what got me completely annoyed too. They don't want to even LOOK at a digi layout. As if you can't draw inspiration from anything for a paper page, other than another paper page. How many of us have lifted paper scrappers' pages?

I think it's ridiculous. If there is no rule that we can't post in the "layout" section, then they need to stop bringing it up until there is.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

and don't you just love the few that are saying "it's not about paper vs digi" oh, it totally is!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:17 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
See, this is what got me completely annoyed too. They don't want to even LOOK at a digi layout. As if you can't draw inspiration from anything for a paper page, other than another paper page. How many of us have lifted paper scrappers' pages?

I think it's ridiculous. If there is no rule that we can't post in the "layout" section, then they need to stop bringing it up until there is.
Yes - and they seem to think that digi people don't even want to LOOK at paper layouts. How wrong they are!! I for one, and I know sooooo many more of us digi girls, use paper layouts as inspiration on a regular basis. So, why they feel the need to gouge their eyes out when they see a digi layout is beyond me. Whatever.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah8914 View Post
and don't you just love the few that are saying "it's not about paper vs digi" oh, it totally is!
I was just going to post this!! Even in the first few posts of the thread they started out digi-bashing.

I have to say that I actually really enjoy looking through the layout gallery. Of course I'm biased and think all of the digi layouts are the best, but I can appreciate the work that goes into the paper layouts and the inspiration I can get from them.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I had to post, and made a point that we DO look at paper pages for inspiration. Especially when my mojo is low, I look everywhere and anywhere to help jog my creativity.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

At the beginning of that thread, I was all set to not actually start posting there, but by the end, I thought screw 'em and posted one. It says LAYOUTS, not PAPER layouts. If they want it seperate, start a gallery.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I give you points for trying Col. Too bad they aren't willing to even listen. The think that irks me about the paper world (and this isn't just at Scrapbook.com, there was an episode of Paperclipping Roundtable that had the same "attitude"), is that they make comments about digital that are in my opinion kind of rude and offensive, but as soon as you say something about it, they act like they didn't mean it that way and it's just digi people being sensitive. Except how ELSE can you mean it?? I mean that whole thread just reeks of anti-digi sentiment. I feel like the whole thing is very separate but equal, like we gave you your own lesser gallery because we don't want your digi-cooties in ours. It's ridiculous.

Maybe this is just me, but the only reason I started posting at SB.com was to get exposure for our products and layouts from people outside the digi-world. If I wanted only digi people to look at my layouts, I would just post at places like DST and MSA like I always have. Luckily the response most places has been really positive. It's just a shame there are people who feel the need to ruin the fun.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went and read that discussion. Colleen, thumbs up to you for trying!

Paper vs digi suddenly reminds me of the good old "original trilogy vs prequel trilogy" in Star Wars that got so far at one point that I just had to leave the fandom. Both clashes are equally pointless. Who cares? There are good sides to both and it's always more interesting to have a wider choice. And one can appreciate something one doesn't do, or can't they.

I'd say they might either divide "paper LOs" and "digi LOs" at SB or they might even merge them and just make a "LO" category. That way things might be clear. But why should someone say that they refuse to look at digi LOs is beyond my comprehension.

I have to repeat that I'm amazed at all of this. Never had an idea there was something like that going on since SSD is so friendly! I can remember that even La's politics discussion was nice despite differing opinions.

I'm truly happy that I discovered this community.

Last edited by adrianka; 06-22-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:46 PM

profile gallery send pm

Reason #89560489023 why SSD rocks my socks, lol.

Are those of you who upload there checking any of the technique boxes? That's what the one girl is claiming causes them to show up in the searches, which is what half of their argument is. Things like distressing, inking, etc, that sort of thing?
Old 06-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't check any of them Col.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't check any of them either...I just put my credits in and hit submit...
Old 06-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I don't think I check em