Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default Vitamix

Who has one?

Jeff is really wanting us to do this for Christmas for each other in lieu of other gifts, and I'm considering it. I've seen a Blendtech demonstration before, and I understand that Vitamix is very similar. Jeff used to have one (the ex got it), so he knows we'd use it a ton. We've talked about getting one for years. Still, that's a LOT of money to spend on a blender (around $400).

So, for those of you who have one, sell me on it! What do you use it for? How often do you use it? Would you say it's worth the money?
Old 11-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Ripal has one and Heather has one and I have to listen to them go on and on and on about how wonderful it is and how it makes their lives SO much easier.

blah blah blah :::::::: insert the I'm so stinkin' jealous they have one and I don't smilie here ::::::::::::: blah blah blah.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I'm another with Vitamix-envy. Maybe one day...
Old 11-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

I have wanted one for a couple of years. I bought one at Costco about 18 months ago, but it was on a whim, so I took it back, feeling that it was bad to spend $400 on a whim. I miss it and know I could get more veges and healthy stuff down my kids(and myself) if I had one. DH quit his job and is currently job hunting. So my deal with him, is if he secures a new position before Christmas I get the vitamix. Get one!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mark says it's the best appliance we've ever bought, I use it every day and that makes him happy... because he really didn't want to get it initially but he really is glad I convinced him it was worth the money... I gave up my 10 year anniversary vacation for it and I also think it was totally worth it!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Heather, is it easy to clean? I'd love to use it every day, but I hate the thought of having to take a lot of time cleaning it after each use.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Easiest thing to clean....

5 cups of water and a drop of soap and turn it on high for 5 seconds, rinse and viola!!!!

and once a month I put in 2 cups of vinegar, turn it on high for 5 minutes, and rinse
Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oooh that's tempting. Jeff wants me to go to Sam's Club tomorrow after church because the guy is there doing the demonstration this weekend. He's sure that the demo will sell me on it (and he's probably right. LOL) I'm just so cheap that I hate to spend a lot of money on something like that when I know we have more responsible things to spend it on.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Libby, I think it's a very responsible purchase if it'll help you to eat even healthier.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have one, but I do want one. I know Chris thinks its ridiculous to spend that much. He also thought I was nuts for getting my Nutrimill though, and that has been used a ton.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
Oooh that's tempting. Jeff wants me to go to Sam's Club tomorrow after church because the guy is there doing the demonstration this weekend. He's sure that the demo will sell me on it (and he's probably right. LOL) I'm just so cheap that I hate to spend a lot of money on something like that when I know we have more responsible things to spend it on.
the cheapest you'll find it is at those road shows, just FYI
Old 11-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

That's good to know! I was wondering if I could find it cheaper online. Sounds like this might end up being a good deal. That's still a crap load of money though. LOL
Old 11-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've already told DH we're getting one next spring with our tax return...
Old 11-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

Quote:
The demo is what sold me on wanting it. My kids and I spent an hour one day tasting all different things the man was making at Costco. And I have never heard anybody say they wish they hadn't have bought the Vitamix.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My family is not a blending family - even growing up, my mom only used it to make my dad a shake during the hottest part of summer... today, only hubby uses the bullet to make a protein shake in the morning... what would I use it for?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
Ripal has one and Heather has one and I have to listen to them go on and on and on about how wonderful it is and how it makes their lives SO much easier.

blah blah blah :::::::: insert the I'm so stinkin' jealous they have one and I don't smilie here ::::::::::::: blah blah blah.
ROFL!!!!!!

Yeap! it's worth every penny for me! I bought it about 3 yrs ago and I've already got 3500 cycles on it - Blendtec has counter of cycles. Makes you feel you're making your money worth.

I was drooling over Vita-mix for YEARS!!!!! I knew I would use it, but couldn't justify the cost. Once I saw demo of Blendtec, I was totally sold ( I had seen Vitamix demo every time they were in Costco). I liked the fact that Blendtec was less expensive than Vitamix, 'shorter', only one container to clean.. no blades to put together, square container - easier to clean, no temper, no need of second container to grind dry things....

Other than that, both are equally good in quality. It's just matter of preference. I use mine at least once a day. Every morning, I make green smoothie for breakfast. If it wasn't for Blendtec, I wouldn't be getting as much greens as I do now! Kids use it to make milkshakes, smoothies, pesto.. I also use it to grind spices. Vitamix has dry container that you can grind grains and spices. I use it to make onion-tamato gravy.

You won't regret getting it! In a long run, it really is worth every penny!

so, there goes my blah blah blah....
Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just went to the website to see what the big deal was, and now I want one to make soup! I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost, but maybe one day. (Says the woman who doesn't even have a regular blender because I don't want another kitchen appliance taking up space.)
Old 11-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How is it different than a regular blender?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Blendtec

Amy, it pulverizes everything rather than keeping things chunky. In my green smoothie, I use apple, celery sticks, spinach, lettuce, kale, frozen strawberries, apple, bananas.. I run two 1 minute cycles and there are no fibers... everything is blended to creamy texture.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

you can blend even an avocado seed with it, that's how powerful it is... and I make homemade ice cream with mine all the time... and soup in the winter... like literally put it all in the blender and mix on high for 5 minutes and the horsepowers heats it up, sooo cool!!! And yeah, I love that my green smoothies aren't chunky LOL

the thing with regular blenders is that you have to add extra liquid in order for it to mix and blend well... with the Blendtec or Vitamix you just put in your fruits and veggies and some frozen fruit and it makes a nice creamy smoothie, with no added water or liquid

and seriously, I don't have to buy ice cream with all the crap in it... just put a few frozen bananas and some fruit and I've got ice cream in less than a minute with no added sugar or anything, so yummy... or my fave is frozen bananas with peanut butter and some cocoa, YUM!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
and seriously, I don't have to buy ice cream with all the crap in it... just put a few frozen bananas and some fruit and I've got ice cream in less than a minute with no added sugar or anything, so yummy... or my fave is frozen bananas with peanut butter and some cocoa, YUM!!!
I just used my last frozen banana this morning in my smoothie! I'll have to remember this for next time!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My Ninja blender pulverizes everything. I've done smoothies with some pretty hard/chunky ingredients and it liquefies them.

That said, we'd never use one enough to justify the cost. The blender we have barely gets enough use to justify the cost of it. It was about half the price of the Vitamix.

We aren't really a blending kind of family either...
Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use a blender to make all kinds of creamy soups. I've wondered whether a vitamix would make this task easier.

We are not really a smoothie family though...so I'm not sure I could justify the cost for making creamy soup!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My mom has one...LOVES it!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What is it with men and juicers? I hate to be the skeptic but my Dad and my hubby both went through their Vitamix phase -- lasted a few months, then mothballed. I suppose if you were using it as a blender, maybe it would have greater staying power, but as you said, it's a very expensive blender.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I refuse to look this up. I refuse. Why? I don't have any more counter space! lol.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlathrall View Post
I refuse to look this up. I refuse. Why? I don't have any more counter space! lol.
I was just thinking the same thing! Have never even heard of this...

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I just thought of you. Tomorrow on QVC the Vitamix is the Deal of the Day. I don't know what the price will be but it will most likely be on Easy Pay! If you aren't familiar with QVC, that means it will be divided into payments but you make the first payment up front and they send you the item right away. You can then make the rest of the payments over time. Maybe that would make it more affordable for you!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well good news, bad news, and more good news. LOL

Good news - I went to the demo today and caved. I still sorta get nauseous over the price, but I really can see us using this all the time. I tried lots of yummy things that he made tonight (soup, peanut butter, sorbet, smoothies, crushed ice), and I was definitely impressed.

Bad news - We got home with our new Vitamix and our cart full of produce ready to make after-dinner smoothies for dessert. We got it out, watched the instructional dvd, filled it with water to clean it before the first use... only to discover that we got a dud. It doesn't work. at all. Won't even come on. I tried different outlets, positioned the container in different directions, and nada. It's dead.

Good news - Thanks to Roni's tip above, I went on the qvc website and discovered that they have a newer model (7500 vs 5200) for about 70 more than what I paid tonight, and it IS on easy pay. So, Jeff is thinking that we should just order that one and take this one back to Sam's Club tomorrow. Part of me thinks we should wait and talk to the demo guy tomorrow, but IDK how long it usually takes stuff like this to sell out on qvc. So, I don't want to wait so long that this isn't even an option.

So anyway, the drama continues! LOL Thanks for all the tips!!
Old 12-02-2012, 02:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Gotta agree with all that Heather has said! We would go through cheap blender after cheap blender and we finally bought a Vitamix a couple years ago when we saw a really good deal on it at a promo set-up in the store. It has been one of our best purchases! What would we do without it?! We make soup in ours too! We also make our own butter. We make our own peanut butter. And, yes, finally a blender that will really make my smoothies SMOOTH without chunks of ice! lol
Old 12-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well, Jeff returned the one we got at Sam's Club last night. He talked to the demo guy. I felt really bad because I know those guys work on commission. He even took the one we returned out of the box and tried it, and it didn't work for him either. He said he'd NEVER seen anything like it in the 5 years he's been doing this as they test every single mixer before they package it. Strange!

Anyway, I ordered my new one from QVC today, and it should be here next week!!
Old 12-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh and here is the QVC listing if anyone is interested.

Vitamix 7500
Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have counter space either, Marla. Half my appliances are on a bookcase next to my fridge. I wish I had more counter space!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So crazy... sounds like it worked out for the better though and makes you feel more at ease about the price
Old 12-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Libby, I'm so happy QVC worked out for you! $100 at a time is much easier to swallow than $400+ all at once! I hope you love your new blender! The demonstrations on QVC are making me want one too. That won't happen though. You should scrap about your Vitamix! Lol.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm happy to say that in approximately 10 days I'll no longer have Vitamix envy! Thanks, Roni, for posting about the QVC Today's Special Value!!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Woot!! Kate, I'm so excited that you're getting one, too!!

We all need to share our favorite recipes as we start playing!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree! I'm really looking forward to making hummus. I tried to make it in my blender once and it was just too much of a pain. I'm also looking forward to starting to make green smoothies. I tried those in the blender, too, and they were just a bit too chunky.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My VitaMix came today and I think I'm in love. With a kitchen appliance. Is that possible?

I've used it five times already and it seriously rocks!

Let's see... I made a smoothie for lunch, chicken & rice soup (I blended the soup base then added the chicken & rice), banana "ice cream" for a snack when the boys got home from school, hummus, and ham salad.

Now I have to clean up the kitchen
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

HA! Ours came tonight! We only had time for smoothies before Jeff left for school, but he's stopping by the grocery store on the way home to pick up some essentials!

I love it, too!!! What color did you get?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That's so cool, Libby!

I got cinnamon. It was either that, red, or black and I decided I wanted a bit of color in my kitchen What color did you get?

I'm excited to do my meal planning for next week and do my shopping tomorrow so that I can play some more!! What are you planning to make next?

Last edited by KateD; 12-06-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I got red cause, like you, I wanted a little color in the kitchen. LOL

I need to look through the recipe book and decide for sure what I want to make.

I know I want to find a good coffee drink recipe, and I found a pumpkin pie smoothie recipe on the vitamix site that I want to do when my oldest daughter is here for Christmas (she LOVES pumpkin pie). I think the next thing I want to do is a green smoothie. We did the "Sailor Man Smoothie" at the demo the other night, and it was amazing. So, maybe we'll start there.

We also have some homemade peanut butter that we did at the demo the other night (he sent us home with the leftovers), so I can highly recommend that, too.

Honestly, I want to do it ALL! LOL
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It's so fun to see you both so excited about your Vitamix!!!! Enjoy!!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I got red cause, like you, I wanted a little color in the kitchen. LOL

I need to look through the recipe book and decide for sure what I want to make.

I know I want to find a good coffee drink recipe, and I found a pumpkin pie smoothie recipe on the vitamix site that I want to do when my oldest daughter is here for Christmas (she LOVES pumpkin pie). I think the next thing I want to do is a green smoothie. We did the "Sailor Man Smoothie" at the demo the other night, and it was amazing. So, maybe we'll start there.

We also have some homemade peanut butter that we did at the demo the other night (he sent us home with the leftovers), so I can highly recommend that, too.

Honestly, I want to do it ALL! LOL
I know the feeling! That sailor man smoothie sounds good. I'd like to start having a green smoothie for breakfast. Hopefully I can get my hubby on board, too, so that I'm not making two different breakfasts

There's a recipe in the book for sweet potato soup that I may try tomorrow. I just happen to have the ingredients for that one on hand. After making the hummus, I think that I could make refried beans in there, too. They may turn out too smooth, but it's worth a try.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripal View Post
It's so fun to see you both so excited about your Vitamix!!!! Enjoy!!!!
Thanks, Ripal!

I know my initial excitement will wear off, but I can tell already that I'm going to use it every day. It's really going to change the way I cook and improve our diet. I think it'll even help me sneak some extra veggies into things I'd never have gotten away with before
Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yeah I'm excited to try hummus in there. We've always done homemade hummus in the magic bullet, but I think it'll be a lot more smooth and creamy in the vitamix.

Speaking of hummus, we've been doing a homemade flatbread pizza with hummus used instead of pizza sauce. I like the Flatout Light brand flat breads. I just bake the bread to get it crispy then spread a healthy amount of hummus on it. Top with sauteed veggies like onion, mushroom, zucchini, and fresh spinach. Add a little bit of mozzarella cheese and bake for like 15 ish minutes. SO SO SO SO good. It's like my favorite food right now. LOL DH likes to add black olives and pineapple to his, too. (Weirdo)
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
Thanks, Ripal!

I know my initial excitement will wear off, but I can tell already that I'm going to use it every day. It's really going to change the way I cook and improve our diet. I think it'll even help me sneak some extra veggies into things I'd never have gotten away with before
This exactly. Chloe (9 1/2 months old) tonight was gulping down part of the smoothie that we made. We didn't follow a recipe... just added a bunch of random stuff in, but it was totally healthy (avocado, oatmeal, lots of different fruits, some raw sunflower seeds). So, I can see us just teaching her early on that those "weird" things just taste good. LOL
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The hummus was awesome! So much better than store-bought and it was so much easier to make than in our blender - I tried making it once and it was too hard to be worth it so I never made it again. I even left the skins on this time and it came out so creamy! That hummus pizza sounds yummy. Unfortunately, nobody else in the family likes veggies much. I suppose I could always make it with sausage...

I would have never thought of putting oatmeal in a smoothie! We normally have oatmeal for breakfast and I'd like to replace that with a smoothie, but I still would like to eat some oatmeal. What a great way to do that! Do you just put it in uncooked?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yep! We just put 1/4 cup uncooked in yesterday, but Jeff said yesterday that when he used to do it, he would put up to an entire cup in. He was just trying to show me that you really couldn't taste it (I was scared of the texture issue). He was right though. I never would've known it was in there.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cool - I'll definitely try that!

I just finished making my meal plan and shopping list. It's a good thing that I made the meal plan - otherwise I think I'd have enough food to make 3 weeks worth of meals. I want to try so many of the recipes!!